• Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do have a Wildcat logo all you do is bash them every year. Step up and put your name on a coaching contract
That’s my name on that logo zoom in. I took ownership after fairmont beat them again this year. Also look at my posts more of making fun of a fan than bashing Springfield. I give them props when they deserve them. Even complimented Douglass on changing it up this year halfway through the season. If a team can afford me I’ll put my name on a contract.

Springfield played really well. I thought their coaches did a good job with the 2 QB offense. Usually it doesn't work, but last night it provided enough variety to move the ball on a really, really good St. Ed's defense. Ultimately Eds was just better. This state title was always Ed's to lose. They had a loaded senior class.
I agree...the more I watched the game and learned how things developed for Springfield over the season, the more impressed I was. The way the half ended turned out to be huge. Congrats to both teams...this was a great game to watch!

As our old coach use to say, the game is won or lost in the trenches. SHS held their own through 3 quarters of the game, however it was evident the defense could no longer stand up against those bigs of Eds in the 4th.
Great effort SHS. Congratulations St. Ed's.
Springfield coach Mo Douglass agrees, but sees hope for the future. He said after the game, “They just lean into you with those big guys with all that strength and size and wear you out … and there’s not much you can do about it. They might have worn us out at the end, but the good thing is those big guys up front won’t be back next year, so I like my chances if we see them again.”

After digesting this one and getting over my celebration hangover...there's a few things that really stuck out.

Springfield really hung in there after getting down 14-0 early. That's a testament to Coach Douglas and how tough the kids on Springfield are. Norman is a phenom, just a special player and I got nervous every time he touched the ball.

I'm not sure about Springfields kicking game, but I think they should've taken the points at the end of the first half and taken the lead into the locker room, however hindsight is 20/20. Stopping Springfield at the 1 and going into the locker room tied was clearly a huge momentum boost for Eds, and Springfield didn't score again.

Brandon White is going to have a very nice career at St. Eds. 4 months ago barely anyone knew him, and last night he shredded the Springfield D (of course with the help of the big boys up front). Brandon seems to do everything really well, especially as just a sophomore. He's not the fastest kid on the team, but he's elusive and hard to bring down.

After digesting this one and getting over my celebration hangover...there's a few things that really stuck out.

Springfield really hung in there after getting down 14-0 early. That's a testament to Coach Douglas and how tough the kids on Springfield are. Norman is a phenom, just a special player and I got nervous every time he touched the ball.

I'm not sure about Springfields kicking game, but I think they should've taken the points at the end of the first half and taken the lead into the locker room, however hindsight is 20/20. Stopping Springfield at the 1 and going into the locker room tied was clearly a huge momentum boost for Eds, and Springfield didn't score again.

Brandon White is going to have a very nice career at St. Eds. 4 months ago barely anyone knew him, and last night he shredded the Springfield D (of course with the help of the big boys up front). Brandon seems to do everything really well, especially as just a sophomore. He's not the fastest kid on the team, but he's elusive and hard to bring down.
To think that Brandon is just a sophomore is pretty frightening. Yes he gets to play for that stacked o line, but he makes many plays himself and has exceptional vision for a high school sophomore. I’m excited to see how he develops!

Thanks for reminding some of us that he is only a freaking sophomore...

Didn't want the day to go by without recognizing how tough and resilient Springfield was as a team. No quit in those Springfield kids. Bay Bay Norman #7 was outstanding. We lost containment on him on his early 44 yard run that led to Springfield's first TD. I don't know why we kicked to him after the score that put us up 21-14. That was playing with fire. Other than those big plays, Ed's managed to contain him for the most part, but he's electric.

I wonder if circumstances permitted it would have been better to have had Scott #5 in a QB for Springfield on the run to the one yard line as the half ended. He was a much better runner than Upshaw#16, but I realize time didn't allow for a QB change. Bradley Eaton #43 really came up and delivered a hit stopping Upshaw #16 at the one yard line. Not sure Scott would have gotten in either, but it would have been interesting. Eaton #43 is a really tough player who will be back for Eds next year.

I really thought Eds tightened up the D in the second half. They gave up a total of 70 yards in the last two quarters on 5 drives. That was an accomplishment against this full strength Springfield offense. Upshaw #16 had a nice throw on Springfield's drive in the first half to #1 that led to their second TD that tied the game at 14, but Eds didn't give up the passing yards I feared going into this matchup.

Last edited:
OHIO RIVER BOY IS AWFULLY QUITE!!!!

He is back in his basement asking his mom to make him some poptarts to calm him down. Talks all this smack and disparages programs! Saying each year ,is Springfields year. Ed’s fans take it and compliment opponents. And tip hat to teams. He calls Ed’s cheaters and tells us how they going to smack them down. Then crawls back to basement. Hoping next years the year.

These official statistics confirm that the Eagles took control of the game in the fourth quarter:

1701548981674.png

The complete game stats can be found here:

He is back in his basement asking his mom to make him some poptarts to calm him down. Talks all this smack and disparages programs! Saying each year ,is Springfields year. Ed’s fans take it and compliment opponents. And tip hat to teams. He calls Ed’s cheaters and tells us how they going to smack them down. Then crawls back to basement. Hoping next years the year.
He’s big on using regular season stats and playoff performances as the basis of his argument. Ed’s is never going to have off the chart stats due to the quality schedule they play every year. None of that matters to me when you play games in late November when the weather takes a turn and you have to be able to run the ball and control the clock. Every game against Springfield, St. Edward was able to control the clock in the 4th quarter and keep Springfields best players on the sideline. That is a huge credit to Coach Lombardo. He knows how to win.

The key to success is learning which players fill the roles the best and making adjustments throughout the year. We saw that with Brandon White and eventually earning the starting role as a sophomore over a senior.

I was at the game, so my memory of some of these plays run together. I just watched the replay on Spectrum and unlike the comment in my last post, Springfield could have changed QBs on that last play before the half as they were forced to use their last time out because they didn't realize the clock restarted after placement of the ball with the first down. That last play must have been a called pass, but Upshaw #16 ran it figuring he could get in the end zone. That was a huge stop for Eds.

He’s big on using regular season stats and playoff performances as the basis of his argument. Ed’s is never going to have off the chart stats due to the quality schedule they play every year. None of that matters to me when you play games in late November when the weather takes a turn and you have to be able to run the ball and control the clock. Every game against Springfield, St. Edward was able to control the clock in the 4th quarter and keep Springfields best players on the sideline. That is a huge credit to Coach Lombardo. He knows how to win.

The key to success is learning which players fill the roles the best and making adjustments throughout the year. We saw that with Brandon White and eventually earning the starting role as a sophomore over a senior.
To your point, here are the 4th quarter stats in the last three championship games:
4thQtrTimeOfPossession.jpg

I think for the size of our dl we played as well as possible. From 7:00 mark on the size just became to much. Not to mention a starting lb went down early and a safety was having issues. No excuses just stating what happened. Cats fought to the end but its kind of comical getting trolled by fans of teams who would dream of making it this far based off of 1 fan

That last play must have been a called pass, but Upshaw #16 ran it figuring he could get in the end zone. That was a huge stop for Eds.
This. With 9 seconds, you can get two cracks at it only if the first one is a pass. Upshaw couldn't find a reciever but thought he could get to the pylon.

This. With 9 seconds, you can get two cracks at it only if the first one is a pass. Upshaw couldn't find a reciever but thought he could get to the pylon.
Good point. Both Upshaw and Scott were tough. Glad Eaton was able come up and make the stop.

I think for the size of our dl we played as well as possible. From 7:00 mark on the size just became to much. Not to mention a starting lb went down early and a safety was having issues. No excuses just stating what happened. Cats fought to the end but its kind of comical getting trolled by fans of teams who would dream of making it this far based off of 1 fan
Springfield was a really tough, resilient team. A lot of other teams would have folded their tents when Eds went up 14-0 in the 1st. Not Springfield. I thought they were as close to Massillon as we saw all year. I now understand how they beat Moeller.

Good point. Both Upshaw and Scott were tough. Glad Eaton was able come up and make the stop.
In the press conference, Mo allowed his guy was supposed to throw it away quickly if nothing was available, and did in fact go off script when he ran it.

Springfield was a really tough, resilient team. A lot of other teams would have folded their tents when Eds went up 14-0 in the 1st. Not Springfield. I thought they were as close to Massillon as we saw all year. I now understand how they beat Moeller.
Keep in mind, Bullock was out vs Massillon.

Douglass says they'll be back in this game to win it, and I believe him. SHS has become a dynasty as a small town public school in D1 that Ohio has never seen before. The slight difference in this game was the competitive imbalance St Eds has enjoyed for years. And I've posted about that before and after this game, as others have done. Given how it never was a level and even playing field, SHS played St Eds and Bullock the toughest of any team on St Ed's schedule this year. SHS made alot of history as a 5-5 #12 seed this year that no one else has ever done. So why don't you give up your recruiting and competitive advantage and see how well your team does??

Douglass says they'll be back in this game to win it, and I believe him. SHS has become a dynasty as a small town public school in D1 that Ohio has never seen before. The slight difference in this game was the competitive imbalance St Eds has enjoyed for years. And I've posted about that before and after this game, as others have done. Given how it never was a level and even playing field, SHS played St Eds and Bullock the toughest of any team on St Ed's schedule this year. SHS made alot of history as a 5-5 #12 seed this year that no one else has ever done. So why don't you give up your recruiting and competitive advantage and see how well your team does??
He’s made that promise multiple times
Can’t finish
And now we know
A 5-5 SHS isn’t quite at the level of a 5-5 St X. That’s what everyone said After the game

No. Elder played them much tougher actually
Even you said. Eds needed a last minute field goal to pull it out
Eds best SHS by 10 when someone ran out of gas in second half

Keep in mind, Bullock was out vs Massillon.
We didn’t lose to Massillon because Bullock was out. We lost to Massillon because we couldn’t tackle Owens.
injuries certainly play into outcomes, but I won’t use that excuse. The backup QB threw two TDs against Massillon, so he arguably did his part.
It might have been a different game if we were playing Brandon White #28 at that time, but we weren’t, so that’s just speculation. Massillon beat us fair and square.
I could argue Massillon prepared us for all the tough opponents we had down the stretch, including Springfield. Massillon is a great program. We’re in different divisions, so we don’t have to have competitive animosity. It’s more like competitive respect.

He’s made that promise multiple times
Can’t finish
And now we know
A 5-5 SHS isn’t quite at the level of a 5-5 St X. That’s what everyone said After the game
But X was a #8 seed, not #12. So SHS did make history this year as the #12 seed, also with Norman's kickoff return for TD. It will happen very soon. Same way it did with the GCL and R4.

We didn’t lose to Massillon because Bullock was out. We lost to Massillon because we couldn’t tackle Owens.
injuries certainly play into outcomes, but I won’t use that excuse. The backup QB threw two TDs against Massillon, so he arguably did his part.
It might have been a different game if we were playing Brandon White #28 at that time, but we weren’t, so that’s just speculation. Massillon beat us fair and square.
I could argue Massillon prepared us for all the tough opponents we had down the stretch, including Springfield. Massillon is a great program. We’re in different divisions, so we don’t have to have competitive animosity. It’s more like competitive respect.
Your backup qb is no Bullock. You would have won with Bullock. He runs very well.

But X was a #8 seed, not #12. So SHS did make history this year as the #12 seed, also with Norman's kickoff return for TD. It will happen very soon. Same way it did with the GCL and R4.
5-5 X is better than a 5-5 SHS
One finished
One didn’t. Can’t. Won’t
One has multiple state Trophies
Oh well. Everyone knows
That’s what everyone said

Status
Not open for further replies.