Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

I expect he prob has some skin in the game here. So perhaps his feelings are a bit higher than others. Many of his posts reflect this. Not trying to discount any of them. Just my observation.
I am not affected by this directly, personally I don't follow girls wrestling closely but I heard about this situation and it angers me because I saw first hand an athlete lose out on 4 state titles for way less than what happened at Clyde.

If you read through all the details that have come out and understand the rules and procedures with the sport and are not upset with this decision than you have to be a friend of Rugg or the wrestler/team getting special treatment.

I am not affected by this directly, personally I don't follow girls wrestling closely but I heard about this situation and it angers me because I saw first hand an athlete lose out on 4 state titles for way less than what happened at Clyde.

If you read through all the details that have come out and understand the rules and procedures with the sport and are not upset with this decision than you have to be a friend of Rugg or the wrestler/team getting special treatment.
Agree that it shouldn't have happened. To wish "karma" on a HS aged girl is a pretty rough look. It's very over the top knowing this didn't effect you directly.

Agree that it shouldn't have happened. To wish "karma" on a HS aged girl is a pretty rough look. It's very over the top knowing this didn't effect you directly.
I admit I could have used better wording, I wouldn't even recognize the girl involved. I was trying to make a comment to add on to Rugg's already over reaching decision that if something else happened he would probably intervene again. The karma was more directed at him using his power once and it be for nothing, not against her.

Anyone know why the Norwalk girl that placed 2nd from Clyde is out?
From my understanding she was originally 105 and went up to 115 before then cutting back down to the 105 pound weight class. Now I could be wrong that is just what I’ve heard. What id love to know if that is the case is how are we going to disqualify one girl who didn’t follow the rules and not the other who broke one as well?

There was one in that region/pre-region that had been wrestling up all season, but I do not think it was the Sandusky wrestler. She has results online wrestling 105 at Findlay FIGHT tournament in December.
She is from Norwalk and was just pulled. Not sure how she gets pulled but Sandusky is still in

Did she make scratch at 105? If she did then I’m not sure why she was pulled. Sounds like Rugg and his buddies at work again
I’m wondering if she just made 107 (105 with the 2 pound allowance after christmas) and just assumed nobody would ever know she never made scratch?

I’m wondering if she just made 107 (105 with the 2 pound allowance after christmas) and just assumed nobody would ever know she never made scratch?
That seems most likely. But even then, how does she get pulled and Sandusky doesn’t? Rugg needs to double down if he wants control

That seems most likely. But even then, how does she get pulled and Sandusky doesn’t? Rugg needs to double down if he wants control
100% agree! Like I said in my earlier post how can you disqualify one for breaking a rule she probably didn’t know of and not the other for breaking a well known rule!?! Sandusky’s coaches at the very least knew that you can not just switch your sectional at any given point! She needs pulled immediately!

It’d be great to watch all the girls boycott (EX. All 105’s not weighing in or refusing to wrestle) but that’s hard to orchestrate. Also, Rugg would probably just advance the Sandusky girl and fill with alternates at state. Even better if the whole Regional did it but again, hard to get everyone to agree and on the same page

That would be one huge power move and kudos to the girls who would do it because their heart is bigger than others. The only thing that would suck is getting the other two top girls in that bracket to do it and them potentially missing out on a state run. Would Rugg allow the top two (from the Clyde and Archbold pre regionals) back in if they would boycott? Or would they not get that special treatment because they weren’t runner up?

She started the year at 115 and worked down over the year never went back to 115.
Did she make scratch at 105? If she did then I’m not sure why she was pulled. Sounds like Rugg and his buddies at work again
She made scratch. Her alpha started at 114. Weighed 113 on her first tournament 12/17. Made scratch 110 on 2/3 weighing 108.8 and weighed 104.5 at pre Regionals on 2/23. She was aloud to lose 1.7 pounds a week. 20 days after weighing 108.8 would put her allowed weight a 103.8. ……

Doesn't matter if you make scratch weight, if she ever weighed in more than 1 wt class above what you alpha says you can be on that day then you loose the lower wt class. So if her Alpha said she could be at 105 even back on Jan 1st and she ever weighed in at 112.1 and competed since Jan. 1st then she can not go back to 105 this season.

Doesn't matter if you make scratch weight, if she ever weighed in more than 1 wt class above what you alpha says you can be on that day then you loose the lower wt class. So if her Alpha said she could be at 105 even back on Jan 1st and she ever weighed in at 112.1 and competed since Jan. 1st then she can not go back to 105 this season.
Correct. But never weighed more than 112. Trust me I weigh the girl out every day

Beau Ruggs email answer to a group of coaches that emailed him Saturday

All,

This wrestler was not allowed to weigh-in at Clyde per rule 4-5-3 because she and her coach did not follow protocol in asking permission because of this issue. If they would have asked for this reason, they would have been granted permission. Spare me your judgement on where you saw her unless you saw her riding a stationary bike trying to make weight (which is what the rule is written to prevent). All of you on this email have no idea how the timing of this biological condition affects the individual.

Placing a wrestler in any tournament event is not a rule. It is policy governed by this office. We had a situation in a boys sectional where a wrestler was assigned to a sectional on Friday night and he was not coming off concussion protocol until Saturday. We moved him to a Saturday sectional. There are over a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons. Those decisions are made in our office and are not made by coaches or our state rules interpreter.

I only have empathy for Coach Gilbert as per the unique nature of "open draws," he made a strategic decision that was affected by this. That is unfortunate.

I appreciate your efforts for the wrestlers in your communities and wish you all good fortune in the tournament.

Beau

Beau Rugg
Director of Officiating and Sport Management
brugg@ohsaa.org
P: 614-549-6958
Sometimes it's best not to hit send. Not a good response.

I would assume if nothing is done by the end of the day today. Beau will stand firm on this and she will be wrestling. Crazy precedent made here. Hopefully all the pre regionals are on the same day next year to eliminate sleepy Beau making a decision

I would assume if nothing is done by the end of the day today. Beau will stand firm on this and she will be wrestling. Crazy precedent made here. Hopefully all the pre regionals are on the same day next year to eliminate sleepy Beau making a decision
Is there anyone above him that can resolve the issue?