2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

My preference is outdoor football on real grass, but it’s irresponsible not to consider the economic impact of a modern indoor facility for the area.
We have one already.

No reason First Energy couldnt host a events all summer long. Complain to whoever books the facility.

Jackson is a train wreck but tanking is something I definitely would not put past Haslam.

Here a story OldSoulon will love, the Browns are pursuing a 33 year old Canadian female to be their Assistant GM

Last edited:
I came across an article with an interesting angle on another way Mayfield was screwed by the Watson situation. Apparently, the Falcons pursuit of Watson frustrated Ryan to the point he wanted out resulting in him getting traded to the Colts, one of the primary possible destinations for Baker.

Another report this morning this morning stated that the Carolina trade fell through because the Browns were unwilling to pay any of Mayfield's salary, contrary to what had been repoted previously. Who knows what the truth is, but it is necessary that he get out of town soon.

Catherine Raîche will join the Browns for high-ranking role in front office. She may be the most qualified person in the world but the timing makes it look like Jimmy and Dee are scrambling to divert some of the Watson heat.

OK, so based on this, how can the NFL suspend him AT ALL for the 2022 season?

If they suspend him, and he is successful in defending himself in all of these, isn't that wrong?

If they suspend him, and he is successful in defending himself in all of these, isn't that wrong?
Yes, but the NFL investigation is a separate animal from the civil litigation. I'd say so much so that the NFL should have concluded theirs by now, but I suspect Goodell is hoping the civil litigation result supports their conclusions or gives the league cover.

Yes, but the NFL investigation is a separate animal from the civil litigation. I'd say so much so that the NFL should have concluded theirs by now, but I suspect Goodell is hoping the civil litigation result supports their conclusions or gives the league cover.
Agreed, as a private business the NFL can do as they please. And they will do whatever they think will play best in the media, and get them the most positive media coverage. As I see it, they have 2 choices:

1) Suspend a man who is accused of sexual improprieties against multiple women. (Mainstream media loves that!) But that also means that you are suspending a black man when there was not enough evidence to support criminal charges, and he has not yet had his civil case heard. (Media hates that - there will be some blow-back.)

2) Wait on the civil cases to decide. (This is the reasonable approach IMO)

Not sure which path they will choose. They get some praise and some negative press either way.

Those thinking this will be a half season to full season suspension may be right. Have you guys seen this? First lady up and the evidence is pretty damning from an NFL personal conduct POV:

The standard for "personal conduct" is very different then criminal standards. Think all those guys who get railroaded in college based ONLY on an accusation. Organizations have wide latitude in disciplining employees up to termination for bad conduct.

Brown's fans had better hope that the team did a thorough vetting of Watson. If a lot of bad stuff comes out in the trials you could be looking at a year or more suspension. I have to assume that they checked into this enough to believe that the worst case scenario will be half a season but..........................

The standard for "personal conduct" is very different then criminal standards. Think all those guys who get railroaded in college based ONLY on an accusation. Organizations have wide latitude in disciplining employees up to termination for bad conduct.

Brown's fans had better hope that the team did a thorough vetting of Watson. If a lot of bad stuff comes out in the trials you could be looking at a year or more suspension. I have to assume that they checked into this enough to believe that the worst case scenario will be half a season but..........................
But the trials aren't until after the season ends.

Again, how can they suspend him this year?

What if the cases against him fall apart next year?

He’s already sat out a full season. He will get no more than nine games this season, though I’ve never believed he should face any NFL discipline.

Its not like he raped 2 women.
C'mon guys.
Nothing to see here.

Just. Win. Baby.
Quarter-of-a-billion fully guaranteed QB.

and soon to be....Super Bowl Champion!

3 examples of past player assault & sexual assault allegations that resulted in NFL imposed suspension due to NFL Conduct policy.
A) Ben Roethlisberger - 2 women accuse him of rape but no charges were pressed by authorities in either case. Both cases settled out of court by Roethlisberger & accusers
* Result - NFL suspends Roethlisberger 6 games, NFLPA appealed on Roethlisberger behalf. Suspension cut from 6 to 4 games
B) Ray Rice - Assault on a woman (his wife).
* Result - Originally suspended 2 games. Once video came out, suspension increased to indefinitely and Ravens cut him the same day. Never played in nfl again
C) Ezekiel Elliott - a series of off-field incidents alleging domestic violence and crude behavior
* Result - 6 game suspension despite Cowboys owner Jerry Jones adamantly stating Elliott should not be suspended. Jones also tried to sway owners to fire Goodell but it never materialized.

Watson was suspended with pay by the Houston Texans last year. The MFL appears to be nearing a decision. However, as Ray Rice discovered the NFL can always come back at a later date and impose additions penalties.

Browns fans might want to tune in to HBO’s Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel this Tuesday, May 24th at 10pm.

Browns fans might want to tune in to HBO’s Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel this Tuesday, May 24th at 10pm.

Yep, just going to get uglier with more bad press.

3 examples of past player assault & sexual assault allegations that resulted in NFL imposed suspension due to NFL Conduct policy.
A) Ben Roethlisberger - 2 women accuse him of rape but no charges were pressed by authorities in either case. Both cases settled out of court by Roethlisberger & accusers
* Result - NFL suspends Roethlisberger 6 games, NFLPA appealed on Roethlisberger behalf. Suspension cut from 6 to 4 games
* Result - Originally suspended 2 games. Once video came out, suspension increased to indefinitely and Ravens cut him the same day. Never played in nfl again
C) Ezekiel Elliott - a series of off-field incidents alleging domestic violence and crude behavior
* Result - 6 game suspension despite Cowboys owner Jerry Jones adamantly stating Elliott should not be suspended. Jones also tried to sway owners to fire Goodell but it never materialized.

Watson was suspended with pay by the Houston Texans last year. The MFL appears to be nearing a decision. However, as Ray Rice discovered the NFL can always come back at a later date and impose additions penalties.

Good info but I wonder if the NFL will be more strict with him due to the number of victims.

Ray Rice had a damning video and he was also pre-BLM. Not sure the league will feel totally comfortable throwing the book at a black QB who was exonerated from any criminal case.

Ray Rice had a damning video and he was also pre-BLM. Not sure the league will feel totally comfortable throwing the book at a black QB who was exonerated from any criminal case.

It will be women who will compel the NFL to lower the boom. And the longer this goes on, the more solidly the support for drastic measures will grow. Plus, does anyone think that other owners or front offices are going to lift a finger to support Watson or the Browns?