2021 valley view spartans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay is a terrible hire... couldn't run an offense for Fairmont and showing that he can't over at Beavercreek. Opponents' defenses just maul apart his offense now. Respect what he did in the 1990s... but he does not bring anything new or creative to the table anymore.

Jay is a terrible hire... couldn't run an offense for Fairmont and showing that he can't over at Beavercreek. Opponents' defenses just maul apart his offense now. Respect what he did in the 1990s... but he does not bring anything new or creative to the table anymore.

To be completely fair, it's hard to criticize the OC for Fairmont and Beavercreek. Both are often some of the lesser talented GWOC teams, in particular the Beavercreek teams of late. You could run any offense, with any OC, and not get great results. I doubt Jay would consider a move back to VV at this point in his career. But with all of the chaos that has ensued over the past few weeks, his name might be one of the few that would at least appease the masses. Outside of a name that is familiar with the school, I'm not sure you'll make anyone happy. You have a school board wanting to make changes and a community that's always upset when the football program's toes are stepped on. The next hire will be in a very, very difficult situation.

As far as 2021, I'm not sure what to expect from VV. Speaking strictly about football and not off the field issues, they lost a lot of talent last season. They also lost an experienced, successful coaching staff. However, next year's junior class has been successful at all levels since 7th grade. It's a talented group to build around.

To be completely fair, it's hard to criticize the OC for Fairmont and Beavercreek. Both are often some of the lesser talented GWOC teams, in particular the Beavercreek teams of late. You could run any offense, with any OC, and not get great results. I doubt Jay would consider a move back to VV at this point in his career. But with all of the chaos that has ensued over the past few weeks, his name might be one of the few that would at least appease the masses. Outside of a name that is familiar with the school, I'm not sure you'll make anyone happy. You have a school board wanting to make changes and a community that's always upset when the football program's toes are stepped on. The next hire will be in a very, very difficult situation.

As far as 2021, I'm not sure what to expect from VV. Speaking strictly about football and not off the field issues, they lost a lot of talent last season. They also lost an experienced, successful coaching staff. However, next year's junior class has been successful at all levels since 7th grade. It's a talented group to build around.

This is a very good point and I think the difficulty of the situation will only be exasperated if they hire someone from outside the Valley View football community.

Hopefully folks from Valley View will show up to the school board meeting on Monday and make their voices heard (again, but louder this time). Skidmore, Stidham, and Keating need to be on the sidelines with the Spartans next season

This is a very good point and I think the difficulty of the situation will only be exasperated if they hire someone from outside the Valley View football community.

Which some of that is the fault of the community itself. It's not the most welcoming of outsiders at times. That's always been a challenge and will continue to be.

Hopefully folks from Valley View will show up to the school board meeting on Monday and make their voices heard (again, but louder this time). Skidmore, Stidham, and Keating need to be on the sidelines with the Spartans next season
Ben Richards is not gonna listen to the community they made their minds up they’re not gonna change.

I think if the Valley View community wants to have continued success they need to move on. I’m not one to say if the current situation was right or wrong but I have heard a few things but I do not in know how true they are. VV could get a good coach hired but the longer this drags out the harder that will be.

I think if the Valley View community wants to have continued success they need to move on. I’m not one to say if the current situation was right or wrong but I have heard a few things but I do not in know how true they are. VV could get a good coach hired but the longer this drags out the harder that will be.
Well said!

How is making a change ever a recipe for "continued" anything? They have a recipe for success already and it involves having Skidmore, Stidham, and Keating on the sidelines.

From a non-football standpoint, it is a matter of accountability to the community. This isn't a divided community on this issue. Not even close. The superintendent is acting contrary to the overwhelmingly expressed will of the people and the school board is letting it happen. That's a problem that needs to be addressed and inevitably will be.

Ben Richards is not gonna listen to the community they made their minds up they’re not gonna change.
Then it is up to the community to decide whether that lack of accountability and responsiveness is acceptable and, if not, do something about it.

One thing that I do find interesting is that most of the blame in the VV community is pointed towards the superintendent. Which, as the superintendent, I suppose you ultimately answer for everything. However, it's my understanding that the survey itself was from the school board, as was the ultimate vote that brought about this change. It seems like he will bare the brunt of the decision, but perhaps is simply following the recommendation of the school board itself.

Looking at the entire situation at VV, there have also been administration moves such as the AD and a principal being asked to step down as well. So it's not just a football program change. I would like to see the school board give those individuals an opportunity to correct the issues that are perceived at hand. That allows administrators or coaches the opportunity to make the proper changes. If they can't make those corrections, then sure, by all means, ask them to move on or make your change. But it seems like a better fundamental practice to bring an issue to light, allow for the correction, and then making a change in necessary. I think changes would also be better accepted by the community if that were the case as well.

I agree that the longer this goes on, the harder it will be for the football team to find a solid coach to hire.

Last edited:
I would hope that whoever applies for that job Calls Skid and ask what the heck happened. No right mind person is gonna walk into that situation without getting what actually happened. I also think that if what everyone says is true that no experienced coach is going to walk into this situation no matter how good the team is or will be. A friend of mine said to me some time ago that when you take an HC job you need to look at the super, building principal, and AD. Those three people can make being an HC a great experience or a really terrible experience.

Also, seems a bit strange that all of a sudden you are asking these people to step down. I mean the principal sent his kids through that school, lives in that school district along with the AD. I mean are there records, which there should be because it is a public Job, that tells us this is deserving. I mean was this the first time a complaint was filed about these coaches? Again should be a public record. I mean I totally understand if there a record of this and it has been recorded then I'd say it is justified.

The bad part about this whole situation the Valleyview uppers and parents who complained lost sight of who is really affected by this......the athletes. I mean not only did you divide a community, but you also divided a team. I feel so these athletes and the bush league political stuff they are being dragged through. I hope that this gets resolved and there is some closure to what has happened, but this will leave a bad taste in many people's mouths for a long time to come.

Valley View Local Schools hires former Bengals lineman as football coach

Well we’ll see how this works out I really hope he continues to tradition that goes on in Valley view

I would hope that whoever applies for that job Calls Skid and ask what the heck happened. No right mind person is gonna walk into that situation without getting what actually happened. I also think that if what everyone says is true that no experienced coach is going to walk into this situation no matter how good the team is or will be. A friend of mine said to me some time ago that when you take an HC job you need to look at the super, building principal, and AD. Those three people can make being an HC a great experience or a really terrible experience.

Also, seems a bit strange that all of a sudden you are asking these people to step down. I mean the principal sent his kids through that school, lives in that school district along with the AD. I mean are there records, which there should be because it is a public Job, that tells us this is deserving. I mean was this the first time a complaint was filed about these coaches? Again should be a public record. I mean I totally understand if there a record of this and it has been recorded then I'd say it is justified.

The bad part about this whole situation the Valleyview uppers and parents who complained lost sight of who is really affected by this......the athletes. I mean not only did you divide a community, but you also divided a team. I feel so these athletes and the bush league political stuff they are being dragged through. I hope that this gets resolved and there is some closure to what has happened, but this will leave a bad taste in many people's mouths for a long time to come.
Well stated especially the last paragraph.

Great guy and a great hire! Good luck to coach Moyer.

I have a friend that coaches a different sport at DC. He said that Coach Moyer is a good motivator and teaches his players responsibilities off the field as well. After retiring from the NFL, he actually spent some time as the chaplain for the Bengals.

Having experience with DC personally, I would assume Coach Moyer is a high moral, high character coach. If you removed everything that happened with the VV school board and past coaching staff, I would think many would be happy to get a Division I and NFL experienced player that also has high school head coaching experience. With that being said, he's unfortunately walking into a difficult setup. I was told that Moyer actually was offered the job in the past, but didn't take the job, then VV hired Skidmore. If that's true, then this is a coach the school actually was impressed with previously as well. Prior to last season (1-8), he was 24-6 at DC. Which, not being a football school but more of a soccer/basketball school, is pretty impressive. They did have a playoff appearance. I would expect to see him have better numbers and a better caliber team at VV when compared to DC.

H
I have a friend that coaches a different sport at DC. He said that Coach Moyer is a good motivator and teaches his players responsibilities off the field as well. After retiring from the NFL, he actually spent some time as the chaplain for the Bengals.

Having experience with DC personally, I would assume Coach Moyer is a high moral, high character coach. If you removed everything that happened with the VV school board and past coaching staff, I would think many would be happy to get a Division I and NFL experienced player that also has high school head coaching experience. With that being said, he's unfortunately walking into a difficult setup. I was told that Moyer actually was offered the job in the past, but didn't take the job, then VV hired Skidmore. If that's true, then this is a coach the school actually was impressed with previously as well. Prior to last season (1-8), he was 24-6 at DC. Which, not being a football school but more of a soccer/basketball school, is pretty impressive. They did have a playoff appearance. I would expect to see him have better numbers and a better caliber team at VV when compared to DC.
Hey he could take valley view to the next level or all of it gonna fall apart. Hopefully the fans will stand with him. I know everyone one is mad but we need to move on

This is going about as you would expect. The school board should vote on the hiring of Ken Moyer is tonight at the board meeting.

I know Ken Moyer. He is a man of great character. I would have wanted him to coach my kids. He checks most of the boxes. If he would have asked me, I would have advised him to not take this job. I know he was looking for a better football coaching position to be able to have more success on the field. This is just a terrible spot for any coach to be in. It will be very hard for him to succeed.

I assume they liked the man and the fact he can get a staff from outside of the district. This was probably a huge selling point. Not sure anyone on the current staff will, or would want to, come back.

If the school board ignores the community support for Skidmore and his assistants and approves the Moyer hire tonight (what ought to happen is that the school board should reverse its position on the coordinators and ask Skidmore to withdraw his resignation), then the community has no choice but to support Moyer and the kids who would be playing for him. The community will also have no choice but to clean house on the school board because there is no room for petty personal politics to take precedence over the overwhelmingly-expressed will of the community.

Now my personal feelings on the matter. This was handled so poorly by the Super and the BOE. This is not how you treat people, especially people who have been around for as long as Andy and Butch. They are also one of their own having played at Valley View. I am not saying they should be allowed to have free reign, but they should have been shown the respect the have earned with their service and success.

Anyone in the know feels they are being fired(non renewed) for their off the field transgressions. Why not just say this? The anonymous surveys were just sent out to try and come up with a reason to get rid of them. These surveys and results are highly suspect. One person could have filled out 12 surveys, parents with no football players could have filled out one, one person could have gotten several others to complain who otherwise would not have, and they are anonymous. Anonymous surveys are a terrible tool to use in firing someone. It can be a good tool to get a truthful answer to areas that my need to improve.

Being fired for the off the field stuff should have happened before now if it was such a concern. Let me be clear, neither coach has broken the law, done anything to put a kid in danger nor been charged with a crime. This seems very personal to me. And I am not sure why the two new school board members would have so much pull over the board IF they are the ones pushing this agenda. The school board tried to make it clear that they are not involved in personnel decisions, but then it is rumored that two of them met with Bob Skidmore after the last BOE meeting. If true, that puts the whole board at the center of this.

I do not like how these two men were treated. Are they perfect humans, no. Are any of us perfect, no. As Mike Valenti said in his speech, you will never find perfect. They have coached at Valley View for about 30 years between the two of them and this was not an issue until this year. Why now?

The Super is not going anywhere. This BOE gave him a 5 year extension last year to add on to his one remaining year, My guess would be at $130,000 salary, $20,000 in retirement contributions and health insurance , plus an expense account, that his buyout this summer would be $850,000 or more. Valley View does not have the money to get rid of him. Makes you ask why they would give their Super this extension last year? Was this in the works last summer and he wanted some guarantees? In essence, a 6 year Super contract in highly unusual. Most are 2-4 years. Would love to hear if any other school as had a Super on a 6 year contract.

My last question on this post would be who was on the interview committee? The school release said former football players. I can't see any former players after 1990 being on this committee. They all are very upset and loyal to this staff. Was it Ben DeGroat, Elliot Boyd, Todd Kozarec? Did those guys play football at Valley View? The AD has resigned, so you would assume he was not a decision maker in this process.

If the school board ignores the community support for Skidmore and his assistants and approves the Moyer hire tonight (what ought to happen is that the school board should reverse its position on the coordinators and ask Skidmore to withdraw his resignation), then the community has no choice but to support Moyer and the kids who would be playing for him. The community will also have no choice but to clean house on the school board because there is no room for petty personal politics to take precedence over the overwhelmingly-expressed will of the community.
Obviously this isn't going to happen or they wouldn't have offered Moyer the job. The board is planning to move forward and hopefully the community and specifically the parents directly involved with the football program can be mature enough to give Moyer a chance. He had nothing to do with the current situation. The only people who will suffer in the long run if the community handles this poorly will be the kids. The community's beef should be with the superintendent and the school board, not Moyer. By all accounts, he seems to be a good football coach and an even better man. The community shouldn't let their view of him be clouded by the actions taken against the former staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.