Search results

1. U

Ask The Ump?

With the elbow pads making their way down to the younger levels, you see more and more kids standing in and having the ball hit them. If a batter's whole body is in the box and a pitch comes in high inside and the batter doesn't move and gets hit in the elbow. You hear a lot of "He has to try to...
  2. U

Ask The Ump?

Batter tries to drop down a quick bunt. His foot is clearly out of the box when the bunt occurs. What's the mechanic and rule? Part 2 to this, the batters foot is half out of the box with the heel on the white line. What's the mechanic and ruling on this?
  3. U

Ask The Ump?

Watching the Guardians yesterday and Bibee was doing exactly what I described and probably why younger players and coaches see this and think it's ok at the HS level. Got me thinking as to why there are different rules (at different levels) for things that should be fundamental to the game like...
  4. U

Ask The Ump?

We have a RHP. He has his right foot parallel to the pitching rubber in front and touching it. He looks like he is in the set position. He then proceeds to step back a little with his left foot and basically is doing a windup pitch. What's the ruling?
  5. U

Ask The Ump?

Best way to deal with a player who is getting frustrated (For whatever reason) and starts to complain? At what point is enough enough? Talk to player first then coach?
  6. U

Ask The Ump?

Follow up to my game Saturday where I took a good shot to the head. One of the Head Coaches sent me a nice text this morning checking in and seeing how I was doing. Classy move and thinking about the big picture.
  7. U

Ask The Ump?

Gets me thinking about roles reversed as I've never been on the other end of this situation. If my plate partner gets plunked and there are runners on, he's obviously out of it. As the BU, hustle to get the best look at a potential play at any base? I'm thinking that's what I should do. Go it...
  8. U

Ask The Ump?

I didn't ask him that directly. I remember him just saying he said it looked like a tip and he killed it. I wasn't feeling very well and just wanted to get home and rest.
  9. U

Ask The Ump?

Thanks. I felt bad about it when talking to the coach in terms of I can't guess what happened. He was frustrated but respectful of my situation. My partner made the call and I was in no place to say it didn't happen. I haven't had one to the head like that as an umpire. I was in the slot and...
  10. U

Ask The Ump?

Want to share a situation to see if it was handled correctly. I had the plate. On this play, all i recall was the ball coming in high, batter squaring to bunt and the catchers glove coming up. Next thing the ball hits the top of half of my mask and gets peeled off. I stumble a little to the...
  11. U

Ask The Ump?

Last tattoo commentary from me. ;) I have a degree in Mathematics. I have a math inspired tattoo on the inside of my lower left arm. A catcher noticed it early in the game and he had just taken the AP Calc Exam in May. We ended up talking about math and other things between innings as we...
  12. U

Ask The Ump?

I am being serious. I like the response from Coach H. I have them and I never judged when I was coaching. Now since I've been umpiring, my lower left arm has become pretty covered (Appropriate Tattoos).. There are some people who do judge those with them. The stigma is gone for many.. Just a...
  13. U

Ask The Ump?

Are there any umpires, coaches or associations that might have a negative perception of an umpire who has tattoos? There are variables of how much ink, location and type.
  14. U

Michigan vs Alabama

:rolleyes:
  15. U

Ask The Ump?

Mechanic Question (2-man) Runner at 2nd and a base hit up the middle. As the PU, they should be watching the touch of 3rd by the runner from 2nd and possible obstruction by the 3rd baseman. CF comes up and tries to throw runner out at home. Ball sails over the close backstop. How do we see if...
  16. U

Ask The Ump?

I've noticed with more turf fields used for Summer tournaments, players sliding into bases are sliding a little past them at times and really having to stretch to stay on them. What is the rule when a defender holds the tag on and appears to push the hand off the base just enough to try and get...
  17. U

Final Scores (6/1)

Edison - 6 Wayne Trace - 1
  18. U

Ask The Ump?

Thank you! That's very helpful. I've heard the "less is more" and good to see it again. I appreciate the concise language. Takes practice, but it sounds good.
  19. U

Ask The Ump?

NFHS
  20. U

Ask The Ump?

When you have a collision such that a throw to second takes the SS into the runner getting ready to slide and it's what we refer to as the "Train Wreck" sometimes. The SS catches the ball and makes the tag as they get tangled up and hangs onto the ball. When a coach believes his runner was...