• Mentor

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Solon

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Strongsville

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The GCC is a two team race this year. It'll come down to Medina and Mentor.
Agree. It's safe to say they will take a step back from last year but it's a program that has staying power to be Mentor's chief GCC nemesis for the foreseeable future. They'll never have another Drew Allar but still have a lot of talent coming through the pipeline.

A 2-4 week for the GCC. Nothing surprised me. This is the weakest the league has been since it formed. Will Week 2 be any better? I don’t think so. The top GCC teams have their toughest non-conference opponent of the season this week. Mentor has Ignatius and Medina plays Avon.

At the beginning of the season, it is always difficult to decipher if the winning team is that good, or the losing team is that bad. Brunswick will know after week 3, lost bad to Cleveland Hts , Olmsted Falls this week, and at Highland next week. 3 ranked teams to open play.

My predictions for this week:

St Ignatius vs Mentor
Medina @ Avon
Strongsville
@ Midview
Euclid @ Hudson
Solon
vs Shaker Hts
Brunswick vs Olmsted Falls

Looks like a tough week again for the league. Solon is the only game I feel confident about. It could very easily be a 1-5 week. I see 3-3 at best.

Even in defeat, I think Mentor and especially Medina (600+ passing yards!!) have reasons for optimism. Sure, both can point to some issues. For Mentor, it was the turnovers and decision making. For Medina, giving up 300 yards rushing to Avon's back wasn't a banner day for their defense. But I would say the GCC's best are definitely both considered to be top 4 teams in Region 1 right now.

The league went 2-4 as I predicted. Solon won rather easily and Strongsville narrowly held on. Euclid and Brunswick got pummeled (again).

Medina's junior QB Dan Stoddard was eye popping yesterday. Drew Who? I do wonder what was so different about that game compared to . Schramm is the best player in the league. After their performance against Avon yesterday, I am officially concerned about Mentor's chances of beating Medina. The seemingly slow start against WGH in Week 1 looks clearly behind them. Mentor/Medina next month will be a big one.

Even in defeat, I think Mentor and especially Medina (600+ passing yards!!) have reasons for optimism. Sure, both can point to some issues. For Mentor, it was the turnovers and decision making. For Medina, giving up 300 yards rushing to Avon's back wasn't a banner day for their defense. But I would say the GCC's best are definitely both considered to be top 4 teams in Region 1 right now.

The league went 2-4 as I predicted. Solon won rather easily and Strongsville narrowly held on. Euclid and Brunswick got pummeled (again).

Medina's junior QB Dan Stoddard was eye popping yesterday. Drew Who? I do wonder what was so different about that game compared to . Schramm is the best player in the league. After their performance against Avon yesterday, I am officially concerned about Mentor's chances of beating Medina. The seemingly slow start against WGH in Week 1 looks clearly behind them. Mentor/Medina next month will be a big one.
On my birthday in Medina county where I live. Looking forward to it. It's good to have competition for Mentor in football and basketball. Cleveland Hts will add to both and Shaker to basketball soon too.

Hopefully the other 4 can turn it around as the year goes on and get gradually stronger down the road. Good for the league to all compete especially since most every team makes the playoffs now

Should be a better week for the league, maybe a 4-2 week at best. But none of the four wins I think they will get are locks by any means. Here are my predictions:

Mentor vs Riverside
Medina @ Wadsworth
Strongsville @ Brecksville
Solon vs Stow
Brunswick @ Highland
Euclid vs Massillon Perry

Medina and Mentor have big matchups with county neighbors. Solon and Stow should be a good one too.

Anyone else seeing the Solon to Suburban League stuff ? Nobody has reported it yet and only thing I've seen is the thread started on Yappi

SVillegrad - Any insight about if Strongsville is communicating with the SWC about joining in 2023? I've read in other threads that Midview is looking to replace Parma in the GLC.

SVillegrad - Any insight about if Strongsville is communicating with the SWC about joining in 2023? I've read in other threads that Midview is looking to replace Parma in the GLC.
I mentioned this on the Solon thread, but I was told about a month ago that Midview has shown interest in the GLC spot that will be for sure open since Parma High School is closing no matter what happens on Nov. 8. I don't know if that's an official application or if they've done it through back-channeling. My guess is that Midview to the GLC will happen, though.

As for Strongsville, I can only make some educated guesses. But those are:

1. Strongsville would absolutely breakaway from its alliance with Brunswick and Medina (and to a far less extent Mentor) if the SWC accepted them. Strongsville, Medina and Brunswick have all applied to both the SWC and Suburban.

2. Strongsville has a better shot at getting into the SWC than either Brunswick or Medina.

Nov. 8 will be huge for the next wave of conference reshuffing. If Parma's issue fails and they stay at two high schools, Midview is added and the GLC is back to 12, which is the number it seemingly wants to be at (though the league could go up to 14 and still do exactly what it does now in terms of scheduling).

I think that possibly opens the door for Strongsville, but not sure if the SWC would necessarily feel the need to get back to 8 since so many leagues in NEO are already at less than that. They can easily stay at seven and not rock the boat with Amherst (or even Olmsted Falls).

If Parma's bond issue passes, then there will be some major movement because I find it hard to believe, outside of necessity, that the GLC schools are going to want a 3,000-plus student Parma Senior in the league since it would be 3-5 times bigger than the other members. At that point, I could see Midview and Amherst for sure making the leap to the GLC. Olmsted Falls could also be a possibility for the final GLC spot, especially if the SWC then becomes the big-school west side league (Avon and North Ridgeville could both be D1 at the next count ... Avon Lake will remain D2 but a program that could compete annually).

At that point, who does the SWC turn to? If it's just Midview and Amherst leaving, probably looking at Strongsville for sure and then either Brunswick, Parma or Medina as No. 8. I would think Parma would get the nod over Brunswick at this point but could go either way. If Olmsted Falls were also to leave, though, then I think whoever is left out between Brunswick/Parma would be chosen over Medina, which is likely going to find itself on a Mentor-like island if the GCC crumbles.

Last edited:
I will add this. From above, if the Parma issue passes and if it's just Midview and Amherst from the SWC who leaves to replace the three former Parma schools, I guess it doesn't mean that the SWC would have to add two schools, though I doubt they want to sit at six, so would at least add one. If it's just one, that school would be Strongsville to get the SWC back to a workable 7.

In that case, Parma could replace Strongsville in the GCC and both leagues would be at 7. Strongsville would trade a 7-school GCC for a 7-school SWC just for overall travel purposes (and it could still schedule both Brunswick and Medina annually if they wanted). I would add Mentor since it's now a longtime rival, but that series started out as competitive (even though Mentor won most of the games) to now just lopsided.

I will add this. From above, if the Parma issue passes and if it's just Midview and Amherst from the SWC who leaves to replace the three former Parma schools, I guess it doesn't mean that the SWC would have to add two schools, though I doubt they want to sit at six, so would at least add one. If it's just one, that school would be Strongsville to get the SWC back to a workable 7.

In that case, Parma could replace Strongsville in the GCC and both leagues would be at 7. Strongsville would trade a 7-school GCC for a 7-school SWC just for overall travel purposes (and it could still schedule both Brunswick and Medina annually if they wanted). I would add Mentor since it's now a longtime rival, but that series started out as competitive (even though Mentor won most of the games) to now just lopsided.
Levy won't pass.

Mentor/Medina this week. Before the season, I predicted Mentor would win the league. I thought Medina would have too tough of a time transitioning from that superb senior class. Yet, they have kept it going. I underestimated them. And I overestimated Mentor. This game this week will decide the GCC.

Mentor/Medina this week. Before the season, I predicted Mentor would win the league. I thought Medina would have too tough of a time transitioning from that superb senior class. Yet, they have kept it going. I underestimated them. And I overestimated Mentor. This game this week will decide the GCC.
Mentor wins.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this one plays out. While I knew last year's Medina class wasn't the end of a three-year run (and now back to typical Medina), this is a huge game for this program. It seems like Mentor hasn't quite lived up to expectations, but the Cardinals are still the undisputed top dog of the GCC. If Medina can notch back-to-back wins after losing so much talent, it would further prove that they are now in that upper-class of Greater Cleveland football.

With that, I'm not sure how this plays out. It's at Medina, so I guess that's where I'll lean in a game that is in the 30s on both sides.

As far as conference reshuffling goes:

Midview moving makes perfect sense. Wonder why Amherst would make the jump as well? If both do, wouldn't that cause an odd number of teams in the GLC, even if Parma leaves?

Strongsville to the SWC I could see happening for sure. (Side note, would North Royalton possibly come along as well, or are they happy in the Suburban? Would make four Cuyahoga County schools if they joined, which is not too likely)

On the Parma issue, if the levy does pass and Parma remains open, they COULD join the LEL, as they have been in the league in the past, and they're no more than 20 minutes from every school except Lorain, so travel wouldn't be an issue.

I really want to go to this game. But I'm not confident that Mentor will play with them. I was at the Mentor vs. Riverside game and that was the worst I have ever seen Mentor look and play. Then they get rocked by Clarkson (I know Clarkson has talent and are capable of beating teams, but not the Mentor I'm used to). On the other side of the coin: they did what they were supposed to do against McKinley. They went toe to toe with Ignatius which many feel is an Ed's- Iggy region to win- I personally think Medina is in that conversation. And then last week they took care of business against Brunswick. If I could get that terrible performance against Riverside out of my head, I can convince myself that this could be a fantastic game. But that was rough to watch. So Mentor guys: Can your Cardinals hang or even beat Medina tonight???

I really want to go to this game. But I'm not confident that Mentor will play with them. I was at the Mentor vs. Riverside game and that was the worst I have ever seen Mentor look and play. Then they get rocked by Clarkson (I know Clarkson has talent and are capable of beating teams, but not the Mentor I'm used to). On the other side of the coin: they did what they were supposed to do against McKinley. They went toe to toe with Ignatius which many feel is an Ed's- Iggy region to win- I personally think Medina is in that conversation. And then last week they took care of business against Brunswick. If I could get that terrible performance against Riverside out of my head, I can convince myself that this could be a fantastic game. But that was rough to watch. So Mentor guys: Can your Cardinals hang or even beat Medina tonight???
Clarkson is better than everyone in the GCC minus Medina and maybe Solon. I still think we are better but had a bad night. Was one of those close majority of games with plenty of times being up or tied. Clarkson got some scores at end during desperate times.

But yes they did have the talent to beat many D1 teams. Medina though is way better and I don't think we stick with them

I posted many times I would like to see a league of…

Avon
Avon Lake
Brunswick
Elyria
Medina
North Ridgeville
Olmsted Falls
Strongsville

I don’t think it will happen, though.

As far as conference reshuffling goes:

Midview moving makes perfect sense. Wonder why Amherst would make the jump as well? If both do, wouldn't that cause an odd number of teams in the GLC, even if Parma leaves?

Strongsville to the SWC I could see happening for sure. (Side note, would North Royalton possibly come along as well, or are they happy in the Suburban? Would make four Cuyahoga County schools if they joined, which is not too likely)

On the Parma issue, if the levy does pass and Parma remains open, they COULD join the LEL, as they have been in the league in the past, and they're no more than 20 minutes from every school except Lorain, so travel wouldn't be an issue.
Midview is the one I think will happen. It's nothing definitive at this point other than regardless of the Parma City Schools vote, the GLC will need at least one since the current Parma Senior is closing regardless of the vote.

If the vote fails, Valley Forge and Normandy remain and they split the Parma Senior students. That may bump each up to D1 but smaller D1 so I don't believe would get Forge/Normandy kicked out. Midview joins and then the SWC decides whether they want to get back to 8 (which would be Strongsville) or stay at 7, which is workable in this landscape.

If the Parma vote passes, Parma Senior still closes, the students are then still split between Forge/Normandy but the district will build a mega school on the site of the closed down Parma Senior. Once that is built is when Parma Senior would come back as the lone Parma City Schools HS (and be a 3,000-plus student building). That's when it would be politely asked to find a new home, IMO.

That's where I think Amherst and one other would come into play. The other could be Olmsted Falls or it could be another in the area (the GLC will have a pick of applicants). Why Amherst? Because like Midview it is on the smaller side of the SWC as of now and like Midview, it has the hardest time competing in football. The GLC is still in Amherst's footprint so I think they would make that decision to leave. Even if Olmsted Falls would stay (and like Avon Lake) they are competitive in the two big sports to do so, the GLC can turn to Cloverleaf and Lutheran West just off the top of my head. Probably would have others as well trying to get in.

If the Parma issue passes, yes, the new Parma Senior (Parma/Forge/Normandy all combined) could join one of, If not having their pick, between SWC, GCC or LEL. I guess technically they could also stay in the GLC but I don't see that just due to size.

As for North Royalton, no way. They are just as geographically located between the SWC and Suburban, but they are more tied to the Suburban schools (mostly Brecksville).

Yeah, well, I’ve been hoping B-M would find a different situation for themselves for many years now.
Just curious why you don't think B-M is a fit? That league looks good though. But Olmsted Falls would definitely want B-M over Medina for it to even be thought about

So where does the GCC go next? No more Solon. Shaker and Cleveland Hts enter. Is it time to break up the league? Do they go after someone else? Who is available? Could they go to a 10 team conference and split it between division one schools and one with division twos and threes and play cross overs?

So where does the GCC go next? No more Solon. Shaker and Cleveland Hts enter. Is it time to break up the league? Do they go after someone else? Who is available? Could they go to a 10 team conference and split it between division one schools and one with division twos and threes and play cross overs?
For now, it stays. They have seven which is more than now.

The Parma vote will be big. As of now, I think it fails. Though a couple people I talk to believe it will be close.

For now, it stays. They have seven which is more than now.

The Parma vote will be big. As of now, I think it fails. Though a couple people I talk to believe it will be close.
Agree. If the Parma levy fails, I think the GCC will start to unravel.

Strongsville and/or Brunswick to the SWC.

If Nordonia makes a move from the SL to the WRC because of the addition of Solon, I could see Medina joining the SLN to replace them.

Euclid, Heights, and Shaker would probably look to rebuild the LEL.

Unfortunately, I can see Mentor being independent until their enrollment falls enough to fit the WRC.

Agree. If the Parma levy fails, I think the GCC will start to unravel.

Strongsville and/or Brunswick to the SWC.

If Nordonia makes a move from the SL to the WRC because of the addition of Solon, I could see Medina joining the SLN to replace them.

Euclid, Heights, and Shaker would probably look to rebuild the LEL.

Unfortunately, I can see Mentor being independent until their enrollment falls enough to fit the WRC.
IMO it's the opposite. If Parma's levy passes (and it goes from 3 to 1 HS instead of 3 to 2) is when things start to unravel.

Personally I hope you are right if things do unravel that Medina finds a spot. I'm skeptical for one, because they are behind Strongsville and Brunswick in pecking order. Secondly, I don't think either Strongsville or Brunswick are in a position to also demand Medina as well.

And let's remember Medina (publicly) was set to bail on Strongsville and Brunswick 6-7 years ago to the Suburban on its own. That fell through and to double it up, Medina has started to live up to its football potential (was already good in pretty much everything else).

IMO it's the opposite. If Parma's levy passes (and it goes from 3 to 1 HS instead of 3 to 2) is when things start to unravel.

Personally I hope you are right if things do unravel that Medina finds a spot. I'm skeptical for one, because they are behind Strongsville and Brunswick in pecking order. Secondly, I don't think either Strongsville or Brunswick are in a position to also demand Medina as well.

And let's remember Medina (publicly) was set to bail on Strongsville and Brunswick 6-7 years ago to the Suburban on its own. That fell through and to double it up, Medina has started to live up to its football potential (was already good in pretty much everything else).
I see what you're saying. I think the SWC is going to need larger schools either way if Midivew and Amherst and possibly others are looking at the GLC. I agree Brunswick and Strongsville would be considered first.

Just curious why you don't think B-M is a fit? That league looks good though. But Olmsted Falls would definitely want B-M over Medina for it to even be thought about
B-M is just there. Blah. They seem to be content with mediocrity across the board. At least I can see Elyria trying.