Does the CDC have credibility in your eyes anymore?

14Red

I've had a long and pretty typical respect for the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for all of my life. But now that the past year occurred, I'll question about anything they come up with. To me, they seem to be more about controlling people and helping medical institutions make money than public safety. Anyone else feel this way?

I think the credibility of the CDC really took a hit the last year. Up until early 2020, I think most people felt the CDC was a good source and trusted the information that come out was good and down the middle. Not so much anymore. And this morning, yet another pro covid vaccine report states that over 99% of hospitalizations over the past month has been non-vaccinated patients. And they warn that those not vaccinated will be more susceptible to the Delta variant.
We went from nearly winning a lottery to get a covid vaccine in February, now you can get one if you go to any outdoor festival in the country.

EtJ_Vm-VcAAZlN4.jpg

The CDC needs to stop trying to manipulate people into getting them to behave the way they think they should behave and just get the information out, admit when they were/are wrong and provide context with their recommendations. And provide all the information. Also admit that they they really don't know much and at this time this is the best that they can say. If they were humble, stop being so manipulative and more transparent, they would have so much more credibility. But they treat the every day citizens like they are idiots and two year olds, so no one trusts them. Finally, all recommendations should be thought through in terms of all consequences so people know that they care about the complete health of the citizen. Closing down hospitals was just plain dumb.

The CDC needs to stop trying to manipulate people into getting them to behave the way they think they should behave and just get the information out, admit when they were/are wrong and provide context with their recommendations. And provide all the information. Also admit that they they really don't know much and at this time this is the best that they can say. If they were humble, stop being so manipulative and more transparent, they would have so much more credibility. But they treat the every day citizens like they are idiots and two year olds, so no one trusts them. Finally, all recommendations should be thought through in terms of all consequences so people know that they care about the complete health of the citizen. Closing down hospitals was just plain dumb.
Where were hospitals closed? As far as I am aware hospitals ended elective surgeries for a period of 4-5 months. The idea was if it is elective it is not critical or life saving so why bring people into the hospital and increase their chances of being exposed to the virus.

I agree that they needed to own the fact that they continued to learn about the virus and their recommendations changed as the facts or their knowledge changed.

Where were hospitals closed? As far as I am aware hospitals ended elective surgeries for a period of 4-5 months. The idea was if it is elective it is not critical or life saving so why bring people into the hospital and increase their chances of being exposed to the virus.

I agree that they needed to own the fact that they continued to learn about the virus and their recommendations changed as the facts or their knowledge changed.

No elective surgeries meant no revenue, rooms were emptied in anticipation, doctors and nurses laid off. Hospitals were all but dark minus their emergency rooms for almost five months. People delayed going to the doctor if they had issues.

I've had a long and pretty typical respect for the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for all of my life. But now that the past year occurred, I'll question about anything they come up with. To me, they seem to be more about controlling people and helping medical institutions make money than public safety. Anyone else feel this way?
Totally agree with this. CDC has zero credibility in my small mind

No elective surgeries meant no revenue, rooms were emptied in anticipation, doctors and nurses laid off. Hospitals were all but dark minus their emergency rooms for almost five months. People delayed going to the doctor if they had issues.
You do understand why the suspended elective surgeries? Covid was most easily spread in closed spaces occupied by those with compromised health. That is why nursing homes accounted for roughly one third of all Covid deaths. The spread of Covid in hospitals and nursing homes was difficult to slow due to asymptomatic people coming to work and unintentionally spreading the virus. Suspending elective surgeries was designed to reduce the number of people in a hospital who could have caught covid. There was certainly a significant economic impact however the decision was made to slow the spread of the virus and potential deaths of compromised individuals.

You do understand why the suspended elective surgeries? Covid was most easily spread in closed spaces occupied by those with compromised health. That is why nursing homes accounted for roughly one third of all Covid deaths. The spread of Covid in hospitals and nursing homes was difficult to slow due to asymptomatic people coming to work and unintentionally spreading the virus. Suspending elective surgeries was designed to reduce the number of people in a hospital who could have caught covid. There was certainly a significant economic impact however the decision was made to slow the spread of the virus and potential deaths of compromised individuals.
you do know how many people did not go to the doctor or hospital when they had serious symptoms right?