Kids calling timeout

Official: "He used injury time so it's your choice!"

Wrestler: "Defer"

Official: "Huh?"......................slowly removes rule book from pocket.

:)

I'm inclined to think that 1 injury time out is fine. No penalties, or opponent choice, etc. for that 1st one. Injuries happen as well as those 'stub your toe' moments where something hurts like hell for a minute, then you're good. I also think when you get into 'punishing' someone for their 1st injury time, you're opening up some liability issues that no one wants to deal with anyway.

My thought is if you need to take a 2nd injury time, you forfeit the match. Don't wait till the 3rd instance. If you injure something in a manner that's so severe that you genuinely need to take a 2nd injury time, it's extremely likely you probably shouldn't continue anyway. I'm sure there are 'exceptions' that everyone can throw out but I think for an overwhelmingly large majority of legit injury cases that need a 2nd injury time, the wrestler shouldn't continue. This also completely takes away the ability to abuse the rule. If a kid burns his 1st IT cause he wants a breather in the 2nd period, then at the end of the 3rd gets a boo boo, he's done. Match over. I really think that's your answer.
Speaking only as a retired coach/official of forty plus years, the rules are fine just the way they are. I've seen numerous wrestlers suck it up when they are noticeably in severe pain and finish matches to end up champions in their weight class. Often times needing that second injury time for medical assistance. An unfortunate result of cutting weight occasionally results in cramps which can be very painful and wrestlers who have to use inhalers are handicapped from the start, and you want these wrestlers to forfeit the match after their second injury time. People like you need to stay as far away from a rules committee as heavenly possible. On the other hand, the powers to be got it right by deciding that the opponent of a wrestler taking a second injury should receive choice of starting position. A second injury time should require some degree of consequence and choice of position gives just enough of an advantage to make it a deterrent to one's opponent.

Speaking only as a retired coach/official of forty plus years, the rules are fine just the way they are. I've seen numerous wrestlers suck it up when they are noticeably in severe pain and finish matches to end up champions in their weight class. Often times needing that second injury time for medical assistance. An unfortunate result of cutting weight occasionally results in cramps which can be very painful and wrestlers who have to use inhalers are handicapped from the start, and you want these wrestlers to forfeit the match after their second injury time. People like you need to stay as far away from a rules committee as heavenly possible. On the other hand, the powers to be got it right by deciding that the opponent of a wrestler taking a second injury should receive choice of starting position. A second injury time should require some degree of consequence and choice of position gives just enough of an advantage to make it a deterrent to one's opponent.
Again, you can come up with an exception to justify or null any suggestion or rule. I've been around the block myself being involved with the sport for 31 years. I've coached multiple asthma kids who have taken full advantage of getting that inhaler puff and INJ time. Honestly, if I think about it, in all the years of coaching, there have been very few times where there was an inherent risk and the wrestler needed to take that time. 95% of time it was to get a break. I didn't like it but I also knew that I couldn't say anything. I think if you want to be accommodating to those exceptions, you require medical documentation to get a 3rd INJ time, and in such instances, I don't believe there should be a penalty for taking 2 INJ times, but w/o documentation, you get 1, the 2nd you're done.

95% of time it was to get a break. I don't believe there should be a penalty for taking 2 INJ times, but w/o documentation, you get 1, the 2nd you're done.
I don't care how long you said you've been around high school wrestling, if you truly believe that 95% of injury times taken are just to get a break then you certainly have a low opinion of high school wrestlers and their set of ethics. If you next sentence isn't a complete contradiction, then maybe you need a refresher on the English language. You can't have it both ways. LOL!!

I don't care how long you said you've been around high school wrestling, if you truly believe that 95% of injury times taken are just to get a break then you certainly have a low opinion of high school wrestlers and their set of ethics. If you next sentence isn't a complete contradiction, then maybe you need a refresher on the English language. You can't have it both ways. LOL!!
It's not all of injury time. It's a direct statement towards the reference to inhalers. In those instances, yes, 95% of the time, it's used more as a crutch than an actual need.

The next sentence/statement is referred to as a compromise, which as former S.S. teacher, I used to teach about. It appears however, like most kids and young people, you choose to ignore any semblance of understanding for a different opinion and feel like their way and methodology is the only way.

This isn't that important to me to have a yappi word war and I merely offered a suggestion, and then an amendment to the suggestion which I felt would be more accommodating, while at the same time, getting rid of the abuse of the rule. Have a good day.

Benedictine is the biggest abuser of this. Saw 126, 144, 175 all use this multiple times. As soon as they come out of the injury time, they’re recharged and usually go on to score.
Understand the differnce between Injury time and blood time. Stop Chatting. Can’t help when a kid is bleeding.

It's not all of injury time. It's a direct statement towards the reference to inhalers. In those instances, yes, 95% of the time, it's used more as a crutch than an actual need.

The next sentence/statement is referred to as a compromise, which as former S.S. teacher, I used to teach about. It appears however, like most kids and young people, you choose to ignore any semblance of understanding for a different opinion and feel like their way and methodology is the only way.

This isn't that important to me to have a yappi word war and I merely offered a suggestion, and then an amendment to the suggestion which I felt would be more accommodating, while at the same time, getting rid of the abuse of the rule. Have a good day.
The documentation that they are needed was done when the rx was given in their name. That's kind of rx work. Unless you are implying that kids are using drugs that are not prescribed to them? If by chance you want to understand how asthma impacts an athlete try running on a treadmill breathing through a straw and your nose plugged. The very nature of what an inhaler does is allow you to get more oxygen because your body will not. Of course you will look better afterwards that means it's working.

I wasn't clear. When did kids calling their own injury time by indicating the injury time signal (rolling their extended index finger) become legal/acceptable? I don't mean grasping an ankle, knee, chest, etc with a grimacing look.

I don't recall seeing it happen more than 3 yrs ago but saw it over 20 times this season. These incidents are clearly stalling.

I wasn't clear. When did kids calling their own injury time by indicating the injury time signal (rolling their extended index finger) become legal/acceptable? I don't mean grasping an ankle, knee, chest, etc with a grimacing look.

I don't recall seeing it happen more than 3 yrs ago but saw it over 20 times this season. These incidents are clearly stalling.
It is not new and it is not always stalling. The athlete always had the option to tell the official if there is an issue. We have no choice but to grant the time out. Is there something physically wrong? Not for us to say and not granting an injury time out as requested is never going to be an option.
A bigger problem, IMO, is the tapping out. That became a "thing" after MMA type fighting came along. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what it meant. The NFHS rules certainly do not allow for it. For me you tap, you lose. You gave up.