Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

It’s poorly worded, but it currently is a rule the coaches should know and understand. The punishment is forfeiture of that weight class not forfeiture of postseason. The girl should have been given the opportunity to compete in a weight class she was eligible for. It’s a rule that needs to be addressed.
It’s second round of qualifiers. Cant change weight classes at this point.

Why is this guy Rugg in charge of wrestling? Wouldn’t a wrestling state rules interpreter be a better person to be making rule violation decisions?
In the same way that the OHSAA executive director is technically in charge of all sports. There are state rules interpreters, but there’s always someone higher up the chain.

It’s poorly worded, but it currently is a rule the coaches should know and understand. The punishment is forfeiture of that weight class not forfeiture of postseason. The girl should have been given the opportunity to compete in a weight class she was eligible for. It’s a rule that needs to be addressed.
Lineups are due at a certain time and cannot be adjusted after… therefore the punishment is that she is disqualified from the event and as a result of that her season is over.

100% of coaches at central district voted to pause the tournament in dispute of the allowance of this to happen because it is against the rules and Beau Rugg overruled the entire district. The coaches want integrity in the sport and he continues to allow his unilateral decisions to undermine that. It’s unbelievable that he is allowed to swing his sword and overrule clear rules!!

The #1 ranked girl in the state at 110 talea guntrum weighed in with an altered singlet. She was on weight in the altered singlet. They made her weigh in with a school singlet, she was over weight. The altered singlet has all the elastic cut out (I wasn’t there but was told it was visibly altered and cut with scissors)

Officials said she was out. Beau overruled and she is in.
Heard about this today… this should be talked about more… I heard she stepped on the scale more than 5 times and with different and altered singlets, non team singlet. I know how the rumor mill spreads. But what rules are we picking and choosing to follow ?

The #1 ranked girl in the state at 110 talea guntrum weighed in with an altered singlet. She was on weight in the altered singlet. They made her weigh in with a school singlet, she was over weight. The altered singlet has all the elastic cut out (I wasn’t there but was told it was visibly altered and cut with scissors)

Officials said she was out. Beau overruled and she is in.
Ugh. This is so bad on so many levels.

Last edited:
You’d have to convince the board of directors. Good luck with
Heard about this today… this should be talked about more… I heard she stepped on the scale more than 5 times and with different and altered singlets, non team singlet. I know how the rumor mill spreads. But what rules are we picking and choosing to follow ?
This decision should be reversed immediately and the alternate should take her place in the bracket. Why weigh in if it doesn't matter if you make weight? Why have rules if some people don't have to follow them? Other girls didn't make weight and their season was over. Why the preferential treatment?

If anyone thinks the guy who is the head of all OHSAA sport admins and all officials is getting fired over one bad decision in girls wrestling…please remember to pass after two puffs.
2 calls that we're against plain written rules, but you uphold another ruling on a different girl. Only difference on these cases are 2 of them were returning placers and the one wasn't. You can guess which ruling was upheld. This stinks of back pocket money or legal troubles coming soon for the OHSAA. With after the football playoffs the OHSAA is not very popular

This is the 3rd decision in 2 weeks. Read the whole thread.
Alright, if you think the dude is getting fired over 30 bad decisions in girls wrestling, you’re still very naive. The board of directors does not care about that at all. Is the dude keepin the money flowing in football? Yes? His job is safe then.

2 calls that we're against plain written rules, but you uphold another ruling on a different girl. Only difference on these cases are 2 of them were returning placers and the one wasn't. You can guess which ruling was upheld. This stinks of back pocket money or legal troubles coming soon for the OHSAA. With after the football playoffs the OHSAA is not very popular
OHSAA is immensely popular with the people who matter- school principals and ADs. Board of directors voted 9-0 to expand the football playoffs, but you think they’re gonna fire the guy in charge of football over something in girls wrestling?

OHSAA is immensely popular with the people who matter- school principals and ADs. Board of directors voted 9-0 to expand the football playoffs, but you think they’re gonna fire the guy in charge of football over something in girls wrestling?
Beau doesn’t need to be fired. However, why have rules in a rulebook if coaches continue to break them and then Beau decides to allow some coaches (appearing to be ones with elite wrestlers) a pass but lays the hammer down on others? The guy is a fool and needs a reality check, people are tired and upset

Stubenville girl is a freshman.

Beau doesn’t need to be fired. However, why have rules in a rulebook if coaches continue to break them and then Beau decides to allow some coaches (appearing to be ones with elite wrestlers) a pass but lays the hammer down on others? The guy is a fool and needs a reality check, people are tired and upset
I completely agree that it makes zero sense. But it isn’t new. OHSAA has made inconsistent decisions and rulings forever. Nothing ever changes about it because the people in charge (the board of directors) do not care, and the schools don’t care enough to vote in people who do care.

Did anyone watch the Penn State vrs Ohio State dual this year? Specifically the 125 match. College Refs and they got it wrong. My point is about perfection. There is the human element and we're not perfect. That must be factored in.

Integrity to uphold the rules are important. You must adhere to the rules. Ohio High School seems to have a selective rules enforcement policy. That's not acceptable and must change.

I can understand Refs, Wrestlers, Fans and parents points of view. Some of these parties will have viewpoints that are absurd. The one constant should be the rules that govern the sport. Rules keep the sport pure. Enforce the rules. Period!

Last edited:
Lineups are due at a certain time and cannot be adjusted after… therefore the punishment is that she is disqualified from the event and as a result of that her season is over.

That is the point. The girl should have been notified before Pre Regional that she lost her eligibility for that weight class and given a chance to enter a weight class she was eligible for. Opposing coaches should not be able to challenge after the Pre Regional. The rule needs adjustment.

The OHSAA does not have a system in place to monitor this rule at all. I would make the following adjustment to the rule. A wrestler at weigh in can compete at the minimum allowable weight class allowed based on their weight loss plan on that given day.

It should not matter what weight class they wrestled prior. Did her weight loss plan show she was eligible for that weight class on that day? Yes. Did she make the weight? Yes.

Every person’s weight fluctuates differently. Those light weight girl wt classes are separated by only 5 pounds, but this rule is applied the same as the boys wt class that could be separated by 15 pounds.

Let’s hope some coaches can get this rule straightened out once and for all in the offseason. I’m sure the OHSAA would welcome it to eliminate the head ache next year when it comes up again when someone unintentionally violates the rule and coaches wait until last minute to protest and rule them ineligible for postseason.

That is the point. The girl should have been notified before Pre Regional that she lost her eligibility for that weight class and given a chance to enter a weight class she was eligible for. Opposing coaches should not be able to challenge after the Pre Regional. The rule needs adjustment.

The OHSAA does not have a system in place to monitor this rule at all. I would make the following adjustment to the rule. A wrestler at weigh in can compete at the minimum allowable weight class allowed based on their weight loss plan on that given day.

It should not matter what weight class they wrestled prior. Did her weight loss plan show she was eligible for that weight class on that day? Yes. Did she make the weight? Yes.

Every person’s weight fluctuates differently. Those light weight girl wt classes are separated by only 5 pounds, but this rule is applied the same as the boys wt class that could be separated by 15 pounds.

Let’s hope some coaches can get this rule straightened out once and for all in the offseason. I’m sure the OHSAA would welcome it to eliminate the head ache next year when it comes up again when someone unintentionally violates the rule and coaches wait until last minute to protest and rule them ineligible for postseason.
The rule is fine as is, we don’t need to change it just because a coach doesn’t understand it and his wrestler got DQ’d. It allows a gradual decent to their desired weight class… if you choose to not follow your weight lose plan you risk forfeiting a weight class. If my wrestler is at 190 going down to 175 he still has to be under a certain weight according to his plan.

The rule is fine as is, we don’t need to change it just because a coach doesn’t understand it and his wrestler got DQ’d. It allows a gradual decent to their desired weight class… if you choose to not follow your weight lose plan you risk forfeiting a weight class. If my wrestler is at 190 going down to 175 he still has to be under a certain weight according to his plan.
Her coach understands the rule just fine. You’re hearing 15% of the story. Also, there were plenty of instances in the boys district that the same “rule” was misinterpreted. If you would like the list I have it. I’m just not going to blast it because im not trying to be vindictive If you read the the actual language in the handbook, it contradicts itself. The rule may not need changed but the language needs cleaned up. Also, you can not hold a biological female to the same decent plan as a biological male. Females can retain 5-7 pounds of water weight once a month. Hopefully I don’t have to spell it out any more than that for you. I’m not advocating for them not make a set weight at the day of the tournament but you can not hold a weekly calculation weight on alpha. It’s flawed. If you truly want to sanction women’s wrestling accordingly you can not ignore this. I’m not going to argue you it on wrestling Facebook (yappi)

Her coach understands the rule just fine. You’re hearing 15% of the story. Also, there were plenty of instances in the boys district that the same “rule” was misinterpreted. If you would like the list I have it. I’m just not going to blast it because im not trying to be vindictive If you read the the actual language in the handbook, it contradicts itself. The rule may not need changed but the language needs cleaned up. Also, you can not hold a biological female to the same decent plan as a biological male. Females can retain 5-7 pounds of water weight once a month. Hopefully I don’t have to spell it out any more than that for you. I’m not advocating for them not make a set weight at the day of the tournament but you can not hold a weekly calculation weight on alpha. It’s flawed. If you truly want to sanction women’s wrestling accordingly you can not ignore this. I’m not going to argue you it on wrestling Facebook (yappi)
So you intentionally broke the rule because you felt it was unfair? Got it.