2016 Top Teams/Seniors

Alter had less balance? Feltz was most of Desales team plus Melsop in spurts. Alter has two good middles who have lots of swings, but Vandenbrock has the most. Both Vandenbrock and Feltz were very efficient in the finals. Vandenbrock only had 4 more kills then Feltz in the finals, not a lot.

Here is how I feel about the 2:

Passing: Feltz - in my opinion, he was the best passer in the state
Setting - tie ?
Hitting - I think Vandenbrock is a bit more consistent, but Feltz is right there
Blocking - Both are very excellent at blocking
Defense - Feltz
Serve - Feltz

So if you ask me, who is the more skilled player. I will say Feltz everyday of the week, but there are some kids who just know how to win and that's Vandenbrock. Theres also a huge difference between the 2 that's not on paper. Mental. Feltz is a frickin' headcase while Vandenbrock is calm the whole match. That whole DeSales team is so emotional that when they were up they were very hard to beat, but when they were down - very vulnerable. Alter 2 years in a row were down in the 4th set to LOSE a state championship but because they are so calm under pressure - they took down 2 very good East region teams in a row in 5 sets.

So who would I rather take? Vandenbrock because he can handle pressure and he knows how to win.

P.S. I like the DeSales libero better

Here is how I feel about the 2:

Passing: Feltz - in my opinion, he was the best passer in the state
Setting - tie ?
Hitting - I think Vandenbrock is a bit more consistent, but Feltz is right there
Blocking - Both are very excellent at blocking
Defense - Feltz
Serve - Feltz

So if you ask me, who is the more skilled player. I will say Feltz everyday of the week, but there are some kids who just know how to win and that's Vandenbrock. Theres also a huge difference between the 2 that's not on paper. Mental. Feltz is a frickin' headcase while Vandenbrock is calm the whole match. That whole DeSales team is so emotional that when they were up they were very hard to beat, but when they were down - very vulnerable. Alter 2 years in a row were down in the 4th set to LOSE a state championship but because they are so calm under pressure - they took down 2 very good East region teams in a row in 5 sets.

So who would I rather take? Vandenbrock because he can handle pressure and he knows how to win.

P.S. I like the DeSales libero better

I really like this and agree for the most part. Only thing I think is I would give a slight edge to Vandenbrock in blocking. Feltz gets higher but drifts a little too often, while Vandenbock is shorter and doesn't get as high pushes over and seals well from what I've seen.

I think a lot more players on DeSales would start for Alter than previously mentioned. Feltz, Melsop, the Libero for DeSales could all start. Also DeSales depth seemed to show a bit making subs and having players contribute. The Libero was a better between experience vs heart/scrappiness from what I've heard.

I like the observation on the mental side, which is key in a mistake driven game!

Biggest omission in this sub-thread is coaching.
You have basically a dad vs. 3 time state champion (now 4). And Erford has a history of developing great setters. Won 4 titles with 4 different starting setters now.

The east is going to take a major drop as the Junior class is very weak in that region. The top two Juniors are Dejon Clarke from Pickerington North, and Ian Cowen from Darby. After those two there aren't really to many standout athletes. D2 loses all the talent in the East.

Desales: Loses Melsop and Feltz. Who do they return Trenton Hopson??

St. Charles: Loses Will Eichel and Mark, who do they return???

Mt. Vernon: Loses Levi Rhoades and the rest of their talent, who do they return???

Davidson: Loses everyone but Ross Tomek, who else can be an impact?

Coffman: Loses Joel Sotos, their setter, thier libero, and Matt Freis, but return Jack Weisenbach(6'10") Nick Harder(nice athlete) and Evan Setula(nice athlete). Solid JV team that should plug a setter and libero in nicely.

Gahanna: Loses their only two players Vino Cabiness, and Nathan Matthews.

East Rankings regardless of Division 2016:
1)Darby
2)Coffman
3)Pickerington North - One man show but only two teams can contain him.
4)Davidson - Taking them here purely based on confidence from past success.
5)West. South - Some nice young talent
6)Scioto - Stud Junior outside(Derek Topp)
7)Bradley - Possibly could move up this list.

Darby only team in region that has a chance at another state title.

Coffman? West. South? Are these teams really expected to do very well?:dang: