Help with this Hippie Dance

Steel Valley FB

For lack of a better term lol.

There‘s dance I’m assuming is/was done at Phish shows, Widespread, Galactic, Dead shows (maybe it’s that old), etc. I saw my U Arlington buddy do it 15 or so years ago and remember how awkward/poser/cringey he looked doing it in preppy shorts/khaki/nikes at BW3s and never saw it again until the CAAMP Newport show in 2019 and ironically the girl doing was also a UA gal...smoking hot in a tight black dinner dress and it was even worse as I completely didn’t expect her to bust that out dressed like prom night. I don’t have much go on but it’s a weird small leg kick and some leaning and bent elbows...almost skeleton like moves. That’s it - I‘m not sure how else to describe it; sorry. Maybe Auggie can help. I was just wondering if it had name or was just something they did at those jam band shows, as I don't frequent those concerts.

Btw, I know it’s definitely my own issue that I wanted to slap my buddy in the head and that girl maybe 2-3 times. Every time I see a rich kid following hippie bands and pretending to look poor I feel like telling them to gtfooh...I’m not sure why lol. Those two dressed up and doing made it even worse. And, no offense Auggie, but I just call it hippie jam music, always did. I’m ok with a lot of the music and the fans are fine and usually super cool.

For lack of a better term lol.

There‘s dance I’m assuming is/was done at Phish shows, Widespread, Galactic, Dead shows (maybe it’s that old), etc. I saw my U Arlington buddy do it 15 or so years ago and remember how awkward/poser/cringey he looked doing it in preppy shorts/khaki/nikes at BW3s and never saw it again until the CAAMP Newport show in 2019 and ironically the girl doing was also a UA gal...smoking hot in a tight black dinner dress and it was even worse as I completely didn’t expect her to bust that out dressed like prom night. I don’t have much go on but it’s a weird small leg kick and some leaning and bent elbows...almost skeleton like moves. That’s it - I‘m not sure how else to describe it; sorry. Maybe Auggie can help. I was just wondering if it had name or was just something they did at those jam band shows, as I don't frequent those concerts.

Btw, I know it’s definitely my own issue that I wanted to slap my buddy in the head and that girl maybe 2-3 times. Every time I see a rich kid following hippie bands and pretending to look poor I feel like telling them to gtfooh...I’m not sure why lol. Those two dressed up and doing made it even worse. And, no offense Auggie, but I just call it hippie jam music, always did. I’m ok with a lot of the music and the fans are fine and usually super cool.

Almost every modern concert setting leads to this type of dancing nowadays, it's not like you have plenty of room to have a partner and bust out predetermined moves to certain songs. Usually you don't notice if you are into the music because in all likelihood you are doing similar moves. Of course there are notable exceptions like a mosh pit or pogo dancing at a punk/metal show, line dancing at a country show, or wave your hand in the air like you don't care at a rap show. Hippies just tend to be easier to target because they go to so many live show, are usually in some sort of altered state, and in some cases look like a wookie. Now nothing to me is hotter than a cute hippy chick casually dancing at a show, what I do hate are those that are all over the place flailing their arms and legs and bouncing into people like the above Elaine video, ugh. At Grateful Dead shows these folks tended to congregate behind the stage in the arenas because they got the space and could care less about the visuals of the show.

By the way this is the most confusing "dance" thing I have seen at a concert>

Sounds like it could be skanking. It's generally associated with ska, hardcore punk, reggae, drum and bass, etc. Originated in Jamaican dance halls in the 50's and 60's. Google it.

Need to talk to Vamps about the Wall of Death. There are a bunch of videos of these things, usually at some Euro festival.

Last edited:
How do you get picked to be in the middle? Volunteer?

I also liked the guy dressed as a viking or braveheart wanna be.
Honestly, it was hard to key in on just one hooligan. My eyes were all over the place. Hard to pick a favorite. There's always just a designated dude who jogs around the outside of the inner circle swinging his arms like a sprinkler too - classic. I'm guessing your willingness to be in the middle of this situation is directly correlated to the amount of alcohol ingested during the opening band. Unless you're a straight-edge kid, in which case you might already have a screw loose.

This one, maybe? He does the leg kicks just after the 1:00 mark.

Dang, no that’s not it. The one I saw is way more distinctive. I appreciate you trying to help tho. I may go through some YouTube videos to look for it. I thought it might have been really well known. It could be just a UA crowd thing too.

Honestly, it was hard to key in on just one hooligan. My eyes were all over the place. Hard to pick a favorite. There's always just a designated dude who jogs around the outside of the inner circle swinging his arms like a sprinkler too - classic. I'm guessing your willingness to be in the middle of this situation is directly correlated to the amount of alcohol ingested during the opening band. Unless you're a straight-edge kid, in which case you might already have a screw loose.

My favorite is the guy in the bearskin poncho mooning the band at the :14 mark.

Shadow And Bone Lesson GIF by NETFLIX