IVC 23-24

I've been intrigued by the psychology of fans for a long time. You would be an interesting case study. I'm not qualified to do an armchair analysis, but you exhibit some behaviors that I've read about. You aren't unusual - almost all fans have some head-scratching attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. Thus, the term "fanatics".

A lot of it is based in tribalism. We see it in politics, sports rivalries, different cultures, adjacent communities, etc. Based on the distinctions, those who are X are good, but those who are Y are bad - no redeeming value whatsoever, proving that X is superior to Y. Anything that one hears that Y is bad is accepted without skepticism. Anything good about Y is ignored. Tribalism violates the adage that people are pretty much the same, no matter where you go.

Fans of successful sports teams naturally take pride in that success and really enjoy it. But those who are on the losing end of that success will seek to discredit it in a variety of ways: cheating, favoritism, referee corruption and bias, etc. The pride the successful team's fans take can easily be declared as arrogance, entitlement, etc. And sometimes that is exactly what it is. But the bias of the person alleging that disqualifies them from being a credible judge in making that determination. Lol.

There is also this thing about how sick everyone gets when one team/franchise wins what is perceived as "more than their fair share". It turns into a very strong version of "sports hate" with the bile and hard negative emotions of real hatred. We see it with the NYY, Duke basketball, etc. I'm not much of an NFL fan, but my favorite day of the NFL calendar is when the NE Pats and the Pittsburgh Steelers are eliminated from Super Bowl contention. Lol.

Hiland may be that team in the IVC. While they have won the 3 state championships in boys hoops, there have been plenty of other teams win or share IVC titles over the past 20-30 years. So, if they are that "more than their fair share" school, it would have to be state appearances plus what the girls basketball program has done. They have won or shared 29 straight IVC championships. I can see people growing very tired of that.

I'm a Hiland fan, plus an IVC fan. I take a lot of pleasure in seeing any IVC or local school do well. I wasn't always like that, but I think I met a bunch of really neat people from other schools and decided the tribalism stuff was silly.

Not sure I see a lot of posters "dogging" Hiland fans other than you. But, you do you.
Dang hawkeyez you really got deep on us

IVC Scores
Hiland 56
Ridgewood 29, ugly played game

Indian Valley 54
Tusky Valley 44,IVC South show down,IV vs Hiland this Friday @IV

Garaway 66
Sandy Valley 58

Carrollton 52
Claymont 51

Union Local 58
Buckeye Trail 33, ouch that one hurt the IVC

Coventry 68
TCC 44

Malvern 55
East Canton 50 ot , Malvern gets push to the limit

Conotton Valley 73
Hundred w.va. 39

Last edited:
IVC Scores
Hiland 56
Ridgewood 29, ugly played game

Indian Valley 54
Tusky Valley 44,IVC South show down,IV vs Hiland this Friday @IV

Garaway 66
Sandy Valley 58

Carrollton 52
Claymont 51

Union Local 58
Buckeye Trail 33, ouch that one hurt the IVC

Coventry 68
TCC 44

Malvern 55
East Canton 50 ot , Malvern gets push to the limit

Conotton Valley ??
Hundred w.va. ??
Just some info about the Trail game. It was as ugly as the scored looked. Worst game of the season by far. Two starters did not play (1 injured, 1 illness). Lots of boys sick lately. On to the next! Martin’s Ferry again on Friday.

Just some info about the Trail game. It was as ugly as the scored looked. Worst game of the season by far. Two starters did not play (1 injured, 1 illness). Lots of boys sick lately. On to the next! Martin’s Ferry again on Friday.
That's terrible to happen to Trail in a ovac tournament game,I new something had to happen to get beat like that

I’ll never make fun of hiland ever again last night I was served boiled hot dogs at garaways concession stand and at hiland they had them all beef wonderful dogs!!

Oh when he barely touched him and Strasburgs old coach cried and demanded he was suspended. If the kid from hiland didn’t do anything why was he suspended 10 games? Hiland fans on here are mad when people talk to the truth sorry that I feel like you can’t beat hiland. Maybe if you guys weren’t so full of yourself you wouldn’t get dogged on here.
You absolutely can talk about it, that’s not the problem. But to sit here and say the Strasburg kid barely got touched is crazy. He got punched square in the face and knocked out. It’s on video

I watched the video and knocked out? Didn’t he keep playing? When was this like 6 years ago, should we bring up all the Strasburg dirt from years ago?

Will the Hiland/IV game be streamed anywhere?
Indian Valley seems to be on a roll here of late, with impressive wins at SV and TV,I guess we will see if the Hawks tuff non-league schedule will pay off in this big IVC show down,a Hiland win and there more than likely the sole IVC South champs,a IV win more than likely co- champs ,as both have a league game left after there showdown, as IV is at Ridgewood and Hiland hosting Claymont ,which both should be heavy favorites to win out

Big Time Sports TV will be airing the Indian Valley vs Hiland Boys Game. Replay tonight at 11pm Sat 2pm Spectrum 989 and 15 MCTV 128 Stream at WIVMTV.COM

It is what it is,we blew it with .9 seconds to go, should of put Nick on the inbound play and let them throw one up the court, what are there chances of shooting a prayer

Led for most the game, just couldn't get enough separation late in the game,it finally showed we missed big Al ,got out rebouned 27-20

Tyrone outcoached mark and Ryker Williams out played Sammy great win for the Braves
IV had 1 kid go through the handshake line. Stormed the court for a share on the IVC championship? The bar must be low at IV. You can give Sammy some credit. Knocked 3 down at the end. Rykers a heck of a player for sure. Then Tyrone bitched about the call when their kid ran over Sammy. The right call. But how Hiland was anywhere near that inbounds is beyond me.

Last edited:
IV had 1 kid go through the handshake line. Tyrones a classless coach amd always has been. All the way down to their middle school teams. He's a wannabe Mark Schlabach. You can give Sammy some credit. Knocked 3 down at the end. Rykers a heck of a player for sure. Then Tyrone bitched about the call when their kid ran over Sammy. The right call. But how Hiland was anywhere near that inbounds is beyond me.
No reason to be near the ball on the inbound and Sammy kicked his legs out and was out of control on the shot shouldn’t have really been a foul imo but what do I know. Didn’t stay to see the post game line

No reason to be near the ball on the inbound and Sammy kicked his legs out and was out of control on the shot shouldn’t have really been a foul imo but what do I know. Didn’t stay to see the post game line
I watched the replay. He had a good look at it. Certainly not out of control. McComb crashed into his legs. It was a normal shooting motion for Sammy and he had a clear look at it. Hiland coaches brought it up in the huddle to stay from kids bit it looked like Hilands kids just went on instinct after the free throw. IV wins a share of the ivc and they act like thet won a state title. It's their super bowl. Either way it was a heck of a game

I watched the replay. He had a good look at it. Certainly not out of control. McComb crashed into his legs. It was a normal shooting motion for Sammy and he had a clear look at it. Hiland coaches brought it up in the huddle to stay from kids bit it looked like Hilands kids just went on instinct after the free throw. IV wins a share of the ivc and they act like thet won a state title. It's their super bowl. Either way it was a heck of a game
Battle of 2 heavy weights. Best highschool game I’ve witnessed in awhile it’s a big win for Iv and I agree it was a huge overreaction but to beat a guy like mark it takes everything you have 😂

Every good IVC South team brings there A+ game, when they play Hiland, just look at Garaway, played there one great game against Hiland,then they haven't done anything since that game

On the Hiland side, I know Nick finished with 17 points, anyone know how many Sammy finished with?

Tough loss. Crazy final sequence of calls.

Little late game drama on wtuz tonight!!!
A really, really interesting game. Good, but a little quirky. I liked how hard both teams played.

The last foul by Hiland was one of the oddest things I have seen in a while. A real head-scratcher.

So tell me ,we both are favored next Tuesday,so if we end up co-champs,who gets to play Malvern in the showcase,is it IV because they would have the better overall record or how does this work