State budget includes law requiring cash sales

How is this different from my local filling station that charges me less for cash versus credit? Yes it is the opposite but still perfectly legal. Surprisingly I think it may end up the opposite eventually if they do both since the online one costs them more.
To me, the main benefit of paying with cash is to not have to go through the somewhat cumbersome process of filling everything out online to get the ticket.

Officiating perspective here - most schools pay electronically now versus cash or direct check. With the e-Ticketing its taking longer to get paid surprisingly since it is no longer cash from the till. I will be curious to see how this works with the requirement of using the new DragonFly system this year (which includes pay).
Schools aren’t required to use DragonFly.

Officiating perspective here - most schools pay electronically now versus cash or direct check. With the e-Ticketing it’s taking longer to get paid surprisingly since it is no longer cash from the till. I will be curious to see how this works with the requirement of using the new DragonFly system this year (which includes pay).
Is it because their remittances to you is coming out of the same, smaller account that previously operated on tills and had less cash-on-hand week over week — compared to a larger general account that they might write PO’s out of and would have more versatility in moving money to ensure there’s sufficient funds on hand?

I’m surprised that schools don’t just begin the given sports season with allocated funds to cover the cost of all officials’ payments that they’re on the hook for. That would seem easier to disburse out of.

So if I show up to a playoff game and a member of the school asks for payment, am I required to pay them since that would be the school taking money. Will schools themselves be able to pre sell tickets on site? How did
OHSAA confirm the law did not apply to the.?
OHSAA confirmed the law didn’t apply to them by directly asking the attorney general for an interpretation of the law.

And as the other poster pointed out, you aren’t paying a school for a playoff game. You pay online and it goes directly to the OHSAA. School never touches the money.

Is it because their remittances to you is coming out of the same, smaller account that previously operated on tills and had less cash-on-hand week over week — compared to a larger general account that they might write PO’s out of and would have more versatility in moving money to ensure there’s sufficient funds on hand?

I’m surprised that schools don’t just begin the given sports season with allocated funds to cover the cost of all officials’ payments that they’re on the hook for. That would seem easier to disburse out of.
I think this is just an anecdotal example. Since schools stopped doing cash/check payments, I’ve been paid much faster. I usually get the electronic funds before I’ve even left the venue.

There’s no requirement under the law that the online price and the cash price be the same. $7 online ticket, $50 cash ticket. Functionally, you’ve met the requirement of the law, and probably never have to deal with anyone paying cash.
More efficient to set cash price at $10 or $20 anyway. Less paper money, less time counting customer's change.

Officiating perspective here - most schools pay electronically now versus cash or direct check. With the e-Ticketing its taking longer to get paid surprisingly since it is no longer cash from the till. I will be curious to see how this works with the requirement of using the new DragonFly system this year (which includes pay).
When's the last time anybody got paid from the till? No treasurer should allow that because the state auditor won't.

I agree it should not be taking us longer to get paid. Some AD's transfer the money during the game, but as long as I get it by the next day I'm OK with it.

What I really don't like is waiting for a game check in the mail.

As one that rarely carries cash, the idea of going cashless didn't bother me in theory. It was how it was implemented. Everyone tacked on an extra 1-3 dollars for paying with card, which increased your cost. The other issue was the awful apps everyone used that you had to buy tickets through. They were not user friendly at all. Could have been so much better if they had a tablet with a square (portable credit card reader) at the gate/ticket office.

You should be afraid of a cashless society. It is one more step to erasing our USA boarders. One step closer to a global government, with a global banking system, global law enforcement, global judicial system, etc. That's a big no thank you from me.

You should be afraid of a cashless society. It is one more step to erasing ours USA boarders. One step closer to a global government, with a global banking system, global law enforcement, global judicial system, etc. That's a big no thank you from me.
Do you get paid by your employer in a cartoonish money bag emblazoned with a ‘$’ on the side? Have you gone your adult life without a single credit card?

There’s no requirement under the law that the online price and the cash price be the same. $7 online ticket, $50 cash ticket. Functionally, you’ve met the requirement of the law, and probably never have to deal with anyone paying cash.
OK, a few school employees might be that dumb, but why turn away paying customers and piss off voters?

I know some schools took cash for e-tickets, including playoff games. Easy to do, and will likely continue.

Reactions: y2h
How is this different from my local filling station that charges me less for cash versus credit? Yes it is the opposite but still perfectly legal. Surprisingly I think it may end up the opposite eventually if they do both since the online one costs them more.
A local gas station that I frequent discounts gas by 8 cents per gallon for this very reason.

Yes, this is a brilliant idea! Let's charge the tax payers who pay the property taxes that fund the school more for the option of paying cash. This is brilliance! You should be in government. Please don't ever try to run a business where you screw your customers. You won't be in business long.

Feel free to research it but any credit card transaction is costing you and the business or entity you are dealing with more money than any cash transaction. The ideal amount to keep credit card hidden fees down is to charge at least $10 per transaction. Any Schools that have been using these types of payments since covid are either charging the customer more to help cover their overall costs of equipment, service fees from their provider , Charges that are purchased with a fraudulent card or not charging enough for a ticket and are losing revenue they wouldn't have lost by accepting cash in the first place.

Feel free to research it but any credit card transaction is costing you and the business or entity you are dealing with more money than any cash transaction. The ideal amount to keep credit card hidden fees down is to charge at least $10 per transaction. Any Schools that have been using these types of payments since covid are either charging the customer more to help cover their overall costs of equipment, service fees from their provider , Charges that are purchased with a fraudulent card or not charging enough for a ticket and are losing revenue they wouldn't have lost by accepting cash in the first place.
Interestingly, most of the schools that I saw put out a release about the reason to move to cashless said it was a cost savings move.

I always had a tough time with that because charging the consumer more money isn't "cost savings" to me. It is simply raising prices. I imagine the fees that the ticket processors are getting from the schools are significantly higher than paying a couple of people to sell tickets for cash at a window.

Interestingly, most of the schools that I saw put out a release about the reason to move to cashless said it was a cost savings move.

I always had a tough time with that because charging the consumer more money isn't "cost savings" to me. It is simply raising prices. I imagine the fees that the ticket processors are getting from the schools are significantly higher than paying a couple of people to sell tickets for cash at a window.
The average charge on a transaction fee can run from 2.85% to 4.35% you sell 1,000 tickets for $10 thats $10,000 in sales now takeout the 3 or 4% in service charges alone and thats $300 or $400 in lost revenue. Much more than a parent volunteer or even 2 or 3 paid people working 6 hours between them at $10 a hour to sell tickets. Plus all the cash ticket sales you can get at the school pre sale the week of the game by having students purchase them in the schools office where the secretaries are selling them and collecting the cash and already getting paid as part of their days work. Heck as a Student Council Member ( back in the day) we used to go around to the homerooms the week of the games and sell tickets to the games on Friday night.

The schools save considerable costs in the holistic view of it. Less time to audit, less time spent counting cash, etc etc. it’s significant work-hours saved, and time=money and all that.

The average charge on a transaction fee can run from 2.85% to 4.35% you sell 1,000 tickets for $10 thats $10,000 in sales now takeout the 3 or 4% in service charges alone and thats $300 or $400 in lost revenue. Much more than a parent volunteer or even 2 or 3 paid people working 6 hours between them at $10 a hour to sell tickets. Plus all the cash ticket sales you can get at the school pre sale the week of the game by having students purchase them in the schools office where the secretaries are selling them and collecting the cash and already getting paid as part of their days work. Heck as a Student Council Member ( back in the day) we used to go around to the homerooms the week of the games and sell tickets to the games on Friday night.
The school isn’t incurring the fee, the payment processor is. That’s why they reach deals with companies like Hometown ticketing, so that they don’t have to pay those costs.

When's the last time anybody got paid from the till? No treasurer should allow that because the state auditor won't.

I agree it should not be taking us longer to get paid. Some AD's transfer the money during the game, but as long as I get it by the next day I'm OK with it.

What I really don't like is waiting for a game check in the mail.
And yet they do because it is not against audit principles as long as it is documented by using ticket sales. Or they write you a check in the locker room and take the $ from the till with documentation to recoup in their officiating account.

Further, Private schools part of OHSAA have different rules for accounting (and ticketing for that matter). I did six games at private schools this spring and everyone of them paid me in cash.

Next day would be OK with me too. The month plus I waited this spring in almost a dozen cases is unacceptable. To be honest, I'd love it if the OHSAA would mandate payment timeframes for schools. If I didn't pay an electrician independent contractor for 45 days I would sent many letters and then taken to court.

Last edited:
The school isn’t incurring the fee, the payment processor is. That’s why they reach deals with companies like Hometown ticketing, so that they don’t have to pay those costs.
Basically, the school needs to make their money, the processor needs to make their money, and the company like Hometown ticketing needs to make their money. That is why $7 tickets now cost $8.75 for the "convenience".

I think it was Akron public schools that still had their tickets at $6 and did not charge a convenience fee. I can appreciate that. Eat the extra cost if you want to use online ticketing for cost savings.

Schools aren’t required to use DragonFly.
That's debatable. We cannot send a game to an official without a complete profile which includes them inputting banking information.

I assign BB and SB for 65+ schools. Not one has told me they will use another system to pay since this is supposed to make their lives easier.

Treasurers/CFOs were told at training sessions they should be using DragonFly to process payments and collect financial records for game workers and officials. I have attended more than a dozen meetings on this and have yet to hear anyone from OHSAA say they support using arbiter or another system.

So why would they not use it if this is the case? At the end of the road, the Treasurer is who gets final say in how people are paid. And no good treasurer is going to say "sure lets use multiple systems that cost money that do the same thing" and answer to the taxpayers.

Basically, the school needs to make their money, the processor needs to make their money, and the company like Hometown ticketing needs to make their money. That is why $7 tickets now cost $8.75 for the "convenience".
The processor charges the fee to process the transaction and then passes it to the customer. Thus the customer of the product incurs the fee and passes it to the consumer unless they want to pay it themselves.