“Athletic Period” During School Day

Oldleatherhead

Know it is common in TX and maybe FL as well as out west but curious if any OH HSs have an athletic period built in to there school day or school schedule . Anyone know of any? i would be interested to know if there is any connection between the period (I think it is mostly used for weight lifting but I guess some athletic instruction / film/ practice could be used)

apprciate any thoughts shared. !

Know it is common in TX and maybe FL as well as out west but curious if any OH HSs have an athletic period built in to there school day or school schedule . Anyone know of any? i would be interested to know if there is any connection between the period (I think it is mostly used for weight lifting but I guess some athletic instruction / film/ practice could be used)

apprciate any thoughts shared. !
Most schools have a weight lifting class.

Not Ohio but my school in South Carolina offers a PE course titled "Team Sports".

The Team Sports class at my school is assigned to a PE teacher who serves as the teacher of record BUT the coach of that team / sport has to sacrifice their planning block to "co-teach" the class.

The sports that annually have a class are Football, Baseball, Boys Basketball and Girls Basketball.

In order for the class to exist, at least 10 students need to be signed up for it. So while not every athlete on that team is in the class they do get enough team members to sign up for it. My school's enrollment is a tick over 2,100 kids so it's not tragically difficult to get enough kids signed up.

We are on a 4x4 block schedule where classes are 90 minutes long for 90 days.

Chardon did years ago. I am not sure if they still do.

Where we live now in Alabama, we have block scheduling. 4 blocks per day for each 9 weeks. Each class is two 9 weeks , so new classes every semester. My son has classes block 1, 2, 3 and wrestling 4th block. Football does block 1 and classes 2, 3 and 4. Next year my 8th grader will be HS and he plays both, so he will do football block 1 for first semester and then wrestling 4th block second semester. After school practice for the last part of first semester after football ends.

I used to leave class in the middle of the school day (and not return) to dry the courts or clear the snow/ice off the courts and dry them. Also would occasionally help with other sports, such as getting the baseball diamond ready.

This May sound controversial to some who think Ohio is Florida when it comes to football, but most of if not all HS around Ohio lift most if not all the year. Ohio also has numerous camp days for football EVEN BEFORE two a days that Florida etc do not have. I have a friend who teaches in the south for football and has spring practice and they actually have LESS days than Ohio high schools have for official practices from January 1 to the first game of the year. Mind you they also complain about spring football because it is just a scheme thing and not much is learned skill wise but they do it “because everyone else does it” type of thing.

true was askingg more in terms of periods dedicated to specific athletes from a single team like football all has same weight lifting period
In my experience no, but usually athletes could use the "general" weight lifting class and bring their lifting plan from a specific sport to the teacher and have that be their own personal curriculum. Some PA High Schools have sport specific classes.

My school has a built in last period Athletic development class. The course helps us become faster and stronger and we don't have to lift outside of school. Only requirement is to stay after school about 30-35 extra minutes plus the last period so we can get a full lift in.

If you play a sport at a lot of schools you get gym credits.
IMO in a perfect world this would be the case across the board. I find it silly that kids who play interscholastic sports also have to take PE when they probably get far more out of the sport they play than they do on any given day in the PE class.

In the MAC, we have these revolutionary school concepts. Academic classes.
1712890678739.png

Aerobic Walking at Marion Local does sound interesting.

The football class is more common in southern states where unions have zero power. Up north, its tougher to have these because other teachers feel the coaches are double dipping and getting paid a supplement to coach team during school hours. Its much better for the players because they lift at school and dont have to stay after so they can work and get home early during off season.

A lot of schools in my area still have issues with year round lifting for football and or lifting as a class.

If you don’t believe me just check the whiny parents of said schools annually on Facebook.

I still can’t fathom wanting your kid playing a contact sports but complaining about a year round training/lifting to prepare for it.

Literally the dumbest parents on earth.

My kids' school has a lifting class specifically for athletes (most take it but not all). If it's a gameday, they'll do something else; either injury prevention type things or leadership training. They get PE credit or elective credit if their PE has been fulfilled.

The class is called recess.

Jeez - how many times are those with a piece of paper in their hand claiming they are smarter than us gonna reinvent the wheel???
It's worked pretty good for 3000 plus years

Don't really see a problem with a school doing something that might get kids off their ever-expanding backsides.

Nor do I see a problem with bringing back shop and music classes.

A lot of schools in my area still have issues with year round lifting for football and or lifting as a class.

If you don’t believe me just check the whiny parents of said schools annually on Facebook.

I still can’t fathom wanting your kid playing a contact sports but complaining about a year round training/lifting to prepare for it.

Literally the dumbest parents on earth.
I general I do think it is stupid to complain about the year round lifting schedule. However, when you start getting coaches who treat off season lifting like in season practice it can be a problem. Off season lifting does not need to be 7 days a week or require you to never miss one.

The class is called recess.

Jeez - how many times are those with a piece of paper in their hand claiming they are smarter than us gonna reinvent the wheel???
It's worked pretty good for 3000 plus years
Never got a grade for recess. Besides recess stops in high school.

I had a free period between lunch and gym(9th and 11th grade year) so I worked out during lunch and right up until gym. Senior year I was done by 1, so I worked out before practice.