McKinley High School football head coach Marcus Wattley, seven assistant coaches suspended

on the contrary sir, the lawyer deal has parts of the deposition framed to make his argument (by the way this is the first time I have seen deposition dropped on facebook - kinda makes him look like he is grasping) the rep article really has more from the student than anyone else. Direct quotes from the student and that is why I say look to the article. Kid admitted they didn't know previous, but that he told them there and then. He also said he didn't hear any offer about chicken.....so whatever.

Those coaches were yelling and swearing at the kid. Too many kids there have let that be known.

Really read what you want, think what you know is truth. I could give two snaps about the religion stuff personally. I think the conduct of the event is the real shame and it is what ultimately cost them their spots of employment at CCS.

Oh well, I didn't think the former HC was that great anyhow, not in comparison to Reardon. TBH the more I hear from kids about that former HC and the fellas he brought with him - the better off McK is but that truth will never get published in the paper or a lawyer dropping it on the book.
We are to believe what the player “said” to the reporter and was “reported” in the newspaper versus what the player testified to under oath. The attorney is not grasping at all…he is trying to get the truth out there because of all the false reporting that he been out there.

Do you really believe that other coaches don’t yell and swear at their players? Their conduct is not what cost them their jobs. It was the false narrative around the religious nature of what happened and the rush to judgement by so many. Duke lacrosse ring any bells?

Not sure what players you talk to…but plenty of players have come forward in support of the coach. Go watch the school board meetings. The best player on the team (Mani Powell) didn’t even play his senior season because of how the coach was treated.

CCS better get ready to write a big check.

Did you read both? Not sure the argument holds up either way. seemed he is saying same thing in both, just with the lawyers take - he is leaving other parts of the deposition out. Like I said he is only using bits and parts to make his case, which is what he is supposed to do. The rep allows the article to tell the student's side more.

The Powell kid was influenced by one of the coaches(a MCK guy, not an akron guy). I have spoke to quite a few student athletes. Seemed the HC's brother was not popular with any. The statement of non renewal spoke in regards to the incident and CCS won't be writing any checks because the super and boe part of the suit has already been thrown out???

None of what I say is a secret if you are casually reading what is reported in the paper.
I am betting more of it gets tossed out and the coaches filing end up paying court costs, but as far as CCS goes - they are off the hook as they acted within their right to nonrenew a limited contract.
Yet there was an offer to settle in mediation. Why offer to settle if you’ve done nothing wrong?

You can say what you want about Mani (great kid). He was very vocal about how he felt about this and how he felt his coach was wronged. To say he was influenced is an insult to his character and integrity.

Gotta love the "coaches used to get away with abusing children so this isn't a big deal" argument.
First off, I said hazing, not coaches abuse. But if you think forcing a kid to eat a pizza that he stripped of the pepperoni AND cheese himself and he may or may not have gotten it all off are abuse you have no argument.

I've said all along this whole thing is a joke in our litigious society. Come back when all is said and done and hopefully it will all be public information.

First off, I said hazing, not coaches abuse. But if you think forcing a kid to eat a pizza that he stripped of the pepperoni AND cheese himself and he may or may not have gotten it all off are abuse you have no argument.
Most football coaches are half Nuts. Don’t they have anything better to do then make a kid eat a pizza. I get the initiation stuff or team bonds or whatever it was suppose to be. Coaches if you don’t understand, if you fart sideways, you may lose your job. Political correctness will get most of us if your a public figure. Sad. So Sad. And I don’t have a Dog in the fight.

the rep has an article that includes statements from the player saying he told them no several times. This attorney is a nut.
This attorney who is a nut just got the judge to dismiss all the claims against his clients. What a great day for Coach Wattley and his assistants. Yet another rush to judgment by so many. More to come here as well.

He still punished and humiliated a kid for missing a voluntary workout which is still grounds for firing.

I’ve said from the beginning, Wattley deserved to be fired but that does not make him a bad person. One act doesn’t determine who you are as a person.

So there's three possibilities as I see it.

1. The Canton BOE completely missed the mark on the hate crime end of this (they still should have all been fired for the hazing)
2. Gilbert miserably failed to prep this kid for the depo
3. The kid threw the depo because he's tired of the circus
3. It wouldn't be the first time the kid quit.