Bill Gates and Melinda Gates are splitting up after 27 years

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Bill Gates, co-founder and former CEO of Microsoft, said in a tweet on Monday that he and his wife, Melinda Gates, will be splitting up after 27 years. The two will keep working together on philanthropic efforts, which have addressed education, gender equality and health care.

“After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage,” Bill and Melinda Gates wrote in a statement that Bill Gates tweeted out.

Guarantee, no prenup. Pretty amazing the wealthiest men in the world make the dumbest decisions in their personal life.

Guarantee, no prenup. Pretty amazing the wealthiest men in the world make the dumbest decisions in their personal life.

They both announced they'll continue to work with each other at their foundation. I don't see them fighting over money and no matter what they'll both have more than they can possibly ever spend. Do you think she should get nothing?

They both announced they'll continue to work with each other at their foundation. I don't see them fighting over money and no matter what they'll both have more than they can possibly ever spend. Do you think she should get nothing?
Not nothing, but less than 1/2.

What State gives either party in a divorce less than half? You talking about something you know nothing about again?
It depends. It could be 1/2 the assets accumulated during the marriage, not 1/2 of total net worth.

What State gives either party in a divorce less than half? You talking about something you know nothing about again?
Inheritance received while married is not a 50/50 split if divorced. If I recall correctly it's about 1/3 vs 2/3 .

One question I have wondered is if you can prenup future expected financial sources such as inheritance or lottery winnings?

Ohio is an Equitable distribution state not an Equal distribution state.

Property recieved as an inheritance during a marriage is not marital property, but will be included as an asset.

Future earnings from a retirement account is marital property on the portion vetted during the course of said marriage.

Future contracts and potential earnings are marital property (ie. Oil well royalties) .