Cincinnati Job Openings

If You think Seton is Loaded you feeling alright? Been drinking heavily? Lack of Talent at Seton and Mariemont Boys a Real possibility here?
Seton has 9 returning varsity players. Check their stats. Better yet, go watch them play. Eight of the nine are training and playing AAU now and those 8 don't play volleyball or soccer so they can train in the fall. I'll buy the beer if you don't agree by next February.

Seton has 9 returning varsity players. Check their stats. Better yet, go watch them play. Eight of the nine are training and playing AAU now and those 8 don't play volleyball or soccer so they can train in the fall. I'll buy the beer if you don't agree by next February.
AAU is great for playing times but often times AAU is just playing a tournament of 6 games(if teams win) with practicing 1 or 2(max) days a week. Players now a days have gotten away from more fundamentals/coordination prep because they wont do it on their own. Call me an old head if you want but I hope with Setons returning size and length they work on these things for their game. I only watched them play 3 times in the last 2 years and only once in 23-24'. I am not from that part of Cincy either so I could be wrong and they've already developed since January. Hope they want to put in the time and effort that lacks from high school players in general now.

WOW – how quickly this thread has gone sideways but I’ll add to it I guess 😊

Hoping Seton gets the right coach for the school, program/players & managing the parent’s expectations!

But….if Seton’s schedule is extremely weak again next year and the OHSAA referendum passes and they elect to stay in D2 “to make a deep run” in the tournament ending up with a winning record, please don’t come on the Board and say we told you so! Only one way to prove how “loaded” you are and that is to continually play the best competition out there and not teams that are close to the cellar of their respective conference.

I would venture a guess that Seton will announce their choice today. Maybe a little end of school on Friday basketball meeting to introduce the new coach. If my guess is correct, I would say that rules out the JV coach who teaches in the building. Might have taken so long as they were trying to get a job in the building or at Elder. If they were picking the JV coach, you would have already done that and could meet at any time.

Someone earlier mentioned that Morrison may have been going to the parents during the season and feeding them information. This could be true. But do you know that the freshman coach had a daughter on the varsity team? If a coach was feeding parents information, I would start with the person who is both a parent and a coach. I admit that I am not close to this situation and that it could have been either, both, or neither of them feeding the parents information. I try to look at things reasonably and the parent/coach answer is pretty easy to get to with the info provided.

Glad to Mason finally post. Who is the other person other than Gideon?

Any news at Lakota West? Fenwick? Roger Bacon?

I have a feeling this is what's keeping Morrison from getting the job. If he would have gotten through the year without doing everything he could to put pressure on the head coach through parents he would probably have the job.
That is a pretty big accusation... I know he genuinely cared for the girls and did a lot of things to grow the program... more than the previous coaches. Between the things posted on his twitter, Seton's basketball twitter, and following along the program/talking to people, he was in it for the right reasons IMO. I'm sure some of these parents on here can confirm there were a lot of issues internally going on and point out examples of the good things he did for the girls.

I could see where some would say he (possibly) got tied up in the mess and being a young coach, he could have gotten stuck in the middle between the debacle of parents, players, and staff. If so, learn the lesson and grow in the profession and as a coach. I would say Morrison is young/ambitious, but he is also the most dedicated, hard working, and gifted young coaches up and coming.

Playing AAU isn't what it used to be. If you have a pulse, some AAU program will take your money and put you on a team. You might even win a "World Championship"!

People complaining about "way too much conversation on Seton" but no one else has anything to bring to the posting board... nobody on here going to talk about how the Lakota West parents pushed Fishman out for garbage at the end of the season by running to the AD?
Kind of surprised this hasn't been talked about more.

Everyone that I talked to agreed that he was not looking to retire this year from coaching. After his season ended he was in full summerball planning mode. Then, the parents went to complain to the AD and I'm sure they threatened to transfer if a coaching change wasn't made.

Say what you want about Fishman, but to force a guy out after 30-something years of teaching/coaching because a few sophomore parents complained seems a little low to me.

I would venture a guess that Seton will announce their choice today. Maybe a little end of school on Friday basketball meeting to introduce the new coach. If my guess is correct, I would say that rules out the JV coach who teaches in the building. Might have taken so long as they were trying to get a job in the building or at Elder. If they were picking the JV coach, you would have already done that and could meet at any time.

Someone earlier mentioned that Morrison may have been going to the parents during the season and feeding them information. This could be true. But do you know that the freshman coach had a daughter on the varsity team? If a coach was feeding parents information, I would start with the person who is both a parent and a coach. I admit that I am not close to this situation and that it could have been either, both, or neither of them feeding the parents information. I try to look at things reasonably and the parent/coach answer is pretty easy to get to with the info provided.

You also had multiple recent alumnae as part time help on staff and a varsity assistant who has had daughters play at Seton and another one coming in next school year... It could have been someone internally feeding or just others making general observations...

That is a pretty big accusation... I know he genuinely cared for the girls and did a lot of things to grow the program... more than the previous coaches. Between the things posted on his twitter, Seton's basketball twitter, and following along the program/talking to people, he was in it for the right reasons IMO. I'm sure some of these parents on here can confirm there were a lot of issues internally going on and point out examples of the good things he did for the girls.

I could see where some would say he (possibly) got tied up in the mess and being a young coach, he could have gotten stuck in the middle between the debacle of parents, players, and staff. If so, learn the lesson and grow in the profession and as a coach. I would say Morrison is young/ambitious, but he is also the most dedicated, hard working, and gifted young coaches up and coming.
Just a thought, but I don't really know...

Perhaps Seton is hesitant to give the job to a relatively inexperienced coach? If I recall correctly, Morrison was their Freshman coach just two years ago. That's a quick rise from Freshman coach to Varsity coach in just a couple years. And considering the AD has already hired a few basketball coaches in a short period of time, maybe they are inclined to go with a more experienced hire?

All that being said, I also kept hearing Caldwell was getting the job so, what do I know?

Looks like my earlier prediction was wrong. Seton did not name a coach this afternoon.

They wrapped up second interviews last Tuesday or Wednesday. By next Monday we will be 12-13 days removed from the end of second interviews being completed. This would now say they have offered one or two people and could not work out the details. Could we see them open the job back up and ask for applicants again?

I don’t know how you say this is not an AD problem. If your first choices all said no, you had a fall back option in the building. The AD has promoted JV coaches before, sometimes without even opening the job up. If I was Seton, i would be doing a hard review of the AD.

What a shame if Fishman was run out by a few parents. He has put his time in a deserved to be treated better than that. He loved Lakota West girls basketball and poured his heart and soul in to it since the school opened. They were a great program that others wanted to be like.

Maybe he throws his name in the mix at Mason to throw it in the face of West. How much hype would that game get next year if he was on the Mason bench?

Maybe he ends up somewhere as an assistant. Watching him this year, I would think he still has something to give to the right situation.

We may not have agreed on much, but I do respect the 25+ years he put in. A lot of things off the court for the West program to be elite. Thank you Coach Fishman and good luck in your next chapter. The game will miss you.

What a shame if Fishman was run out by a few parents. He has put his time in a deserved to be treated better than that. He loved Lakota West girls basketball and poured his heart and soul in to it since the school opened. They were a great program that others wanted to be like.

Maybe he throws his name in the mix at Mason to throw it in the face of West. How much hype would that game get next year if he was on the Mason bench?

Maybe he ends up somewhere as an assistant. Watching him this year, I would think he still has something to give to the right situation.

We may not have agreed on much, but I do respect the 25+ years he put in. A lot of things off the court for the West program to be elite. Thank you Coach Fishman and good luck in your next chapter. The game will miss you.
Parents are energy suckers even for someone like Fishman. At some point, it takes its toll on you.

They stopped accepting applications on Apr 3rd. I would expect them to be moving on interviews at this point. Maybe expect to hear something late next week on this or early the following week.

Who is in the mix? Any assistants from the staff, Amber Gray, or maybe another GMC head coach?

American Football Dance GIF by EA SPORTS MADDEN NFL

Completely baseless and not happening.

His wife and him have administration jobs in the building and if you think he’d even consider leaving Dee, the twins, Triniti, Samaya, and Jones for a one year rental on Madison Parrish you’re out of your mind. Could see him making a move after this year when Dee is gone but no shot right now.

The other candidate is Michelle Munoz.

Completely baseless and not happening.

His wife and him have administration jobs in the building and if you think he’d even consider leaving Dee, the twins, Triniti, Samaya, and Jones for a one year rental on Madison Parrish you’re out of your mind. Could see him making a move after this year when Dee is gone but no shot right now.

The other candidate is Michelle Munoz.
Oh my yeah I thought there was no way he meant Mosley. You’d have to be out of your mind to think he would go for that.

Looks like my earlier prediction was wrong. Seton did not name a coach this afternoon.

They wrapped up second interviews last Tuesday or Wednesday. By next Monday we will be 12-13 days removed from the end of second interviews being completed. This would now say they have offered one or two people and could not work out the details. Could we see them open the job back up and ask for applicants again?

I don’t know how you say this is not an AD problem. If your first choices all said no, you had a fall back option in the building. The AD has promoted JV coaches before, sometimes without even opening the job up. If I was Seton, i would be doing a hard review of the AD.
A lot of a valid points made here... This is the "don't screw up this basketball hire" for once and it seems to be a disaster. The AD has very limited athletic background in regards to a degree or coaching a team. (not even sure what her actual qualifications are). She was an elementary teacher at one of the feeder schools prior to taking the job.

Below are my observations based on from what I've heard or have had conversations with;

1. Caldwell seemed to be her top choice, but he needs/wants a job in the building and she either didn't know that or Seton doesn't have a position for him. He has a lot of head coaching experience and has done well at Mariemont; most recently winning a district title.
2. If Scott Smith from M-M is the 2nd choice, what are the major qualifications that separates him and Morrison? Neither one have HC experience and are both previous JV girls coaches.
3. I know Morrison would have been the easiest transition being in the building, knows the system, and the players etc. There are probably other factors in this decision for why the trigger was not pulled quickly to offer him.
4. Seton has not made an offer; so when will the offer be made? You are pushing 6-7 weeks in this, and the confidence level among the parents, program, and community seems to be sinking.
5. Do any of the returning JV/Varsity staff return or consider to stay if able, regardless of an outside hire? I have heard mixed things but the trend seems to be nobody would return. This would make the spring process difficult. Trying to find coaches to venture to Price Hill to coach a slightly above average Seton girls team returning the whole group would be challenging. We all know assistant coaching stipends in the parochial schools are very low (except by the likes of GCL South schools).

I heard a lot of the same today. The only other piece I heard is that Morrison was told late last week he would not be getting the HC position.

Some people on here are acting like high school coaching jobs are like primary career jobs. For the majority of coaches, there are many other factors that need to line up to sacrifice the time needed to run a high school program successfully. Factors such as their primary job and family obligations. A lot of that probably isn't 100% clear until you get into the interview and talk expectations, money, etc.

Seton Athletics are in a good spot. The basketball program needs some stability in leadership to take another step. But, other programs (soccer, volleyball, etc) have hired coaches recently that have really improved the respective programs.

Last comment. Hiring the BEST candidate isn't always quick and easy.

I would imagine we start to see some announcements this week across the area. It’ll be interesting to see the possibility of the traditional boys’ coaches apply for girls jobs or to see anyone come out of semi retirement to coach again. It is definitely a thankless job.

I heard a lot of the same today. The only other piece I heard is that Morrison was told late last week he would not be getting the HC position.

Some people on here are acting like high school coaching jobs are like primary career jobs. For the majority of coaches, there are many other factors that need to line up to sacrifice the time needed to run a high school program successfully. Factors such as their primary job and family obligations. A lot of that probably isn't 100% clear until you get into the interview and talk expectations, money, etc.

Seton Athletics are in a good spot. The basketball program needs some stability in leadership to take another step. But, other programs (soccer, volleyball, etc) have hired coaches recently that have really improved the respective programs.

Last comment. Hiring the BEST candidate isn't always quick and easy.
If Morrison was told it was NOT going to be him, you would logically think an offer was made or going to be announced then (since he’s in the building) and maybe see if there would be a connection or opportunity to stay on staff. Plus, it would prevent there being a “blind side” announcement. He’s a really good up and coming coach. I heard he has offers to coach at other places. If he wants to stay, he will. Seton’s loss if he goes somewhere else.

Like another poster said, it takes time for the best hire. There are plenty of hires, opportunities, setbacks etc in coaching and life… not the end of the world.

If Morrison was told it was NOT going to be him, you would logically think an offer was made or going to be announced then (since he’s in the building) and maybe see if there would be a connection or opportunity to stay on staff. Plus, it would prevent there being a “blind side” announcement. He’s a really good up and coming coach. I heard he has offers to coach at other places. If he wants to stay, he will. Seton’s loss if he goes somewhere else.

Like another poster said, it takes time for the best hire. There are plenty of hires, opportunities, setbacks etc in coaching and life… not the end of the world.
Caldwell was offered the Basketball job but not a teaching job which he supposedly made clear in the interview that was the only way he could do it. Now the AD has put herself into a position of wait and see. Hearing Smith from M-M was next in line.
I believe they interviewed the JV coach as a courtesy.
I think Chadwell is getting overlooked in this.
Head coach at Logan (outside of Columbus) for like 5 years, spent some time as an assistant at SUA , and is currently a college assistant at Mount Union I believe.

Caldwell was offered the Basketball job but not a teaching job which he supposedly made clear in the interview that was the only way he could do it. Now the AD has put herself into a position of wait and see. Hearing Smith from M-M was next in line.
I believe they interviewed the JV coach as a courtesy.
I think Chadwell is getting overlooked in this.
Head coach at Logan (outside of Columbus) for like 5 years, spent some time as an assistant at SUA , and is currently a college assistant at Mount Union I believe.
LOL....I can think of many ways to be courteous. Having someone get their hopes up and waste their time is not one of them.

Ok. You're the AD. JV Coach applies for the job and he's a teacher at the school.

What's your next step?
1) Ignore his interest.
2) Just tell him he's not a viable candidate without exploring him in an interview.
3) Give him the experience of an interview and providing feedback that helps him with future opportunities.

Professionally, I think option 3 would benefit both the AD and the applicant.

Ok. You're the AD. JV Coach applies for the job and he's a teacher at the school.

What's your next step?
1) Ignore his interest.
2) Just tell him he's not a viable candidate without exploring him in an interview.
3) Give him the experience of an interview and providing feedback that helps him with future opportunities.

Professionally, I think option 3 would benefit both the AD and the applicant.
Depends. Are you actually interested in hiring them for the position? If you’re not interested in hiring that person then let them apply but don't progress them to the next “round”. If this person is an employee of the school and current JV coach, they will have earned a face to face conversation explaining your stance while encouraging them going forward.

The root goal is to find the next coach . Not teach up and coming coaches how to interview. They earn the interview and succeed or fail while simultaneously getting educated on the process.

Last edited: