ECC 23-24

This is a good league, parity from top to bottom. WW obviously the best team this season. Walnut with a nice win over Turpin. They lose Claxton but pretty young squad. I saw WC at Kings last season and this season. Very impressive turn around. Next season will be even better. The league will be wide open next season.

This is a good league, parity from top to bottom. WW obviously the best team this season. Walnut with a nice win over Turpin. They lose Claxton but pretty young squad. I saw WC at Kings last season and this season. Very impressive turn around. Next season will be even better. The league will be wide open next season.
This league is exciting next year will be even more competitive. For my Eagles they have a lot of sophomores that I hope can turn the corner and they are potentially a contender for league title the next two years

As Walnut was largely able to keep Shea O'Toole in check on Tuesday, Rayshawn Hubbard is now the conference's second-leading scorer, only behind TMK. He'll be a strong candidate for 2025 ECC Player of the Year if he returns to West Clermont for his senior year.

MaxPreps Rankings 02/08/2024

Winton Woods up 4 spots to #15
Little Miami up 6 spots to #98
Kings up 34 spots to #150
Anderson down 1 spot to #152
Lebanon up 10 spots to #179
Milford up 2 spots to #205
Loveland no movement at #215
Turpin up 3 spots to #280
West Clermont up 21 spots to #425
Walnut Hills up 38 spots to #444

RPI seeding:
D1 Southwest South (33 teams): Winton Woods #3, Little Miami #10, Anderson #14, Kings #15, Milford #18, Loveland #19, Turpin #25, West Clermont #29, Walnut Hills #31
D1 Southwest North (20 teams): Lebanon #10

I don’t think you’re using the word Parity right. In this league, I believe there are teams who have low talent but great coaching, discipline, etc, while there are teams with high talent that also can’t run an offense, don’t box out, rely on one guy going to UC and whose coach just kind of claps and says a few things here and there (WW, possibly others, haven’t made it to too many games this year). Parity means (roughly) equal talent levels, I think there’s a lot more to the teams of the ECC than just talent levels (other than WW)

Weekend slate

Friday, February 9, 2024
Walnut Hills (4-15) @ #15 Winton Woods (15-2) (WW -18.5)
Loveland (11-10) @ West Clermont (7-14) (LOVE -4.5)
Milford (10-10) @ Kings (10-10) (KINGS -1.5)
Little Miami (15-6) @ Anderson (12-7) (LM -2.5)
Turpin (7-12) @ Lebanon (11-10) (LEB -7.5)

Saturday, February 10, 2024
#15 Winton Woods (15-2) @ Northmont (11-7) (WW -5.5)
Walnut Hills (4-15) @ Withrow (3-10) (WITH -6.5)
Ross (8-12) @ Turpin (7-12) (TURP -6.5)

Last edited:
I don’t think you’re using the word Parity right. In this league, I believe there are teams who have low talent but great coaching, discipline, etc, while there are teams with high talent that also can’t run an offense, don’t box out, rely on one guy going to UC and whose coach just kind of claps and says a few things here and there (WW, possibly others, haven’t made it to too many games this year). Parity means (roughly) equal talent levels, I think there’s a lot more to the teams of the ECC than just talent levels (other than WW)
You're somewhat correct, but I believe 9 of the teams are all fairly similar in talent. If you look at them individually almost every team in the league has one "star" player and a collection of role players around them.

Anderson - Piening
Kings - Clark
Lebanon - Thompson
Loveland - Sauer
LM - Jones
Milford - Dalen
Turpin - O'Toole
WC - Hubbard
Walnut - Claxton

Now, the parity comes through matchups, system, coaching, team interaction. How do you explain Kings, Milford & Turpin having very middling years despite their alleged talent? Lebanon has a P5 prospect, yet they are .500? LM goes from winless and forfeiting in the tourney their first year in the league and now possibly finishing first*(non-WW division) in four years?

That's the definition of parity in my book.

You're somewhat correct, but I believe 9 of the teams are all fairly similar in talent. If you look at them individually almost every team in the league has one "star" player and a collection of role players around them.

Anderson - Piening
Kings - Clark
Lebanon - Thompson
Loveland - Sauer
LM - Jones
Milford - Dalen
Turpin - O'Toole
WC - Hubbard
Walnut - Claxton

Now, the parity comes through matchups, system, coaching, team interaction. How do you explain Kings, Milford & Turpin having very middling years despite their alleged talent? Lebanon has a P5 prospect, yet they are .500? LM goes from winless and forfeiting in the tourney their first year in the league and now possibly finishing first*(non-WW division) in four years?

That's the definition of parity in my book.
i was gonna go into more detail about how coaching, discipline, and all the other things make the teams of the ECC close and competitive but I started to focus on the WW downsides a little to much and forgot my own point, that’s my bad. Also, like I said, I haven’t been able to make too many games this year so I thought I would be off to varying degrees so I do appreciate the breakdown, it helps me understand the league a bit better in its current form

Will Coach Kerr opt to apply elsewhere next season after his impressive first season at Little Miami? The guy is a winner and easily one of the top 5 coaches in Cincinnati.

Top notch Coach, no doubt about it. Lawhon does get a little credit for leaving a good situation. Couldn't understand why he left but according to this site he was always looking at other jobs? Kerr also gets credit for style of play change which made them more aggressive.

Streaming options for tonight's games:

Free
Milford @ Kings (maybe) live on YouTube
Walnut Hills @ Winton Woods live on YouTube

Paid
Loveland @ West Clermont live on NFHS
Little Miami @ Anderson live on NFHS

Probably out of luck
Turpin @ Lebanon

Top notch Coach, no doubt about it. Lawhon does get a little credit for leaving a good situation. Couldn't understand why he left but according to this site he was always looking at other jobs? Kerr also gets credit for style of play change which made them more aggressive.
Lawhon is back as an assistant at Lakota East this year. His big problem, both for getting a head job and making it work, is that he is not a teacher and instead has a day job.

Live scoreboard
Lebanon 61, Turpin 47 - final
Winton Woods 54, Walnut Hills 51 - final
Kings 88, Milford 60 - final
Anderson 61, Little Miami 56 - final
Loveland 71, West Clermont 53 - final

Last edited:
WALNUTPOSTING: Winton Woods 54, Walnut Hills 51

Well, they played 'em even closer than they did the first time. Winton Woods' 3-point margin of victory was their largest lead of the entire night, as the Eagles seem to be the one team immune to Winton Woods second-half surges. Well, at least for most of it, as Winton Woods ended the game on a 9-0 run.

In the first half, Walnut seemed to be executing both parts of the Beat Winton Woods Formula pretty well - drain a bunch of threes, and force the Winton Woods offense into mistakes and turnovers. Most of Winton Woods' first-half scores came on either fast break points or ridiculous threes from Sean Harmon, who had a much better game than he did in the Nuthouse. In the second half, Winton Woods pivoted to their other main style of offense, aka Get Tyler the Ball in the Post and Let Him Do Stuff, which Walnut held up solid against for the most part, and even coaxed a few turnovers and offensive fouls. We didn't have Najoli for a second straight game, so it was mostly two or three of our 6'3'' guys trying their damndest to get any appendages they could on the ball. We had a 6-point lead with 2 minutes left, but then Harmon hit another ridiculous downtown 3 with almost no separation, and then we turned it over against their press on the next possession, followed by another bucket. The offense went cold, aided by some weirdly physical officiating, and that was all she wrote, as King and Austin couldn't make Harmon-esque threes with a few seconds left.

As for individual performances, Ty Austin continues to be That Dude, and was a big factor in building our first-half lead in the first place. From there, it was pretty much everyone else elevating their own levels of play, with Brock, Javien, King, and Bryce playing somewhat above their pay grade. Piening only played a couple of minutes, making one reverse layup for his first points in two months, but then on the next possession Winton Woods managed to iso TMK on him, and... yeah. TMK finished with 16 points but also 6 turnovers. Harmon 15, Seaonta 12.

Record is down to 4-16. Somehow, as a 16-loss team facing a schedule with two games against Winton Woods and one against Moeller, we have only lost one game by 20+, and it was a 38-point loss to Lebanon in December. Next is Withrow, who I don't know much about but who also have not won very many games.

WALNUTPOSTING: Winton Woods 54, Walnut Hills 51

Well, they played 'em even closer than they did the first time. Winton Woods' 3-point margin of victory was their largest lead of the entire night, as the Eagles seem to be the one team immune to Winton Woods second-half surges. Well, at least for most of it, as Winton Woods ended the game on a 9-0 run.

In the first half, Walnut seemed to be executing both parts of the Beat Winton Woods Formula pretty well - drain a bunch of threes, and force the Winton Woods offense into mistakes and turnovers. Most of Winton Woods' first-half scores came on either fast break points or ridiculous threes from Sean Harmon, who had a much better game than he did in the Nuthouse. In the second half, Winton Woods pivoted to their other main style of offense, aka Get Tyler the Ball in the Post and Let Him Do Stuff, which Walnut held up solid against for the most part, and even coaxed a few turnovers and offensive fouls. We didn't have Najoli for a second straight game, so it was mostly two or three of our 6'3'' guys trying their damndest to get any appendages they could on the ball. We had a 6-point lead with 2 minutes left, but then Harmon hit another ridiculous downtown 3 with almost no separation, and then we turned it over against their press on the next possession, followed by another bucket. The offense went cold, aided by some weirdly physical officiating, and that was all she wrote, as King and Austin couldn't make Harmon-esque threes with a few seconds left.

As for individual performances, Ty Austin continues to be That Dude, and was a big factor in building our first-half lead in the first place. From there, it was pretty much everyone else elevating their own levels of play, with Brock, Javien, King, and Bryce playing somewhat above their pay grade. Piening only played a couple of minutes, making one reverse layup for his first points in two months, but then on the next possession Winton Woods managed to iso TMK on him, and... yeah. TMK finished with 16 points but also 6 turnovers. Harmon 15, Seaonta 12.

Record is down to 4-16. Somehow, as a 16-loss team facing a schedule with two games against Winton Woods and one against Moeller, we have only lost one game by 20+, and it was a 38-point loss to Lebanon in December. Next is Withrow, who I don't know much about but who also have not won very many games.
This team will be a tough out what the game came down to tonight was if walnut had a Carter Sellers or a guy his size to guard Tyler they win that game and the refs with an obvious miss on a kick ball and fouls when WW was trying to foul walnut with the lead costed our Eagles I hate to blame refs but this one at the end seemed as if they didn’t want to see the UC commit lose to a below 500 team on senior night! I’m interested to see who our first round matchup will be in the tournament anybody but Moeller I think we can get us a win or two!

This team will be a tough out what the game came down to tonight was if walnut had a Carter Sellers or a guy his size to guard Tyler they win that game and the refs with an obvious miss on a kick ball and fouls when WW was trying to foul walnut with the lead costed our Eagles I hate to blame refs but this one at the end seemed as if they didn’t want to see the UC commit lose to a below 500 team on senior night! I’m interested to see who our first round matchup will be in the tournament anybody but Moeller I think we can get us a win or two!
I would imagine, given their respective seeding, that we might see Walnut/WW round 3. Stu and the boys have had two 4th-quarter leads against Winton Woods in two games and haven't been able to hold on either time. If Winton Woods doesn't take a bye slot, I can't imagine any other team would want to play them more than Walnut.

As for big men, I was curious if we would see 6'5 Will Rivers play any minutes, but he didn't. He didn't play bad in his 2 minutes of varsity action in the Turpin game, and he seemed like a natural fit to play a few minutes in this one.

Their last 3 possessions in the 4th summarizes their season. Double dribble, travel (trying to split two defenders), horrible contested 3, with 8 seconds, when they are down 2. Then they get a clean look at a 3 to tie, that doesn’t go in. Situational awareness kills them late in games.

lol “they didn’t want to see the UC commit lose to a below 500 team on senior night”

As if the refs give a crap about McKinley or him going to UC. You sound about as about as WW fans losing to LM a couple weeks back 😂

I would imagine, given their respective seeding, that we might see Walnut/WW round 3. Stu and the boys have had two 4th-quarter leads against Winton Woods in two games and haven't been able to hold on either time. If Winton Woods doesn't take a bye slot, I can't imagine any other team would want to play them more than Walnut.

As for big men, I was curious if we would see 6'5 Will Rivers play any minutes, but he didn't. He didn't play bad in his 2 minutes of varsity action in the Turpin game, and he seemed like a natural fit to play a few minutes in this one.
You can almost see WH getting into the same bracket as WW, considering how close they’ve played them. Hopefully, the Warriors will be ready.

Streaming options for tonight's games:

Free
Walnut Hills / Withrow maybe live on YouTube (On Impact will also have a stream, but their broadcasts usually aren't very high-quality)

Paid
Winton Woods / Northmont live on NFHS
Ross / Turpin live on NFHS

(Note: the Kings / Anderson game that I mistakenly added to today's schedule is actually happening on Tuesday)

Last edited:
You can almost see WH getting into the same bracket as WW, considering how close they’ve played them. Hopefully, the Warriors will be ready.
There will only be 3 spots left on the bracket by the time they pick, so their options will be limited. I imagine 2 of the spots remaining at that point will be the 1st round against Moeller and the bye awaiting Moeller. It will depend on if Edgewood prefers Elder or Winton Woods in all likelihood.