GWOC 2023-2024

Any thoughts on the GWOC as of today? Centerville took their first league loss since 2020, incredible run but they have taken some huge steps backwards this season. Struggling with Boro and losing by 10 to Fairmont is not good. But they beat Beavercreek by 30+ and I think the Beavers are the best team in the league. Could be a weird season.
Now I’m wondering if this basketball season will be like the football season. Fairmont beat centerville by 10 this week and lost to Wayne 36-29. Losing to Wayne is not that big of a surprise but the low score is crazy. After seeing that I though cville would blow their doors off,

Any thoughts on the GWOC as of today? Centerville took their first league loss since 2020, incredible run but they have taken some huge steps backwards this season. Struggling with Boro and losing by 10 to Fairmont is not good. But they beat Beavercreek by 30+ and I think the Beavers are the best team in the league. Could be a weird season.
Centerville falling apart is good for the league, but bad for Dayton-area basketball, as there is no one currently that can fill the void at the state contender level. It had to end sometime, just didn't see it coming this soon.

Article by CHS

In a stunning turn of events, the Boys Varsity Basketball team experienced their first GWOC (Greater Western Ohio Conference) loss since the 2020-2021 season. The Elks, who had an impressive 43-game league winning streak, were beaten by the Fairmont Firebirds with a final score of 62-52.

The game started on a positive note for the Elks as they jumped out to a commanding first-quarter lead of 18-7. However, the tides began to turn as the Firebirds gradually gained control. By halftime, the Elks held a slim lead of 22-21, setting the stage for an intense second half.

Unfortunately for the Elks, the second half proved challenging, with the Firebirds outscoring them 41-30. A combination of turnovers, a lack of rebounding, and poor shooting allowed Fairmont to mount a comeback and secure the upset win. The Elks, who were accustomed to dominating the league, found themselves facing adversity and a formidable opponent.

Several factors played a role in Centerville's loss. Turnovers, often a critical aspect of any basketball game, proved to be a downfall for the Elks. Additionally, struggles on the boards and difficulties in finding the basket contributed to the Firebirds' ability to capitalize on the situation. It was a night where the team's usual strengths seemed elusive, leading to an uncharacteristic defeat.

Now I’m wondering if this basketball season will be like the football season. Fairmont beat centerville by 10 this week and lost to Wayne 36-29. Losing to Wayne is not that big of a surprise but the low score is crazy. After seeing that I though cville would blow their doors off,

No stalling in that game. It was just intense defense and poor 3 point shooting. I don't believe any team led by more than 3 points until Wayne started to pull away.

In my opinion and I have seen all the GWOC teams the league is down. The only teams that I feel are better this season than last are Beavercreek and Springboro.

No stalling in that game. It was just intense defense and poor 3 point shooting. I don't believe any team led by more than 3 points until Wayne started to pull away.

In my opinion and I have seen all the GWOC teams the league is down. The only teams that I feel are better this season than last are Beavercreek and Springboro.
Fairmont is probably better than they were last year too, but certainly not as good as their team 2 years ago. Centerville is probably back to where they were during Cupps’ freshman year, but that team was still good enough to make the regional and I think this year’s team could still very much win the regional. Wayne is definitely down from the last couple of years, but they’re still solid and can win on any given night. Beavercreek is vastly improved and could make the regional. Springboro is a lot better too, but I think they’ll get overwhelmed by anyone athletic.

Those 5 from the GWOC, the top 3 from the GCL-S (not LaSalle, they’re bad), and the top 5-7 from the GMC (not sure if I want to include Mason and Hamilton), and then only Winton Woods from the ECC can probably beat anybody on a given night this year. It should be fun even if it seems unlikely that southwest Ohio produces a state champion in D1.

Centerville is better than 99% of SWO - doesn't mean they won't lose some games. Every team has bad nights over the course of a season.

Who cares if they lose big to a national prep school, they won't have to face anything like that in their region.

They also have the best coach in the region.

Centerville is better than 99% of SWO - doesn't mean they won't lose some games. Every team has bad nights over the course of a season.

Who cares if they lose big to a national prep school, they won't have to face anything like that in their region.

1) This year...90% yes...99%...doubtful. Yes also on the "bad night's" and yes, they will lose more games.
2) I care...Whoever the team is from Ohio that wins the D1 title, would not lose by 35 to Moravian. Agree, there are no Moravians in SW Ohio.
3) Agree, they have an exceptional coach and a great program. That's why they will still be very good. Just not state title good.

1) This year...90% yes...99%...doubtful. Yes also on the "bad night's" and yes, they will lose more games.
2) I care...Whoever the team is from Ohio that wins the D1 title, would not lose by 35 to Moravian. Agree, there are no Moravians in SW Ohio.
3) Agree, they have an exceptional coach and a great program. That's why they will still be very good. Just not state title good.
I think the only team that is better may be Moeller. Maybe.

There are SWO teams that can certainly beat them on any given night.

Most of SWO is pretty average.

Fairmont is probably better than they were last year too, but certainly not as good as their team 2 years ago. Centerville is probably back to where they were during Cupps’ freshman year, but that team was still good enough to make the regional and I think this year’s team could still very much win the regional. Wayne is definitely down from the last couple of years, but they’re still solid and can win on any given night. Beavercreek is vastly improved and could make the regional. Springboro is a lot better too, but I think they’ll get overwhelmed by anyone athletic.

Those 5 from the GWOC, the top 3 from the GCL-S (not LaSalle, they’re bad), and the top 5-7 from the GMC (not sure if I want to include Mason and Hamilton), and then only Winton Woods from the ECC can probably beat anybody on a given night this year. It should be fun even if it seems unlikely that southwest Ohio produces a state champion in D1.
Not sure about that, Moeller is undefeated and looks very strong this year.

Dayton metro basketball has been a quality district in the SWO region for years. Multiple state titles are evidence of that. Present day D1 isn't what it was largely bc certain schools have shrunk and the threats have come from D2 for at least 20 years. Dunbar, Trotwood, CJ and Alter likely could beat any team from the region's large D1 conferences when one or the other is "up". Centerville has an ace coach and Wayne had one for a while and they were strong. Could any of the D2 schools run the table in the GCL, GWOC or GMC annually? Probably not but there are years they could and , annually, any of them would be threats in the region's "lighter" D1 leagues. Demographic shifts followed the economic wreckage. Columbus has myriad new suburban D1 schools that are composed of driveway shooters and dated offenses. The OCC is hugely uneven despite it's gazillion schools. Would say the quality of ball is generally still real good vs other regions, but it's been morphed from what it once had in D1 from, say, Roosevelt, Dunbar, Chaminade when it was boys only. Glad Centerville has been able to plug the void in 937 big boy ball.

I don't worry much about the Moravian loss, but playing a close game with average (from a regional perspective) Springboro and losing to Fairmont shows they are back to being a team that could make a run, down from clear-cut favorite in SWOH

Centerville varsity basketball lost at Akron Hoban 60-56 on the road tonight. Jonathan Powell had 21 points and Boboucarr Njie had 12 points to lead the Elks

Centerville varsity basketball lost at Akron Hoban 60-56 on the road tonight. Jonathan Powell had 21 points and Boboucarr Njie had 12 points to lead the Elks
Guess the Fairmont loss wasn't just a "bad night" afterall. I do applaud Coach Cupps for playing a very tough schedule. Hope it pays off come late February.

Concerning the Elks loss to Hoban. You know they are defending State Champs? Also went to Final 4 in 2022.
Springboro is also rising.
No one is saying it was a bad loss. As an Elk alum, all I am pointing out is that the tough schedule is showing some vulnerabilities (mostly inexperience) that we knew were coming, but not used to seeing for a while. Mentor has seen this recently as well, despite great coaching.
I was well aware that losing Gabe Cupps and a senior-laden backcourt from last year was going to be challenging. I completely believe in the theory that playing the best reaps dividends, especially with a young team. Doesn't make it less frustrating though when you are used to seeing "W's.
Fairmont, at home though, by 10, was a bad loss...

Last edited:
Actually, the coaching at Northmont now is solid. There is no comparison between the previous coach ( Kinser) and the current coach (Hoskins). The former put that program at least 3 years behind and there is some talent but not much at Northmont the problem there goes beyond the court and field. Hoskins is still trying to fix a mess that was created before him the issue is I don't know how much longer he'll be there.
By recruiting players from other schools? AAU coach.

Dayton metro basketball has been a quality district in the SWO region for years. Multiple state titles are evidence of that. Present day D1 isn't what it was largely bc certain schools have shrunk and the threats have come from D2 for at least 20 years. Dunbar, Trotwood, CJ and Alter likely could beat any team from the region's large D1 conferences when one or the other is "up". Centerville has an ace coach and Wayne had one for a while and they were strong. Could any of the D2 schools run the table in the GCL, GWOC or GMC annually? Probably not but there are years they could and , annually, any of them would be threats in the region's "lighter" D1 leagues. Demographic shifts followed the economic wreckage. Columbus has myriad new suburban D1 schools that are composed of driveway shooters and dated offenses. The OCC is hugely uneven despite its gazillion schools. Would say the quality of ball is generally still real good vs other regions, but it's been morphed from what it once had in D1 from, say, Roosevelt, Dunbar, Chaminade when it was boys only. Glad Centerville has been able to plug the void in 937 big boy ball.
Agreed, except on Columbus basketball. It’s been up for the last several years, the suburban schools as well as the Pick Centrals.

Agreed, except on Columbus basketball. It’s been up for the last several years, the suburban schools as well as the Pick Centrals.
Dayton metro basketball has been a quality district in the SWO region for years. Multiple state titles are evidence of that. Present day D1 isn't what it was largely bc certain schools have shrunk and the threats have come from D2 for at least 20 years. Dunbar, Trotwood, CJ and Alter likely could beat any team from the region's large D1 conferences when one or the other is "up". Centerville has an ace coach and Wayne had one for a while and they were strong. Could any of the D2 schools run the table in the GCL, GWOC or GMC annually? Probably not but there are years they could and , annually, any of them would be threats in the region's "lighter" D1 leagues. Demographic shifts followed the economic wreckage. Columbus has myriad new suburban D1 schools that are composed of driveway shooters and dated offenses. The OCC is hugely uneven despite it's gazillion schools. Would say the quality of ball is generally still real good vs other regions, but it's been morphed from what it once had in D1 from, say, Roosevelt, Dunbar, Chaminade when it was boys only. Glad Centerville has been able to plug the void in 937 big boy ball.
I agree with you for the most part however, before Trotwood exited the GWOC in the 20-21 season they ran through the GWOC with a 43-3 record and 2 of the losses came in 2015 and one was to Centerville but did not lose to Centerville again until 2021 in a non-conference game and they were D2 during that 37-0 three year conference winning streak.