2021-2022 Elder Basketball

At first glance, this Varsity Roster doesn't look as deep as they were last year. I know they haven't done the mass subs in recent years but they have gone 9, 10, 11 deep at times.

I would expect the starting 5 to be:
1. Keller
2. Harp
3. Whitmer
4. Browne
5. Kirch

With Busam and Menninger being first off the bench. Gutekunst, Hilton and Tieman were all big players on JV last season.

Also not surprised to see Johnson make the Varsity roster, but I wonder how many people saw Murphy being on there as well.

At first glance, this Varsity Roster doesn't look as deep as they were last year. I know they haven't done the mass subs in recent years but they have gone 9, 10, 11 deep at times.

I would expect the starting 5 to be:
1. Keller
2. Harp
3. Whitmer
4. Browne
5. Kirch

With Busam and Menninger being first off the bench. Gutekunst, Hilton and Tieman were all big players on JV last season.

Also not surprised to see Johnson make the Varsity roster, but I wonder how many people saw Murphy being on there as well.
Not as deep as last yr, but a lot of experience and talent back among the top 7. I think Johnson could legitimately work his way into the rotation as the season progresses.

Not as deep as last yr, but a lot of experience and talent back among the top 7. I think Johnson could legitimately work his way into the rotation as the season progresses.
Funny, I kind of feel the same about Murphy only because they seem a little thin at G. Looks like a lot of 3s and 4s on that roster.

1- Keller, Gutekunst/Hilton?
2- Whitmer, Murphy/Hilton/Tieman
3- Harp, Johnson
4-Busam, Menninger
5-Browne, Kirch

Probably looks something like this.

1- Keller, Gutekunst/Hilton?
2- Whitmer, Murphy/Hilton/Tieman
3- Harp, Johnson
4-Busam, Menninger
5-Browne, Kirch

Probably looks something like this.
Is Harp really a 3? I guess it’s semantics, but I look at this as more of a 3 G lineup.

Hopefully, we can get a decent crowd out to Mason on Saturday, including students

Anyone go and can shed some light on scrimmage as I heard Austing has some talent at Sycamore but not to the level of Elder.
Lost badly, but Elder not at full strength. Still, not what I would consider acceptable for this team.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, I’m ok with basketball being average 8 out of every 10 or so seasons. There’s a lot of things working against the program, mostly that the better athletes usually gravitate towards football.

However, there needs to be a sense of urgency to win in the brief window when you do have talent to compete. This is very likely JS’s last team that will have the talent to make a deep tournament run and it doesn’t sound to me like they’re where they should be to start the season. IDC how good Sycamore is, they shouldn’t beat down Elder like that.

This is just my opinion, I’m ok with basketball being average 8 out of every 10 or so seasons. There’s a lot of things working against the program, mostly that the better athletes usually gravitate towards football.

However, there needs to be a sense of urgency to win in the brief window when you do have talent to compete. This is very likely JS’s last team that will have the talent to make a deep tournament run and it doesn’t sound to me like they’re where they should be to start the season. IDC how good Sycamore is, they shouldn’t beat down Elder like that.
Agree. This was a very disappointing report.

Anyone go and can shed some light on scrimmage as I heard Austing has some talent at Sycamore but not to the level of Elder.
Outside of Harp and Keller, this team isn’t even close to last years team. First off they’re only about 6 deep with the 4th 5th and 6th being average at best, we kept 15?? They lost by 16 but our coach subbed like he had to use a whole season of subbing in one game, there were many times he would put a player in and take him out 10 seconds later because he subs so much and can’t remember who he just put in. A large part of the game Harp and Keller weren’t even in the game together. Kirch didn’t play at all and hasn’t even practiced yet. Harp looks a little rusty but he will be fine, I don’t think we have to worry about him. Keller looked really good. Our big guy has a long way to go. Needs to play a lot stronger fast(needs to play around the rim like he’s 6’8”), if he doesn’t, we’re going to have guards out rebound him. It’s a long season, hopefully we can gel quickly.

It's a scrimmage. I wouldn't put too much stock in the game. I would guess once the season starts that Keller and Harp won't come off the floor, and they shouldn't. Browne should be in for most of the game as well. Whitmer and Johnson can score the ball and could log quite a few mins as well. Mix in Busam, Kirch, menninger and they will be more than fine.

It’s a scrimmage in November. Not a big deal yet. The football guys usually aren’t up and running until after Christmas anyway.

It’s a scrimmage in November. Not a big deal yet. The football guys usually aren’t up and running until after Christmas anyway.

But you’re jumping head first into the season playing the defending big school state champ from Indiana.

But you’re jumping head first into the season playing the defending big school state champ from Indiana.
they just have to beat Oak Hills and GCL teams and just like last year Busam is the secret weapon. if he plays good they win he is the ultimate difference maker

Who cares about the ending score in a scrimmage. Coaches are looking at what they have and who can do what in certain situations. There are new players in new roles, it may take a while. Goal is to have the cranking by the end of the season.

they just have to beat Oak Hills and GCL teams and just like last year Busam is the secret weapon. if he plays good they win he is the ultimate difference maker
I would have to disagree. Busam may be serviceable, but Kirch seems to prove year in and year out that he is in fact Elder's X factor, and assuming he fully recovers from the extensive football season he just endured (and manages to not lose his temper and yell at the refs about moving screens), he should be a big contributor throughout this season, most especially on the defensive end.

All the more reason to say, so what? This school won't be in the way of their goals, GCLS and State. This result will have zero barring on how the season plays out.

All the more reason to say, so what? This school won't be in the way of their goals, GCLS and State. This result will have zero barring on how the season plays out.
But it’s never good to start off the yr getting waxed.

Neither of them are 6’8’. Browne’s shooting ability is a big plus, but they really need him to step up as a scorer in the post.
That's a lot different than saying he needs to be a post player. He needs to be versatile, but yes when he has matchups that he can take advantage of, they need to feed him the ball. He did that a lot on JV last year, but he also didn't force shots just because he had a good matchup. I know Harp and Keller love to shoot 3s, but they need to be more of an inside-out team when it comes their 3s this year. They won't be able to play 5-out as much.

But it’s never good to start off the yr getting waxed.
You are the only person out there who will care if they get waxed in game 1. You'll be on here stating the sky is falling. Nothing they do before Christmas really matters. Get in shape, beat who you should, stay healthy. When the calendar flips and GCL play begins, then we'll know a lot more about this team.

I would have to disagree. Busam may be serviceable, but Kirch seems to prove year in and year out that he is in fact Elder's X factor, and assuming he fully recovers from the extensive football season he just endured (and manages to not lose his temper and yell at the refs about moving screens), he should be a big contributor throughout this season, most especially on the defensive end.
Kirch does have a bit of a "personality" to say the least but i still believe Busam is the x-factor to take this team from a good to a great team. Busam is a top 4 shooter and maybe best athlete on the team and all around great player. i cant wait to see him play a full year as some of you may remember he tore his ACL and was out all of last year coming back at the end to tear it up. flat out kid can straight up ball