2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

How many times this year have we talked about Stefanski always wanting to be the smartest guy in the building. Again yesterday with that 4th and 1 call on the initial drive. Brissett has the highest sneak conversion in the NFL. We all know it, so he decides to try to outsmart the Bengals. He always outsmarts himself. Just take the FG.

As for Woods, with no Higgins and Boyd, how is Chase not doubled every play?

New coaching staff next year. Please.

Who are they going to cut? they are effectively* ($3,142,191) over the CAP next year.

* when factoring in the 2023 draft
This why they didn’t spend the extra cap money this year … they can carry it over to next year … if they didn’t carry that over from this year, they would be $33,000 over the cap next next … by carry it over this year … they are only $3,000 … which is easily manageable with just a few restructuring of contracts

This why they didn’t spend the extra cap money this year … they can carry it over to next year … if they didn’t carry that over from this year, they would be $33,000 over the cap next next … by carry it over this year … they are only $3,000 … which is easily manageable with just a few restructuring of contracts

It also means the Browns are running it back next year with the same core players - no $$$ for any free agent upgrades and no 1st round draft pick. The Browns best player is Nick Chubb who will be 27 and heading into his 6th season.

The only way the Browns are relevant or contenders over the next 4 seasons is if Deshawn Watson plays at a level exceeding his play with the Texans.

66 times in 17 months knowing that it was bad enough to take an NDA along with him.

Oh well, they can fix everything with the couple of good drafts and money for free agents. Oh...wait...
That's the issue I have with Cleveland acquiring Watson....I thought two years ago, and maybe even today that Cleveland had the best roster in the division. They were big and mean on the O-line, and had Myles Garrett and some dudes on D. Chubb and Hunt, plus Baker, he may have been an inconsistent dooosh but he could have been coached up. Instead of maximizing what they could do well to win football games, Cleveland decided to essentially blow the whole thing up to acquire Watson. 2022 draft gone, 2023 draft gone, 2024 draft gone, in addition to the cap hit and free agent thing.

They questioned Stefanski about the idiotic 4th and 1 call when he brought in Brissett, and once again, "It was on me, we have to do a better job."

They questioned Stefanski about the idiotic 4th and 1 call when he brought in Brissett, and once again, "It was on me, we have to do a better job."

That was genius. Bring in the guy who hasn't had 1st team reps in over two weeks to throw a 30 yard pass on 4th and one.

Hate to break it too, but blaming the offensive line is one of the signs that it's the start of Chubb's prime being over. He's now well into his 5th year in the league.

He will still have a lot of great games but get used to some inconsistency starting next year. Odds of a top 5 finish for backs plummet after their 27th birthday, which is in 2 weeks for Nick. I love the guy, he's a great player, but father time is coming.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Hate to break it too, but blaming the offensive line is one of the signs that it's the start of Chubb's prime being over. He's now well into his 5th year in the league.

He will still have a lot of great games but get used to some inconsistency starting next year. Odds of a top 5 finish for backs plummet after their 27th birthday, which is in 2 weeks for Nick. I love the guy, he's a great player, but father time is coming.
No way did Chubb go from being a top 2 back in the NFL to "past his prime" in 2 weeks. I have seen zero indication that he has lost any burst or power.

Yesterday is as simple as this: DJ Reader was a beast, and he completely owned the middle of the line against the Browns 3rd (or 4th?) string center.

My original post point was the Browns didn't have much CAP space to sign free agents next year.
If I read the chart right:

The Salary CAP next year is projected to be $220 million
Browns current CAP for next year is $255.8
Difference of -$35.8 million
Current CAP space for 2022 is $31.8 million if that is carried over, it still leaves a deficit.
It is a bigger problem in 2024, obviously they are going to cut or restructure people

Last edited:
This line is living off of its past reputation. They're on their 3rd center since letting Tretter go, Wills has been exposed and Conklin's age is catching up to him. Bitonio and Teller are the only top players on the line at this point. At this point they are an average line which makes them one of the better position groups for the Browns this year.

Denzel Ward had the lowest rating of the defensive backs for the game.

CORNERBACK

A.J. Green: 62.7 (3)
Greg Newsome II: 58.7 (65)
Martin Emerson: 55.2 (56)
Denzel Ward: 41.3 (65)

SAFETY
John Johnson III: 45.7 (61)
Ronnie Harrison: 42.6 (19)
Grant Delpit: 42.3 (67)

Maybe he should just pull a hamstring again.... and take Greedy Williams ( a healthy scratch) with him .

Stefanski has won the only playoff game in the new Browns history, yet couldn’t attend the game or call plays.

Coincidence?

How many have never won an NFL Championship?
Then you must also be impressed by the Detroit Lions franchise as well as your Browns….
as the Lions won an NFL championship as recently as 1957 and like the Browns, have also never appeared in a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Stefanski has won the only playoff game in the new Browns history, yet couldn’t attend the game or call plays.

Coincidence?
Yes and no. Priefer got lucky from snap one against the Steelers in the playoffs when he was acting HC. But Woods stunk and let Pittsburgh back into the game even leading by 4 scores. Van Pelt is generally fine. Stefanski is always good for a couple baffling calls per season but isn't a horrible coach except when it comes to personnel decisions. He simply won't fire his buddies. Both Woods and Priefer are not qualified and run historically bad units by whatever metric you wanna use.

Then you must also be impressed by the Detroit Lions franchise as well as your Browns….
as the Lions won an NFL championship as recently as 1957 and like the Browns, have also never appeared in a Super Bowl.
It feels good to be a fan of a team that has won multiple NFL Championships.

When you win some, you’ll realize that.

I could be wrong, but from a distance it don't look like y'all are having that much fun....
You are not wrong. Being a Browns fan since 1970, I can say it has not been easy. Mid to late 80's we had some fun...

We are loyal as F--- though, so don't come at us too hard.

Interesting conversation this morning between Rizzo and Grossi. Tony G claimed that he doubted that Stefanski would be fired, since he was just doing what he was told. When asked if he would be upset if DePodesta were gone, he replied that he wouldn't, since basically the entire organization and game plans are formulated around analytics. Period. As for going for it on fourth down all of the time, he said that those decisions were made corporately, based on analytics. The decision is corporate, the specific play is up to Stefanski. Rizzo wondered if the decisions were dictated from upstairs and relayed during the game. Grossi said that those decisions were made before the game began. Both agreed that using analytics exclusively has not worked, something which is evident to all of us. Of course, analytics can't tackle, hold, or drop passes, but is can leave the coach at a significant disadvantage, since he is merely a puppet to the corporation and decisions based solely on percentages.

Interesting conversation this morning between Rizzo and Grossi. Tony G claimed that he doubted that Stefanski would be fired, since he was just doing what he was told. When asked if he would be upset if DePodesta were gone, he replied that he wouldn't, since basically the entire organization and game plans are formulated around analytics. Period. As for going for it on fourth down all of the time, he said that those decisions were made corporately, based on analytics. The decision is corporate, the specific play is up to Stefanski. Rizzo wondered if the decisions were dictated from upstairs and relayed during the game. Grossi said that those decisions were made before the game began. Both agreed that using analytics exclusively has not worked, something which is evident to all of us. Of course, analytics can't tackle, hold, or drop passes, but is can leave the coach at a significant disadvantage, since he is merely a puppet to the corporation and decisions based solely on percentages.
I take everything those guys say with a grain of salt. But if they are right about the game decisions being pre-determined or handed down from upstairs, everyone involved needs fired. Decisions like that need to take into account things like game flow, momentum, etc.

The players are human and their emotions / frame of mind matter. That opening drive FG would make the guys feel great after the opening 3-and-out for the Bengals, and a nice drive by the offense. Looking at that 3-0 lead on the scoreboard would feel good, instead of 0-0 and the feeling like you blew an opportunity.

Any coach worth a hill of beans would tell the front office to cram it if they tried to mandate pre-determined game decisions. If it is happening, and Stefanski is going along with that crap, he has no spine, and no business being a head coach. And Podesta et al should be fired for being ignorant as to the importance of momentum and human emotion in football.

I take everything those guys say with a grain of salt. But if they are right about the game decisions being pre-determined or handed down from upstairs, everyone involved needs fired. Decisions like that need to take into account things like game flow, momentum, etc.

The players are human and their emotions / frame of mind matter. That opening drive FG would make the guys feel great after the opening 3-and-out for the Bengals, and a nice drive by the offense. Looking at that 3-0 lead on the scoreboard would feel good, instead of 0-0 and the feeling like you blew an opportunity.

Any coach worth a hill of beans would tell the front office to cram it if they tried to mandate pre-determined game decisions. If it is happening, and Stefanski is going along with that crap, he has no spine, and no business being a head coach. And Podesta et al should be fired for being ignorant as to the importance of momentum and human emotion in football.
Do you really think they would have played better for the rest of the game because they had a 3-0 lead????

If that is true, they played worse (less motivated) because the score was 0-0 instead of 3-0 … then they need a whole bunch of new players!

A dumber call was going for the block punt … now that turned the game around … they should have been getting the ball near mid field … instead they gave a second chance to Burrow and company … still alone did not determine the game … but a much bigger impact than the 4th down play.

Last edited:
Do you really think they would have played better for the rest of the game because they had a 3-0 lead????

If that is true, they played worse (less motivated) because the score was 0-0 instead of 3-0 … then they need a whole bunch of new players!

A dumber call was going for the block punt … now that turned the game around … they should have been getting the ball near mid field … instead they gave a second chance to Burrow and company … still alone did not determine the game … but a much bigger impact than the 4th down play.

As soon as the penalty for roughing the kicker happened, I turned the channel and never went back to the game, because I knew that the Bengals would definitely score and Burrow would get on track. That was the game. Why? Because everyone in Cleveland knew the scenario for the rest of the game. I just had better things to do.

BTW: another one bites the dust:

Last edited: