2019 NFL Draft

Some insane times ran overt the weekend. Insane how fast Noah Fant, DJ Metcalf, Gary and Quinnen Williams ran considering how big they are. Kind of bummed Kendall Sheffield wasn't able to run, curious to see who would have posted a faster time between he and Parris Campbell.

So I was at the combine for the 1st time and here are a couple quick takes:

1) I never stepped inside Lucas Oil Stadium as do most of the folks that are there for the combine, the real action is in the hotel lobbies and various restaurants in downtown Indy. Only saw a few players as most are sheltered and kept in a controlled environment by their agents or "handlers". One that stood out to me was tOSU long snapper Liam Mccullough, he was not invited to the combine but was there interviewing with teams. Dude found the weight room and looked like a normal college kid with these massive arms.

2) To me this thing was mostly a NFL job fair. I saw many folks with different NFL and NCAA gear inter-mingling and sharing contacts and exchanging cards. Everybody knew everyone. Also a lot of agents setting the ground work for Free Agent deals.

3) The amount of NCAA folks present was staggering, along with the coaches there were all the fitness related personnel as well as the PR types. Even Div II schools were well represented. A player always had at least 1 of their college support staff present and the PR guys were controlling the message via social media and keeping recruits in the loop as to how well their players were doing. After the NFL job fair recruiting event would probably be the next biggest deal.

Finally I think every black Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade, Excursion, etc.. in Indiana was in town ferreting people around. Never seen so many in one place in my life.

Some insane times ran overt the weekend. Insane how fast Noah Fant, DJ Metcalf, Gary and Quinnen Williams ran considering how big they are. Kind of bummed Kendall Sheffield wasn't able to run, curious to see who would have posted a faster time between he and Parris Campbell.

Maybe the most overrated aspect of the combine. For certain positions it is important but for a DL the 10 yard number is the bigger deal. Also I was told the interview process is bigger these days then the wonderlic test. Check out how Jachai Polite's stock is doing after a disastrous media interview.

With about a month to go before the draft many think it is almost a fore gone conclusion that Arizona takes Muray at 1 and deals Rosen to another team. Think about it, if you would have told me a year ago at this time that a .500 coach from a mid-tier Big 12 program would be a NFL head coach and w/ the #1 pick taking an undersized spread option QB I would have fallen over laughing. But that is where we are in the NFL at the end of this decade, the days of the big NFL pocket passer appear done.

It seems like the Cardinals have an awful lot of holes and Rosen wasn't that awful given his supporting cast. If Kingsbury is truly an offensive genius, he should be able to figure it out with Murray. I wonder if they're throwing up a smoke screen in hopes some team big on Murray gives up a king's ransom to move into their slot, allowing them to fill some of their many holes.

I think people are just wasting their times as looking at mock drafts, paying attention to what is being said, or not said, by GM's, coaches, "experts", sources and the like this time of year.

The only things worth giving attention this time of year is FA signings/departures, contract extensions and releasing of players. The other stuff is just fluff and a waste of time this part of the season

If I'm Rosen's agent, I make it known that I'm open to immediate re-negotiation for a contract extension with NE if they want it - even if I don't know Bill's plans for his own career.

If he's traded to the 'Nati, they only get the existing contract with AZ if I'm the agent. Too much unknown there. I steer my client away.

Didn't know Brady makes less per year than Dalton, according to SI:

New England Patriots

Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Danny Etling

The best quarterback of all time for less money per year than Andy Dalton. Still can’t beat it, even if he’s 41.

New England Patriots

The best quarterback of all time for less money per year than Andy Dalton. Still can’t beat it, even if he’s 41.

What's an extra $1M to a guy whose wife is net worth is 3x his is?

What's an extra $1M to a guy whose wife is net worth is 3x his is?

I get it but he doesn't let his ego get in the way. Most QB's of his caliber would have the mindset of "I'm the GOAT. Should be paid the most" but he's always tried to help the team with their cap flexibility so they could remain viable, long-term.

New England Patriots

Sleeping with Giselle isn't the only benefit Brady enjoys in his marriage. She's worth far more than any NFL QB salary.

Tom Terrific does an endorsement or two, as well. Leaving money on the table to help your team's cap situation helps your ring count which helps your endorsement draw which increases your income which makes it easier to leave some money on the table. Did I mention that could also help a team's cap situation?!? :banana:

Brady/Bill's extreme success in a cap sport, pair of GOATs or not, is a fine example of why the NBA and MLB both need a hard cap. They could suck like last-contract Flacco's Ravens without Tom's salary selflessness. Revenue sharing with players and roster sizes play a big role, too, but even paying scrubs millions would be worth the parity in my mind. Lord knows it's like medical - they aren't going to charge any less for the product than the market will bear.

Last edited:
I get it but he doesn't let his ego get in the way. Most QB's of his caliber would have the mindset of "I'm the GOAT. Should be paid the most" but he's always tried to help the team with their cap flexibility so they could remain viable, long-term.

see: LeBron demanding the highest salary as validation - to Gilbert's detriment. His NBA salary pales in comparison to endorsement take. He could have been paid less and had at least half of Steph's ad money on top of what he's getting already because he'd have more rings paying better help........ maybe even put the MJ debate to bed :shrug:

Brady>than Mr Teammate LBJ

Dumazz can't see the forest for the trees

Also of note when talking Brady's contract is his agent, Don Yee. Not too many folks know about him because that is the way he wants it and unlike agents in the NBA and MLB he is worried about what his clients want and not self promotion or using them to set the market for others.

But alas things will be changing once we miss the 2022 season due to a labor stoppage so contract extensions and the like over the next couple years will be minimal unless something is hammered out which is highly unlikely.

see: LeBron demanding the highest salary as validation - to Gilbert's detriment. His NBA salary pales in comparison to endorsement take. He could have been paid less and had at least half of Steph's ad money on top of what he's getting already because he'd have more rings paying better help........ maybe even put the MJ debate to bed :shrug:

LeBron has his titles. He's said throughout his career he wants to be the first billionaire playing in the NBA. It's clear this is his goal, not winning on the court.

And I get that TB12 is in a very favorable financial situation with his Sugar Mama but he doesn't "have" to take a discount. The fact that he does says that he's not all about "me." My understanding is that nobody outworks him and he's driven to win. Probably has a chip from being drafted as low as he was.

LeBron has his titles. He's said throughout his career he wants to be the first billionaire playing in the NBA. It's clear this is his goal, not winning on the court.

That was obvious when he bolted to LA. If he wanted the chance to continue playing for rings he would've stayed in the East and hooked up with Philly, Boston or stayed with the Cavs (if they could've put pieces around him). As it stands, and I said this when he left, he won't play for another championship while with the Lakers.