2019 Eastern Buckeye Conference

Alliance 10
Minerva 0

Bruni and Holt combined for a 5 inning no hitter. Pitching always seems to be ahead of hitting this time of year but Minerva was overmatched in this one. This is the first regular season game I saw and I am certainly by spoiled watching last year's senior class for 4 years. Definitely a rebuilding year for the Lions. A parent told me that we have only had 3 base runners in 2 games, 1 hit, 1 walk and 1 HBP. Seems like the coaches will keep the kids battling and the team will improve..

Alliance again today..

Marlington and West Branch suspended top of 9 tied at 2.
To be finished tonight if weather cooperates.

Game 2
Marlington 11
West Branch 2
Greiner get the win. 6 innings 2 E.R. 3 hits 10 K's
Jack Anderson 5 RBI

Marlington 4 west branch 3 in 9 innings
Freshman Josh Dezenzo goes 3-4 and junior Cj Greiner hits a 2 out 2 run single in the top of the 9th..Andrew pucci gets the win and Nate Allenbaugh the save

Alliance gave up 10 runs and one inning but still scored 3 in the top 7 to take and keep the lead for a 13-11 win over Minerva. The Lions showed a lot of heart after a rocky start. They need to find some pitchers with velocity though. I haven't' seen anyone that throws hard yet. Hopefully they are developing somebody with some speed.

Marlington and West Branch suspended top of 9 tied at 2.
To be finished tonight if weather cooperates.

Game 2
Marlington 11
West Branch 2
Greiner get the win. 6 innings 2 E.R. 3 hits 10 K's
Jack Anderson 5 RBI

Did WB pitch all of the kids that throw upper 80s and low 90s??

Did WB pitch all of the kids that throw upper 80s and low 90s??

??? thank you...the lefty from west branch is good..he probably sat low to mid 80s and will win some games for them...no one else on the staff threw as hard as the top 4 marlington arms...WB is young and will improve as the season goes on..2 big wins for the dukes tho!

Strasburg 9
Minerva 4

Minerva really struggled hitting the ball. Starting lefty pitched pretty well but the next 3 really struggled, not much velocity and not much control. It was non-league game so they worked some kids that they will need as the season goes on. Have WB for league games next week, Tuslaw Monday and DH against Sandy Valley Saturday. The kids are working hard and trying and the coaches keep coaching.

??? thank you...the lefty from west branch is good..he probably sat low to mid 80s and will win some games for them...no one else on the staff threw as hard as the top 4 marlington arms...WB is young and will improve as the season goes on..2 big wins for the dukes tho!

I was able to make it to game 1 that could of went either way . If Cunningham was only throwing in the low to mid 80’s the Dukes sure had a hard time hitting him. Game 2 I did not make ,But I have know idea why Conrad ,Hillyer or Egli we’re not pitched. Those 3 along with Cunningham I’m told are WB top 4. The Duke have a very nice team. Best of luck ?

I was able to make it to game 1 that could of went either way . If Cunningham was only throwing in the low to mid 80’s the Dukes sure had a hard time hitting him. Game 2 I did not make ,But I have know idea why Conrad ,Hillyer or Egli we’re not pitched. Those 3 along with Cunningham I’m told are WB top 4. The Duke have a very nice team. Best of luck ?

I'd say he threw in the mid 80's. No one said he wasn't a good pitcher he is. He will win many games for WB..I think it's more the guy saying WB had 4 guys throwing in the 90's which is crazy. There is a huge difference between the mid 80' and 90. The only pitcher in the EBC is Bruni and that's not on a regular basis. 87,88 regularly yes. As far as hillyer goes I dont know . I do know they had someone who broke a finger but I'm not sure who. As far as game 2 I'm not sure Hillyer would of made a difference except maybe not giving up 11. WB had no answer for Greiner on that given day. He pretty much cruised giving up 3 hits and having 10 K's. WB is much like the Dukes were last year, starting many sophomore. That being said Marlington is young also. They only play 2 seniors on a regular basis. Start 2 freshman also. So again Number 67 is a very nice pitcher and will win games . The things I saw that hurt WB is defense and struggled hitting. There baby's and will grow game after game. Be patient the future looks promising. I'm still trying to figure out how Minerva scored 11 against Alliance. No way to know because the Alliance Ragview doesn't cover games. It is the poorest excuse of a paper I've ever seen.

maybe their control isn't quite there yet.. WB always ends up finishing strong and i bet they will be a contender at the end. Probably opening with Marlington is a tough break.. Good luck the rest of the year.

I'd say he threw in the mid 80's. No one said he wasn't a good pitcher he is. He will win many games for WB..I think it's more the guy saying WB had 4 guys throwing in the 90's which is crazy. There is a huge difference between the mid 80' and 90. The only pitcher in the EBC is Bruni and that's not on a regular basis. 87,88 regularly yes. As far as hillyer goes I dont know . I do know they had someone who broke a finger but I'm not sure who. As far as game 2 I'm not sure Hillyer would of made a difference except maybe not giving up 11. WB had no answer for Greiner on that given day. He pretty much cruised giving up 3 hits and having 10 K's. WB is much like the Dukes were last year, starting many sophomore. That being said Marlington is young also. They only play 2 seniors on a regular basis. Start 2 freshman also. So again Number 67 is a very nice pitcher and will win games . The things I saw that hurt WB is defense and struggled hitting. There baby's and will grow game after game. Be patient the future looks promising. I'm still trying to figure out how Minerva scored 11 against Alliance. No way to know because the Alliance Ragview doesn't cover games. It is the poorest excuse of a paper I've ever seen.

I agree 100% about WB- they will just get better. As far as Minerva scoring 11 on Alliance: We scored 10 runs in the bottom of 3rd. Simons didn't quite have it his control was off and Alliance threw the ball around a little bit in that inning. I think they lost focus. But to their credit they scored 5 runs in the 6th and 7th to comeback and win. they will need to play much better against Marlington and WB but they have a nice line up 1-9 and the 2nd 2 pitchers threw well, I think it was Holt and Strata..

Last edited:
Congrats to Coach Travis and the Minerva staff for their 1st win, 6-3 over Tuslaw. A very impressive pitching performance by Sophomore Evan Barnes. Complete game with less than 90 pitches, 7 strikeouts, 2 walks and no earned runs. Very impress performance for his first outing. He threw with some velocity and very good control. I have never seen him pitch but it looks like he has a pretty bright future..

I was able to make it to game 1 that could of went either way . If Cunningham was only throwing in the low to mid 80’s the Dukes sure had a hard time hitting him. Game 2 I did not make ,But I have know idea why Conrad ,Hillyer or Egli we’re not pitched. Those 3 along with Cunningham I’m told are WB top 4. The Duke have a very nice team. Best of luck

Warrior "only throwing low to mid 80s??" Low to mid 80s on a consistent basis in high school baseball is really good. If a kid can do that and throw strikes they will pitch in college. Once a kid gets to the upper 80s it will probably come with a D1 offer, if a lefty can sit at 88-92 he may get drafted. So to say the kid was throwing low to mid 80s is a pretty big compliment for a high school kid. I have read that the average high school fastball is 75 to 78, average D1 college fastball is 85 to 88 and pro is 90 to 92 - these are game speeds not bullpen speeds. So to start saying WB has a bunch of kids throwing upper 80s to low 90s may be a little high. I really do look forward to seeing Cunningham pitch today, I heard he is getting D1 looks.

I found this article:

"Roger Clemens was reported to be 82-84 mph out of high school. Billy Wagner – 78 mph. Braves closer in the late 90’s Mark Wohlers was 82 mph. Clemens did not hit 90 mph until college. Both Wohlers and Wagner ended up throwing over 100 mph. No pitcher should compare his velocity to someone else’s since you must consider all the variables."

Warrior "only throwing low to mid 80s??" Low to mid 80s on a consistent basis in high school baseball is really good. If a kid can do that and throw strikes they will pitch in college. Once a kid gets to the upper 80s it will probably come with a D1 offer, if a lefty can sit at 88-92 he may get drafted. So to say the kid was throwing low to mid 80s is a pretty big compliment for a high school kid. I have read that the average high school fastball is 75 to 78, average D1 college fastball is 85 to 88 and pro is 90 to 92 - these are game speeds not bullpen speeds. So to start saying WB has a bunch of kids throwing upper 80s to low 90s may be a little high. I really do look forward to seeing Cunningham pitch today, I heard he is getting D1 looks.

I found this article:

"Roger Clemens was reported to be 82-84 mph out of high school. Billy Wagner – 78 mph. Braves closer in the late 90’s Mark Wohlers was 82 mph. Clemens did not hit 90 mph until college. Both Wohlers and Wagner ended up throwing over 100 mph. No pitcher should compare his velocity to someone else’s since you must consider all the variables."

Very good post. Very accurate information. I've seen pitchers that throw 82/83 and gets rocked due to lack of movement and there off speed stuff is to close to the FB speed also everything is belt high. On the other hand I've seen 75 to 78 mph pitchers that have nasty off speed stuff. Change ups should be at least 10 mph less than the FB. I'll take a pitcher anyday over a thrower.

Very good post. Very accurate information. I've seen pitchers that throw 82/83 and gets rocked due to lack of movement and there off speed stuff is to close to the FB speed also everything is belt high. On the other hand I've seen 75 to 78 mph pitchers that have nasty off speed stuff. Change ups should be at least 10 mph less than the FB. I'll take a pitcher anyday over a thrower.

Great point on the off speed stuff, we had a kid that threw around 78 last year (Connor Wright) but his change up and curve ball were so good with a huge speed difference that his fastball seemed 90 at times. He was a pitcher, not a thrower. Yesterday Evan Barnes hit spots and seemed to change speeds really well and threw 88 pitches in 7 innings, they just couldn't square him up. Although having great velocity sure is a bonus!!!

Great point on the off speed stuff, we had a kid that threw around 78 last year (Connor Wright) but his change up and curve ball were so good with a huge speed difference that his fastball seemed 90 at times. He was a pitcher, not a thrower. Yesterday Evan Barnes hit spots and seemed to change speeds really well and threw 88 pitches in 7 innings, they just couldn't square him up. Although having great velocity sure is a bonus!!!
Conner was very good. Where is he pitching? I remember him having nasty off speed stuff. Back to the 90 mph thing. My son and I help coach a very good summer team. We play many of the top teams in Ohio and from out of state. You can count on one hand how many pitchers hit 90 on a regular basis. A lefty that is even close to 90 and I mean mid to upper 80's would of committed most likely by now. Example Bruni committed to the Buckeyes before he ever through a pitch in high school. I haven't seen anyone in the EBC that's close to Gavin velocity wise. Like I said before some kids can hit nice numbers on the crow hop but that's so misleading. Big difference between a crow hop and a wind up. Another pet peeve of mine is exit velocity. I call them cage kings , they put up high velocity and rake in the cage that they put on a show. But many of them do not do as well in the box. Some can't hit a curve ball or time up the change up. To many kids today try to pull everything. Yea those deep fly outs are impressive lol. A truly good hitter stays the ball all over. Hit it where its pitched. Theres very few good opposite field hitters .

Conner was very good. Where is he pitching? I remember him having nasty off speed stuff. Back to the 90 mph thing. My son and I help coach a very good summer team. We play many of the top teams in Ohio and from out of state. You can count on one hand how many pitchers hit 90 on a regular basis. A lefty that is even close to 90 and I mean mid to upper 80's would of committed most likely by now. Example Bruni committed to the Buckeyes before he ever through a pitch in high school. I haven't seen anyone in the EBC that's close to Gavin velocity wise. Like I said before some kids can hit nice numbers on the crow hop but that's so misleading. Big difference between a crow shop and a wind up. Another pet peeve of mine is exit velocity. I call them cage kings , they put up high velocity and take in the cage that they put on a show. But many of them do not do as well in the box. Some can't hit a curve ball or time up the change up. To many kids today try to pull everything. Yea those deep fly outs are impressive lol. A truly good hitter stays the ball all over. Hit it where its pitched. Theres very few good opposite field hitters .

WB 9-0 over Minerva.
Cunningham 1-6 Rienhart closed. The Freshman Conrad is expected to pitch tomorrow looking forward to see if the hype around this kid is legit. Saw him a couple years back in a hot stove championship game. He was impressive back then.

WB 9-0 over Minerva.
Cunningham 1-6 Rienhart closed. The Freshman Conrad is expected to pitch tomorrow looking forward to see if the hype around this kid is legit. Saw him a couple years back in a hot stove championship game. He was impressive back then.

Cunningham was certainly impressive. Pretty good velocity and good control. He is not in Bruni territory as far as velocity but he can pitch and has tremendous upside. WB always seems to come up with a really good ACE and if Conrad is as good as you say, a really good 2. I will probably stick in Minerva and watch the JV game but may take the trip to see this big freshman. As far as Minerva, I was told last night that we have a couple of JV pitchers that are probably better than most of the varsity staff?? We have big lefty that pitched his 2nd complete game in a row against WB yesterday and has close to 30 Ks and 1 walk in those 2 outings. He also pitched varsity as a freshman last year and had the 2nd most varsity innings?? I wonder if he was hurt or something to start the year and is working his way back?

Conner was very good. Where is he pitching? I remember him having nasty off speed stuff. Back to the 90 mph thing. My son and I help coach a very good summer team. We play many of the top teams in Ohio and from out of state. You can count on one hand how many pitchers hit 90 on a regular basis. A lefty that is even close to 90 and I mean mid to upper 80's would of committed most likely by now. Example Bruni committed to the Buckeyes before he ever through a pitch in high school. I haven't seen anyone in the EBC that's close to Gavin velocity wise. Like I said before some kids can hit nice numbers on the crow hop but that's so misleading. Big difference between a crow shop and a wind up. Another pet peeve of mine is exit velocity. I call them cage kings , they put up high velocity and take in the cage that they put on a show. But many of them do not do as well in the box. Some can't hit a curve ball or time up the change up. To many kids today try to pull everything. Yea those deep fly outs are impressive lol. A truly good hitter stays the ball all over. Hit it where its pitched. Theres very few good opposite field hitters .

Conner played basketball at Lake Erie College, no baseball. I really hope he finds his way back to the diamond.. He was really fun to watch on the mound and at shortstop. Cunningham is an outstanding pitcher from what I saw last night. But not close to Bruni as far as velocity yet. I am not taking anything away from him and WB will have a chance every time he takes the mound. And he is a sophomore too!!

Just stayed in town for the JV game but I heard the WB varsity put it to us. I heard the pitcher didn't get a lot of help from the defense but WB is just a better team in every aspect. Minerva JV had a pretty good pitcher again, very good control and the boys played good defense. They seem to be really strong up the middle, the SS, 2B and centerfielder made a lot of plays. I remember a dropped pop up and a bad throw and double play turn as the only errors. A kid from Minerva pitched the last inning and looked to throw harder than anyone on the varsity. I am guessing that he may have control issues or poor off speed stuff and that's why he pitches JV or maybe he is just a thrower and not a pitcher yet. I know the varsity is struggling right now but the JV has some players so the future of the program seems to be ok. the Varsity does have some young kids too. It would be nice to get to the level of West Branch and just reload every year. I think Coach Travis will get the program there eventually.

Marlington 7
Carrollton 3

Congrats to Canton South on what I would consider a big upset
Canton South beats Louisville
Sorry can’t remember final score

Marlington 7
Carrollton 3

Congrats to Canton South on what I would consider a big upset
Canton South beats Louisville
Sorry can’t remember final score

3-1 and not sure it is that big an upset. Here is my opinion on the Leopards. Great individual talent all over the field, but couple of the "leaders" are not really that great at leading. Yelling at your teammates isnt leading, walking off the field after you make an out isn't leading, not knowing situations in game isn't leading. I personally think this team has some issues to work through before they make a run at anything. I have only seen 2 games this year, but I saw 10 or more last year and one glaring issue I saw yesterday that I saw last year is the lack of baseball IQ on the bases. I think South got 4-5 guys out on the bases from stupid base running blunders

3-1 and not sure it is that big an upset. Here is my opinion on the Leopards. Great individual talent all over the field, but couple of the "leaders" are not really that great at leading. Yelling at your teammates isnt leading, walking off the field after you make an out isn't leading, not knowing situations in game isn't leading. I personally think this team has some issues to work through before they make a run at anything. I have only seen 2 games this year, but I saw 10 or more last year and one glaring issue I saw yesterday that I saw last year is the lack of baseball IQ on the bases. I think South got 4-5 guys out on the bases from stupid base running blunders

Do you think not playing in a league has something to do with it, there is really not a title to shoot for or even play the spoiler..

There is plenty to shoot for and not playing in a league has nothing to do with it. Some darn good ball players but humility and leadership were never part of the equation.

There is plenty to shoot for and not playing in a league has nothing to do with it. Some darn good ball players but humility and leadership were never part of the equation.

Hopefully they get it together. I have always had a lot of respect for Louisville's program. They made a nice run in the tournament last year and hopefully they can again this year..