Mentor Football 2024

You’re probably thinking of 2019, and Mentor DID go on to beat us twice that year (also by one point in a regional final thriller). I’ll go to my grave thinking that 2019 Ed’s team was the best in the state, but Luke Floriea would not let it be. One-man wrecking crew that kid.
Yep thats the game. Floriea was a hell of a basketball player too. I was also thinking in my head as I made the post "didnt they win again by 1 in the playoffs?" I just think Eds might be operating at a different level now. I keep hearing about this incoming dropoff but Ill wait to see it with my own two eyes. Say you beat Eds week 3 then God Bless you when you see them again in Novemeber lol

Yep thats the game. Floriea was a hell of a basketball player too. I was also thinking in my head as I made the post "didnt they win again by 1 in the playoffs?" I just think Eds might be operating at a different level now. I keep hearing about this incoming dropoff but Ill wait to see it with my own two eyes. Say you beat Eds week 3 then God Bless you when you see them again in Novemeber lol
There will be some “drop off” with the QB, Mason, Sullivan, OL and Thomas graduating. But their floor is still making it to the regional making their ceiling clearly another trophy. Of course they’ll reload but the next man up won’t be as experienced and possibly a little less talented. Still a heckuva floor though.

IMO, the two best teams that Mentor has beaten in the playoffs are 2012 St Ignatius and 2019 St Edward.

Triv's ability to beat really good Ignatius/Eds teams was by far his biggest on field accomplishment. Mentor was the thing between those teams and a probable state championship on a few occasions (2012 St Ignatius, 2013 St Edward, 2017 St Ignatius, and 2019 St Edward). Beating both of them in the same playoffs (2012, 2013, 2017) on three different occasions is unbelievable.

I miss those days. Yes, Triv was a factor. But the QB talent on those teams (Trubisky, Krizancic, Tatarunas, Kipp) was top tier. The receiver talent (Krizancic, Fritts, Daugherty, Floriea) was also top tier. Mentor's offense was just a machine during those years. Hoping that 2024 will be a step much closer to that with the returning talent.

@UnDone and @Cardgrad90

Do you have any idea on potential defensive starters for this year ?
This is not the ultimate guide, but if we use the two deep from the last game notes, we can get an educated guess at the frontrunners.

DE: Julian Solis Class of 2025 (returning starter)
DT: Chase Coleman 2026
DE: Logan Holland 2026
LB: Spencer Baringer 2025 (returning starter)
LB: Caiden Clair 2025 (returning starter)
LB: Joey Weigel 2026
LB: ?
CB: Xavyion Dunn 2026 (returning starter)
CB: Tyler Stapleton 2025
FS: Drew Morgan 2026
SS: Gavin Briggs 2025

I feel like the front seven will be solid, probably no step back from 2023. I would be shocked if the secondary could meet the talent and production we saw in 2023. Graham was very dependable in coverage. Shelley/Markowski made the safeties the strongest overall unit on the team. They are incredibly difficult to replace. There were games where those two looked like the best players on the field for Mentor on either side of the ball.

I have no knowledge of where this kid could play, but I would like to believe someone like Marcus Sierputowski could switch over to defense and be an effective safety based on his athleticism and his knack for physicality/defense in basketball.

This is not the ultimate guide, but if we use the two deep from the last game notes, we can get an educated guess at the frontrunners.

I feel like the front seven will be solid, probably no step back from 2023. I would be shocked if the secondary could meet the talent and production we saw in 2023. Graham was very dependable in coverage. Shelley/Markowski made the safeties the strongest overall unit on the team. They are incredibly difficult to replace. There were games where those two looked like the best players on the field for Mentor on either side of the ball.

I have no knowledge of where this kid could play, but I would like to believe someone like Marcus Sierputowski could switch over to defense and be an effective safety based on his athleticism and his knack for physicality/defense in basketball.
This is a solid starting point to consider. Lots will happen between now, summer camps, and the start of the 2024 season of course. There are a couple of 2026 backers who can fill that open slot; Wolke and Schenk being the likely two.

DE is open for discussion as I have heard talk of moving a backer to that spot based on some speed over Holland. Holland is big and tough, but not sure of his speed for pursuit of the QB. Also, Logan Mitchell 2026 is available for DE.

It would be great to see some other options for CB and the safety positions. Sierputowski may be one to consider, but not sure of his hitting and tackling.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Mentor is headed back in the right direction. Football is definitely more interesting when they're slaying the giants!

Rooting for the Cards to have a big year!
Thanks Worm! I see the Raiders got your guy to coach so all is on the rise for you guys!

The days of Mentor and WGH both near the top of Region 1 were some very fun years. And it was indicative of the elite depth that Region 1 had in those early 2000’s.

Thanks Worm! I see the Raiders got your guy to coach so all is on the rise for you guys!

The days of Mentor and WGH both near the top of Region 1 were some very fun years. And it was indicative of the elite depth that Region 1 had in those early 2000’s.

A culture change is definitely on the way!

Definitely miss the old days. Things were much different back then.

Any Idea of offensive line replacements for the two graduated seniors, Im hearing Ben Mcwilliams just wondering who else replaces the other starter.

What is the projected offense for this season?
QB: Scotty Fox Class of 2025*
RB: Mason Coughlin 2025
WR: Austin Van Huss 2025*
WR: Justen Hodge 2026*
WR: Grant Cerny 2025*
WR: Marcus Sierputowski 2025*
LT: Landry Brede 2026*
LG:
C:
RG: Berk Demicri 2025*
RT: Jo Jo LoDuca 2026*

The following returning linemen were in the two deep in the playoff game: Colin Pritchard (6'4, 210 2026), Gabe LaSpina (6', 240 2026), Ben McWilliams (5'9, 200 2025), Tim Elly (5'11, 230 2025), Gibril McClendon (6'2, 240 2026)

*Returning Starter

Eight returning starters on offense. Four of them (Fox, Hodge, Brede, LoDuca) are players with multiple DI offers. One RB (Coughlin) that would've been a projected starter in 2023 if not for a season ending injury before the season. A bunch of lineman competing for two spots. Offense should be in very good shape in terms of talent. Let's see how the rest goes.

QB: Scotty Fox Class of 2025*
RB: Mason Coughlin 2025
WR: Austin Van Huss 2025*
WR: Justen Hodge 2026*
WR: Grant Cerny 2025*
WR: Marcus Sierputowski 2025*
LT: Landry Brede 2026*
LG:
C:
RG: Berk Demicri 2025*
RT: Jo Jo LoDuca 2026*

The following returning linemen were in the two deep in the playoff game: Colin Pritchard (6'4, 210 2026), Gabe LaSpina (6', 240 2026), Ben McWilliams (5'9, 200 2025), Tim Elly (5'11, 230 2025), Gibril McClendon (6'2, 240 2026)

*Returning Starter

Eight returning starters on offense. Four of them (Fox, Hodge, Brede, LoDuca) are players with multiple DI offers. One RB (Coughlin) that would've been a projected starter in 2023 if not for a season ending injury before the season. A bunch of lineman competing for two spots. Offense should be in very good shape in terms of talent. Let's see how the rest goes.
Shaping up to be an offense reminiscent of years past. I remember being impressed by the sophomore Coughlin a few years ago. His addition back to the lineup should provide a nice balance to the offense which, by all means, should be very good through the air.

Shaping up to be an offense reminiscent of years past. I remember being impressed by the sophomore Coughlin a few years ago. His addition back to the lineup should provide a nice balance to the offense which, by all means, should be very good through the air.
It has the talent makings of that. The line across the board has to elevate two steps from a season ago. The two tackles were just sophomores, so hopefully a year later they will be able to impose their will.

Coughlin and the receivers aren’t at the level of some past skill players (Floriea, Fritts, Daugherty, Krizancic, Harper) but they are good. Hodge could be as good as just about any of them. We shall see.

To me, the offense rests and falls on Coach Gray, who is also offensive coordinator, and Fox. Need better schemes and results out of the offense from the coaching staff.

As for Fox, he has had a nice two year run. But that won’t be good enough. He will need to be a top 2-3 QB in Ohio for Mentor to win the region. On paper and in the recruiting cycle, he has the talent to do it.

sorry for the delay @MentorGrad2002 just catching up.

I’m right on point with @cardzfan1234 here.

Coleman has gotten huge compared last year, I saw him at the store the other day, he has put on a lot of muscle and will be a force.

I would add Carson Wolk (26) next year as a potential LB starter. Big and strong, played JV last year and gets to the ball with bad intentions ,

I have heard that Cam Taylor (25) who was a good JV corner two years ago (and didn’t play his Jr year for some reason ) is playing again as a SR next year. Good speed and good Instincts from what I remember.

Our front 7 will be solid. Our DB’s are the ? Dunn is very fast and got a lot of time last year as a Sophmore , so he can really step up and be A big time player there.

Any Idea of offensive line replacements for the two graduated seniors, Im hearing Ben Mcwilliams just wondering who else replaces the other starter.
@cardzfan1234 again nailed it in his offense lineup post from what I was thinking going into the year.

I think Ben is your center. He is undersized to be sure , but anyone who has seen this kid wrestle knows that he doesn’t think he is. He is physical, violent , consistent and size Held him back a bit from playing time last year , he will be a very good center either way IMHO.

LG I have no idea.

I wouldn’t mind Lake vs Mentor. Agree with a few others that Mentor doesn’t have a ton to gain, but we don’t really have a ton to gain from a few out of conference games we have picked up over the years.

Just cant help but think what would this Mentor team look like with a few of those Mentor Kids .. :)

Cross Nimmo
Patrick Radigan
Josh Styles at RB last year..

Imagine
Vanhuss 6’2” 190 at Z
Cross Nimmo 6’6” 210 at X
Hodge 6” 200 at H
Radigan 6” 175 at Y

Scotty at QB. With 3 returning linemen ..
multiple packages with Cerny and Serpitowski rotating in dare I say run a Pro style TE package with Nimmo ?!?

coughlin at RB with Farley / Burns packages

Dang ….who do you cover ? Where would you focus ?

To be clear this is just commentary on private school football. I think we will be very good on offense. But it’s a fun mental exercise to imagine the flexibility of kids that live in mentor if they played here.

Ok I’m done. Carry on.

To be clear this is just commentary on private school football. I think we will be very good on offense. But it’s a fun mental exercise to imagine the flexibility of kids that live in mentor if they played here.

Ok I’m done. Carry on.
Unless those kids played MS or freshman football at Mentor, then I wouldn’t consider them “lost.” If they were private school in elementary and middle school, I don’t really wonder “what if” since their families clearly prioritize a different educational experience than what public school has.

There was a time when that was an issue where kids would go to Mentor schools K-8 and then go to Lake for high school. Under Triv, that clearly changed as the two programs went in radically different directions starting in the early 2000’s following Lake’s state title.

Unless those kids played MS or freshman football at Mentor, then I wouldn’t consider them “lost.” If they were private school in elementary and middle school, I don’t really wonder “what if” since their families clearly prioritize a different educational experience than what public school has.

There was a time when that was an issue where kids would go to Mentor schools K-8 and then go to Lake for high school. Under Triv, that clearly changed as the two programs went in radically different directions starting in the early 2000’s following Lake’s state title.
That is fair. Just interesting to think about.

I wouldn’t mind Lake vs Mentor. Agree with a few others that Mentor doesn’t have a ton to gain, but we don’t really have a ton to gain from a few out of conference games we have picked up over the years.

Just cant help but think what would this Mentor team look like with a few of those Mentor Kids .. :)

Cross Nimmo
Patrick Radigan
Josh Styles at RB last year..

Imagine
Vanhuss 6’2” 190 at Z
Cross Nimmo 6’6” 210 at X
Hodge 6” 200 at H
Radigan 6” 175 at Y

Scotty at QB. With 3 returning linemen ..
multiple packages with Cerny and Serpitowski rotating in dare I say run a Pro style TE package with Nimmo ?!?

coughlin at RB with Farley / Burns packages

Dang ….who do you cover ? Where would you focus ?

Ok I’m done. Carry on.
The only way the first three would be considered a "loss" is if they went to Ed's or Ignatius instead of Lake. They were Catholic school kids who were never going to Mentor.

Why have two people put “lost” or “loss” in quotes. Never said that in my post. Mentor would just be a stronger program is all. Never said they should have gone or we lost them… just fun to play a little fantasy football with high school rosters some times.

Dang that is what this board should do .. lake county fantasy football league …. 🤣

Why have two people put “lost” or “loss” in quotes. Never said that in my post. Mentor would just be a stronger program is all. Never said they should have gone or we lost them… just fun to play a little fantasy football with high school rosters some times.

Dang that is what this board should do .. lake county fantasy football league …. 🤣
Yeah, I understand. It is just a mental exercise, a fantasy "What if?"

What would Mentor do with a 6'6 tight end? Personally, I have been calling for the development of that for a while. When we watch how the tight is a big time game changer in college and the NFL, I can't help but wonder what it would do at Mentor. You have to have the right athlete with the right coaching. Being a tight end in football is hardly the most complicated position though. You just need a big athlete with decent hands willing to hit a little and take a hit when needed.

They sort of tried it a little with Schenk in 2022, although not a traditional TE look it was more of a wing , and he was not that tall for sure, I liked it though. Before he got hurt I feel like our offense was clicking. He scored a TD in the flats right before hurting his ankle that year.

I could see them doing something like that with Farley this year if Coughlin has earned the TB spot.

Usually the taller guys we have mentor likes to thicken them up and turn them into OT’s or DE’s (Vernon) because they like to pull them across from time to time

Yeah, I understand. It is just a mental exercise, a fantasy "What if?"

What would Mentor do with a 6'6 tight end? Personally, I have been calling for the development of that for a while. When we watch how the tight is a big time game changer in college and the NFL, I can't help but wonder what it would do at Mentor. You have to have the right athlete with the right coaching. Being a tight end in football is hardly the most complicated position though. You just need a big athlete with decent hands willing to hit a little and take a hit when needed.
Triv was all about playing "10 personnel" with 4 WRs, 1 RB and no TE.

Based on what? From 97-2019, he went empty sets on less than 5% of snaps. So your theory is far from reality.
How did you get that data? If you’re right, I’m impressed. My observation is based on the 2008-2015ish era. Trubisky era and slightly beyond. If you have the data than I must be incorrect and apologize…

How did you get that data? If you’re right, I’m impressed. My observation is based on the 2008-2015ish era. Trubisky era and slightly beyond. If you have the data than I must be incorrect and apologize…
I have no specific data on the number of snaps, just a general observation as someone who went to the majority of the games.

2008-2010 Mentor was way more likely to have two back sets than an empty set. This was a rare era where Mentor relied on the ground game a ton behind Tom Worden, Mike Korecz, and Ricky Hanzlik. In 2008, Worden was 2nd Team All-Ohio. 2009: 1st Team All-District for Korecz. 2010: 2nd Team All-Ohio for Korecz. The QB play and receiver depth wasn’t as strong, so Triv adapted and used a ton of two back sets over these three years.

2011 was the lone “5 wide” season. That happened. I think you’re putting your original comment based on one season. Trubisky as a junior was making the offense work, until a tough St Ignatius defense and very windy conditions got in his way.

From 2012-2019, Mentor stayed with their traditional four WR, one RB set. All-District backs like Nick DeLisa (2012), Eddie Daugherty (2013), Alex Mathews (2014-2015), Isaiah Gullick (2016), Chris Edmond (2017), and Brian Trobel (2018-2019) wouldn’t have gotten the carries, production, or recognition they got if Triv utilized five wide. Ask anyone who watched the 2017 playoff run and they will point to the use of Eli McDougal as the difference maker for the team as he put back to back 100+ yard efforts in upset wins over Eds/Ignatius. There’s my data.