• Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Dalton

Votes: 32 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never doubted ML would win, but think Dalton might have stayed “in” the game longer had they muddied it up.

Good learning experience for their staff.
Exactly great learning experience. You just cannot give ML an Inch, because they will take a mile. They just never beat themselves, takes a tremendous effort by both coaches and players to beat them.

Attended the game with my dad ... #25 was a man out there for MSML. Dalton opened as if they might be able to move the ball on offense, had a few plays but couldn't sustain. Can't make mistakes vs ML and expect to be in the game. Dalton QB had little time to make decisions, the front 4 for ML were in his face early and often. #64 for Dalton played the 2nd quarter on one leg, showed some heart for sure. ML offense was doing whatever they wanted. That pick 6 ended any hope as Dalton had put some nice plays together on that drive. I expected a ML win but not quite in that manner. Good times with my Dad

Congrats to Marion. What a program!
When it comes to losses, sometimes you lose the game and sometimes you get beat. Dalton just experienced both. How have Valpo (maybe less resources), IU, or Purdue not sent a blank check to Mr. Goodwin’s office? I prefer small school ball, but I’d say his tenure should be studied by every level of competitive football.

Locally, Dial has been one of my favorites to follow so it’ll be interesting to see what’s next. Build on it, or rest on it?

How have Valpo (maybe less resources), IU, or Purdue not sent a blank check to Mr. Goodwin’s office?
He was approached about the Massillon job when Jason Hall was hired. He came up with an excuse why he couldn't.

To speak bluntly, most schools don't consider him to be an option to be pursued.

He was approached about the Massillon job when Jason Hall was hired. He came up with an excuse why he couldn't.

To speak bluntly, most schools don't consider him to be an option to be pursued.
He’s a principal for one thing…

Consider the Tigers the Yankees. Not everyone wants to deal with it… 🤷‍♂️

Have to tip your cap to the Marion local program - disciplined, lots of depth, good skill, sustained over years. Very impressive. Clearly the best team in the state. Dalton needed to play clean to have any chance and in the first quarter, the moment looked a little big for the dawgs with 4 penalties. The pick 6 and following few minutes after that were obviously the game. Dalton down 14-0, but having a nice drive, then the pick 6, potential 14 point swing, followed by punt return for TD. Game over. To make matters worse, Dalton’s most disruptive 2-way lineman/senior captain sustains a serious injury in that same stretch.
On the bright side, you get that first state trip done and hopefully acquit yourself better next time. Congrats again to the Flyers

I will admit I was wrong about this game, I expected Dalton to be more like Kirtland on offense smash mouth.
And I was wrong on their (Dalton's) defense. I saw that 14-7 game with Kirtland and Versailles vs Marion's low scoring game. I expected a low scoring game, Marion offense way over performed, defense was about what I figured.

Some observations, from a less sharp football addict--Flyer addict:
1. Shocked at how good Kirtland was. I seriously believed Versailles could/would win. Wish it had been ML playing them. How do you think that would have gone?
2. Shocked at how lost Dalton looked. They looked like they wondered why they were there. I didn't expect this. They were a bundle of raw nerves, poor guys.
3. (Other comments)--ML doesn't determine what division they are in. I assure you they don't care if they are in 7, 6, 5, or 4. They want one thing, which is one of their "secrets"--they want to PLAY FOOTBALL!
4. I laughed when the commentators were saying, before the half: "yes sir, Goodwin wants another TD--he wants to seal that win!!! (etc)" because my grandson was a Flyer for 4 years--playing the whole game from his sophomore year. He told me once he (and most of the other boys) REALLY wanted the state game to be over quick, because they knew they would win, but they were HUNGRY and they wanted to go HOME. I laughed all day at that. (We forget sometimes these are really justin everyday young boys). I have a feeling that may have had a teeny weeny bit to do with coach wanting the running clock...

My opinion ain't worth much, of course. My grandson made it up close and personal to me, and gave me a glimpse into Tim Goodwin, which I assure you, is fascinating.

Congratulations, Flyers. You guys are awesome, and you have given so many people such pleasure watching your games. You ROCK.

I thought it was obvious I was talking D7, but if not, here is your clarification.😁
They would certainly be in that same discussion for D6 and maybe 5 as well
Having watch D5-7 games in person, you were right the first time. MSML would win all 3. Perry & Kirtland would have scored on them but have no doubt Flyers would have won against both.

Attended the game with my dad ... #25 was a man out there for MSML. Dalton opened as if they might be able to move the ball on offense, had a few plays but couldn't sustain. Can't make mistakes vs ML and expect to be in the game. Dalton QB had little time to make decisions, the front 4 for ML were in his face early and often. #64 for Dalton played the 2nd quarter on one leg, showed some heart for sure. ML offense was doing whatever they wanted. That pick 6 ended any hope as Dalton had put some nice plays together on that drive. I expected a ML win but not quite in that manner. Good times with my Dad
thats what it is about... Hope your Dad enjoyed it!!

first time I have heard that.... I know he was up for the Mason job, he turned that down, and then became the principal at Marion

Defense and special teams, 14 quick points completely took Dalton out of their game.

Kirtland, Massillon and Marion all scored via defense special teams or both

Defense and special teams, 14 quick points completely took Dalton out of their game.

Kirtland, Massillon and Marion all scored via defense special teams or both
Interesting, in the D5 game Liberty Center got behind 7-0 and went 3&out on first 3 drives. But they kept pounding the ball and ended up making it tight game that went to the wire.

Dalton wasn’t going to win but they abandoned the run WAY too early.

Interesting, in the D5 game Liberty Center got behind 7-0 and went 3&out on first 3 drives. But they kept pounding the ball and ended up making it tight game that went to the wire.

Dalton wasn’t going to win but they abandoned the run WAY too early.
They didn’t abandon the run, your thought process changes when you suddenly find yourself down 28 points. No body wants to freak out, but everyone does

Collin Jones #64 played most of the first half with broken ankle/ leg. That kid is has a heart of a lion. We definitely didn't play great and it will be a learning experience. We have to replace some kids but hopefully will be back next year.
I watched him pull on one play and he jumped horizontally like 2 yards to get a piece of a guy.

first time I have heard that.... I know he was up for the Mason job, he turned that down, and then became the principal at Marion
I just can’t fathom him at a bigger school and all the headaches that come with it….or any school with headaches. ML is an extremely unique place and they have an extremely unique coach. It’s truly a match made for each other. There aren’t many other public schools that could handle HIS way.

I just can’t fathom him at a bigger school and all the headaches that come with it….or any school with headaches. ML is an extremely unique place and they have an extremely unique coach. It’s truly a match made for each other. There aren’t many other public schools that could handle HIS way.
explain his way?

I would say "His Way" is that he isn't going to a bigger school to hobnob with boosters, parents or other high ranking members of the community. He isn't going to deal with parents or entitled kids. He isn't going to recruit kids or throw you a lot of compliments. He just wants to coach coachable, accountable, tough kids football with his assistant coaches and all the other stuff is garbage. He isn't a salesman.

There is something to be said about being there before. Teams like Kirtland, Marion Local, Versailles, TCC, Ed's etc play with a different calmness. The game and spectacle are not overwhelming to them. When you go to state so often you players have been around it. In previous years they may have been in the stands watching - but they were there. They know what to expect.

When your making your first appearance or if your school has not been there in a long time - there are nerves. These are still high school kids - I think we forget that sometimes. There is also an intimidating feeling when you play against a perennial power like a Marion, Versailles, Kirtland, TCC, Ed's etc. In many cases their reputation proceeds them. Teams play tense and try to do things they normally would not do in an attempt to surprise their opponent. This goes for the coaches and staffs as well - they get as tight as the kids. The staffs of the above mentioned schools are usually calm as can be and that transfers to the kids. Based on that it's easy to see why Dalton got rolled up on. Things just snowball when mistakes are made and your opponent is very good.

I would say "His Way" is that he isn't going to a bigger school to hobnob with boosters, parents or other high ranking members of the community. He isn't going to deal with parents or entitled kids. He isn't going to recruit kids or throw you a lot of compliments. He just wants to coach coachable, accountable, tough kids football with his assistant coaches and all the other stuff is garbage. He isn't a salesman.
I will break my rule for one time to talk about this and I will be back 24 August.

Had a cousin on those first teams and his mom and dad said at a family gathering that at the coach and parents meeting before the season he said his job was to 'play the best 11, not the best 10 and your son'.

I dont see him ever wanting to be at a place where boosters and parents run wild. This area can be very old school, the coach is the coach and has the final say, and parents accept it.

When you win, Congrats Ste14ers, everyone generally falls in line.

See yall later!

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!

Massillon would run Goody out of town after they lose week 3 because he “sat” the entire offense for violating a team rule…and you know he would do it. And you know they would too.