2022 Akron City Series

So does anyone know where the old South, East and North Buildings were?
I'm working on it.

These locations will make much more sense to you than I since I don't know Akron particularly well.

Wiki tells us that the original North High was located at the NW corner of Dayton Street and E. Tallmadge Ave. I found classifieds in the Beacon from 1916 mentioning houses for sale on E. Tallmadge located near "the new North High School."

For East High School, I found a Beacon article from 1917 mentioning that contractor bids had been accepted for the construction of a new East HS on N. Martha Ave. overlooking Seiberling Park. Estimated cost to build was $420,000. The Board had not decided whether or not to build the school without gym, swimming pool, and extra classrooms. The estimated cost appears to have included cost of the gym, pool, and extra classrooms. Building was to be completed by Dec. 31, 1918. The chief contractor's forfeiture amount was $50 for every day after 12-31-18. The other contractors on the projected carried smaller forfeiture amounts. I just found an article from March of 1918 indicating the contracts had to be re-let by the new school board due to a flaw in the bond issue, as the papers were originally drawn. Looks like the building opened to begin the 1919-1920 school year, but the BJ claims the school, although built as a HS, was originally used as a grade school to alleviate overcrowding. Approximately 3000 students were enrolled at the HS level in APS to begin the 1919-1920 school year.

South HS was built on the corner of Coburn and W. Thornton St. The building contract was for $161,932, not including plumbing and heating. The contracts were signed in summer of 1910, and the school opened to begin the 1911-1912 school year. With Akron thus having 2 designated high school buildings, I found a 1911 BJ article denoting the boundary lines for Central and South:
"Beginning at the intersection of Exchange and the west corporation line, thence easterly along Exchange to West Center, northerly and easterly along West Center to the railroads, southerly along the railroads to Exchange to Beaver, thence southerly along Beaver to the south corporation line."

Last edited:
Buchtel alum Dylan West with two FG’s so far for Howard in tonight’s MEAC-SWAC kickoff game on ESPN.
Wow a Buchtel kicker on national tv kicking field goals for a university (my favorite university at that)!! As a person with a little knowledge of Buchtel's historical kicking woes (Pre- West brothers) I really sat for a moment and marveled at that moment.

I'm working on it.

Wiki tells us that the original North High was located at the NW corner of Dayton Street and E. Tallmadge Ave. I found classifieds in the Beacon from 1916 mentioning houses for sale on E. Tallmadge located near "the new North High School."
Well that would be pretty close to the current building that was built in 1931.

It sounds like North's defense is pretty good, but they need to figure something out on offense if they want to get another win. Cuyahoga Falls and Ellet are both winnable for the Vikings, and they should keep things competitive vs Garfield, Firestone and Southeast. Its awful that Collinwood cancelled Week One, North could easily have 2 wins.

I feel for the guy who moved from a D1 playoff team at Cleveland Heights last year to North this year. However, getting the opportunity to make the game-winning play for a team that hadn't won in three years might actually be more meaningful.

One of my former classmates at Green transferred from North when he was a sophomore. He had some interesting stories about his time there.

My dad graduated East High class of 1935. 2 graduating classes, one in January the other June. WW1 baby boomers. The East High school still standing on N.Martha Ave. Was added onto ( the side facing E. Market Street). Now abandoned. It was the 1st Akron High school with pool...and they swam sans swim suits!! In other words naked!. Broken windows and vandalism has taken a toll on a once beautiful building....sad

West High still stands as a Senior Complex on the west side...Maple Street. South was on Thornton St..became Thornton Junior high school ( demolished) and original North was old Jennings Building ( now gone) on Tallmadge Ave. North High School is now the oldest remaining of the old buildings...serving as a high school.

The original East High did house the K-8 kids that were housed in Goodyear Hall on East Market. The kids were assigned there because Robinson, Kent and Fraunfelter grade schools along with Annunciation parochial school were at capacity. Goodyear Heights doubled to tripled the area known as East Akron and Middlebury. It was primarly Tallmadge Township. At same time East was being built, Seiberling Grade School in the heart of the first phases of the heights was built. It opened in 1921. East High started the 21-22 school year with 9th graders. Hence last year was 100th anniversary of East football. So as the grade school kids phased out over next 2 years East graduated it first class in June 1925.
In early 1920s, APS found it built South and West to close to downtown and Central High. Akron was annexing big chunks of Coventry (Firestone Park) Springfield (Ellet) and Copley (west Akron beyond Highland Square). Its funny to see pre WW1 maps of Akron and see Tallmadge clear up to City Hospital area, South Akron line around Stanton Ave and West Akron barely past Tangiers on West Market

Seems like they got more school recognition on their field than Ellet did. Did Ellet get their name in end zone and an insignia on 50? I really haven't seen it. Could someone post a picture? The Buchtel field looks awesome!! Now add lights and the city has 2 great fields. I on the East side and 1 on the west side!

Seems like they got more school recognition on their field than Ellet did. Did Ellet get their name in end zone and an insignia on 50? I really haven't seen it. Could someone post a picture? The Buchtel field looks awesome!! Now add lights and the city has 2 great fields. I on the East side and 1 on the west side!
See you trying to get Orangeman started!

2679.jpg
images

Looks like APS at midfield with some Ellet accents.

Last edited:
Well their mascot isn't as cool as ours :) . I think one endzone at Ellet says Ellet and the other one says City Series similar to Buchtel's.
One endzone says 'ORANGEMEN', the other says 'CITY SERIES'.
Only difference is the midfield logo.
Not sure what strings you pulled to get the Griffin logo, lol.

Im surprised Ellet's wasnt a picture of Vassalotti or the Ellet logo along with a Dragon and Viking since they use it as much as Ellet does.

I hate APS so my thoughts and opinions may be biased 😁.

Nice story on Browns helping fund different stadium improvements. Starts out talking about the East Cleveland Shaw project then goes into the history of this initiative back to 2016.

One endzone says 'ORANGEMEN', the other says 'CITY SERIES'.
Only difference is the midfield logo.
Not sure what strings you pulled to get the Griffin logo, lol.

Im surprised Ellet's wasnt a picture of Vassalotti or the Ellet logo along with a Dragon and Viking since they use it as much as Ellet does.

I hate APS so my thoughts and opinions may be biased 😁.
Should have done like Canton Fieldhouse. Recognition of their former schools. If truly the football fields are Akron Public School property then maybe a logo of each School should have been incorporated. What has happened to Kenmore Stadium???

Kenmore Stadium had the bleachers replaced with new aluminum ones a couple of years ago. It is still being used for City Series football. Playing surface is still grass.

My brother walks his dog regularly past the Stadium. He is still pissed, as many Kenmore residents are, at how the consolidation with Garfield went. A whole chapter of the City Series was washed away like it never existed.

He has told me on more than one occasion - the APS administrators need to man up, stop beating around the bush and call this exactly what is was. There is no way this was a merger. Garfield simply invaded the Kenmore school building while their new building was being built. If this was the corporate world, this would have been termed a takeover - and a hostile one at that.

I still feel bad for the Kenmore community being treated like they just don't matter.

Kenmore Stadium had the bleachers replaced with new aluminum ones a couple of years ago. It is still being used for City Series football. Playing surface is still grass.

My brother walks his dog regularly past the Stadium. He is still pissed, as many Kenmore residents are, at how the consolidation with Garfield went. A whole chapter of the City Series was washed away like it never existed.

He has told me on more than one occasion - the APS administrators need to man up, stop beating around the bush and call this exactly what is was. There is no way this was a merger. Garfield simply invaded the Kenmore school building while their new building was being built. If this was the corporate world, this would have been termed a takeover - and a hostile one at that.

I still feel bad for the Kenmore community being treated like they just don't matter.
That was one, and maybe the only thing, that the Cleveland Catholic Diocese got right in their clustering process- whenever there was to be a merger of parishes they encouraged the new entity to have an entirely new name. That way, the parties maintain some kind of ownership interest in the new entity rather than feeling like they were swallowed up or taken over. APS apparently is not that forward thinking.

Maybe someone more in the know can shed some light (pardon the pun) on this - but is there any particular reason that out of the 3 stadiums on APS high school campuses, only Ellet is equipped with lights for Friday night games?
  • Is it a monetary concern?
  • Are the surrounding neighbors to Kenmore and Buchtel against night games and not having lights takes care of that?
  • Are the administrators worried about crowd incidents? If so, that can happen just as easily in the daytime as at night and in the suburbs as the inner city.
One of the focal points in a teenager's social world is a high school game on a Friday night at your own school. Gives you a wonderful sense of belonging. Let's let ALL the kids enjoy that while they are still kids.

Maybe someone more in the know can shed some light (pardon the pun) on this - but is there any particular reason that out of the 3 stadiums on APS high school campuses, only Ellet is equipped with lights for Friday night games?
  • Is it a monetary concern?
  • Are the surrounding neighbors to Kenmore and Buchtel against night games and not having lights takes care of that?
  • Are the administrators worried about crowd incidents? If so, that can happen just as easily in the daytime as at night and in the suburbs as the inner city.
One of the focal points in a teenager's social world is a high school game on a Friday night at your own school. Gives you a wonderful sense of belonging. Let's let ALL the kids enjoy that while they are still kids.
I suspect there's one primary reason- Ellet had boosters that paid for them at some point in time.

I suspect there's one primary reason- Ellet had boosters that paid for them at some point in time.
I can see that. Ellet has a level of community support that you just don't see with city schools. It's on par with any suburban school. As someone who attended city school, it's remarkable to see

Inaugural APS Athletics Hall of Fame Class

The Akron Public Schools District has a rich heritage of producing outstanding student athletes from its high schools. We are excited to recognize these APS graduates and their excellent accomplishments. After the APS HOF Selection Committee considered 40 nominations (submitted from November 2021 through February 2022), we are very pleased to announce the following list of inductees for our inaugural APS Athletics Hall of Fame class:

Student Athletes:
Bruce Alexander (North/1978), Phil Boggs (Firestone/1967), Dave Brown (Garfield/1971), Jimmy Gooden (Central-Hower/1980), Bill Heideman (Kenmore/1958), Michelle Marquess-Kearns (North/1989), Ricky Powers (Buchtel/1990) and Antoine Winfield (Garfield/1995)

Coaches:
Dan "Babe" Flossie (Garfield football/1949-75) and Joe Siegferth (Central boys basketball/1955-70 and Central-Hower/1971-82)

Our first induction banquet to recognize student athletes and coaches will take place Saturday, October 1, at Guy's Party Center (500 E. Waterloo Road), with doors opening at 5:30 p.m. for a cash bar cocktail hour. The buffet dinner begins at 6:30 p.m., with the induction ceremony immediately following at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available electronically for $35 each via HomeTown Ticketing.

I can see that. Ellet has a level of community support that you just don't see with city schools. It's on par with any suburban school. As someone who attended city school, it's remarkable to see
Much of what is there at Ellet came from community funding. It's only recently that the APS has put money into that stadium. I'm old enough to have gone to the stadium in the 80's to watch games when there were no press boxes for the coaches and the coaches had to climb up telephone poles to what was called the "crow's nest" that were on each side of the 50 yardline. Wish there was a photo of them still floating around.

I understand your point, but is there enough kids and families living in Kenmore to justify keeping them open / building them a school?