2019 Cleveland Browns

That Shurmur-Childress combo was really...something.

I'm not the least bit upset they didn't follow through on McDaniels, McCarthy or Gase. I've never been overwhelmed by McDaniel's offense and I find him to be an arrogant little puke. McCarthy may not have been bad, but he's not a long term answer and I think his relationship with Rodgers may indicate he's a little set in his ways. I like Arians, but this team could use a guy who won't be in assisted living in the next decade.

Maybe Greg Schiano is the ace up the Browns sleeve. That worked well the last time Jimmy got behind him!

It was never clear how much rope Pat ever gave Childress. I seem to recall Childress would "design the game plan" and Pat would call the plays in-game. As both an OC and HC, Childress has a far more impressive record than Pat. So I do not hold the year in CLE against Brad.

It was never clear how much rope Pat ever gave Childress. I seem to recall Childress would "design the game plan" and Pat would call the plays in-game. As both an OC and HC, Childress has a far more impressive record than Pat. So I do not hold the year in CLE against Brad.

True...unfortunately, the Browns fans' recollection of Childress is tied to their memories of an awful season.

And let's not forget...there are coaches in the playoffs, such as Campbell, the Browns can't hire until their team is out...so this Freddie, Stefanski stuff might just all be fluff, because the coach they might really want (Campbell, Eberflus, Sirianni, McDaniels (hope not)...can't yet be hired.

True...unfortunately, the Browns fans' recollection of Childress is tied to their memories of an awful season.

Just win, baby. People here elevated Greggggggg to genius status quickly, just because he got them five wins in eight games. If Stefanski comes in with Brad, and Baker rips it up and the Browns go 12-4 and win the division...Kevin and Brad will be gods.

Just heard Chris Rose on The Fan with Phelps and Levine and he said he heard rumblings of some discord in the Browns' front office; that there seems to be disagreement about the coaching decision. Lord, please don't let Haslam muck this up again.

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport
Freddie Kitchens will be named new Browns head coach later today, per sources.

11:56 AM - Jan 9, 2019

Not that he was likely sticking around but..

Dan Graziano

@DanGrazianoESPN
The Browns have relieved defensive coordinator Gregg Williams of his duties and he is no longer with the team, sources tell @PatMcManamon and me.

12:07 PM - Jan 9, 2019

Not that he was likely sticking around but..

Dan Graziano

@DanGrazianoESPN
The Browns have relieved defensive coordinator Gregg Williams of his duties and he is no longer with the team, sources tell @PatMcManamon and me.

12:07 PM - Jan 9, 2019

Who would you like to see? Marinelli? Phillips? Schiano? Just kidding on the last one.

As an aside, I'll bet Tony Grossi is thrilled with the Williams departure. He never got over Williams calling him out at his introductory press conference. Rarely, if ever, did he give Williams any credit, even when he was doing the job as interim HC.

I used to think Grossi was the end-all for reportage for the Browns, just because of his breadth of experience. Plus, next to Mary Kay Cabot, he shined. Then, he got all bruised up when Mike Snyder got the exclusive Modell interview when he was moving the team and whined about it publicly, like it was somehow his divine right to get it. After that, he got canned by the Plain Dealer. WKNR hired him, and he had to think on his feet and go live on the air and since then, he's diminished in my view because he's pouty, reactionary, and rarely right.

Well Gregg is gone,maybe a house cleaning coming.Hope Freddie has a good DC buddy who will be ?

The hiring makes as much sense as any and I will support Freddie as a Browns fan, but the crazy rapid pace of his ascension concerns me. I sure hope he gets some top notch coordinators.

Good luck to Gregg Williams. I was not a big fan of his defenses, but he did the franchise a real service this past season and changed the attitude and culture of the team.

As an aside, I'll bet Tony Grossi is thrilled with the Williams departure. He never got over Williams calling him out at his introductory press conference. Rarely, if ever, did he give Williams any credit, even when he was doing the job as interim HC.

I used to think Grossi was the end-all for reportage for the Browns, just because of his breadth of experience. Plus, next to Mary Kay Cabot, he shined. Then, he got all bruised up when Mike Snyder got the exclusive Modell interview when he was moving the team and whined about it publicly, like it was somehow his divine right to get it. After that, he got canned by the Plain Dealer. WKNR hired him, and he had to think on his feet and go live on the air and since then, he's diminished in my view because he's pouty, reactionary, and rarely right.

I like Grossi for his opinions regarding the Browns. He generally has a good handle on things and his views about them are typically solid. He can no longer shine as a news reporter as he did in the old days because the media system is different now and Grossi isn’t plugged in and doesn’t seem to want to play today’s games. Everything now is broken by a handful of national guys who get stuff leaked to them by their agent buddies.

Grossi's the worst with MKC a close second...add Rizzo to that too. Grossi's like a love scorned school girl...so bitter

Freddie was the right choice, he may be a bit of a hotshot but he would’ve been a hot HC candidate next season anyway. I just hope one of the coordinators they hire is experienced (preferable HC experience) to help smooth the transition

Guess we'll see if Freddie's a flash in the pan but I'm skeptical he is. His offense averaged 6.8+ yards per play. Had he put up those numbers over a full season, that would've been the second highest since 1970. That's historic good. Can't wait to see what he can do with a full offseason.

I've heard some positives on this hire but a ton of people are panning it. Hearing "with the Browns having the most coveted job in the league, two offensive coordinators with minimal experience was the best you could do for finalists?"

I think there's a couple of reasons for this:

1) I've heard that they really wanted to hire McCarthy but he insisted on bringing his own staff and the Browns wanted to retain Kitchens. Heard this about some other coaches too. Kitchens was staying. The fact that Stefanski left Cleveland right after that 2nd interview told me they either brought him back to interview for the OC role or told him Kitchens would be part of his staff. Coaches don't like that crap. McDaniels supposedly bowed out of the GB job because he was going to have Mike Pettine forced on him as the DC.

2) The Baker Mayfield effect. Mayfield hasn't had a history of getting along with some coaches and there's a comfort level with Kitchens. Kitchens did a bang up job as the OC but I wonder how much it matters who the OC is. Mayfield supposedly has this Peyton Manning-like QB savant air to him and will likely be his own OC by the end of the 2019 season. The fact that they let him face time on these interviews tells me that everything this team does, going forward, will have BM in mind.

For those panning the hire, I'd love to hear what they are saying about some of the other hires around the league.

A bunch of no-name coordinators to most NFL followers. I'm fine with the Kitchens hire. There is no sense in messing with the chemistry he has apparently built up with Mayfield.

As for the retreads, wait until the New York media gets a load of Adam Gase's act and wait until Bruce Arians gets a load of Jameis Winston's.

For those panning the hire, I'd love to hear what they are saying about some of the other hires around the league.

A bunch of no-name coordinators to most NFL followers. I'm fine with the Kitchens hire. There is no sense in messing with the chemistry he has apparently built up with Mayfield.

As for the retreads, wait until the New York media gets a load of Adam Gase's act and wait until Bruce Arians gets a load of Jameis Winston's.

TBH, this was not a great time for the Browns to need a new coach. The candidate pool was pretty weak.

TBH, this was not a great time for the Browns to need a new coach. The candidate pool was pretty weak.

Couldn't agree more. As I've said, my preference would have been Arians, but since Dorsey didn't want to separate the Mayfield-Kitchens team, that was a non-starter. Now, it's being rumored that McCarthy was at the top of Dorsey's list, but he wouldn't agree to the Freddie Kitchens shotgun marriage. Given those circumstances, I'd rather have Kitchens over the others, by far. The devil you know.....

It was the right choice as HC. This franchise hinges on Mayfield and those two worked great together. When guys on a staff are interviewed for a HC, the one hwo doesn't get it usually leaves.

Notice that Mike McCarthy has not got a gig this year even though his buddy was a GM for a team looking for a HC; he indicated he will sit out the 2019 season. His offense looks prehistoric in the current NFL landscape and I think he may be done.

On the Browns front the DC hire will be just as big as the Kitchens hire. My guess is Kitchens has no clue how much CEO type responsibilities he has to do and will give over total control of the defense to the right candidate. This might be Dorsey's call too and he may look at a former HC with a defensive background to help with the MGMT needs of Kitchens. I would also think and African-American candidate will be desirable to help in the locker room. Names to consider: Vance Joseph, Todd Bowles, and Steve Wilks. If looking for a promotion guy current Cowboy DB and Legion of Boom coach Kris Richard is a name to consider.

Notice that Mike McCarthy has not got a gig this year even though his buddy was a GM for a team looking for a HC; he indicated he will sit out the 2019 season. His offense looks prehistoric in the current NFL landscape and I think he may be done.

On the Browns front the DC hire will be just as big as the Kitchens hire. My guess is Kitchens has no clue how much CEO type responsibilities he has to do and will give over total control of the defense to the right candidate. This might be Dorsey's call too and he may look at a former HC with a defensive background to help with the MGMT needs of Kitchens. I would also think and African-American candidate will be desirable to help in the locker room. Names to consider: Vance Joseph, Todd Bowles, and Steve Wilks. If looking for a promotion guy current Cowboy DB and Legion of Boom coach Kris Richard is a name to consider.

Bowles went with Arians to TB, didn't he? Have heard Joseph will likely follow Gase to NY. Not sure about Wilks but I'd also consider Chuck Pagano and Jack Del Rio.

Bowles went with Arians to TB, didn't he? Have heard Joseph will likely follow Gase to NY. Not sure about Wilks but I'd also consider Chuck Pagano and Jack Del Rio.

He did.

These names were mentioned to me yesterday AM.