Division I State Semifinal: Upper Arlington (14-0) vs St. Edward (13-1)

Who wins?

• Upper Arlington by 17+

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Upper Arlington by 8-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upper Arlington by 1-7

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 34 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some notes:

(1) Gresock is a really good RB. He's legimately really good. Runs really hard, good vision, nice burst and good overall speed. He's legit.
(2) Cannon (#1) and Mazzaferi (#3) are good WRs. Cannon, in particular, is a legit really good WR.
(3) Monnin is a nice QB. Nothing great, but he makes enough throws to give UA balances attack.
(4) Their OL was mostly whipped by PC's stellar DL. Gresock probably had 4 or 5 chunk gains but was mostly running into a wall. His 106 yards on 29 carries was a hard man's work. Monnin basically had 1.5 seconds tops if he was in a straight drop back. On sprint roll outs they looked better.
(5) Their DL is fast but a little undersized. But, they don't need them to be dominant -- just take up blockers and maybe shoot a gap. Their LBs are really good. And, I think their secondary is pretty good, too.
(6) As noted, Buttermore is a really good coach. They play clean, clean football. PC was vastly more talented, but PC was not a well-coached team (IMO) and UA really is. And even then, they needed most calls to go their way to pull it out -- well, I guess they also had bad day kicking which would have won things for them in regulation.

My expectations:

(1) UA will have a little more success running the ball against Ed's, but it's maybe the difference from 4.0 ypc to 4.5 ypc. That maybe gets you an extra first down or two on a drive, but it doesn't ultimately mean that many more points.
(2) UA will probably pass about as well against PC -- which is to say, middling. I watching some of the Ed's-Medina game, and I was pretty impressed with Ed's coverage players.
(3) UA's defense will probably slow down Ed's more than you think they will. Again, from only watching the Medina game, it seems like Ed's has a good OL and a nice back, but it seems like they actually run RPO a bunch (unlike PC). If Ed's has an effective RPO game they can probably neutralize UA's LBs -- who are really the best part of the defense. I think that happens, so I think they probably move the ball fairly effectively.
(4) UA won't get bullied or dominated physically. PC's OL is ridiculously big and their DL is just plain ridiculous. UA was definitely having trouble with their DL, but they managed to mostly hold up against the OL power game.

That said, I have Ed's at about 10-17 points. I'd say probably something like 31-14 or 38-21. Maybe 31-21.
Solid synopsis 416: Will add a few additional comments.

1. Greesock (5 "10" 220 lbs) hits the hole fast and does not shy from contact he looks to initiate it, arm tackling wont work. Good top end speed if he gets to the second level.
2. Both receivers have great hands and not track fast but great route runners and have Game Speed.
3. QB Monnin has thrown for over 2K maybe 30 Td's to 3 picks. Would be showcased more it the run game was not so strong.
4. Overall very balanced run/pass. Offensive Coordinator calls a good game & does a great job of breaking tendencies.
5. D-typically show a 3-4-4 but will walk a backer up to show 4-4. Have not seen any 50 shade type looks but really have not needed a 5 man front... Linebackers get down hill and fill gaps fast.
6. D-Line a little undersized but make up for it with quickness and physicality (couple wrestler up front).
7. LB play is very solid like I stated above they get down hill fast, play gap sound and are a physical bunch.. Had their hands full with PC 245lb RB last week but stopped him on several short yardage plays and a big stop on 4th & goal from the 1.
8. DB's are all very athletic cover well and will come up and hit.

Breakdown of Ed's? Have not seen them at all this year. Looking forward to a hard fought game Friday.

1. Greesock (5 "10" 220 lbs) hits the hole fast and does not shy from contact he looks to initiate it, arm tackling wont work. Good top end speed if he gets to the second level.
2. Both receivers have great hands and not track fast but great route runners and have Game Speed.
3. QB Monnin has thrown for over 2K maybe 30 Td's to 3 picks. Would be showcased more it the run game was not so strong.
4. Overall very balanced run/pass. Offensive Coordinator calls a good game & does a great job of breaking tendencies.
5. D-typically show a 3-4-4 but will walk a backer up to show 4-4. Have not seen any 50 shade type looks but really have not needed a 5 man front... Linebackers get down hill and fill gaps fast.
6. D-Line a little undersized but make up for it with quickness and physicality (couple wrestler up front).
7. LB play is very solid like I stated above they get down hill fast, play gap sound and are a physical bunch.. Had their hands full with PC 245lb RB last week but stopped him on several short yardage plays and a big stop on 4th & goal from the 1.

Breakdown of Ed's? Have not seen them at all this year. Looking forward to a hard fought game Friday.

Ed’s DLine up front won’t be as physically imposing as PC DLine, but they are extremely well coached and play much harder and more disciplined. Their 2 DEs (kilbane and Gedeon) are very good- D1 kids, both jrs. I’m sure the interior guys are wrestlers lol. LBs are tough and very good tacklers. Secondary is solid and well disciplined. I’m looking forward to Gresock and MLB Freer-Brown meeting in the hole.

offensively- be ready to account for QB Ramos running- he’s an excellent runner (has gotten better as a passer). They are nasty with Read, Power Read, etc. Rb can run and catch it out of the backfield- OLine is big and physical. PC was a good test for UA, not sure if EDs has the star power of a PC, but they have plenty of dudes- they are much better coached and won’t beat themselves

Thing that helps UA is their Offense if very balanced. The RB gets the credit, they throw it very well. Outside of Moeller (?), this O will be the most balanced they’ve seen

Thanks but link does not work as I am not a subscriber. FYI- I know who you are and have for years from the Wrestling forums. Hint Our kids were on the same Wresting team, Your Kid was a two time State placer, whereas mine was only a two time State Qualifier and two years younger than yours. Also you sat right in front of me at the game last week. No need to mention my name on here, I dislike social media but enjoy this site. Yup guessing you most likely will be sitting with me & the other wrestling dad and the same group of folks this Friday. HA HA

Thing that helps UA is their Offense if very balanced. The RB gets the credit, they throw it very well. Outside of Moeller (?), this O will be the most balanced they’ve seen
Balanced for sure, but we can we play at the same intensity as last week? It will be needed to be in this game.

Thanks but link does not work as I am not a subscriber. FYI- I know who you are and have for years from the Wrestling forums. Hint Our kids were on the same Wresting team, Your Kid was a two time State placer, whereas mine was only a two time State Qualifier and two years younger than yours. Also you sat right in front of me at the game last week. No need to mention my name on here, I dislike social media but enjoy this site. Yup guessing you most likely will be sitting with me & the other wrestling dad and the same group of folks this Friday. HA HA
I'm not a member either. But it comes up. And yes, see you Friday.

UA will represent central Ohio, their town and their school in a great way. I don’t believe for one minute St. Ed’s is going to run away with this one. If the kids are as sure as their fans are that this will be an easy win then the Eagles will be in for a big surprise.
The St. Ed's fans are not the ones predicting the Eagles will walk away with the game, it is the other posters. The St. Ed's fans are happy to be back in the state semi-finals and know that any team playing at this time of year is a solid tough team. I'm looking forward to a great football game on Friday and hoping the best for my Eagles.

UA does have a very good offense which is diverse. PC has one of the biggest and one of the best back 7's in the state and UA struggled like every other team did against them. The PC offense was stagnant this year which did help UA. UA's defense was just good enough to go get them here. Ed's offense is much better than PC. Rooting for UA and it could be more of a battle than most think, at least for awhile. I just feel Ed's has too many horses. UA coach Buttermore gets everything he can out of his players and should be the division 1 coach of the year. UA will bring it but I will go with Ed's by 34 to 21. Of course anything can happen so.....

Best wishes to both teams for a hard fought clean and injury free ballgame! Pulling for UA but they will have to play a near perfect ballgame! St Eds is very well coached but UA is as well!!

If you want to read a cleveland.com story that is for "subscribers only" just copy the headline and paste it into google.

It should come up and you can read the whole thing without a subscription.

Going to be a great hard fought game. High school football at this time of the year is the best entertainment buck you can spend, $10 bucks for this game is a great deal. Looking forward to the ride to Mansfield.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!

If you want to read a cleveland.com story that is for "subscribers only" just copy the headline and paste it into google.

It should come up and you can read the whole thing without a subscription.
I tried, it doesn't work. It says exclusive rights and wants me to subscribe.

Columbus Dispatch predictions

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-175350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-175350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 42
Still stand by it.

Not a slight against UA. Eds is better, by a lot.
At this time in the year, people from all over the state tend to start getting upset when their team isn’t talked about as much as if everyone on this site are college scouts. Happens every year around the playoffs. No disrespect to any school, just realize people base opinions solely on the schools they know the most about.

At this time in the year, people from all over the state tend to start getting upset when their team isn’t talked about as much as if everyone on this site are college scouts. Happens every year around the playoffs. No disrespect to any school, just realize people base opinions solely on the schools they know the most about.
Agree. I'm just giving my opinion.

In fact, I think the Eagles will roll in the title game too. We'll see how it all shakes out.

The team Buttermore took down to the wire that year was Ttrotwood Madison, who during the regular seaosn beat Pick Central, who was the D1 state champ that year. Buttermore can flat out coach. That said, I think Eds wins this.
All I can say is UA runs an offense where they like to run between 60-65 percent of the time (has a 2000 yard rusher) with a hard-nosed defense that flys to the ball. Their coach Dustin Buttermore is a defensive guru who over the years has had signature postseason wins as a underdog. In the 2017 season he led a 5 seeded Tri-Valley to the D-3 state championship game where they were a possession away from taking the game into overtime. I know preparing for St Eds is a very daunting task but I expect Buttermore to have his team lock in ready to go.

The team Buttermore took down to the wire that year was Ttrotwood Madison, who during the regular seaosn beat Pick Central, who was the D1 state champ that year. Buttermore can flat out coach. That said, I think Eds wins this.
I watched the replay of the UA v. Pic game on Spectrum. I was very impressed with UA's discipline, execution and coaching. They are the real deal. If you fall asleep on that team you will lose.
I think most knowledgeable Eds fans at the start of the year would have said that this wasn't one of Eds stronger teams. The best class is arguably the sophomore class. Nevertheless, these seniors (and juniors) have exceeded all expectations and have worked themselves into the position where they now can win it all. They will have to play mistake free football. Eds OL and DL lines are playing very well right now and they have the size to match up with anyone. The unknown factor is the R1 v R2 competition. Who really played the tougher schedule? Who was really challenged over 14 weeks? I'm biased to R1 because I know the teams, but I'd be an idiot to dismiss a well coached team from R2 that is 14-0 and hungry for a title as well.

Last edited:
Good comment and I agree, but the same can be said for ST ED’s Does their fan base really know a thing outside of their schedule, their geographic area or morse so about the OCC teams or UA?