Northwest Ohio Realignment

90 east of Cleveland is not that important beyond the crossing in Buffalo. 80 east of Chicago is only useful as a link out of New York/NNJ to northern destinations and points NW of Chicago (MSP, WI and the Pacific NW.)

East to west logistics pathing for imports on the Atlantic, and shipper origin along I-95, caters stronger toward the 70 corridor and the southerly arteries. Unless a firm like Intel vertically integrated their logistics, the 75 and 80/90 angle doesn’t matter. Do you get to Norfolk, VA easier from Toledo or Columbus? How about the Carolinas?
Columbus is an hour closer.

Columbus is an hour closer.
It’s an hour closer if you’re comparing the Columbus-to-Norfolk routing that picks up I-64 in Beckley, WV to the Toledo-to-Norfolk routing that would have a motorist get on I-95 via the DC Beltway. It’s two hours if you’re comparing the distance using the same route of accessing I-64 in Beckley, pictured below.

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

So does Toledo.
Toledo has an airport? - its in Swanton 20 miles from downtown. And where can you fly from there? 3 days a week to Punta Gorda Florida and a couple times a week to Phoenix. Burlington had a huge presence there but that has been gone for years. If you want to go anywhere you need to go to Detroit airport. Just drive to Toledo ariport and check how many cars are in the parking lot. Not many. Its a Toledo attitude looking down at anyone that lives outside of the Toledo.

Those companies have to want to locate in these other areas.
Intel received $150M in direct investment and another $250M in deferred tax incentives from the state to build in Columbus. The State could just as easily have offered those incentives for them to build somewhere else in the state as well. Companies don't give a crap what major city they're near, but saving over a quarter of a billion dollars on one operation will make them work anywhere. Hell, Peloton was just about to build it's largest manufacturing facility in the western hemisphere in ing Genoa because of the incentives they were getting (damn you Mr. Big).

Last edited:
So an hour.
Lol...no, it's two hours because he has to cherry pick the shortest route from one area and the longest from another chs...thems the rules.

Domt even mention the fact that there is more cargo traffic in both NY/NJ and Philadelphia which further cuts down on the time difference and allows for cargo rail routes through northern Ohio, but whatever.

If he said it's an hour closer to the quartz mines in the Carolinas then he would at least have a little more of a leg to stand on, but alas, many want the wool pulled over their eyes about how much the State funnels to Columbus as opposed to eveelry other zone in the state.

Lol...no, it's two hours because he has to cherry pick the shortest route from one area and the longest from another chs...thems the rules.
galaxy brain thinking that the route with the DC Beltway and 95 South in NoVA doesn’t incur an extra hour’s worth of traffic and delays!

Domt even mention the fact that there is more cargo traffic in both NY/NJ and Philadelphia which further cuts down on the time difference and allows for cargo rail routes through northern Ohio, but whatever.
In the case of Intel, the movement of their products is probably not going to be in a palletized freight network anyways but instead through carriers that do handloading and automatic sorting. The two biggest carriers in that service have more hub-and-spoke operations along the 70 corridor and points south than they do 80/90 in IN & OH, 90 in NY/MA and 80 in PA. Their air service hubs are located, again, closer to Columbus as well.

If he said it's an hour closer to the quartz mines in the Carolinas then he would at least have a little more of a leg to stand on, but alas, many want the wool pulled over their eyes about how much the State funnels to Columbus as opposed to eveelry other zone in the state.
For the good or bad, Toledo is tied to the success of Detroit. The Ohio State University is a huge draw for Intel and is another factor in why Columbus is a good spot. Here's a good article that breaks it down.

Well now that we are at 273 pages and into the end of Basketball there must be some news on league shifting? We can go into the weeds of economics but that doesn't tell us who is thinking about going where... justsayn.

For the good or bad, Toledo is tied to the success of Detroit. The Ohio State University is a huge draw for Intel and is another factor in why Columbus is a good spot. Here's a good article that breaks it down.

Oh, it was absolutely OSU that took it over the top vs. Cincinnati or Cleveland, but OSU is the king of preferred treatment in the Statehouse, so the argument still stands. The State agencies clearly care about Central Ohio far more than any other region of the state, and that mindset has been incredibly detrimental to our overall growth as a State and region for years now.

Well now that we are at 273 pages and into the end of Basketball there must be some news on league shifting? We can go into the weeds of economics but that doesn't tell us who is thinking about going where... justsayn.
Probably because leagues are trying badly to fill games with referee assignments at the moment. Have to remember a lot of crews have close ties with conferences, the more shuffling that happens with leagues, the higher the chance of crews going elsewhere. From what I've heard the SBC and WBL are having a lot of problems at the moment filling games and may resort to either doubleheaders or Saturday games.

Probably because leagues are trying badly to fill games with referee assignments at the moment. Have to remember a lot of crews have close ties with conferences, the more shuffling that happens with leagues, the higher the chance of crews going elsewhere. From what I've heard the SBC and WBL are having a lot of problems at the moment filling games and may resort to either doubleheaders or Saturday games.
Not a lot of officials to choose from in the exurbs and rural areas, and not many from the metro areas want to make those trips anymore.

WBL? That'd be a shock to me if they're struggling to find refs
It goes back to what ToledoGuy just said. Sure leagues like the NBC/NLL/TAAC are in better shape, but start to drift west and south and it gets dicey. The WBL/BVC are really getting hurt by the loss of long time crews, they've got to pull considerably more from Toledo because of this. If the Toledo crews are already scheduled up or don't want to travel, then what? The spread, fast paced style of play today is really shortening the timespan a guy can ref anymore

It goes back to what ToledoGuy just said. Sure leagues like the NBC/NLL/TAAC are in better shape, but start to drift west and south and it gets dicey. The WBL/BVC are really getting hurt by the loss of long time crews, they've got to pull considerably more from Toledo because of this. If the Toledo crews are already scheduled up or don't want to travel, then what? The spread, fast paced style of play today is really shortening the timespan a guy can ref anymore
And get ready for refs to cost a lot more for schools. I could see travel rates coming into play very quickly, on top of the $50/game rate increase they're getting spread over the next two seasons.

Football officials are going to be hitting $100/game next year from $80/game in 2022 and the next contract is rumored to be aiming for $150/game by 2030.
Can’t believe football was that low. Heard NLL and surrounding conferences were paying $100 this year for varsity basketball

Football officials are going to be hitting $100/game next year from $80/game in 2022 and the next contract is rumored to be aiming for $150/game by 2030.
NLL and NBC are $120/game. All others around $100 but I'd agree that we'll be at $150, but that is likely by next year. I think it's more important to dramatically rise pay for JH/JV as those are so tough to fill. As wages have exploded post pandemic, it's way easier and more lucrative to work some OT than do a game. Still, $120 isn't bad at all for a few hours on a Friday

Can’t believe football was that low. Heard NLL and surrounding conferences were paying $100 this year for varsity basketball
That is the minimum mandated by the state. My guess is the leagues will escalate their own rates to keep their position at the top of the list.

NLL and NBC are $120/game. All others around $100 but I'd agree that we'll be at $150, but that is likely by next year. I think it's more important to dramatically rise pay for JH/JV as those are so tough to fill. As wages have exploded post pandemic, it's way easier and more lucrative to work some OT than do a game. Still, $120 isn't bad at all for a few hours on a Friday
Yep...I went through the process a few years back and it definitely doesn't hurt having a couple hundred more dollars every week in the fall. It is a bit odd being 25-30 years younger than most of the other officials, but that won't be for long.

Most assigners work 2-3 years in advance and every game has a crew assigned or accounted for.

Double headers?

In NW Ohio we are losing football officials faster than we are gaining them. The longer that continues the more of a problem it will be. If a crew retires then assigners have to find crew available next year and every decent crew already has a full schedule next year. Finding a good crew with an open Friday night in 2024 is not likely. Play that game on Thursday or Saturday night and there won't be a problem find someone open.

A few hours? That's always the problem I have heard. Sure the game is from 7-9p. But many say that they arrive 1.5-2hrs before kickoff then by time they shower, leave, and change its 930. Add in half hour drive each way your looking at 4:30-10p on Friday. 5.5 hours total

Most assigners work 2-3 years in advance and every game has a crew assigned or accounted for.

Double headers?

In NW Ohio we are losing football officials faster than we are gaining them. The longer that continues the more of a problem it will be. If a crew retires then assigners have to find crew available next year and every decent crew already has a full schedule next year. Finding a good crew with an open Friday night in 2024 is not likely. Play that game on Thursday or Saturday night and there won't be a problem find someone open.
From what I’ve heard DragonFly has been crazy the last few months as leagues scramble to fill games. The only real option in my opinion is Saturdays because of Thursday’s being the JH day. I’m not sure how much longer assigners can continue booking games more than a year out, that crew falls apart and you’re in big trouble. The WBL has been bitten by this pretty good if the rumor mill is true.

A few hours? That's always the problem I have heard. Sure the game is from 7-9p. But many say that they arrive 1.5-2hrs before kickoff then by time they shower, leave, and change its 930. Add in half hour drive each way your looking at 4:30-10p on Friday. 5.5 hours total
We are supposed to be on site 90 minutes before kickoff. We are always early. That may not work for every crew because of work requirements. I don't judge.

Most of our schedule is more than a 30 minute drive. Some of that is our choice, some of that is the fact that there is only one urban area in NW Ohio and we don't live there.

Last edited: