Regional updates

effit

Awesome that OHSAA added 2 additional at-large qualifiers. With the ebb and flow of competition level from each region, this is a great equalizer.

But it was painful having to wait on Tiffin and Chillocothe to post their results last night. If we cared about our sport, we would have finishtiming cover each region. After all, this is Regionals. Sort of a big deal right????

I agree that having realtime results should be expected. Particularly when "next two best" is the rule. And I agree that FinishTiming does a great job. But there are other companies that do a good job. TimingFirst has been timing region 3 for a while and they do a great job.

I'll also give props to Lightning Timing as well, who does our the results out of Region 2 (and our conference, and our district, and our relays...). JoAnn Kitchen has been an incredible, patient help to us in both spring and fall for a long time.

Interesting that at the Wayne Regional that Princeton was DQ'ed in the 4x100 relay for NOT checking in. The check-in tent was in a different location because it was a real tent (not a table) and needed to be secured for the weather.
- Moeller dropped their baton in their District prelims with the fastest time in the state.
- Princeton has the second-fastest time and gets DQ'ed.

At the D3 Perry regional last night, they announced the results of the top 8 teams in the girls 4x800 which I assume were prepared by FinishTiming. Here's the problem: the team they announced in 5th place was lapped. They were the 1st team to cross the finish line after the top 4 teams, but they still had another lap to go.

The start of the running events was delayed 15 minutes due to heavy rain. That announcement was made around 5:50. Unfortunately, the clerk must not have been made aware of that decision as the girls began walking from the bullpen a couple minutes before 6:00 only to be sent back to the bullpen while the heavy rain continued to fall. Once the rain subsided around 6:10, things were fine, but the track was wet for awhile.

Another interesting situation from the meet came from the boys PV. Somehow, 5 vaulters from the Norwayne district were listed on the heat sheet. There was a tie for 4th place at Norwayne, but someone didn't realize that there was a jump-off for the regional spot. Also, the pole vault didn't start until about the same time running started due to the weather. I didn't see it, but I was told that the original heat sheet had 17 jumpers listed for the boys HJ on Friday. Once again, there was a tie for 4th at Norwayne, and nobody noticed the difference between who won the jump off for the 4th qualifying spot and who didn't.

Biggest casualty on Wed. may have been Columbiana Crestview's boys 4x200 which had the 2nd fastest seed time. They dropped the baton. That will hurt their cause in the team standings.

Unfortunately, they're calling for more rain on Fri. from 8am to 6pm with the greatest chances coming at noon and 4pm as of now. The designation of rain changes to showers at 6pm, so maybe the running events won't have it as bad, but if it's raining too heavily, the field events might be delayed which will complicate things and affect some kids' performances. There could be a lot of cold wet kids out there, so some races may boil down to a simple case of who wants to be out there and who doesn't.

Last edited:
Thank God for the two extra qualifying spots. At the D2 regional at Lexington the fifth place finisher Gilmour’s thrower threw a 39-4.75 good enough to win two of the four regionals.

DQ'd for not checking in? What are these officials trying to prove by pulling this crap?
How about expecting teams to follow rules. Have to check relays in. Have to make sure names are on relay card. 15 out of 16 teams can seem to follow the rules, but it's the officials trying to prove something? Sorry, you have to check relay teams in. High school regionals, not 3rd grade community day fun run.

Interesting that at the Wayne Regional that Princeton was DQ'ed in the 4x100 relay for NOT checking in. The check-in tent was in a different location because it was a real tent (not a table) and needed to be secured for the weather.
- Moeller dropped their baton in their District prelims with the fastest time in the state.
- Princeton has the second-fastest time and gets DQ'ed.
With the state's top two teams being DQed, that leaves Canal Winchester with the top time of 42.09 which they ran at their regional prelims

Last edited:
Awesome that OHSAA added 2 additional at-large qualifiers. With the ebb and flow of competition level from each region, this is a great equalizer.

But it was painful having to wait on Tiffin and Chillocothe to post their results last night. If we cared about our sport, we would have finishtiming cover each region. After all, this is Regionals. Sort of a big deal right????
You were waiting until after the protest period before checking the results I assume. Since you care about the sport.

God forbid the results are correct. My children had to wait until Christmas morning to open their gifts. My neighbors had their kids open gifts Christmas eve.

In lieu of a regional podium, Fitch is having the regional scorers stand next to each other on the turf as their performances are announced. This is somehow supposed to help prevent the spread of COVID. Here's hoping we have a podium at the state meet.

God forbid the results are correct. My children had to wait until Christmas morning to open their gifts. My neighbors had their kids open gifts Christmas eve.
Amen to opening gifts Christmas Morning!!
What is the big hurry, State meet does not start till next Friday. We still have one day of Regional left.

At the D3 Perry regional last night, they announced the results of the top 8 teams in the girls 4x800 which I assume were prepared by FinishTiming. Here's the problem: the team they announced in 5th place was lapped. They were the 1st team to cross the finish line after the top 4 teams, but they still had another lap to go.

The start of the running events was delayed 15 minutes due to heavy rain. That announcement was made around 5:50. Unfortunately, the clerk must not have been made aware of that decision as the girls began walking from the bullpen a couple minutes before 6:00 only to be sent back to the bullpen while the heavy rain continued to fall. Once the rain subsided around 6:10, things were fine, but the track was wet for awhile.

Another interesting situation from the meet came from the boys PV. Somehow, 5 vaulters from the Norwayne district were listed on the heat sheet. There was a tie for 4th place at Norwayne, but someone didn't realize that there was a jump-off for the regional spot. Also, the pole vault didn't start until about the same time running started due to the weather. I didn't see it, but I was told that the original heat sheet had 17 jumpers listed for the boys HJ on Friday. Once again, there was a tie for 4th at Norwayne, and nobody noticed the difference between who won the jump off for the 4th qualifying spot and who didn't.

Biggest casualty on Wed. may have been Columbiana Crestview's boys 4x200 which had the 2nd fastest seed time. They dropped the baton. That will hurt their cause in the team standings.

Unfortunately, they're calling for more rain on Fri. from 8am to 6pm with the greatest chances coming at noon and 4pm as of now. The designation of rain changes to showers at 6pm, so maybe the running events won't have it as bad, but if it's raining too heavily, the field events might be delayed which will complicate things and affect some kids' performances. There could be a lot of cold wet kids out there, so some races may boil down to a simple case of who wants to be out there and who doesn't.
And did you notice also that only 2 teams had their numbers on since the rain made all of them fall off. We see these teams twice a year and do not know exactly who they are. We had an official giving us team names as they crossed. He left when he thought last one had crossed. Luckily we had the camera still on but we did not see the actual last one cross visually but went back in and placed correctly from camera.
Yes district sites are supposed to break ties for their 4th place in the program but that district did not. Nobody caught it when the meet was prepared and sheets sent to host.

In lieu of a regional podium, Fitch is having the regional scorers stand next to each other on the turf as their performances are announced. This is somehow supposed to help prevent the spread of COVID. Here's hoping we have a podium at the state meet.
Our Boys are in D1 at the Wayne Regional and they are still doing the podium and handing out the awards just like normal years. Our Girls are D2 at Piqua and no podium, and coaches have to pick up awards and hand them out to their team. Also, Wayne allows all athletes and coaches to be there so you can bring your alternates and all your coaches without having to pay to get them in, the way it should be.

DQ'd for not checking in? What are these officials trying to prove by pulling this crap?
Officials are not at fault. That falls directly on Princeton. Same thing applies in XC. Happened to a team I know well about 10 years ago :(

I agree with this. Not checking in should not result in a DQ. Who cares if you check in or not for the State or Regional meet, you essentially checked in last week when you qualified.

I just don’t understand what difference it makes if you check-in or not. What advantage could Princeton gain by not checking in? It’s not like each athlete shows up with their drivers license to check in and prove they are the name on the relay cars anyways.

I also don’t understand how the officials let them run if they were going to be DQ anyways.

These officials need to get out of the way. It’s high school track. Relax.

The only question that should be asked in track-----

Did someone gain an advantage when they broke the rule? What is egregious?

If an athlete gained no advantage due to the infraction then the rule should be taken off the books.

Rules are not rules. We really need to think about why we have these rules? What is the purpose of a rule?

My big gripe right now is the smartwatch and the GPS right now. Stupid is as stupid does.

The only question that should be asked in track-----

Did someone gain an advantage when they broke the rule? What is egregious?

If an athlete gained no advantage due to the infraction then the rule should be taken off the books.

Rules are not rules. We really need to think about why we have these rules? What is the purpose of a rule?

My big gripe right now is the smartwatch and the GPS right now. Stupid is as stupid does.

Who gets to decide whether an advantage was gained? That's a judgement call where no agreement is guaranteed.

I know of no sport that only enforces rules if an advantage was gained. It would be complete chaos to do so.

Sometimes rules are in place for safety. Sometimes they are to create a more level playing field. Sometimes the rules give structure to the sport that simply could exist without them. Other times we have rules that enable meets to run efficiently - the logistics would become a nightmare without them for athletes and spectators.

In every sport you must play by the rules. If you think the rules are unnecessary, then fight to change them but you must follow them in the meantime.

Who gets to decide whether an advantage was gained? That's a judgement call where no agreement is guaranteed.

I know of no sport that only enforces rules if an advantage was gained. It would be complete chaos to do so.

Sometimes rules are in place for safety. Sometimes they are to create a more level playing field. Sometimes the rules give structure to the sport that simply could exist without them. Other times we have rules that enable meets to run efficiently - the logistics would become a nightmare without them for athletes and spectators.

In every sport you must play by the rules. If you think the rules are unnecessary, then fight to change them but you must follow them in the meantime.
Good question. That is in the eye of the official.

For instance, almost every call is a judgment call in every sport:
(1) Regional meet this year- my team was warned because the athlete moved his foot inside the exchange zone once the relay already started. I have seen teams disqualified.
(2) Regional 200- boy is falling out of the blocks- official sees this and stops the commands. No call.
(3) Regional 400- girl is falling out of the blocks- different starter this time- disqualifies her because she is moving in the blocks.
(4) National meet in 2017- boys 1600 indoor at New balance- the winning kid took 5 steps inside the track. He won by 4 seconds. After reviewing with other officials it was decided the athlete did not gain an advantage.
(5) Regional 4x400 finals. Fastest seeded team in the state. Distance girl is starting with no blocks. The wind blows her hair into her face. She moves her hand to brush her hand back while in the set command. The official stops the commands and DQ's the fastest team in the state for moving her hair.

Personally, in all sports, it is the athletes/coaches v. officials mentality. No matter what the sport- I always fight for the athlete. If it's my team or the team we are playing against. There are some great officials out there---but there are also some egotistical, power-hungry dudes that just want more power. Those guys are the reason I fight. They are not in it for the right reasons. Kids first mentality.

I agree with this. Not checking in should not result in a DQ. Who cares if you check in or not for the State or Regional meet, you essentially checked in last week when you qualified.

I just don’t understand what difference it makes if you check-in or not. What advantage could Princeton gain by not checking in? It’s not like each athlete shows up with their drivers license to check in and prove they are the name on the relay cars anyways.

I also don’t understand how the officials let them run if they were going to be DQ anyways.

These officials need to get out of the way. It’s high school track. Relax.
Should absolutely be Dq'd for not checking in a relay. You have NOT essentially checked in last week when you qualify. You can run a completely different 6 people on that card. We have not run the same relay twice District or Regional. Prelims to finals. I have 7 guys I've used on the card for the 4x400. You are essentially saying that since teams can be dishonest, there should not be a rule.

You can watch what happens in the first heat and pull someone. That's an advantage.

Teams that check in are now stuck at the bullpen maybe in the sun and heat or rain and cold. Your non-checked in team does not have to be in the same conditions.. You can't just sub on the fly in Basketball, Football or Soccer. There are rules.

I have watched basketball officials grab a player who forgot to check-in and send them to the scorers table to do so rather than throwing up a T. I have watched football officials ignore things away from a play since it had no bearing on the game or tell them to put in their mouthpiece. There is a big difference between managing the competition and trying to catch a young person breaking a rule. There are a lot of nuances to officiating and it should lean toward the athletes. I imagine there are a lot of track officials who help athletes stay within the rules whenever possible rather than DQing every small infraction.

As far as the Oak Hills DQ, I suspect we are not getting the full story. He may have thrown the baton angerly or something else that is not being shared. I sure hope he was not walking away, dropped the baton casually, and DQed. EDIT: I wrote this prior to seeing the video that was shared above.

Pretty annoying that the OHSAA won't officially confirm at-large qualifiers from day one of regionals (Wednesday for DI/III, Thursday for DII) until regional finals are over.