2015 Season

rjones

UA will begin its defense of the state crown with a road trip east at the end of the month. Who do people see as a challenger to the Bears this year?

Stark County Lacrosse

Hoover's out to a strong 5-0 start this year... We'll know more about them in the next two weeks with games vs University School, St Iggy, & Kent. Obviously the real test will come on 4/28 vs Hudson. Sure would be fun to see them make a run in the post season this year.

Lot of teams are going to be surprised playing Louisville this year thinking they are playing a regular first year program only to get whacked by one of the best club level teams in the state. They are the re-formed St. Thomas Aquinas team who's been to the final four the last three or four years. They have to be one of the favorites in the Club division this year.

Between Hoover & Jackson in Div 1 and Louisville in the Club division, and Lake and now GlenOak starting a program, Stark County Lacrosse is growing and getting better.

Hoover's out to a strong 5-0 start this year... We'll know more about them in the next two weeks with games vs University School, St Iggy, & Kent. Obviously the real test will come on 4/28 vs Hudson. Sure would be fun to see them make a run in the post season this year.

Lot of teams are going to be surprised playing Louisville this year thinking they are playing a regular first year program only to get whacked by one of the best club level teams in the state. They are the re-formed St. Thomas Aquinas team who's been to the final four the last three or four years. They have to be one of the favorites in the Club division this year.

Between Hoover & Jackson in Div 1 and Louisville in the Club division, and Lake and now GlenOak starting a program, Stark County Lacrosse is growing and getting better.

With the 5 suburban publics, Central Catholic and Aquinas and you have 7 boys lax teams in Stark. Pretty much exactly the schools that I thought would field the sport in Stark Co a few years ago, too when GlenOak and Louisville added the sport this year. Those two schools adding lacrosse seemed pretty predictable. Would be nice if they all scheduled each other in a few years and crowned a de-facto Stark lacrosse champion.

So who in Stark adds next, or will the growth stall?

With the 5 suburban publics, Central Catholic and Aquinas and you have 7 boys lax teams in Stark. Pretty much exactly the schools that I thought would field the sport in Stark Co a few years ago, too when GlenOak and Louisville added the sport this year. Those two schools adding lacrosse seemed pretty predictable. Would be nice if they all scheduled each other in a few years and crowned a de-facto Stark lacrosse champion.

So who in Stark adds next, or will the growth stall?

I will be interested to see who steps in next. Perry being the last "big school" without a team would be my guess, but with Mount Union building both a Men's and Women's program, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Mount Grad get a program started in either Alliance or Marlington.

As for all the Stark Schools playing each other, I think it'll be a while before any of them catch Hoover & Jackson. Lousiville is the closest to being able to compete right now. Lake & from what I've seen of GlenOak and Central Catholic, are all still a step behind.

I will be interested to see who steps in next. Perry being the last "big school" without a team would be my guess, but with Mount Union building both a Men's and Women's program, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Mount Grad get a program started in either Alliance or Marlington.

As for all the Stark Schools playing each other, I think it'll be a while before any of them catch Hoover & Jackson. Lousiville is the closest to being able to compete right now. Lake & from what I've seen of GlenOak and Central Catholic, are all still a step behind.

McKinley and Massillon are the other big schools besides Perry without a team. Lacrosse does seem to be spreading beyond the white-collar suburbs and exurbs. Still, I'd be a bit surprised to see Alliance or Marlington with a team, but the proximity to Mt. Union could be the necessary catalyst.

Hoover and Jackson have a leg up, but Louisville already seems to have secured that third spot ahead of Lake, Central Catholic and GlenOak. So many of those kids were on the St. Thomas Aquinas squad that has done so well the past couple of years. I wouldn't be shocked to see Louisville compete well vs. Hoover and Jackson in the next few years.

Well, it looks like we may have our answer on Hoover..that was a rough one last night vs Ignatius (15-2). I do think that Hoover is an up and coming program...very strong down through the middle school/grade school levels, the HS team just doesn't have 10+ studs to put on the field yet that can hang with the Hudsons, Solons and Iggys (and I know...they beat Ignatius last year in the playoffs.)

I don't know that it's intentional, but they seem to have a knack for starting out the season playing a bunch of lesser talented teams, which gets them off to a great record out of the gate, big individual stats, a high laxpower ranking and gets everyone talking about them...then this part of the scheudle happens

McKinley and Massillon are the other big schools besides Perry without a team. Lacrosse does seem to be spreading beyond the white-collar suburbs and exurbs. Still, I'd be a bit surprised to see Alliance or Marlington with a team, but the proximity to Mt. Union could be the necessary catalyst.

Hoover and Jackson have a leg up, but Louisville already seems to have secured that third spot ahead of Lake, Central Catholic and GlenOak. So many of those kids were on the St. Thomas Aquinas squad that has done so well the past couple of years. I wouldn't be shocked to see Louisville compete well vs. Hoover and Jackson in the next few years.

Just heard last night that there a couple people working to get a Mckinley program up an running as soon as next spring. They get the right coach that can convince those kids to commit to learning the skills of the game, they would jump right to the top of the list just because of the talent pool they can pull from.

Louisville is starting to convince me that they are ready right now with their blowout of Cardinal Mooney and then beating Wooster handily. Would really like to see them match up against Hoover or Jackson just to see how they'd fare. Can't see that happening though as neither Hoover or Jackson would gain much playing a club level team, especially if they get beat. ;)

Sorry Mojo...but there are light years between the talent at club lacrosse...D2lacrosse...lower level D1 lacrosse and then the Hoovers/Jacksons of the Ohio lacrosse world...victories over Mooney and Wooster should not get you excited..I would imagine that Hoover would win by at least 20

Here's Laxpower's top10

1. Hudson 8- 0- 0
2. St Xavier 7- 2- 0
3. St Ignatius 6- 2- 0
4. Solon 7- 1- 0
5. Kilbourne 7- 2- 0
6. Olentangy Liberty 9- 2- 0
7. Upper Arlington 5- 3- 0
8. Delaware Hayes 6- 0- 0
9. Hilliard Darby 8- 1- 0
10. Columbus DeSales 9- 1- 0

At this point the Northeast looks very strong. It's been awhile since the top 5 were not mostly Central Ohio teams. Should make for an interesting tournament with other districts being competitive for the title.

Sorry Mojo...but there are light years between the talent at club lacrosse...D2lacrosse...lower level D1 lacrosse and then the Hoovers/Jacksons of the Ohio lacrosse world...victories over Mooney and Wooster should not get you excited..I would imagine that Hoover would win by at least 20

Louisville plays Jackson on May 1st and Hoover on May 11th.

I had wondered the same earlier this Spring and found nothing that shows the reason why they aren't competing this year.

From what I've heard, St. Thomas' coach was a Louisville guy that tried to get Louisville to start a program back in the day. Louisville wasn't interested, so he approached St. Thomas and they agreed to start a club team. That team was a mix of mostly Louisville and STA kids. Recently Louisville had a change of heart and asked the coach to come back and get their program established before OHSAA sanctioning. He agreed and all the Louisville kids went with him. STA tried to keep their program up and running, but ran into a numbers problem and decided to lay low this year. Not sure if those STA kids ended up playing for Louisville or not?