2021 Steubenville Big Red

Win Total?

• Total voters
Considering you’ve been commenting here since 2005. You would of know by now the schedule is always strong enough to prepare them. 6 state championship appearances with 3 victories last 15 years in D3 and D4.

But I guess you can die on that lame weak schedule stuff hill like a lot of people do.

football teams that only want the sure wins or home games only on their schedule are not doing programs any favors. If they play home and home for the next 10 years, they will likely end up 5-5 against each other.
Look I'm no big fan of BRed and certainly not their HC, but believe me as long he's at the helm you must be dreamin if you think you can go 5-5 if you start playing them, maybe you'd eek out 1 victory but that's with BR being down in talent which most years is not the case, and correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't L'Ville been down the last few years?

Look I'm no big fan of BRed and certainly not their HC, but believe me as long he's at the helm you must be dreamin if you think you can go 5-5 if you start playing them, maybe you'd eek out 1 victory but that's with BR being down in talent which most years is not the case, and correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't L'Ville been down the last few years?
They absolutely would start out 0-3. The next 3 years at Steubenville are gonna be pretty special. I counted 7 sophmores making impact plays in both scrimmages along with the rest mainly Juniors. They have a good Senior class but the next 2 after this year are loaded.

They absolutely would start out 0-3. The next 3 years at Steubenville are gonna be pretty special. I counted 7 sophmores making impact plays in both scrimmages along with the rest mainly Juniors. They have a good Senior class but the next 2 after this year are loaded.
I agree BR might have the edge the first 3 years but Leps have a good program too. There is a reason the kids like playing the Feds schools, they like the challenge to play at the level of playing 6 teams that are D1 or D2. I am not saying I guarantee a victory but they will be good games! And a good week 10 matchup.

Liberty is a sure loss. In fact, it could be a slaughter--four or five touchdowns.
Save the Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes for another weekend. You have a nice big plate of crow to eat on this one. I’ll tell you what, I’ll make it easy on you. Just quote this post and select which letter you feel best describes why Big Red won

A - Liberty is down this year
B - If they played in week 7 or 8 Liberty would win by 9 touchdowns
C - 26 kids transferred in from West Virginia
D - Well…. I mean…. They play 9 home games

Last edited:
I think a pretty impressive win, the Big Red Defense was all over the quarterback for 3 quarters. A lot of first game of the season mistakes by both teams, but Big Red looked dominating.

Big Red looked very impressive tonight! Very well balanced team effort. The QB will progress throughout the season. Kid has some talent. Defense was solid. How did the local newspaper have Big Red predicted at 6-4??
I will be interested to see how Liberty fares this season. Did they lose a lot from last season or is Big Red just that good? I mean OL faces St. X in two weeks. I can’t see that team beating one of the best teams in the state in St. X.. i cant see it even being close…
It’s always a treat to see teams come in from all over the state and experience that DV atmosphere. What a tough place to win a football game. What did everyone think of the “forward pass” that was ruled a fumble? OL was running the option and the QB flipped the ball forward. Was ruled a fumble, BR ball.
Also, the 60+ yard seam pass that was called back before halftime for illegal motion was a killer for Olentangy Liberty. I did not see the flag. It was questionable. Nonetheless Big Red dominated with their usual brand of tough, physical football. Always fun to watch.

Agree about some questionable calls, but the better team won hands down. Big Red was more physical and it showed. Liberty QB was their only threat and he was running for his life, hell he got decapitated and still finished the game. Props to that young man.
By the end, Liberty was a battered team and They could back to Columbus quick enough.

One victory does not a season make.
Agree.
Steubenville and Reno always have the kids heads on straight despite the hubris fanbase.

Pretty clean game. Not much chirping or late hits.
Penalties went both ways.
Liberty has a really good football team, nice QB and a lot of quick players.
Big Red just made some outstanding plays on both sides of the ball.
Big Red always one of the best tackling teams you’ll see. Liberty was outstanding as well at tackling, great to see after watching Ursuline/Hartley Thursday night.

Really nice win. All phases, locked in. It is hard to say how this Olentangy team compares to the last couple years, but they're obviously a huge Division I program with a solid recent track record.

I know a lot of attention will be paid to the 67 yard play before halftime that was called back, but Big Red totally dominated the second half. Really nice tackling by both sides. A little messy with the penalties to start, but both squads cleaned it up as the game went along.

Good luck to Liberty the rest of the way.

RRR

About the 67 yard play. It didn’t go for a touchdown, the OL player was tackled on the 11 yard with 28 seconds on a running clock, (Not sure of the time out situation).
The QB for OL was injured and the back up played the last 2 played of the half. I guess my point is that tacking a score on at the end of the half was not a given, OL had work to do with a short clock and without their best player

Liberty has a playoff streak back through 2014. Football in the Columbus area has gotten pretty tough, and Liberty has usually been eliminated by one of the really big boys in D1. Liberty will reload just fine, even though they lose a lot.

On Calpreps in 2020, Liberty was #18 overall. Big Red was #158 overall.
So!