2022 Season

Cincy_Futbol

Predictions for 2022?

D1: Is it Mason, Anderson, St. X, Centerville, and Moeller again?

D2: Wyoming, Oakwood, Bellbrook, and Indian Hill?

D3: Madeira, Mariemont, CCD?

Any teams lose to much to be competitive or any teams gain enough to crack the top?

Bellbrook will take a step back. Lost their All-American striker and the best class in a few years will graduate this spring. Goalie and defense will have to carry the day as the offense will be significantly weaker.

Is this a year where we get enrollment numbers figured again?

Seem to recall they skipped a year due to Covid?

Madeira lost 50 goals with the graduating seniors…defense and goal keeping will still be top notch…will need to find goals to make another run..

Mike Combs moves from Mason to Seven Hills and brings in Omar Cummings to be the assistant. Big time move by Seven Hills.

Is this a year where we get enrollment numbers figured again?

Seem to recall they skipped a year due to Covid?
Yes it is. The pre-competitive balance figures are published on the OHSAA site already...and you can find links on the football forum page under the enrollments thread. Looking at the Dayton area numbers.....Carroll may drop back to D-2. They are down about 30 boys from the last enrollment cycle. Final approved CB included numbers and divisioning will be published after approval by the OHSAA board in June.

Mike Combs moves from Mason to Seven Hills and brings in Omar Cummings to be the assistant. Big time move by Seven Hills.
Mike is a great coach and a friend…I hope he does well although not against my Stangs ?…Used to love watching his teams at Cincinnati State..

From the Youngstown area:

D1 still doesn't much to compete with Cleveland, but who does? Austintown Fitch has a new coach which might bear fruit down the road but they will be young.

In D2 Howland will still be the class of the area. They have 5-6 starters returning but will also have a lot of youth. Poland won't be far behind as they may have the best player in the area. Canfield, like Fitch, hired a new coach who in time will do some really nice things. All 3 play good out of conference games to get ready for the post season.

In D3 Crestview, Mooney and Ursuline will battle it out to see who gets out of the area. Crestview returns about half their lineup from last years State Finalists including the states leading scorer in Nick Novak (57). Mooney has about half their group back after last years OT loss in the district final to Crestview. Ursuline brings back 9 starters from a group that lost to Crestview in the regional semis. It's very possible one of them gets to Columbus to make it 3 years in a row with a state finalist in this area from D3. All 3 will play some very good schedules so don't be deceived by their records.

About 100 days til friday night futbol!

D1 still doesn't much to compete with Cleveland, but who does? Austintown Fitch has a new coach which might bear fruit down the road but they will be young.

In D2 Howland will still be the class of the area. They have 5-6 starters returning but will also have a lot of youth. Poland won't be far behind as they may have the best player in the area. Canfield, like Fitch, hired a new coach who in time will do some really nice things. All 3 play good out of conference games to get ready for the post season.

In D3 Crestview, Mooney and Ursuline will battle it out to see who gets out of the area. Crestview returns about half their lineup from last years State Finalists including the states leading scorer in Nick Novak (57). Mooney has about half their group back after last years OT loss in the district final to Crestview. Ursuline brings back 9 starters from a group that lost to Crestview in the regional semis. It's very possible one of them gets to Columbus to make it 3 years in a row with a state finalist in this area from D3. All 3 will play some very good schedules so don't be deceived by their records.

As a long-time D3 coach, I was extremely impressed by what Crestview achieved in the state semifinals and state championship game (saw both of these on video). Ottawa Hills was an excellent team, and the state semi win there was monumental for a program with such limited experience deep in the tournament. While outclassed by Grandview Heights in the final, to be able to come back to tie that game (from down 0-2) with a gritty end of half goal and another early in the second against a side that will be favored to win back-to-back state championships showed extraordinary toughness. My understanding is that the co-coaches were in their first year as varsity head coaches, and they certainly got my attention. Ottawa Hills and Grandview Heights both return more than half of their starting lineups (I'd estimate 7-8 starters for each), so I expect them to be #1 and #2 in the state polls, but we'll see if teams like Crestview emerge in 2022.

I don't know as much about D2, but being in the same league as Wyoming and Indian Hill, I have some awareness. Very, very few coaches have matched what the Howland coach has done in his time with that school (much of it in D1), so if you're saying they're strong, I'm sure they'll be a legit contender. A rare coach whose record does match that of Howland is Wyoming's. I would argue that 2021 was his least talented team in his three seasons at Wyoming...and they won the state title. And they have a lot returning. Heart of the team center mid (who scored the lone late goal of the state championship game) tore his ACL during basketball, but I suspect he's doing all things possible to be back at some point during the soccer season. Wyoming will be a contender. I suspect Indian Hill, which had a very fine season last year, will be as well. I can't speak for the teams in Dayton, but there are always three or four (Alter, Tippecanoe, maybe Monroe, Oakwood, Bellbrook) you'd consider potential deep threats most seasons.

this was posted on WCPO. If it’s true, that explains the quick resignation. the article mentions he is now a club soccer director at CUP which is why he’s leaving Wyoming. I can’t imagine CUP keeping a director on staff coaching kids if what this guy posted below is true.

D8F3B9EB-3231-4FEE-A630-74593A4B0180.jpeg

What is Cup doing about this? Was he coaching at State Cup today? In what organization is a coach not suspended until the investigation is complete?

yeah. it appears that he’s still coaching, which is surprising. it means CUP is putting there head in the sand on this one. I gotta think this is a tough predicament for the boys. there’s no way they feel comfortable playing for him at this point. and, they probably feel they can’t speak up. CUP needs to protect the kids if this is true.

Doesn’t Ohio Soccer have risk management screenings as well as Safe Sport affidavits each coach and club administrator must sign to protect athletes!

Wow! That’s insane if it’s true
It’s true. Astonishing Wyoming’s athletic director gave favorable remarks in the article. He’s had far too many mishaps leading up to this for these programs continuing to ignore his past. Sending nude images to his high school team chat as a coach then allowed to just step down. Cup then hiring him full time is baffling and embarrassing.

The fact is, his genitalia was sent to 14 year old boys. 14 year old boys. Mistake or not, how is that not illegal? Because it was a “mistake”? Who was the message directed towards? Does CUP think that since it happened at Wyoming this isn’t their problem? What if this was a girls team he sent it to, this situation would have a very different outcome already.

There have been rumors of his behavior at previous places of employment. Why did the AD at Wyoming and the CUP Board of directors not investigate these rumors and hire him - and why did he only work at Thomas More for 8 months? Shame on them for NOT PROTECTING kids!

I’m all for second chances and the power of redemption, but there is a growing history of indiscretion with Coach Jones. He gets tremendous results on the field, but working with minors requires a certain level of maturity and impeccable judgement. Wyoming did the right thing parting ways with him. CUP owes it to the players that are entrusted to their care to investigate this and be transparent about what has happened. The fact that Jones was training his CUP teams last week and coaching at State Cup over the weekend is inexcusable. As the parent of a CUP player, I would demand answers and accountability before sending my child back into the care of this coach. If Scott Bower and the CU Board have decided that this was an honest mistake and are confident that Coach Jones is not a risk to children, then they owe it to the families of the affected teams to say as much. But ignoring the elephant in the room hurts the players and the club.

I’m all for second chances and the power of redemption, but there is a growing history of indiscretion with Coach Jones. He gets tremendous results on the field, but working with minors requires a certain level of maturity and impeccable judgement. Wyoming did the right thing parting ways with him. CUP owes it to the players that are entrusted to their care to investigate this and be transparent about what has happened. The fact that Jones was training his CUP teams last week and coaching at State Cup over the weekend is inexcusable. As the parent of a CUP player, I would demand answers and accountability before sending my child back into the care of this coach. If Scott Bower and the CU Board have decided that this was an honest mistake and are confident that Coach Jones is not a risk to children, then they owe it to the families of the affected teams to say as much. But ignoring the elephant in the room hurts the players and the club.

so do CUP families not know or don’t care? You can’t tell me that CUP doesn’t have several other coaches to take over for the state tournament and nationals for his teams. Also, surely Wyoming players make up several teams in the CUP organization so word has to have gotten out.
Also, I find it interesting that media outlets are just sticking with the new job explanation for the resignation. This would be national news for most coaches (again, if it’s true).

CUP just got one coach back that is far more qualified to take those teams than Jones. He could step in immediately. As for who knows, players in age groups from 06-03 throughout the city know and have seen the evidence. The fact that CUP has kept this covered, without any communication to the boys or girls program, players being coached by Jones or parents, it’s a real shame. CUP is not well liked around here, and this alone is a poor sense of judgement by the leadership at this club.

The CUP parents I’ve spoken with are angry, embarrassed and sickened, but they’re also fearful to speak up first and risk having their child experience retribution from the powers within the club. For good or bad, CUP is the thousand pound gorilla that parents and players think offers the best chance to the college program of their choice. While 100% wrong, the CUP Kool-Aid is strong for many.

Didn’t CUP get a new Executive Director recently? This isn’t a good look for the new guy. This is his chance to change the public persona that one coach is not worth continuing to tarnish the Cup name. This is a case where mistake or not, this guy should not be working with minors. Do better Cup.

I am very close with some of the families on the 04 team and I have spoke with some of the parents and they love the coach and understand it was a mistake and it was a bad mistake but the kids want the coach and they will win with the coach.