Northwest Ohio Realignment

Bellevue is Bay for football and Lake for everything else

Football, Bellevue is in Bay. Their enrollment was tied with Perkins, but Bellevue was assigned Bay. I believe in 2 years, a change will take place

the 2018 count was tied so they went back to 2016 to break the tie (Perkins was bigger)

Haven't heard anything about the future changes yet (for 2025 and 2026). Maybe they will actually wait for the 2024 numbers to come out this time?
The last time they did this was late in 2021 (to set the 2023 and 2024 football season divisions), and they used the 2018 (no 2020 due to covid) numbers instead of waiting for 2022's to come out because they wanted more time for scheduling.

I just thought of something:

Who doesn't Bellevue and Clyde want in the Lake?

A dead horse?

May I get dead horse around here?
We could get really wild with it and do this...

- Edison, Huron, Margaretta, Port Clinton leave for the NBC
- Napoleon and Liberty Benton join the NBC as well

NBC East
Edison
Fostoria
Genoa
Huron
Margaretta
Oak Harbor
Port Clinton

NBC West
Eastwood
Lake
Liberty Benton
Maumee
Napoleon
Otsego
Rossford

Combine for a few sports, separate for football with maybe a Week 10 championship crossover? 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2 and so on

NBC East
Edison
Fostoria
Genoa
Huron
Margaretta
Oak Harbor
Port Clinton

NBC West
Eastwood
Lake
Liberty Benton
Maumee
Napoleon
Otsego
Rossford

Combine for a few sports, separate for football with maybe a Week 10 championship crossover? 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2 and so on
That is rather wild

NBC East
Edison
Fostoria
Genoa
Huron
Margaretta
Oak Harbor
Port Clinton

NBC West
Eastwood
Lake
Liberty Benton
Maumee
Napoleon
Otsego
Rossford

I doubt Fostoria cares for that setup...trips to Huron, Margaretta and Edison aren't favorable.

NBC East
Edison
Fostoria
Genoa
Huron
Margaretta
Oak Harbor
Port Clinton

NBC West
Eastwood
Lake
Liberty Benton
Maumee
Napoleon
Otsego
Rossford

The NBC East would be known as the SBC Bay.

Trips to Otsego/Rossford/Maumee aren’t much better.

Not quite. Granted I think we could combine most sports if needed as well, you don’t have the discrepancies the NLL has where Whitmer is in there with Napoleon
Otsego/Rossford/Maumee is about a 33 mile one way trip each, two of which are essentially straight shots from Fostoria

Huron/Milan/Castalia are 58, 55 and 42 miles away and between an hour to 1:10 each, more on a bus.

So roughly 36 miles more per round trip. That's a lot on a week night.

NBC East
Edison
Fostoria
Genoa
Huron
Margaretta
Oak Harbor
Port Clinton

NBC West
Eastwood
Lake
Liberty Benton
Maumee
Napoleon
Otsego
Rossford

Genoa gets thrown in the cupboard under the stairs.

Again, for me is it's what Ottawa Hills and Liberty-Benton does. Whatever move they make I feel like will launch another round of fun.....
Ottawa Hills would be Woodmore 2.0. They in no way would ever be competitive to win the league (especially if LB joins) and it would erode what is a solid D6 program. Woodmore lost 3 D1 NCAA players to transfers over the last 10 years, anyone of those guys stay and they could've built something legitimate in the NBC. I'd hate to see that happen to OH

Ottawa Hills would be Woodmore 2.0. They in no way would ever be competitive to win the league (especially if LB joins) and it would erode what is a solid D6 program. Woodmore lost 3 D1 NCAA players to transfers over the last 10 years, anyone of those guys stay and they could've built something legitimate in the NBC. I'd hate to see that happen to OH
If I'm Ottawa Hills I lobby hard to get into the SBC River "North." Willard would have to go back up to the Bay in for football so the River could stay at eight schools. But that would give the River 12 overall and cut down on travel for the "South" schools since they play the "North" just once.

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Woodmore
SMCC
Danbury

Calvert
SJCC
Old Fort
New Riegel
Hopewell-Loudon
Lakota

Football only

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Woodmore
Lakota
Calvert
Hopewell-Loudon
Margaretta

This also eliminates the long trip to Willard for the northern area schools.

If I'm Ottawa Hills I lobby hard to get into the SBC River "North." Willard would have to go back up to the Bay in for football so the River could stay at eight schools. But that would give the River 12 overall and cut down on travel for the "South" schools since they play the "North" just once.

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Woodmore
SMCC
Danbury

Calvert
SJCC
Old Fort
New Riegel
Hopewell-Loudon
Lakota

Football only

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Woodmore
Lakota
Calvert
Hopewell-Loudon
Margaretta

This also eliminates the long trip to Willard for the northern area schools.
This looks like an insanely good set-up for a lot of parties involved.

That said, do both sides want to make this work, especially given Ottawa Hills is effectively rudderless and has the former TAAC Commish as Athletic Director right now?

This looks like an insanely good set-up for a lot of parties involved.

That said, do both sides want to make this work, especially given Ottawa Hills is effectively rudderless and has the former TAAC Commish as Athletic Director right now?
Ottawa Hills “problem” as well is that they would absolute dominate a handful of sports. You’re talking about a baseball, golf, lacrosse and tennis powerhouse here. I can’t imagine the league would love that in addition to a pretty competitive football and basketball program at this time

Ottawa Hills “problem” as well is that they would absolute dominate a handful of sports. You’re talking about a baseball, golf, lacrosse and tennis powerhouse here. I can’t imagine the league would love that in addition to a pretty competitive football and basketball program at this time
They wouldn’t dominate baseball - Calvert is going to be pretty dang good for the foreseeable future. Does anyone in the SBC even have lacrosse? Tennis, yes.

They wouldn’t dominate baseball - Calvert is going to be pretty dang good for the foreseeable future. Does anyone in the SBC even have lacrosse? Tennis, yes.

Not to be arrogant about baseball at Ottawa Hills, but Ottawa Hills plays a Toledo Suburban and Catholic schedule full throttle. I get it, right now Calvert is on a tear with State Appearances the last couple of years, but the history of Ottawa Hills doesn't lie in baseball. They're a school that can walk into the tournament at 12-12 and they'll be making it to the 3rd weekend......

So yes, right now Calvert can compete, but over the years, Ottawa Hills with what Hardman has built there through the years is a program that is lethal.

I remember about 20 years when Northwood was gonna go down I-75 and show McComb a thing or two about playing football. McComb won by 60.
I had family that played on that team and I can tell you Northwood players and staff knew they weren’t winning that game

Not to be arrogant about baseball at Ottawa Hills, but Ottawa Hills plays a Toledo Suburban and Catholic schedule full throttle. I get it, right now Calvert is on a tear with State Appearances the last couple of years, but the history of Ottawa Hills doesn't lie in baseball. They're a school that can walk into the tournament at 12-12 and they'll be making it to the 3rd weekend......

So yes, right now Calvert can compete, but over the years, Ottawa Hills with what Hardman has built there through the years is a program that is lethal.
I can't disagree, OH had been a consistent model. That being said, with the current North/South setup the OH schedule for baseball they'd still get 10 non-league games. They'd also essentially have an independent schedule for tennis and lacrosse. They just seem like the most logical fit to make the River and even 12 teams. But again, that would mean Willard switching for football and I doubt they do that.

I can't disagree, OH had been a consistent model. That being said, with the current North/South setup the OH schedule for baseball they'd still get 10 non-league games. They'd also essentially have an independent schedule for tennis and lacrosse. They just seem like the most logical fit to make the River and even 12 teams. But again, that would mean Willard switching for football and I doubt they do that.

Then let Willard try to get in the N10.

The N10 seems happy where they’re at. Also Willard and Margaretta aren’t going to leave the River anytime soon as it caters to their needs of being bad in football

I posted that in response to an idea of OH joining the River and Willard football being forced to the Bay.

1708818238636.png

^ - A couple of takeaways.

The numbers reflect the thought amongst many that football in the area is down compared to where it was 10-15 years ago. The greater Toledo area minus TPS, which would only show a larger degree of loss, have 1,000 less boys in the pool of possible participants over a 8 year period.

TPS numbers are not available but I expect them to be pretty bad. TPS should be looking to consolidate now rather than waiting for an economic downturn which will make everything much more painful (Columbus City Schools is doing this).

Vouchers can only carry the Catholic schools so far (Stritch -57%, Central -41%, St. Johns -27%). The Catholic schools need tuition payers and they are going away fast. I do not see Stritch surviving much longer. Central will struggle over the next decade. Dempsey will shut the lights out on the way out the door.

Whitmer has been roughly the same size over the past 30 years. Sylvania City Schools have shown zero growth as well as Northview gained 11% while Southview declined by 11%.

Outside of Perrysburg, The greater Toledo area is bleeding. I could not find OHSAA numbers from before 2015 but if we could go back further the decline would show as even worse.

Last edited: