2021 Backyard Brawl- Lake Blue Streaks @ Green Bulldogs

Who've you got?

• Lake Blue Streaks

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Green Bulldogs

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Bull GreenDog

Week 10 is here, which means all eyes in Uniontown will be on the annual Backyard Brawl between Lake and Green. Green Memorial Stadium is hosting the game this year, and there should be a huge crowd on hand on Friday. Now, as for the teams, Lake is coming off a thrilling win over Perry in double overtime, and has a shot to secure a home playoff game should they emerge victorious. The Blue Streaks got off to a fast start behind an excellent defense and physical rushing attack led by Brady and Sollberger. Green is enjoying their best season in over a decade, though they are coming off a setback against an outstanding Hoover squad. The Bulldogs have a strong defense of their own, and plenty of experienced players on offense. Unlike their crosstown rivals, Green relies on their passing game to put up points, primarily by utilizing the school-record setting Van Horn- Martin connection. Due to the playoff implications for both schools, this may be the most anticipated Backyard Brawl in recent memory.

If Lake plays the way they are capable. They will beat Green by a couple scores.If they play like they did tonight against Perry. Green will beat them.

Green has a good team this year and it is going to be a great game! If Lake plays better offensively than they have the last few games they have a good chance of winning. Their Offense has been very sloppy as of late with penalties and bad ball handling. Green is a big passing team and if Lakes defense does not get QB pressure it may be a long night for Lake. I hope it rains Friday evening... ??️☔?️

Last edited:
If Lake plays the way they are capable. They will beat Green by a couple scores.If they play like they did tonight against Perry. Green will beat them.
So if Lake plays the way they are capable and Green plays the way they are capable you have Lake winning by two scores? Just curious as to how and why you came to this conclusion?

Lake can be pretty good when they don't beat themselves with turnovers, penalties. If they avoid those things, they win. Green pretty good, so Lake margin of error is slim and they have to avoid the mistakes. Lake is going to run the ball on Green. Lake secondary will be the key to win. I like Lake in a close game 24-21

When was the last time green beat Lake? 2017?
Yup, but Green should have won in 2019. If it weren't for that 90 yard TD run you guys had on the last play of the first half :mad:

I'm sure Lake fans feel the same way about the 2017 game though. After the Streaks scored twice in the first 3 minutes I thought it was over for the Dawgs.

This game just doesn't feel the rivalry I thought it would. Maybe the kids feel different. Back in the day Wadsworth and even Tallmadge seemed like much fiercer rival games, IMO.

This game just doesn't feel the rivalry I thought it would. Maybe the kids feel different. Back in the day Wadsworth and even Tallmadge seemed like much fiercer rival games, IMO.
I think to the kids it is a rivalry to the Green football team...to Lake we have played them a lot before they came into the league..and that Lake has played the other teams so much it isn't like playing Hoover. It is like when Lake came in 1987...we had to find rivalry...It used to be East Canton...think Green has been working thru the same and may have chosen us to be their new rival

From what I’ve heard from the kids, it does seem like a rivalry to be honest.

So if Lake plays the way they are capable and Green plays the way they are capable you have Lake winning by two scores? Just curious as to how and why you came to this conclusion?
Well I despite being a young team. They are a better than expected team. Green is also a good team. Lake has played poorly against pretty much every Federal League team except Jackson. Green has played poorly against every except every one except Perry and Glenoak. The difference is Lake as poorly as they played still were in those games. They should have beat McKinley, instead they threw an interception in the endzone and it was returned for a td. They should if beat Hoover. Solberger broke a long run which could have iced the game. However he fumbled and Hoover was lucky and recovered the ball.They left too much time on the clock against Jackson. Despite playing sloppy or poorly they really could be undefeated! Where as Green, I know they have had injuries. They were blown out against McKinley and didn't do anything against Hoover.

Well I despite being a young team. They are a better than expected team. Green is also a good team. Lake has played poorly against pretty much every Federal League team except Jackson. Green has played poorly against every except every one except Perry and Glenoak. The difference is Lake as poorly as they played still were in those games. They should have beat McKinley, instead they threw an interception in the endzone and it was returned for a td. They should if beat Hoover. Solberger broke a long run which could have iced the game. However he fumbled and Hoover was lucky and recovered the ball.They left too much time on the clock against Jackson. Despite playing sloppy or poorly they really could be undefeated! Where as Green, I know they have had injuries. They were blown out against McKinley and didn't do anything against Hoover.
Green was just as close to beating Jackson as Lake was. The Polar Bears blocked a game-winning field goal attempt as time expired to beat us by 1 at Robert Fife. Plus Trey Martin got hurt in the first quarter. Green played outstanding in that game.

Well not sure your info is accurate. I also believe the "this is what you did against them and here's what we did" is ever a good argument. I am not giving excuses but some things that contributed to games. Our kicker was out with covid but was just average anyhow that tells you about our backup. We had a chance to win against Jackson despite losing our two best receivers in the game unfortunately with our lack of depth they are also our two best defenders. This carried over to McK which is the only game we weren't in. Against NC we marched right down to the 20 and then the 25 on our first two possessions only to kick ourselves in the foot with penalties and miscues. NC defense had their hand in that as well. We then made nice halftime adjustments and shut them out in the 2nd half but could only manage one TD. So to say we did nothing against Hoover is based on you didn't see the game, although the better team definitely won. From following games I'd give a very, very slight edge to Lake but Green is at home so hopefully its a great game.

Oh,but I did see the game.
Not live of course. Oh and Lake shut Hoover down as well in the 2nd half. The only points they got were the game winning 3 pts.

And you're still missing the point.Lake only played well against Jackson. They made a ton of mistakes in the other games. Yet,they're a play a way in each game from being unbeaten. So yes I believe if Lake plays the way they are capable they will win this game.

I agree, I hope it is a great game!

Last edited:
I think to the kids it is a rivalry to the Green football team...to Lake we have played them a lot before they came into the league..and that Lake has played the other teams so much it isn't like playing Hoover. It is like when Lake came in 1987...we had to find rivalry...It used to be East Canton...think Green has been working thru the same and may have chosen us to be their new rival
East Canton used to be Lakes rival...its amazing how things change.

I agree over time the rivalry will set in, Green is still relatively new to the league. It's a natural rivalry between the communities.

East Canton used to be Lakes rival...its amazing how things change.

I agree over time the rivalry will set in, Green is still relatively new to the league. It's a natural rivalry between the communities.
That is bizarre to think about. Can’t imagine Lake playing east canton in today’s game.

Reactions: y2h
Well back in the day I thought Springfield was way too good to play Green, boy has that changed. Now Springfield shouldn't even play Mogadore.
I actually said why in the world is Springfield scheduling them?

Now slap that emoji on there d bag cause that was a funny statement right there?

That is bizarre to think about. Can’t imagine Lake playing east canton in today’s game.
In 1968 Lake was 8 and 2...they were 1 and 2 after the first three games...they then went 36 and 1. Ed Marshall was the coach and he was named coach of the year 3 of the 4 years...1968 thru 1971...he didn't get it one year...the East Canton coach was named coach of the year...he didn't lose to Lake as bad as the other teams...lol

Sponsored by our friends at Cleveland Clinic Union Hospital

It’s rivalry week?!!

Ahead of their matchup against Lake watch the Green Bulldogs ? team & Coach Mark Geiss on The Big Time Sports ? show with Joe Dunn!

I'm going to disagree with the majority of posters who voted in the poll, and give a slight edge to Green. The Bulldogs are the more experienced team, and I think our 20+ seniors get it done on Senior Night. What I expect to be a huge home crowd should play a role as well, though I have no doubt that the Blue Streak faithful will travel well. I'm thinking back to the first half last year at Lake before Van Horn got hurt, and how effective the Green passing game was. Combine that with an improved defense and the fact that Green has always played well against Lake at home going back to 2014 even when the Streaks had better teams, and I'm feeling good about tomorrow.

I'm going to disagree with the majority of posters who voted in the poll, and give a slight edge to Green. The Bulldogs are the more experienced team, and I think our 20+ seniors get it done on Senior Night. What I expect to be a huge home crowd should play a role as well, though I have no doubt that the Blue Streak faithful will travel well. I'm thinking back to the first half last year at Lake before Van Horn got hurt, and how effective the Green passing game was. Combine that with an improved defense and the fact that Green has always played well against Lake at home going back to 2014 even when the Streaks had better teams, and I'm feeling good about tomorrow.
2014 first half was BRUTAL.