NFL Draft News

More arguments on why the Bengals will pick a receiver instead of a lineman. From Bleacher Report:

1. Early in the draft evaluation process, Oregon's Penei Sewell seemed like a good fit for the Cincinnati Bengals. Quarterback Joe Burrow needs stronger pass protection after spending this past season with an average of 2.3 seconds in a clean pocket before it collapsed.
    During free agency, the Bengals signed offensive tackle Riley Reiff, who had a solid 2020 campaign with the Minnesota Vikings but lost his roster spot. He allowed just one sack in 1,003 offensive snaps, per Pro Football Focus.
    Reiff lined up at right tackle through the 2016 term with the Detroit Lions, and now he could man that spot to bookend the Bengals offensive line opposite 2019 first-rounder Jonah Williams.
    The Bengals don't have a pressing need at tackle, though they can upgrade with Sewell. However, with the Oregon product's experience on the left side, the coaching staff would have to move him to the other end of the line or shift Williams, which isn't an ideal approach.
    Instead, the Bengals can reunite wideout Ja'Marr Chase with Burrow, his former LSU teammate. Cincinnati ran 76 percent of its offensive plays out of three-wide receiver sets in 2020, per Sharp Football Stats, which underlines the importance of their third wideout.
    With the top three draft spots going to quarterbacks and the Atlanta Falcons set at tackle with one Pro Bowler and a recent first-rounder at the position, Sewell could easily fall outside the top five if the Bengals feel confident in Reiff.
    The 2021 class has a strong group of tackles, which gives the Bengals the flexibility to reignite a flame between their quarterback and his best collegiate receiver. After that, they can still find Reiff's eventual successor in the second round.
    Verdict: Buy
. Team Chase ppl are idiots. And whomever wrote that article is an idiot. The Bengals absolutely have a pressing need at OT.

Read a column that at the top of the draft there are about 15-20 players on most boards that get solid 1st round grades, look for a lot of action in the high teens of folks looking to trade in or out to get certain players. Pats at 15 and the Bears at 20 are teams to keep an eye on.

It is being reported that during the pre-draft process Justin Fields has disclosed he is managing epilepsy>

Epilepsy is a strange illness for many people who cannot understand when it will strike or how long it will go on. One more reason for Fields to drop in the draft.

Justin Fields has been this year's media punching bag among draft class QBs. I find it to be interesting that there's been virtually no commentary or concern about Zach Wilson's one major stat stuffing season coming against a schedule devoid of any Power 5 opponents, and that there's been more chatter about "character concerns" for Fields with alleged concerns about lack of work ethic or desire from the player who was the most outspoken advocate of playing Big Ten football this year than there has been about Mac Jones with his underage DUI or the blackface caricature Obama costume from his teenage years that was recently dug up.

It seems to me that someone outside of the top-10 (i.e. Patriots) is intentionally trying to crater his draft stock past the early expected QB rush to give themselves a chance of scooping him up in the teens. Leaking that he disclosed information about having epilepsy (that doesn't seem to have had any discernible effect on his college football career) is more testament to this.

Justin Fields has been this year's media punching bag among draft class QBs. I find it to be interesting that there's been virtually no commentary or concern about Zach Wilson's one major stat stuffing season coming against a schedule devoid of any Power 5 opponents, and that there's been more chatter about "character concerns" for Fields with alleged concerns about lack of work ethic or desire from the player who was the most outspoken advocate of playing Big Ten football this year than there has been about Mac Jones with his underage DUI or the blackface caricature Obama costume from his teenage years that was recently dug up.

It seems to me that someone outside of the top-10 (i.e. Patriots) is intentionally trying to crater his draft stock past the early expected QB rush to give themselves a chance of scooping him up in the teens. Leaking that he disclosed information about having epilepsy (that doesn't seem to have had any discernible effect on his college football career) is more testament to this.

I hope Fields is successful in the NFL as it will help tOSU recruit the position in the future but I think the right system for him will be very important. He makes a lot of great throws, especially deep down field, and has the wheels to tuck it and run for the 1st down when available but how many times did you see him last year hold on to the ball too long when that primary read wasn't open? If this was the 1970s he would flourish in the old Raiders offense of having speed WRs flying down field and a QB like Fields chucking up accurate deep balls. The Jets will & 49ers run the classic Shanahan offense and a play action throwing on the run skill set like Baker Mayfield's is needed but then again the all time best QB in terms of yardage in that system was RG III his rookie year, so who knows. Best fit for Fields would be an offense like the Seahawks or the Cowboys but both those QB situations are set.

Unfortunately these kids are built up, then tore down. I don't have any major issues with Fields, but I also see why there is skepticism.

He's put up big numbers against no so great defenses. The debate continues, but I still say the big ten isn't very good other than Ohio State and a select team or two annually. This plays right into the Ohio State QB's and their patters of ineffective pro careers. The big ten windows are huge and they can't transition to the pro game. Also, Fields had two of his worst games this season against two big ten teams (Indiana and Northwestern) who actually had decent defenses this year.

To me the draft has become it's own production, and not in a good way. These kids are now quitting school in the fall so they can "get ready" for the combine. I'm more concerned with your body of work on the football field. Who cares how fast you run, how high you can jump in shorts. First round, high QB draft choices are working out less and less. The teams that draft first have the most holes to fill and they go get someone who can't help them win because they have so many other issues. You build football teams from within. O line, D line. You run the ball, stop the run. Once you do that, THEN go get your franchise QB, which is alot easier to find because they don't have to carry the team week in and week out.

Has there ever been a year where there was so much pre draft trading of picks? The Baltimore Ravens sent Pro Bowl offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr. to the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday in a deal that landed Baltimore a first-rounder (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (No. 94) and a fourth-rounder (No. 136) -- as well as a fifth-round selection in 2022. The Cheifs also get Baltimore's second-round pick in 2021 (No. 58 overall) and a sixth-rounder in 2022.

He's put up big numbers against no so great defenses. The debate continues, but I still say the big ten isn't very good other than Ohio State and a select team or two annually. This plays right into the Ohio State QB's and their patters of ineffective pro careers. The big ten windows are huge and they can't transition to the pro game. Also, Fields had two of his worst games this season against two big ten teams (Indiana and Northwestern) who actually had decent defenses this year.

The issue I have is I'd say the same thing about Wilson this year for BYU. BYU had a huge talent advantage over everyone they played this year.

Mac Jones saw more quality defenses, but comparative to the other highly projected prospects he threw an extremely high percentage of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage to multiple first round talent skill players that created about 55% of his yards after the catch. Comparatively, he was also much worse than the others at grading out on throws beyond the primary read.

I find the narrative about ineffective OSU QBs to be amusing as the sample size of guys drafted high is very thin and almost all of the duds and disappointments people speak of over the last 30-40 years were drafted between the 3rd and 5th rounds and should have been expected to be backup caliber players. The only high draft picks were Haskins and Schlichter, both of whom are or were their own biggest impediments to having successful careers.

Draft eve, a couple things out there:

1) Najee Harris is rising into the end of the 1st round, there is also a chance that Travis Etienne gets picked tomorrow. Seems like there are still teams that value a solid RB in the 1st round.

2) Some other risers are the 2nd tier of WRs (Elijah Moore, Rashod Bateman, Kadarius Toney) and iOL Alijah Vera-Tucker

3) Some dropping: Caleb Farley (Injury concerns) and Micah Parsons. Both will go in the 1st but more than likely they were once considered top 10 and they may now be picked in the 20s.

Draft eve, a couple things out there:

1) Najee Harris is rising into the end of the 1st round, there is also a chance that Travis Etienne gets picked tomorrow. Seems like there are still teams that value a solid RB in the 1st round.

2) Some other risers are the 2nd tier of WRs (Elijah Moore, Rashod Bateman, Kadarius Toney) and iOL Alijah Vera-Tucker

3) Some dropping: Caleb Farley (Injury concerns) and Micah Parsons. Both will go in the 1st but more than likely they were once considered top 10 and they may now be picked in the 20s.
Please. The entire last few months are all speculation, BS and smoke-screens. The teams have the guys they like on their boards, and they don't tell clowns like Mel Kuiper and Todd McShay what they are really thinking. They only tell them whatever message they want pushed out as smoke-screens, so the other teams don;t know what they are planning.

So the so-called "draft experts" rely on their own evaluations, team needs and history to do mock drafts. That's fine. But to pretend that anyone has the true scoop on who is rising and falling is pure BS. Don't believe the hype.

Ohio State has a long history of overrated QB’s that suck in the NFL. Hopefully Fields can change the stereotype of OSU QB’s

Ohio State has a long history of overrated QB’s that suck in the NFL. Hopefully Fields can change the stereotype of OSU QB’s

This narrative simply isn't true if you pay attention to where guys went in the draft. In the modern era there are only two guys that were drafted at a point where it should have been expected that they would develop into quality starters and have any meaningful career. They both kneecapped themselves with dumb personal decisions, although there may be some chance of Haskins redeeming himself. Personal stupidity and immaturity have been the problem for him as opposed to a lack of talent.

This narrative simply isn't true if you pay attention to where guys went in the draft. In the modern era there are only two guys that were drafted at a point where it should have been expected that they would develop into quality starters and have any meaningful career. They both kneecapped themselves with dumb personal decisions, although there may be some chance of Haskins redeeming himself. Personal stupidity and immaturity have been the problem for him as opposed to a lack of talent.
Name one good QB in Ohio States entire history? You can’t. OSU is just weird since they play in a weaker conference with NFL players at almost every position

Name one good QB in Ohio States entire history? You can’t. OSU is just weird since they play in a weaker conference with NFL players at almost every position
How many good QB's come out of the SEC? I'll give you Burrow, but they certainly dont produce tons of NFL QB's

It's amazing that OSU could overcome such ineptitude at QB the last two years to be that successful. ?‍♂️

Good college QB or pro QB? Outside of Art and Haskins there's been two third round picks (Tom Tupa was converted into a punter) and a bunch of guys selected in the later rounds. If anyone thought someone like Craig Krenzel or Joe Germaine were going to be legit in the NFL they wouldn't have been drafted on the second (or what would now be the third) day. It's revisionist history to act like they were monumental failures when they had minimal to no expectations of being legitimate starters.

Reactions: y2h
How many good QB's come out of the SEC? I'll give you Burrow, but they certainly dont produce tons of NFL QB's

You might want to rethink that statement, although the second of the first article is certainly better than the first.

You might want to rethink that statement, although the second of the first article is certainly better than the first.

I never said they didn’t produce any, just not a lot ??

Are we comparing OSU against the entire SEC for NFL QB's?? Pretty illogical. And we are saying "Namath, Starr, Tarkenton, Stabler"?? OK they were great, when I was a kid. Certainly the Mannings are relevant and great.

Now if you want to go Big Ten vs SEC for NFL QBs, that is a debate you can have. Brady, Brees, Griese, Dawson and Russell Wilson give the Big Ten a nice start for a list.

Draft day and the biggest story is the 49ers at #3 and what happens with Justin Fields if he is not picked.

I don’t get that argument. How many of those guys played under Meyer/Day? Bobby Hoying or Troy Smith having a less than stellar NFL career shouldn’t have any bearing on Fields or future OSU QBs.

Name one good QB from LSU before Burrow. Name a successful Texas Tech QB before Mahomes. Unless they all played under the same coach/system, it’s an irrelevant data point.

If OSU qbs are notoriously bad NFL qbs, then Fields could be looked at as only half an OSU qb. The other half is Georgia.

OSU's history of QBs has no more impact on Justin Fields that Jim McMahon has on Zack Wilson or Steve Fuller has on Lawrence. If he's an NFL level talent he's an NFL level talent.