2022 Akron City Series

That would’ve been a great idea!
What's strange was Akron South was actually one of the newer schools at the time APS closed it and sent students to Kenmore ( that didn't work out) and some to Akron Buchtel. At the time many Kenmore students open enrolled to Coventry. Now Miller South is an eyesore. APS even had a stadium behind South.

What's strange was Akron South was actually one of the newer schools at the time APS closed it and sent students to Kenmore ( that didn't work out) and some to Akron Buchtel. At the time many Kenmore students open enrolled to Coventry. Now Miller South is an eyesore. APS even had a stadium behind South.
I had no idea about the age of the buildings, or that there was a stadium at South, but I didn’t think that exodus from Kenmore to Coventry happened until the 90s.

I never knew about a football stadium behind South High, but there is a very nice athletic complex there now. Do the Akron Schools use it at all?

832DCC5C-DD63-48FD-BACA-92C6BDA08DF0.jpeg

Lane Field. Much like Akron North. Could have been a nice stadium with community support too.
Lane field was cool back in the day and when I play for south rangers wasn’t much of anything until years later it was cool play behind the library back in the day could had better seat for people an visitor watch us play back in the day it very nice now.

The field is owned by city of Akron Parks and Recreation. The field permit belongs to Akron Pee Wee and not Akron City Schools. APS does host track meets and some football scrimmages there but the hill would make it hard to add stands big enough for a high school game. The flatter areas aren't suitable for game field because they are usually soggy from the drainage of being that close to a hill after it rains.

Lane field was cool back in the day and when I play for south rangers wasn’t much of anything until years later it was cool play behind the library back in the day could had better seat for people an visitor watch us play back in the day it very nice now.
My sons played for East Peewee in the 80's. Lane Field was lovingly known as the Sand Box by former South Ranger players who coached in the 80's.
South High played home games at Lane in early 60's.
Lane was original Wooster Field and tons of games played there until city bought Old Forge Field and started doing double headers.

The field is owned by city of Akron Parks and Recreation. The field permit belongs to Akron Pee Wee and not Akron City Schools. APS does host track meets and some football scrimmages there but the hill would make it hard to add stands big enough for a high school game. The flatter areas aren't suitable for game field because they are usually soggy from the drainage of being that close to a hill after it rains.
Oh man, we used to kick off to the corner area of the one end of the field because it was just soggy enough the kids hesitated to get in ankle deep water.
After one game a group of us stopped at the nearby McDonald's and Michael Dokes was in line when we came in. He was great with the kids and told them he played for the Rangers and kiddingly told them good luck even though he never liked East.

My sons played for East Peewee in the 80's. Lane Field was lovingly known as the Sand Box by former South Ranger players who coached in the 80's.
South High played home games at Lane in early 60's.
Lane was original Wooster Field and tons of games played there until city bought Old Forge Field and started doing double headers.
Old Forge Field. Great games there.

Not football, but our beloved "North Viking" (former tennis coach and was named Coach of the Year in 2010) is smiling from above as the Lady Vikings won their first ever League Tennis championship ove perennial favorite Firestone (won every championship from 1999-2021 except 2012). I posted the article in the tennis forum.

Akron North v. Akron Ellet

Full gallery of this game and my game in Newton Falls as well as NY and PA available here:

Article here:

must have been some game yesterday afternoon. Congrats to Buchtel...hope both do well rest of season.
Back in the day of City Series playoffs, one score games in the regular season fed the hype of the playoffs and Turkeyday at the bowl.

East - currently at 16 as hubman said, finishes with Garfield and Ellet.
I think they win out to finish at 6-4. TBD if they get enough 2nd level points to hang on, but I think they do. Their reward?
At Chardon in week 11.
Buchtel has North and Firestone to finish up. They won't get much second level points help, but these 2 wins get them 12 first level points. There is a significant gap right now in R13 between the 16th and 17th seed, so I see the Griffins earning their way in.
Currently, they would be on the road at Poland Seminary in week 11.
But there are still 2 weeks to go - and a lot can happen.

must have been some game yesterday afternoon. Congrats to Buchtel...hope both do well rest of season.
Back in the day of City Series playoffs, one score games in the regular season fed the hype of the playoffs and Turkeyday at the bowl.
Yea buchtel got some momentum head into the playoffs hope they can win a playoff game this year east vs ellet might be a good game

The guys that stepped up and held that Ellet team together deserve a lot of credit. The team isn't great but just keeping them together and putting forth effort after what they went through is a real accomplishment, and now they're .500.
They got some momentum game against east will be tough

East - currently at 16 as hubman said, finishes with Garfield and Ellet.
I think they win out to finish at 6-4. TBD if they get enough 2nd level points to hang on, but I think they do. Their reward?
At Chardon in week 11.
Buchtel has North and Firestone to finish up. They won't get much second level points help, but these 2 wins get them 12 first level points. There is a significant gap right now in R13 between the 16th and 17th seed, so I see the Griffins earning their way in.
Currently, they would be on the road at Poland Seminary in week 11.
But there are still 2 weeks to go - and a lot can happen.
I think East can get to the 15th spot. New Philly finishes with West Holmes and Dover. They will not beat West Holmes, and they will be underdogs against Dover, albeit anything can happen in that rivalry. If East wins out, they could have enough points coming to pass New Philly. Of teams behind East, the ones I'd keep the closest eye on are Louisville and Harvey. If NoRo and Brush can each win 1 more game, East should have enough to stay ahead of Louisville if Louisville wins out. Louisville's game with NDCL this Fri. is essentially an R9 elimination game for the loser, and NDCL probably won't qualify even if they win out. Harvey has a pair of 7-1 opponents remaining. I don't think Harvey wins either game, but if they win this week, they're right there going into week 10.

The 14th spot could be in play for East if VASJ loses to Wooster in week 10. The opponents VASJ has beaten are not raking in many L2 points.

Even the 13th spot isn't out of the question if Kenston loses their final 2 games. Kenston's finishing schedule is not easy, and neither are the finishing schedules of any of the teams Kenston has beaten.