(2-3) Miami East at (4-1) Milton-Union. TRC week 6

Bless Em All

Milton is coming in from a three week away schedule in which they lost one (Oakwood) and then two TRC wins.
Miami East is reeling from a close game with 0-4 Lehman Catholic.
Will the Bulldogs gain the running clock on the young and inexperienced Vikings?

CalPreps has this one: Milton 48, East 12. I have this one Milton 51, East 7

Last edited:

Good timing to allow some further rest. That TC game was a bit physical. They need there RB1 and RB2 back so maybe another game to heal them up.

Good timing to allow some further rest. That TC game was a bit physical. They need there RB1 and RB2 back so maybe another game to heal them up.
Yeah I see those two coming back soon provided they weren't serious injuries. Milton doesn't like to release that info.
We will need them vs Ridge and Riverside. Playoffs will be interesting seeing who we draw. I see MU landing at#6-7 if they finish 9-1.

Yeah I see those two coming back soon provided they weren't serious injuries. Milton doesn't like to release that info.
We will need them vs Ridge and Riverside. Playoffs will be interesting seeing who we draw. I see MU landing at#6-7 if they finish 9-1.
Some times when studs get injuried if it is not serious it can hardened that depth. Now rb3 and rb4 can have confident to step in and get some guys rest. Since most of our studs go both ways, that can be critical come playoff time. Even just one or two snaps a half.

How many games in the playoffs untill MU hits a juggernaut?

Likely 1. Top are pretty rough. Eaton, Clinton Massie, Wyoming and McNicholas, Waverly. I believe seeds 9-16 play round 1 and then the winners play seeds 1-8.

Last edited:
Likely 1. Top are pretty rough. Eaton, Clinton Massie, Wyoming and McNicholas, Waverly. I believe seeds 9-16 play round 1 and then the winners play seeds 1-8.
Don't think that's how it works. #1 will play #16, #2 will play #15, #3 will play #14 and so on. OHSAA website says that seeds 1-8 will host first round games. Bottom line is if MU ends up the 8 or 9 seed you are correct, they will most likely see the #1 seed in round 2 unless there is a major upset.

From the press release in April

NEWS RELEASE – Ohio High School Athletic Association
Executive Director Doug Ute

www.OHSAA.org | twitter.com/OHSAASports | facebook.com/OHSAAsports

For Immediate Release – April 22, 2021
OHSAA Contact –
Tim Stried, Director of Media Relations, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA to Expand Football Playoffs and Adjust Regional Format
Top 16 schools in each region will qualify for playoffs and higher seeded teams will host first and second round games; OHSAA exploring strength of schedule component beginning in 2022

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors approved the 2021 football tournament regulations Thursday during its April Board meeting that included proposals from the OHSAA staff to increase the number of playoff qualifiers and change the format of the regional playoffs.

The number of playoff qualifiers will expand to 16 schools per region. In addition, the higher seeded team will host first and second round playoff games, instead of only the first round, before neutral sites are used beginning with the regional semifinals. In the first round, the No. 16 seed will play at the No. 1 seed, the No. 15 seed will play at the No. 2 seed, etc.

I think last year with 12 teams you needed the first round bye to make the brackets work ( A much better idea)

This year with 16 byes are not needed. The 1vs 16 are going to be awfull

From the press release in April

NEWS RELEASE – Ohio High School Athletic Association
Executive Director Doug Ute

www.OHSAA.org | twitter.com/OHSAASports | facebook.com/OHSAAsports

For Immediate Release – April 22, 2021
OHSAA Contact –
Tim Stried, Director of Media Relations, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA to Expand Football Playoffs and Adjust Regional Format
Top 16 schools in each region will qualify for playoffs and higher seeded teams will host first and second round games; OHSAA exploring strength of schedule component beginning in 2022

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors approved the 2021 football tournament regulations Thursday during its April Board meeting that included proposals from the OHSAA staff to increase the number of playoff qualifiers and change the format of the regional playoffs.

The number of playoff qualifiers will expand to 16 schools per region. In addition, the higher seeded team will host first and second round playoff games, instead of only the first round, before neutral sites are used beginning with the regional semifinals. In the first round, the No. 16 seed will play at the No. 1 seed, the No. 15 seed will play at the No. 2 seed, etc.
This obviously makes the most sense. I've had many people thinking there would be byes, but if you have a perfectly setup bracket, as you will with 16 teams, it makes the most sense to break it down this way. I also don't think many coaches want to sit a week on a bye. You can get healthy, but you can also lose the rhythm built throughout the season. I think we'll probably see some really ugly scores with these matchups, but that's what you get with letting 16 teams in the field.

This obviously makes the most sense. I've had many people thinking there would be byes, but if you have a perfectly setup bracket, as you will with 16 teams, it makes the most sense to break it down this way. I also don't think many coaches want to sit a week on a bye. You can get healthy, but you can also lose the rhythm built throughout the season. I think we'll probably see some really ugly scores with these matchups, but that's what you get with letting 16 teams in the field.
Think for a moment in the lower divisions. Miami Valley Christian Academy is currently sitting 16th in region 28. So they should face Marion Local if season ended today. They lost to a very bad Clermont Northeastern team 14-0. Batavia handled Clermont rather easily.

My point is this, if you are the coach of a top 4 team, do you play your first string vs these weaker opponents or have your varsity play your scout team Saturday morning? Some of these teams get much better competition vs their second string than they would vs the varsity of the weakest teams to qualify.

I like how a strength of schedule component may be added in 2022. All those years MAC teams that could likely have reached regional or beyond were kept away while weak conference champions bowed out first round.

#16 vs #1 is very, very bad. So let's look at Region 16...
Waynesville vs Eaton. That might be a decent game.
Region 20.
Greenon vs Mariemont. Blow out.

Personally, I think you prepare your team just like you would any other game. Go through the normal weekly schedule, prepare them to play, but also get the starters out of the game as quickly as they can. The #16 vs. #1 and other low seed vs. high seed games may not be very competitive. Honestly, the teams the caliber of Marion Local would beat the #8 seed similarly each season as well. I just don't think sitting for a week is great either. You might stay healthier, but you can also lose some rhythm, etc.

What will be interesting is the few breakthrough teams that we see in the 16 seed system. You'll have a team like last year's Mentor Lake Catholic that actually was the state runner up, but probably wouldn't have been a playoff team in past seasons. Or those lower seeded MAC schools that will win games similar to last season. We'll see a few of those teams as well. In the end, I don't lose too much sleep over it. The best teams will still win whether they play an extra playoff game or not.

Personally, I think you prepare your team just like you would any other game. Go through the normal weekly schedule, prepare them to play, but also get the starters out of the game as quickly as they can. The #16 vs. #1 and other low seed vs. high seed games may not be very competitive. Honestly, the teams the caliber of Marion Local would beat the #8 seed similarly each season as well. I just don't think sitting for a week is great either. You might stay healthier, but you can also lose some rhythm, etc.

What will be interesting is the few breakthrough teams that we see in the 16 seed system. You'll have a team like last year's Mentor Lake Catholic that actually was the state runner up, but probably wouldn't have been a playoff team in past seasons. Or those lower seeded MAC schools that will win games similar to last season. We'll see a few of those teams as well. In the end, I don't lose too much sleep over it. The best teams will still win whether they play an extra playoff game or not.
What do you think about adding a strength of schedule component to the qualifying process and not just Harbins?

I wonder how they would implement a SOS?
I've heard a couple different ideas. One is to use a power rankings computer system such as Max Preps does or Drew P's site. The other is easier but to me seems redundant and still does not truly play to strength of schedule. The second idea is to give more "bonus points" to teams who score higher on second level points in the Harbins. Say if team A averages 8.4 at the end of the season and team B averages 8.2 but team A's opponets only won 30 games (10 opponets average record of 3-7) but team B's opponents won 60 games (10 opponents average record of 6-4). If you gave out 0.01 bonus points for each second level victory of your opponent, team A would then recieve 8.4 + its SOS bonus of .3 making it a final average of 8.7.

Team B would recieve it's 8.2 plus its SOS bonus of .6 making its final average 8.8 and passing team A in the qualifying rankings.

I hope the 2nd method is not used as I much prefer if we go down the SOS qualifier true computer power rankings , taking game scores into the equation, becomes the SOS portion.

I've heard a couple different ideas. One is to use a power rankings computer system such as Max Preps does or Drew P's site. The other is easier but to me seems redundant and still does not truly play to strength of schedule. The second idea is to give more "bonus points" to teams who score higher on second level points in the Harbins. Say if team A averages 8.4 at the end of the season and team B averages 8.2 but team A's opponets only won 30 games (10 opponets average record of 3-7) but team B's opponents won 60 games (10 opponents average record of 6-4). If you gave out 0.01 bonus points for each second level victory of your opponent, team A would then recieve 8.4 + its SOS bonus of .3 making it a final average of 8.7.

Team B would recieve it's 8.2 plus its SOS bonus of .6 making its final average 8.8 and passing team A in the qualifying rankings.

I hope the 2nd method is not used as I much prefer if we go down the SOS qualifier true computer power rankings , taking game scores into the equation, becomes the SOS portion.
Yeah, it would be difficult to find the right system. In many ways, the entire Harbin System is built to show SOS. It's built on your wins, how big the school was you beat, and then how well that team you beat performs on the season. It's sort of already a Strength of Schedule System.

Where is 23 for the Bulldogs? Bulldogs completely dominate. 24 for East had some real attitude, good or bad I am not sure but he played with it.