2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iggy....farewell to Kyle...need to make it happen
I agree. I think it is time to bring them back on for many reasons; notably I think the players want the challenge, it would draw attention to the program for perspective student athletes, and if played at Euclid the gate would be a nice plus. Benny can keep up personnel wise, the huge issue is depth.

I think Lake Catholic is afraid to play Benedictine, which is sad, because it was one of my favorite rivalries to watch in all of NE Ohio. Allegedly when the NCL disbanded Benedictine and Hoban, Lake Catholic was at the forefront of the league saying their students health was in jeopardy if both those teams were to continue playing in the NCL.

It looks like St. Ignatius might be open. I think Dover and Steubenville would be great to fill as well. We have history with both those schools. I would welcome Bishop Watterson or Canfield as well.

Hoban is already on the schedule, per usual.
Your claim that LC was at the forefront of the league not wanting to play Bene and Hoban is either a flat out lie out of you OR you were misinformed.

For what it's worth I wish Lake and Bene would have kept the rivalry going (admittedly Bene would handle LC the last few years) - very underrated rivalry IMO.

But at this point why would they play? Neither team has anything to gain from it.

From what I've been told, the following teams are definitely looking for games:
  • Akron Hoban
  • Canfield
  • Cincinnati Taft
  • Cincinnati Withrow
  • Detroit Catholic Central (MI)
  • Liberty Benton
  • Mentor Lake Catholic
  • Mogadore
  • Tiffin Columbian
  • Warren DeLaSalle (MI)
The following might be still looking:
  • Akron Ellet
  • Akron Kenmore-Garfield
  • Bishop Watterson
  • 1 Senate League Team (Schedule still not released)
  • Dover
  • Steubenville
  • Warren JFK
  • Youngstown East
Canfield would be a possibility if Benedictine is willing to play at Canfield, at the moment Canfield already has 5 away games on the schedule with 2 open dates they are looking to fill, which are week 4 and week 6.

This is their current schedule:
8/19 A West Branch

8/26 A Dover [III:9]***

9/2 H Poland Seminary [IV:13]

9/9 H/A TBA/TBD

9/16 A Chaney [III:9]

9/23 H/A TBA/TBD

9/30 A Austintown-Fitch [II:5]***

10/7 A East [III:9]

10/14 H Howland [III:9]

10/21H Boardman [II:5]

***Arbiter has Canfield playing both Dover and Fitch on 9/30, I would not be surprised if this is mistake and Canfield is actually playing Fitch this week and Dover on 8/26

Your claim that LC was at the forefront of the league not wanting to play Bene and Hoban is either a flat out lie out of you OR you were misinformed.

For what it's worth I wish Lake and Bene would have kept the rivalry going (admittedly Bene would handle LC the last few years) - very underrated rivalry IMO.

But at this point why would they play? Neither team has anything to gain from it.
That would be correct, word is that Padua was the primary driving force for the new Crown Conference. For what its worth they are also not too happy about the current state of the VASJ football program and think it goes against what the Crown Conference stands for whatever that is.

Canfield would be a possibility if Benedictine is willing to play at Canfield, at the moment Canfield already has 5 away games on the schedule with 2 open dates they are looking to fill, which are week 4 and week 6.

This is their current schedule:
8/19 A West Branch

8/26 A Dover [III:9]***

9/2 H Poland Seminary [IV:13]

9/9 H/A TBA/TBD

9/16 A Chaney [III:9]

9/23 H/A TBA/TBD

9/30 A Austintown-Fitch [II:5]***

10/7 A East [III:9]

10/14 H Howland [III:9]

10/21H Boardman [II:5]

***Arbiter has Canfield playing both Dover and Fitch on 9/30, I would not be surprised if this is mistake and Canfield is actually playing Fitch this week and Dover on 8/26
Benny is in the same boat, 5 away with the Hartley screw job leaving them now with only 4. Is 10/7 Akron or Y-Town East?

That would be correct, word is that Padua was the primary driving force for the new Crown Conference. For what its worth they are also not too happy about the current state of the VASJ football program and think it goes against what the Crown Conference stands for whatever that is.
I would push back pretty hard on that. LC, Padua, and Holy Name all expressed concerns about Hoban and Benedictine. Coincidence both are not in the NCL/Crown? Not to mention we all know who was leading Lake Catholic at the time so my source is very close to that department.

Last edited:
I agree. I think it is time to bring them back on for many reasons; notably I think the players want the challenge, it would draw attention to the program for perspective student athletes, and if played at Euclid the gate would be a nice plus. Benny can keep up personnel wise, the huge issue is depth.

I welcome this whether at Byers or Euclid. View them no different than Hoban. Great exposure and an old rivalry littered with great games and many State Championships!

Best options IMO:

1 - St. Ignatius
2 - Steubenville
3 - Canfield
4 - Dover

Personally, I would love a home & home, but I have no clue what our 2023 schedule looks like.

Is anyone familiar with HS contracts? I feel like Bishop Hartley should be paying a penalty for dropping the return game of a home and home.

Last edited:
Benny is in the same boat, 5 away with the Hartley screw job leaving them now with only 4. Is 10/7 Akron or Y-Town East?
Canfield plays the East Golden Bears from Youngstown not the Orientals or whatever they call themselves now.

From what Fitch, Canfield and Dover have sent me:

AUSTINTOWN-FITCH
1 - OPEN
2 - (H) Canton McKinley
3 - (H) Canton GlenOak
4 - @ Youngstown Ursuline
5 - OPEN (Not Mooney)
6 - @ Massillon Washington
7 - @ Strongsville
8 - @ Wadsworth
9 - (H) Boardman
10 - (H) Warren Harding

CANFIELD
1 - @ West Branch
2 - OPEN
3 - (H) Poland Seminary
4 - OPEN
5 - @ Youngstown Chaney
6 - OPEN
7 - (H) Dover
8 - @ Youngstown East
9 - (H) Warren Howland
10 - (H) Boardman

DOVER
1 - @ Mentor Lake Catholic
2 - OPEN
3 - (H) Indian Valley
4 - OPEN
5 - @ Steubenville
6 - OPEN
7 - @ Canfield
8 - OPEN
9 - @ Linsly (WV)
10 - @ New Philadelphia

Last edited:
From what Fitch, Canfield and Dover have sent me:

AUSTINTOWN-FITCH
1 - (H) Youngstown Chaney
2 - (H) Canton McKinley
3 - (H) Canton GlenOak
4 - @ Youngstown Ursuline
5 - OPEN (Not Mooney)
6 - @ Massillon Washington
7 - @ Strongsville
8 - @ Wadsworth
9 - (H) Boardman
10 - (H) Warren Harding

CANFIELD
1 - @ West Branch
2 - OPEN
3 - (H) Poland Seminary
4 - OPEN
5 - @ Youngstown Chaney
6 - OPEN
7 - (H) Dover
8 - @ Youngstown East
9 - (H) Warren Howland
10 - (H) Boardman

DOVER
1 - @ Mentor Lake Catholic
2 - OPEN
3 - (H) Indian Valley
4 - OPEN
5 - OPEN
6 - OPEN
7 - @ Canfield
8 - OPEN
9 - @ Linsly (WV)
10 - @ New Philadelphia
Thanks for the information
Strange that Arbiter has Canfield playing Fitch still. I wonder why Dover would rather play Canfield week 7. And I wonder why Fitch backed out of the deal? This all seems very convoluted to me.

I would push back pretty hard on that. LC, Padua, and Holy Name all expressed concerns about Hoban and Benedictine. Coincidence both are not in the NCL/Crown? Not to mention we all know who was leading Lake Catholic at the time so my source is very close to that department.
In HS sports you never know but my source knows the coaches at Padua and the wick dude is fairly well dialed in at Lake, either way Benny and Hoban are personas non grata in the Crown.

I welcome this whether at Byers or Euclid. View them no different than Hoban. Great exposure and an old rivalry littered with great games and many State Championships!

Best options IMO:

1 - St. Ignatius
2 - Steubenville
3 - Canfield
4 - Dover

Personally, I would love a home & home, but I have no clue what our 2023 schedule looks like.

Is anyone familiar with HS contracts? I feel like Bishop Hartley should be paying a penalty for dropping the return game of a home and home.
Euclid gives Benedictine the gate $s and the marketing angle as a home game if they were to play Iggy, not even sure if they are open week 4 as hdvhsmgr didn't mention them as open. I like at Canfield as option 1B, nice place to play and a good fair test.

As for the Hartley contract there are conflicting reports on what was signed. I was under the impression it was a two year deal, maybe it wasn't and just a gentlemen's agreement for two games home/home. Fr. Willie may be able to clarify.

I will clear up this mess . As of today Dec 23 we have not been contacted by ANY team that our two year deal has been revoked. The AD from Hartley said after our game last year they were looking forward to playing us again this year at Euclid. Arbiter makes MANY mistakes on the scheduling page and until we get an official request to cancel that game all this is fake news.

W
I will clear up this mess . As of today Dec 23 we have not been contacted by ANY team that our two year deal has been revoked. The AD from Hartley said after our game last year they were looking forward to playing us again this year at Euclid. Arbiter makes MANY mistakes on the scheduling page and until we get an official request to cancel that game all this is fake news.
That’s best case scenario.

Merry Xmas to all!

They have had Mcnichols on there schedule on Arbiter for 2 years the have never changed it. We will be playing them.

They have had Mcnichols on there schedule on Arbiter for 2 years the have never changed it. We will be playing them.
Couldn’t be happier to hear that!

Yesterday was also Jerome Baker’s (Benedictine > Ohio State > Miami Dolphins) birthday per twitter. Happy birthday to JB!

Iggy will not schedule Benedictine in football. Not going to happen.
LC, Padua, Holy Name, NDCL all did not want to play Benedictine or Hoban.
Hoban because of their dominance.
Benedictine because of those 4 schools losing student athletes to Benedictine. Mostly football players. Most of those schools still play Benedictine in other sports. Just not football.

Here is my idea for a new Northeast Ohio conference:
Benedictine
Chardon
Aurora
Nordonia
Stow
Walsh
Hudson
Hoban
2 non-conference games.
Every Week is a Monster Game. Not for the weak of heart. If one of the publics were a no. Call SVSM.

Benedictine
Chardon
Aurora
Nordonia
Stow
Walsh
Hudson
Hoban
2 non-conference games.
Every Week is a Monster Game. Not for the weak of heart. If one of the publics were a no. Call SVSM.
Y'all are in a dream. Ain't gonna happen.

Benedictine
Chardon
Aurora
Nordonia
Stow
Walsh
Hudson
Hoban
2 non-conference games.
Unless you are a weakling like Holy Name there is now way suburban pubs are going to allow privates into a league. IF you can get by that point you have so many other issues starting with Benny being single sex and ending with the locations of Hoban and Benny.

I would advise the AD to inquire about playing Canfield at Canfield, 1 year contract. That is the only way Canfield would likely play Benedictine, is if it is a home game for them. They probably would not entertain a 2 or 3 year contract because they lose their D-I recruit QB after next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.