Battle of Pickerington.

Maybe the ugliset game Offensively in this rivalry. I saw the video after North kicked the FG and was disgusted but how Pick North reacted to the the upset win. I saw a lot of running around and some taunting, deserved or not, by North players directed at Centrals sideline. Be excited for the win but you do not need to run over toward your opponent and rub it in there face. Remember, if these two teams play again in the playoffs, I know Pick Central will remember this ending. Seems like there is true hatred between these two and possibly some jealously toward Central because of there success.

PN congrats on the win no matter how ugly it looked.

Maybe the ugliset game Offensively in this rivalry. I saw the video after North kicked the FG and was disgusted but how Pick North reacted to the the upset win. I saw a lot of running around and some taunting, deserved or not, by North players directed at Centrals sideline. Be excited for the win but you do not need to run over toward your opponent and rub it in there face. Remember, if these two teams play again in the playoffs, I know Pick Central will remember this ending. Seems like there is true hatred between these two and possibly some jealously toward Central because of there success.

PN congrats on the win no matter how ugly it looked.
I don't disagree with you, but PC is not exactly famous for their class and sportsmanship.

PC is probably 3 TDs better than PN, but that would require that the Tigers play to WIN, not to 'not lose'. As a PN fan too, I'm happy for them and hope that the win will be a springboard for getting them in the playoffs.

But that PN offense... just simply HORRIFIC.

I was bummed last night but as a Tiger fan this is deja vu all over again. Feels like it did in 2019 Groveport.

Hate to lose any game (especially this one) but this will humble and refocus the team. They’ll learn from the loss and be better to in the long run.

I don't disagree with you, but PC is not exactly famous for their class and sportsmanship.
I've only seen PC play once so obviously I don't know them very well. But for what it's worth I thought in their game against Massillon the team, coaches and fans demonstrated very good sportsmanship. Better than most teams we play.

I was outside the gate as PC was exiting to their locker room. I can assure you that there was no shortage of 4 and 5 letter expletives coming from the mouths of the players directed at PN. The outcome was unexpected. PC literally won every offensive statistical category. PN barely cracked 100yds. The talk around me post game was that Sharett mismanaged the last 3 minutes and Hillerich mismanaged the first 45. Not saying that I agree, but that was the dialogue that I overheard. Either way, a wins a win. And until something changes PN wears the ? in this town. The PN defense played well. Made huge plays when needed. It was just one of those games. And PN found a way to win.....

One Goal.Beat Central. Now it’s time to turn the page and see the bigger picture.Offense will need to produce but with a kicker showcasing ability to deliver in the clutch ,field goal position isn’t a far cry for help.
When it gets cold in Ohio you better show up with the best defense on the field come playoff time.

Great game by both teams and a great defensive talent showcase in the state of Ohio.

I usually don't post, but I want to put my two cents in. I'm a long time PC fan and I've seen this movie a million times. The Tigers have a ton of talent, but coaching has always been a problem. Sharrett never adjusts to the kinds of talents that he has from year to year. He had one of the fastest kids in the state last year, but threw more long passes to his defensive linemen than to Styles. This year he's trying to run the same offense he ran with Coker, Crenshaw, and Wallace. Mantooth isn't that kind of quarertback. He's a pocket passer with a good but not great arm. I don't understand why they try to roll him out (especially to the left) to make difficult throws. Play to the kid's strengths! The offense looks like he is using Tom Brady to run the triple option. Also, you don't have to have a bunch of playmakers if you have a good passing strategy. Sharrett needs to get some ideas from other coaches if he can't figure it out. Finally, his clock management is terrible.

Last edited:
Mantooth is talented and the way he moves in the pocket shows he has a good feel for the game. Ohio coaches are old school and/or call old school plays but kids these days are talented enough to open the playbook. A few missed throws from him sure but they were there all night and could of changed the game.

I usually don't post, but I want to put my two cents in.. I'm a long time PC fan and I've seen this movie a million times. The Tigers have a ton of talent, but coaching has always been a problem. Starrett never adjusts to the kinds of talents that has from year to year. He had one of the fastest kids in the state last year, but threw more long passes to his defensive linemen than to Styles. This year he's trying to run the.same offense he ran with Coker, Crenshaw, and Wallace. Mantooth isn't that kind of quartback. He's a pocket passer with a good but not great arm. I don't understand why they try to roll him out (especially to the jeft) to make difficult throws. Play to the kid's strengths! The offense looks like he is using Tom Brady to run the triple option. Also, you don't have to have a bunch of playmakers if you have a good passing strategy. Starrett needs to get some ideas from other coaches if he can't figure it out. Finally, his clock management is terrible.
Spot on. Form a pocket for the kid and let him step up in to run. The east to west roll out is not his strength. I've watched it for 4 games and still not once has it completely worked. Pounding a square into a circle. This offense as constructed may make it out of region 3 but that will be it. The defense is phenomenal but can it be perfect? No
Gonna need some offense.

Spot on. Form a pocket for the kid and let him step up in to run. The east to west roll out is not his strength. I've watched it for 4 games and still not once has it completely worked. Pounding a square into a circle. This offense as constructed may make it out of region 3 but that will be it. The defense is phenomenal but can it be perfect? No
Gonna need some offense.
Mantooth looks more like Bernie Kosar running the ball -- he'll get you some yards (sometimes) when a play breaks down. But you would NEVER design a running play for him. The 3rd down and long, spread formation QB draw call just isn't that kid's strength. I'm sure Jay know that, but he's grown so risk-averse I don't think he'd ever call a pass play in an obvious passing situation. Maybe there just aren't any playmakers in the program. What I'm worried most about now is the RB's fumbling problems... We've seen him put the ball on the ground in pretty much every game - sometimes multiple times.

Battle of inept coaching on both sides of the field. Doing a disservice to a bunch of very good players on both teams. PC just needed to take a knee and punt on 4th down. North would get the ball back with like 35 seconds left. North doesn’t have a QB and didn’t move the ball the entire game. Instead they give it to a RB who fumbles 3-4 times/game. North strips it and runs it 50 yards for a TD. The Tiger TE can’t catch so when they pass, it’s 50/50 whether they catch it even if it hits them square in the hands. PC has a championship defense and a youth league offensive scheme.
Why is PC throwing to LB and DL type guys? You would think they would Line up the Style's kid on the out side since he is 6'4" 215lbs "all world" with a thousand offers from the media reports and throw the ball up to him and have him go get it. He is a basketball player! Don't see to many DB's if any matching up with his size. Seems like he a none factor .

Why is PC throwing to LB and DL type guys? You would think they would Line up the Style's kid on the out side since he is 6'4" 215lbs "all world" with a thousand offers from the media reports and throw the ball up to him and have him go get it. He is a basketball player! Don't see to many DB's if any matching up with his size. Seems like he a none factor .
Because he broke his leg freshman year and dad doesn’t want him getting hurt on O. He’s basically a decoy on O

Mantooth looks more like Bernie Kosar running the ball -- he'll get you some yards (sometimes) when a play breaks down. But you would NEVER design a running play for him. The 3rd down and long, spread formation QB draw call just isn't that kid's strength. I'm sure Jay know that, but he's grown so risk-averse I don't think he'd ever call a pass play in an obvious passing situation. Maybe there just aren't any playmakers in the program. What I'm worried most about now is the RB's fumbling problems... We've seen him put the ball on the ground in pretty much every game - sometimes multiple times.
This has been my impression of PC since (at least 2016)--they basically play the most basic, stilted, low-risk offensive scheme possible, and try to rely on superior talent and athleticism deployed in that basic scheme, to win (essentially, Colerain under Kerry Coombs)-- until things get sideways to the point that they HAVE to change and do something else-- at which point they are rarely well-versed or practiced enough at the other types of riskier (i.e.- pass) plays to actually execute them with any skill. It was pretty pathetic, when they got down early in the state title game last year-- there was NO Plan B, really.

Central fans = OSU fans... Sharrett is the best coach in Central OH. Amazing how everyone knows more than him after losing a game. Central will be just fine. Come November, I am sure they will still be playing. Looked to be an ESPN classic.

Central fans = OSU fans... Sharrett is the best coach in Central OH. Amazing how everyone knows more than him after losing a game. Central will be just fine. Come November, I am sure they will still be playing. Looked to be an ESPN classic.
Best coach-- or best attracter of talent? Said another way, if you gave another successful coach in Central Ohio the same players as PC, would that coach be likely to beat PC-- or not? I don't know who's considered good up there (I know HD's Brian White has a couple of state titles too-- but I thought he retired-- and he had a similar Stone Age offense to what PC runs-- so he's not exactly the guy to compare with, for innovation or sophistication)... What about the coaches at Maria Stein Marion Local and Coldwater-- they get it done with more sophistication than PC (albeit at a lower level)-- I'd sure like to see what those guys would do against Sharrett, if they had Sharrett's players.

I usually don't post, but I want to put my two cents in.. I'm a long time PC fan and I've seen this movie a million times. The Tigers have a ton of talent, but coaching has always been a problem. Sharrett never adjusts to the kinds of talents that he has from year to year. He had one of the fastest kids in the state last year, but threw more long passes to his defensive linemen than to Styles. This year he's trying to run the same offense he ran with Coker, Crenshaw, and Wallace. Mantooth isn't that kind of quartback. He's a pocket passer with a good but not great arm. I don't understand why they try to roll him out (especially to the jeft) to make difficult throws. Play to the kid's strengths! The offense looks like he is using Tom Brady to run the triple option. Also, you don't have to have a bunch of playmakers if you have a good passing strategy. Sharrett needs to get some ideas from other coaches if he can't figure it out. Finally, his clock management is terrible.
This was a headscratcher to me in the title game last year. They didn't make any effort to get the ball to Styles who was the only one even remotely effective in that game for them. They tried to bully X in the trenches in the style of Coombs era Colerain and generally that's not what you want to do. Many better Colerain teams have tried and failed. Speed, speed, speed. Styles only had a couple of touches in the first half and one of them nearly went to the house.

I think the 31-30 loss @ Lancaster in 2018 is really what still has Jay a bit psyched out when it comes to play calling. If you recall PC was comfortably ahead in the 4th Qtr and was moving down the field for another score when Crenshaw threw the ill-fated screen pass that resulted in a Gales' pick 6... Some people forget, but there was a time when Jay would always go for the jugular following a turnover - always capitalizing on the moment. Now we get a handoff up the middle for 2 yds... No matter, he's still the most successful coach in Central Ohio. I have faith that he'll get a little bit of that riverboat gambler back in him that he used to have. I still think PC will make it at least to the regional final.

I got no dog in the fight but I was at the game. I heard a lot of hype about this game and Pickerington Central so I had to check it out. I sat outside the fence of the stadium and had really good seats for what I paid. LoL

My observations are that both teams have great defenses with a lot of speed and both are aggressive. I’m a fan of aggressive defense not that sit back and read & react BS.

Both teams have weak offenses.There is talent but both played super close to the vest waiting for the other team to make a mistake. Pickerington Central made the killer mistake and that seems to be what Pickerington North was hoping for.

Both teams will be tough to beat in the post season because their defenses are so good. From personal experience good defense usually beats good offense in the post season especially in November when it’s cold,windy, and rainy. But neither team has what it takes to go deep because at some point you need to score and you need to be able to put the game away when you have control which Pickerington Central failed to do.

Prior to the game I didn’t know much or didn’t hear much about Pickerington North so I didn’t know what to expect.

I heard a lot about Pickerington Central. From what I heard their defensive line was supposed to be good and they are. They have size and speed and can be dominant.

I also heard the offensive line was supposed to be good and big. They aren’t just big they are huge but they don’t move well. With that size they should be blowing people off the ball but rarely did I see them get a push. For the most part it looked like a stalemate at the line of scrimmage. They might be better if they found smaller but more agile, mobile and hostile players up front.

I heard a lot about Sonny Styles being a five star recruit so I was really looking forward to seeing him in action. He didn’t really do anything to stand out. He’s big and fast and definitely a good player but I can’t remember hearing them call his name. He might have made a tackle or two but I was expecting him to be a big time play maker.

After the game a Pickerington fan or parent told me that the player who fumbled at the end had a fumbling problem all season. Is that true? I can’t imagine this kid is going to continue to run the ball after this is he?

Any good games coming up at home for either team? I’d like to try to catch them both again sometime.