Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Marion Local by 1-8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marion Local by 9-16

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 72 85.7%

• Total voters
Isn't that the town that has the restaurant that raises money for charity? The servers work for free and the entire tip goes for a good cause to help a person in need.
Yeah as someone said Osgood. They're the fancy dancy Maria Stein suburb with their town government and all, them and Chickasaw anyway.

Caught the Ansonia game on WOSN. Those scores came fast and furious in the second half. Ansonia was what I had expected, fairly stout up front but with next to no ability to throw the ball. Any team that has a chance to take down MSML has to be able to to run AND pass it effectively because if you are one dimensional, the Wizard will devise a defense to stop you in your tracks.
Disagree Kirtland does not throw the football, want to beat the Local Yocos, a team has to be extremely well coached esp. defensively like Kirtland or just have superior line play (which rarely happens) and overpower the Flyers at the LOS. Coldwater was at that level but for whatever reason the defense for the Cavs is not the same as it used to be, Versailles is on the cusp and if Jones stays at Versailles, they will be the next dominant team in Ohio along with Kirtland. John Cooper was fond of saying there are lot of good coaches well that may be true but there are only a few great coaches, Flyers were very fortunate to find one in Goodwin.

Edit: Goodwin is the reason why a small school like Marion Local can beat a good D3 team like Wapak, just like when Coldwater def. Mooney - Reed was the difference.

Last edited:
Disagree Kirtland does not throw the football, want to beat the Local Yocos, a team has to be extremely well coached esp. defensively like Kirtland or just have superior line play (which rarely happens) and overpower the Flyers at the LOS. Coldwater was at that level but for whatever reason the defense for the Cavs is not the same as it used to be, Versailles is on the cusp and if Jones stays at Versailles, they will be the next dominant team in Ohio along with Kirtland. John Cooper was fond of saying there are lot of good coaches well that may be true but there are only a few great coaches, Flyers were very fortunate to find one in Goodwin.

Edit: Goodwin is the reason why a small school like Marion Local can beat a good D3 team like Wapak, just like when Coldwater def. Mooney - Reed was the difference.
Post 202 in this thread https://yappi.com/forum/index.php?t...ter-12-1-vs-liberty-center-13-0.366511/page-7 is my thoughts on why the defense has not been up to snuff.

I am just saying that I have seen so many 1 dimensional teams, outside of Kirtland, that have zero chance. They were dominant and then get snuffed out. As for Kirtland, I believe that most recent loss the St13ners .......remember when MSML was up 2-3 TDs early. Flyer stuffed at the 5 yard line...was pushed all the way back to the 10 and the ball stripped. No way that should have been a fumble as his momentum was stopped 5 yards prior. MSML was in control, about to go up 21-28 and that just turned the tide.

but I digress.

Post 202 in this thread https://yappi.com/forum/index.php?t...ter-12-1-vs-liberty-center-13-0.366511/page-7 is my thoughts on why the defense has not been up to snuff.

I am just saying that I have seen so many 1 dimensional teams, outside of Kirtland, that have zero chance. They were dominant and then get snuffed out. As for Kirtland, I believe that most recent loss the St13ners .......remember when MSML was up 2-3 TDs early. Flyer stuffed at the 5 yard line...was pushed all the way back to the 10 and the ball stripped. No way that should have been a fumble as his momentum was stopped 5 yards prior. MSML was in control, about to go up 21-28 and that just turned the tide.

but I digress.
That was 2015 but you're correct, it wasn't a fumble in the slightest. The refs also had many questionable calls in that second half but Marion had other opportunities to put that game away and they didn't. Shouldn't have been close enough for the refs to dictate the outcome but Kirtland kept it close enough where one bad call could swing it their way. Hats off to them

That was 2015 but you're correct, it wasn't a fumble in the slightest. The refs also had many questionable calls in that second half but Marion had other opportunities to put that game away and they didn't. Shouldn't have been close enough for the refs to dictate the outcome but Kirtland kept it close enough where one bad call could swing it their way. Hats off to them
Once that momentum changed it was like men against boys. I do not think I have ever seen a bigger turn in emotion and momentum than that game. Seen bigger comebacks, but not full on momentum

Once that momentum changed it was like men against boys. I do not think I have ever seen a bigger turn in emotion and momentum than that game. Seen bigger comebacks, but not full on momentum
They ran 1 play over and over again that Marion could not stop. Perfectly designed by Tiger, it was a blitz busting play. I believe they scored all 3 of their touchdowns with that play. The final of the game was 22-20 and Kirtland got this last 2 point conversion to force Marion to get one as well. However when you watch the replay of 2 point conversion, the Kirtland TE never controlled the ball all the way to the ground and the refs awarded the 2 pt conversion anyway. It was a complete collapse for Marion in every facet including the refs. Kirtland fumbled the ball 4 times and got it back every time. Wild game

As for Kirtland, I believe that most recent loss the St13ners .......remember when MSML was up 2-3 TDs early. Flyer stuffed at the 5 yard line...was pushed all the way back to the 10 and the ball stripped. No way that should have been a fumble as his momentum was stopped 5 yards prior. MSML was in control, about to go up 21-28 and that just turned the tide.
Local's most recent loss to Kirtland was the state championship in 2018. Bruns at QB got injured on the first or second Steiner possession and they had no offense after that. Kirtland's offensive line that year looked like they all could have started at D1 schools right out of high school, they controlled the whole game and own 16-7, probably should have scored a lot more.

They ran 1 play over and over again that Marion could not stop. Perfectly designed by Tiger, it was a blitz busting play. I believe they scored all 3 of their touchdowns with that play. The final of the game was 22-20 and Kirtland got this last 2 point conversion to force Marion to get one as well. However when you watch the replay of 2 point conversion, the Kirtland TE never controlled the ball all the way to the ground and the refs awarded the 2 pt conversion anyway. It was a complete collapse for Marion in every facet including the refs. Kirtland fumbled the ball 4 times and got it back every time. Wild game
To me that fumble was T H E call of the game that changed the whole big mo and really was unacceptable. Any other calls, which I dont remember, well, you have calls every game that are iffy but that fumble was complete BS. Even if he had broken freen and ran for a TD after being pushed back 5 yards i woulda called the TD BS as he was down down down being held up and pushed back 5 yards.

but yea, i was wrong on the year that is for sure and thanks for pointing it out.

... Kirtland fumbled the ball 4 times and got it back every time. Wild game
In the 2015 state title game, I recall Kirtland fumbling only twice, wth ML also fumbling twice - regardless, I distinctly remember four fumbles and you're correct that Kirtland recovered all four.

Also, Marion's placekicker appeared to have booted a really nice onside kick following Marion's final td, but as it neared the 50 yard line (it had nearly traveled the required 10 yards toward the goal line) it took an unusual bounce and went out of bounds fairly close to the 50. It sounds excuse-oriented I know, but luck wasn't on ML's side that day.

And I do realize that luck favors the Flyers sometimes - for example, this season's extremely tight game vs Versailles.

Mooney was the same division, weren't they?

At the homecoming after the 2015 game Goodwin noted that he was incredulous about that fumble non-call (the play should have been whistled dead) and even a couple other calls during the game. We got some vengeance 2 years later when we trounced the Tigers and the "Lord have Mercy" rule was invoked. I doubt anyone has put a running clock on Kirtland before or since. As yet no one has accomplished that feat against Tim Goodwin's Flyers. After that game we were waiting to congratulate our players outside the stadium. As luck would have it, Tiger ambled through our fans on the way to the Kirtland buses. We gave him a round of applause (we were all standing, so it was actually a standing "O"). He broke out into the most interesting grin - like - "Yeah you clowns just clap, the Hornets and I will be back" - which they were a year later. We lost but hardly a running clock and if Nate Bruns had not been injured so early - who knows?? All conjecture! Rare is the coach who has beaten Goodwin in a state final. Tiger's done it twice which puts him in a category all his own. The teams are .500 against each other with more hopefully to come!

At the homecoming after the 2015 game Goodwin noted that he was incredulous about that fumble non-call (the play should have been whistled dead) and even a couple other calls during the game. We got some vengeance 2 years later when we trounced the Tigers and the "Lord have Mercy" rule was invoked. I doubt anyone has put a running clock on Kirtland before or since. As yet no one has accomplished that feat against Tim Goodwin's Flyers. After that game we were waiting to congratulate our players outside the stadium. As luck would have it, Tiger ambled through our fans on the way to the Kirtland buses. We gave him a round of applause (we were all standing, so it was actually a standing "O"). He broke out into the most interesting grin - like - "Yeah you clowns just clap, the Hornets and I will be back" - which they were a year later. We lost but hardly a running clock and if Nate Bruns had not been injured so early - who knows?? All conjecture! Rare is the coach who has beaten Goodwin in a state final. Tiger's done it twice which puts him in a category all his own. The teams are .500 against each other with more hopefully to come!
Awesome story telling. You just brought back a lot of great.... and not so great memories.

As CW? For awhile, yes. Cavs beat rhem in the finals twice. Now Ursuline, that's a different story.
I always found the Coldwater vs. Mooney/Ursuline fascinating. Mooney could never beat Coldwater, and Coldwater could never beat Ursuline. Even though Ursuline and Mooney at the time were pretty even.

I always found the Coldwater vs. Mooney/Ursuline fascinating. Mooney could never beat Coldwater, and Coldwater could never beat Ursuline. Even though Ursuline and Mooney at the time were pretty even.
CW was the benefactor of injuries to tuYCM QB both times. However, I think the first matchup it would not have mattered as the Cavs had a kid named Ross Homan who was an absolute difference maker. The CW/tuYU matchups.....the Irish were just too much. One game was close (with a snowstorm at half) and neither team was stopping the other. The close matchup the difference was CW got a FG off a TO, and Ursuline got a TD off a TO and then the cavs were stuffed at the 1 towards the end that woulda make it back to a 1 score game. One of those matchups tuYU had Ferguson and Foster I think there names were, and the OL just dominated.

An amazing stat unless my addition is wrong both Goodwin and LaVerde coached teams have loss a total of 8 games each since the beginning of the 2013 season.

An amazing stat unless my addition is wrong both Goodwin and LaVerde coached teams have loss a total of 8 games each since the beginning of the 2013 season.
I have Goodwin at 152-9 since the start of the 2013 season.

Losses: 2 in 2015, 1 in 2016 and 2017, 2 each in 2018 and 2019, 1 in 2020

*153-8 was correct, my apologies I misread the 2017 one*

Last edited:
If the Flyers could have won that game Mercer Co. would have had 3 state champs that year. Coldwater D-5, Fort Recovery D-7, Marion Local runner up D6.

but I digress.
actually, Kirtland back in 2014 against the Cats, threw the ball and hit a couple big passes , that was unusual for them back then, but the Cats sorta shut down their run, and dared them to pass...

CW was the benefactor of injuries to tuYCM QB both times. However, I think the first matchup it would not have mattered as the Cavs had a kid named Ross Homan who was an absolute difference maker. The CW/tuYU matchups.....the Irish were just too much. One game was close (with a snowstorm at half) and neither team was stopping the other. The close matchup the difference was CW got a FG off a TO, and Ursuline got a TD off a TO and then the cavs were stuffed at the 1 towards the end that woulda make it back to a 1 score game. One of those matchups tuYU had Ferguson and Foster I think there names were, and the OL just dominated.
Yeah, CW was way better the first time the played. Mooney was probably considerably better the second time they played, but CW found a way -- and it wasn't easy, because they were on the verge of getting their doors blown off -- as you know -- but kept fighting. Thought that was one or even the most impressive upsets in the past 20 years in title games.

The Ursuline teams CW ran into were sick, especially the Akise Teague team.

And bringing in Kirtland -- Tiger, when he as getting his program up to speed always had to go through Ursuline. I remember when they almost beat Ursuline -- maybe 2008 -- 18-17 -- Ursuline finished undefeated and beat Aaron Craft's team -- but that was when I knew Kirtland would be an issue. And later -- maybe 2012? -- they rallied from 24 down (getting every two point conversion!) and beat them 38-37. I think that was the year they lost to a really good CW team by 1 -- forget the score, but was pure defensive bloodletting.

Yeah, CW was way better the first time the played. Mooney was probably considerably better the second time they played, but CW found a way -- and it wasn't easy, because they were on the verge of getting their doors blown off -- as you know -- but kept fighting. Thought that was one or even the most impressive upsets in the past 20 years in title games.

The Ursuline teams CW ran into were sick, especially the Akise Teague team.

And bringing in Kirtland -- Tiger, when he as getting his program up to speed always had to go through Ursuline. I remember when they almost beat Ursuline -- maybe 2008 -- 18-17 -- Ursuline finished undefeated and beat Aaron Craft's team -- but that was when I knew Kirtland would be an issue. And later -- maybe 2012? -- they rallied from 24 down (getting every two point conversion!) and beat them 38-37. I think that was the year they lost to a really good CW team by 1 -- forget the score, but was pure defensive bloodletting.
Tuegue...that's right!