2016-2017 Spartan Basketball

BigWorm

How have open gyms been going? What type of Summer program are they running? How many leagues are they playing in? I assume the players are developed after a year of Coach Cole's coaching and are ready to compete for a title?

Not so fast my friend. I heard waterloo was getting a couple of ursuline transfers and should be a ton better this season. Last years 2 wins was an anomaly

I hear SHS has been working hard and getting better. They do lose their top scorer from last season I believe. I wouldn't go as far to say they will compete for the league title yet. I think they improve drastically but not over the hump just yet. I wouldn't call Waterloo losing to SHS an anomaly either.. SHS hasn't been strong recently but Waterloo has not been impressive either.. Not trying to knock Waterloo but "an anomaly" is a pretty strong statement for an average program.

Cole should compete for a title this year if he works hard enough this summer.

LOL at this and BigWorm :party:. I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. They don't go from 5-18 under Shaffer to 5-18 under Cole to being anywhere near a league title in one year. Kudos to them for being competitive on JV last year with freshmen and sophomores but SHS is not a quick turnaround kind of place and it never has been. Competing for the league in 3 years would be really impressive, 4-5 years more realistic. 2 years? Craziness hahaha.

I talked to him last weekend at SHS when he was running the concession stand to raise summer funds at the Akron Roundball Classic. Both Summit Elite and Akron teams played in it (Including my cousin's kid if anyone cares lol). I don't think working hard will be a question. They have junior high in open gyms, summer league, and overnight camp at Mount Union according to Cole. JV&Varsity are doing the same thing and Springfield is running a varsity summer league. He said they raised enough money to send JV and Varsity both to team camp at Findlay and go to three shootouts and would've done more, but they only get 10 coaching days.

Again, good for them for building a program and starting back up a youth league, but I'm skeptical when anyone says something will happen there quickly. If they give him enough time to actually build something, I think they got a good guy. I'd expect another building year with sophomores and juniors, but maybe I'll be wrong. That's why they play :thumb:.

sounds like he's doing the right things which is always a positive. But that sounds like excuses and the people want results

I am going to stick with my thoughts that they should compete for the league next year. I actually ran into Cole when I was walking by the fruit section at Wal Mart. He was palming two clementines. One of the clementines was a little swollen, slightly bigger than the other one. I was actually looking for a new lubricant for my squeaky rusty doors when I noticed Cole peering over the bananas. I was not going to bother coach but he started talking (I thought he was talking to me). I stopped and said "What". He used one of the bananas to point to his ear. He was actually talking on his blue tooth. I started walking away then he used the banana to flag me down. He saw that I was wearing a "Black Lives Matter" shirt and wanted to discuss Trump. Side Note: Cole was wearing a #SpartanNation shirt that was awesome. Does anyone know where he got this?

After a political showdown we started to discuss the upcoming prospects in the Springfield system. Cole, that dirty devil, played his cards close to the vest. He actually told me that he thinks they can compete for a district this year. It seemed like he was not even respecting the teams in his league. He said that he thinks they proved in the tournament last year that Warren Harding isnt what they people think they are. They supposedly play in a weak league. I am happy for this young man, he really seems enthused to be leading #SpartanNation back to the Andricky glory hole days. For those who dont remember Cole was on Andricky's staff back when they won the PTC title. Cole was very nice to talk to, he even took the time to use the fog from the freezer doors to show me a set that he came up with. He called it "flex" and said he would flex his bicep to tell the players the play in case the gym was to raucous. This move is ingenious to use a signal to call plays. We actually talked for another 20 minutes or so. I will provide more details when I have some more time later.

I am going to stick with my thoughts that they should compete for the league next year. I actually ran into Cole when I was walking by the fruit section at Wal Mart. He was palming two clementines. One of the clementines was a little swollen, slightly bigger than the other one. I was actually looking for a new lubricant for my squeaky rusty doors when I noticed Cole peering over the bananas. I was not going to bother coach but he started talking (I thought he was talking to me). I stopped and said "What". He used one of the bananas to point to his ear. He was actually talking on his blue tooth. I started walking away then he used the banana to flag me down. He saw that I was wearing a "Black Lives Matter" shirt and wanted to discuss Trump. Side Note: Cole was wearing a #SpartanNation shirt that was awesome. Does anyone know where he got this?

After a political showdown we started to discuss the upcoming prospects in the Springfield system. Cole, that dirty devil, played his cards close to the vest. He actually told me that he thinks they can compete for a district this year. It seemed like he was not even respecting the teams in his league. He said that he thinks they proved in the tournament last year that Warren Harding isnt what they people think they are. They supposedly play in a weak league. I am happy for this young man, he really seems enthused to be leading #SpartanNation back to the Andricky glory hole days. For those who dont remember Cole was on Andricky's staff back when they won the PTC title. Cole was very nice to talk to, he even took the time to use the fog from the freezer doors to show me a set that he came up with. He called it "flex" and said he would flex his bicep to tell the players the play in case the gym was to raucous. This move is ingenious to use a signal to call plays. We actually talked for another 20 minutes or so. I will provide more details when I have some more time later.

^ This is awesome :clap:.

Any other tricks up his sleeve? If like to hear all about these sets and his coaching philosophy too.

You are clearly a coach at one of Cole's rival schools. I would recommend my fellow yappsters to not give out any more of his sets to these lurches. :dang::dang:

No lurch just curious. Me nephew plays for waterloo and he has been telling how great they have looked during their 4 man workouts and open gyms. :shrug::confused:

No lurch just curious. Me nephew plays for waterloo and he has been telling how great they have looked during their 4 man workouts and open gyms. :shrug::confused:

They were joking with you. They don't really think you're trying to steal the concept "flex". It's been around like 100 years :). If I see my neighbor out and about this weekend I'll ask for you. He was a middle school coach last year.

If Cole can turn it around in year 2 maybe Vaughn can turn it around in football in year 9?
Vaughn does have a slightly better win percentage (his 24-56 vs. Cole's 5-18) so I'll give Vaughn the edge.
The Spartans can win 10-12 bball games next season

If Cole can turn it around in year 2 maybe Vaughn can turn it around in football in year 9?
Vaughn does have a slightly better win percentage (his 24-56 vs. Cole's 5-18) so I'll give Vaughn the edge.
The Spartans can win 10-12 bball games next season

Finally some positive juice:shrug::)

This is easily the best roster Springfield has had since 2001. There should be no problem with this team and I would be shocked if they were not playing deep into February/March

BigWorm you are way off.. SHS won the PTC in 06 and 07. And were runners up to Norton and Kent 09 and 10. I've seen all 4 of those teams in action. Cole's team is nowhere near that. The PTC was stronger in basketball back then too. Sometimes your statements are mind boggling LOL. No need to give unrealistic expectations to Cole and his staff. They will be better no doubt, but best roster since 2001? I think you've officially lost it

BigWorm you are way off.. SHS won the PTC in 06 and 07. And were runners up to Norton and Kent 09 and 10. I've seen all 4 of those teams in action. Cole's team is nowhere near that. The PTC was stronger in basketball back then too. Sometimes your statements are mind boggling LOL. No need to give unrealistic expectations to Cole and his staff. They will be better no doubt, but best roster since 2001? I think you've officially lost it

Bulldog I'll agree with all of this except that the PTC was stronger then. This was the best year the PTC has ever had. Norton was good, Coventry sent kids to college sports, Streetsboro was good with Bowling Green recruit Jerry Judd (football, but still), and Woodridge was loaded. Even perennial struggler Field had some nice games and a few good players. Springfield has been a basketball joke for a decade, so I completely agree with your comment about expectations. The fact that people seem to actually care again out there is a promising sign.

I don't think anyone who knew what this staff was walking into expected them to become a contender in one year. I saw them three times last year and they were better each time I saw them, just a long way to go. Going to take a while, but if they quit losing kids, and manage to keep some around, they can be good. I liked what I saw in the fourth quarter with their JVs. That's what happened when we got Fisher at Ellet. The first couple years were the usual challenge, but we quit losing kids and built a program, and now we're reaping the benefits. Don't take the worm too seriously in this forum; I always tell myself that I won't let BigWorm suck me in over local sports, but he gets me at least five times a year with a good trolling maneuver, LOL.

I'll give you Coventry.. They were the best team I've seen in the PTC since Pollk and Bryant from Kent. But Norton was not as good as in years past I don't believe. Woodridge didn't play them then but I saw highlights and got the papers. They were pretty solid. This year they had no standouts, decent shooters and somewhat smart. But yes I'm excited to see what Woodbridge can do this year they have a lot of promise. Also excited to get Judd out LOL

I'll give you Coventry.. They were the best team I've seen in the PTC since Pollk and Bryant from Kent. But Norton was not as good as in years past I don't believe. Woodridge didn't play them then but I saw highlights and got the papers. They were pretty solid. This year they had no standouts, decent shooters and somewhat smart. But yes I'm excited to see what Woodbridge can do this year they have a lot of promise. Also excited to get Judd out LOL

I saw some of the teams, but I had to use box scores a lot because I catch a lot of Ellet games, so you may have a better grip of it than me. It just seemed that PTC teams were beating teams from Akron and Suburban leagues a lot more than usual this year. Judd seems like one of those guys who have been playing forever. Was he a four-year varsity guy in two sports?

You are absolutely right, the league is way watered down and nowhere near what it used to be.:thumb:

Worm what's your honest opinion about City Series right now? Don't tell me the Orangemen are only winning bc the city is no good, lol.

There are a few good teams. The best team in PTC would be probably 4th in the city. Most years that team would be lower though. Ellet didnt make the championship last year.

There are a few good teams. The best team in PTC would be probably 4th in the city. Most years that team would be lower though. Ellet didnt make the championship last year.

That sounds about right. Not a knock against the basketball in PTC. There is some good basketball being played, but the speed and athleticism in the top half of Akron City is just a horrific matchup for almost every team in the PTC. Nope we didn't play well enough, especially on defense. Pure and simple.