2019 Football

Fake Taxi

It’ll be interesting to see who will be taking snaps for the Crusaders next year. Caudill, Verdon, and Cloud are all more than capable. This team has to replace a lot of seniors on the dark side but I think there’s plenty of players up to the task. We have a great RB in Rotello but the Oline will be a question mark. Will Thibodeaux be kicking and punting this year? Thoughts?

We will be very young next year. Let's stop all the QB talk now. Verdon will be the QB and Cloud will push him for the job with Caudill. There is no way Verdon doesn't play QB next year. OL will be young and raw. This is not a good! In 2016 Coughlin punted and kicked so I could see that happening with Thibodeaux next year if there isn't a punter sitting in the wings. Let's just hope that the GCL South is down again snext year so that our youth has a chance.

I could see that happening. You have to remember when Cloud transferred that was just after the 2017 season so Verdon was not heard of coming to Moeller at that time. I think if they were going to move Verdon to a receiver or different position they would have done it this year while they had the chance to give him reps for next year.

I’d place a bet that Cloud will be looked at as a TE next season with his size. Verdon has the starting job likely in hand and there is a 75% that Sycamore starting QB is transferring into Moe. He will back up Verdon and play WR along with McEachen, Morton, Sledge and Land. If Kiner comes in from Roger Bacon, Rotello will be moving to Rover or Safety. If not, Rotello and Bryan White will be the RB. TJ is like a Swiss Army knife and can play multiple positions. Nolan Malone and French will be safeties. I think Doggett, Toepfer and Deuce Shaw will be LB’s. French is a wild card and has ability to play free safety and or LB. Valentine and Dyhle at corners. If French plays LB, I think Toepfer will play DE.

Jr’s Pabst, Bullock, Aiden Shaw and Merek at DL with Soph Garrett Jackson rotating. OL will be loaded with Juniors and Sophomores. Very Very young team next year. Somebody who isn’t mentioned will emerge as well. It happens every year

Last edited:
What about the OL?

Richter, Williams, and Sturgus all received playing time last year. Seniors Milne and Donato will likely round out the last two spots but also expect to see juniors LaRubbio, Fickell, and Lunsford-Staples receiving playing time as well.

Sturgis is really good- one of those kids who does all the little things, moves well helps that he plays lacrosse for the footwork.

So on the OL we have Richter (three year starter), Sturgis (playing time as Jr), Williams (playing time as Jr). That's three of the five positions. Has Milne even played a snap of varsity football? He's hurt all the time. What about Fickell? They moved him to OL last year. He has to be able to start for us next year.

I can see Fickell becoming a center. Richter is inconsistent and was benched, thrown to DL after having a poor attitude from week 8 on. Sturgis played some is a sophomore and should be an anchor for the next 2 years. LaRubbio has a shot at starting as well. Milne is finally healthy and will contribute. Some young guys gonna get their opportunity

Heard it through the grapevine that Moe has zero home games next year. Lockland contract has ended and Moe didn’t renew. I’m thinking the rental fee went WAAAY up. ALL road games in 2019

Heard it through the grapevine that Moe has zero home games next year. Lockland contract has ended and Moe didn’t renew. I’m thinking the rental fee went WAAAY up. ALL road games in 2019

If that is true, I would think the scheduled home games would be played at a local venue even if it meant moving Friday games to Saturday afternoon. No AD with half a brain would agree to travel to Cleveland on consecutive weekends as well as Louisville, Lexington etc. and play all conference games on the road. Moe needs a solution to a permanent home field sooner than later. GBM

If that is true, I would think the scheduled home games would be played at a local venue even if it meant moving Friday games to Saturday afternoon. No AD with half a brain would agree to travel to Cleveland on consecutive weekends as well as Louisville, Lexington etc. and play all conference games on the road. Moe needs a solution to a permanent home field sooner than later. GBM

Some exciting news on a stadium front could be developing soon on the stadium front (for all sports). Stay tuned.

Our AD doesn't have a brain so this wouldn't surprise me if true!

Some exciting news on a stadium front could be developing soon on the stadium front (for all sports). Stay tuned.

If you are referring to the 35 acres Moeller acquired in Loveland this year then yes. All sports except football. This is exciting news for all other sports and the school, but it was determined that a stadium cost would be astronomical. Just to put in sewage pipes, clear the land and put in parking is nearing 13 million alone. It will take some time for this to all take shape. Soccer, baseball, etc will all have home fields there in the coming years after completion.

There were serious talks of placing MND and Moeller on the same campus with shared amenities a few years ago with the purchase of land at the old Western Row golf course. Archdiocese didn’t want to do it only because they didn’t think MND’s vacant school would sell because of the area it sits. They were not worried about Moeller selling because it was in a prominent location. It would sell before a sign was up. This was a millimeter away from being done.

If you are referring to the 35 acres Moeller acquired in Loveland this year then yes. All sports except football. This is exciting news for all other sports and the school, but it was determined that a stadium cost would be astronomical. Just to put in sewage pipes, clear the land and put in parking is nearing 13 million alone. It will take some time for this to all take shape. Soccer, baseball, etc will all have home fields there in the coming years after completion.

There were serious talks of placing MND and Moeller on the same campus with shared amenities a few years ago with the purchase of land at the old Western Row golf course. Archdiocese didn’t want to do it only because they didn’t think MND’s vacant school would sell because of the area it sits. They were not worried about Moeller selling because it was in a prominent location. It would sell before a sign was up. This was a millimeter away from being done.

I brought up something similar to this as an option (merging athletic facilities only, keeping campuses) last year and got knocked for it. It would seem to make a lot of sense. Baseball/softball Fields, track, tennis courts, soccer, lacrosse/field hockey- all could share building maintenance expenses. Still doesn’t solve football stadium.

I brought up something similar to this as an option (merging athletic facilities only, keeping campuses) last year and got knocked for it. It would seem to make a lot of sense. Baseball/softball Fields, track, tennis courts, soccer, lacrosse/field hockey- all could share building maintenance expenses. Still doesn’t solve football stadium.

I agree with you Kballer. This is great for a lot of our sport teams but when is someone in the Administration going to look at solving the problem of a football stadium? I like the 35 acres and it solves a big problem but does this allow thought of building an onsite stadium at Moeller? Since you don't need both fields once the new facility is completed do you build a stadium going north and south on the back fields? Football can practice in the stadium (varsity and JV) and frosh can practice down on All Saints field. I know we wouldn't have lights right away but I'm sure something could be worked out with the neighbors. Maybe an ordinance that lights are out by 10:00 would work? I know parking wouldn't be ideal but heck parking isn't good at Elder or LaSalle. I think this is something that needs to be considered. If there was a plan like this I can see Alumni jumping on board and donating. It's time we get our own stadium....somewhere!

I had just graduated as the Faust Complex became a reality and maybe it’s changed, but I don’t remember there being a very favorable relationship with local communities and governing bodies, especially about permanent lights on campus.

I’m curious is anyone knows where we sit in terms of paying off debt from the construction of the new gym and I guess, generally, what kind of debt we have?

That leads me to my next thought, if they’ve really bought this land, I think they need to get a realistic number on the cost associated with building whatever facilities they think they need and let’s get started on raising funds?

Also wonder whatever happened to a master list of needs on campus? I love what they’ve done with the classroom 2.0 and obviously the gym and Faust Complex, but they were supposed to make the old gym a permaent seater theater and it still looks like it did when they built the new one.

Also, the AC is really looking dated whenever I’m back in town and drive by, they eventually gotta do something with that thing.

I’m all for shared facilities with MND or Ursuline or whomever, but if Lockland is really out, what’s the plan?

Cloud goes back to Loveland, just saying!

I don't think that happens, but my guess is staff and teammates are at least silently wondering if the Bolden announcement would have the Verdon family at least entertaining the possibility of him going back to LW.

I can see Fickell becoming a center. Richter is inconsistent and was benched, thrown to DL after having a poor attitude from week 8 on. Sturgis played some is a sophomore and should be an anchor for the next 2 years. LaRubbio has a shot at starting as well. Milne is finally healthy and will contribute. Some young guys gonna get their opportunity

Any updates on the Kiner kid from RB transferring to Moe?

I don't think that happens, but my guess is staff and teammates are at least silently wondering if the Bolden announcement would have the Verdon family at least entertaining the possibility of him going back to LW.

Hopefully Bolden is smart enough to not want any part of the Verdon family. If it was possible to just have Malik back, and leave his parents in Montgomery, then yeah...maybe.

Wyatt Kelley (6'2 225) Outside LB/ATH has just received his first two offer from Kent State and Miami! Crazy to think he only played in a couple games last year. His size and speed must have impressed.

Star QB Transfers

I can confirm that QB Daniel Caudill has transferred to Lakota West. This is unfortunate as he was a front runner for the starting position going into next season. Hopefully the Crusaders will be able to adapt to not having Caudill.

These transfers all seem the same. Prima donna transfers to Moe thinking (or his dad) he will play right away ahead of everyone else already in the program/be the star/savior of the program - go to a big time college and the NFL. Things don't pan out that way instantly so he/they get mad and transfer somewhere else. These transfers almost never seem to work out. I say, good riddance.