State budget includes law requiring cash sales

Interesting. I was never excited about getting away from cash totally. Too many people still like to show up at the last minute or without the headache of trying to find the site to buy tickets. It gets especially bad when trying to buy tickets in a dead zone. This should make some oldtimers very happy.

Interesting. I was never excited about getting away from cash totally. Too many people still like to show up at the last minute or without the headache of trying to find the site to buy tickets. It gets especially bad when trying to buy tickets in a dead zone. This should make some oldtimers very happy.
As one that rarely carries cash, the idea of going cashless didn't bother me in theory. It was how it was implemented. Everyone tacked on an extra 1-3 dollars for paying with card, which increased your cost. The other issue was the awful apps everyone used that you had to buy tickets through. They were not user friendly at all. Could have been so much better if they had a tablet with a square (portable credit card reader) at the gate/ticket office.

They should be able to change it to include the OHSAA rather easily
It won’t be easy. They’d have to pass an entire new law, which takes time and would bring attention to the matter as opposed to sneaking it into the budget bill, or wait for the next budget bill in two years.

The recently passed state budget now requires high schools to accept cash sales for athletic events. Doesn’t apply to OHSAA tournament games (by accident, not by design).
I saw this also. Will it be in effect for this upcoming school year or does it not happen until the new budget cycle in 24-25?

I read through a summary and there are some things included in the budget that you wouldn't think would be.

I saw this also. Will it be in effect for this upcoming school year or does it not happen until the new budget cycle in 24-25?

I read through a summary and there are some things included in the budget that you wouldn't think would be.
It will be in effect for the upcoming school year. However, schools are already devising loopholes to functionally get around the law.

1688731671590.png

There’s no requirement under the law that the online price and the cash price be the same. $7 online ticket, $50 cash ticket. Functionally, you’ve met the requirement of the law, and probably never have to deal with anyone paying cash.
Under the definitions posted, that's going to be hard to argue. "full cost" implies the online payment would be the full cost of the ticket. And if you show up with cash to cover the full cost of the ticket then they either accept it or you're let in for free if they refuse to accept the cash.

Under the definitions posted, that's going to be hard to argue. "full cost" implies the online payment would be the full cost of the ticket. And if you show up with cash to cover the full cost of the ticket then they either accept it or you're let in for free if they refuse to accept the cash.
It isn’t hard to argue. That’s the full cost of the cash ticket sale. Laws implying something don’t work out well. It has to actually say it, and this law does not. Obviously a spectator is free to sue and argue that, but who’s going to be willing to pay for that lawsuit?

I do not read this as having an OHSAA exemption as the contests are all school affiliated. There would have to be a specific OHSAA exemption stated in the law. The only specified exemption are for pro fields and private facilities.

It specifically says the law only applies to “qualifying schools” that sell tickets. The schools don’t sell the tickets to the postseason events, the OHSAA does. The OHSAA already confirmed the law does not apply to them.

Schools taking this route would deserve every bit of the enmity they get. Legal? Sure. Sketchy? Yep.
I agree with that. I think they can do it, but would be surprised if any do just because of the blowback. I could see them charging a dollar or two more to cover some of the new costs they’ll incur again, but would be surprised if any school has the stones to try a full price-out.

It specifically says the law only applies to “qualifying schools” that sell tickets. The schools don’t sell the tickets to the postseason events, the OHSAA does. The OHSAA already confirmed the law does not apply to t
So if I show up to a playoff game and a member of the school asks for payment, am I required to pay them since that would be the school taking money. Will schools themselves be able to pre sell tickets on site? How did
OHSAA confirm the law did not apply to the.?

So if I show up to a playoff game and a member of the school asks for payment, am I required to pay them since that would be the school taking money.
They wouldn’t be asking for payment; they’d be asking for the ticket you were to have bought from the OHSAA, so that it could be scanned and verified that indeed you purchased the good from the vendor selling it.

I have season passes to Kings Island. I also have the meal and drink plan. So I have no need to carry a wallet. Which means they get no more money from me. Same with schools you don't take cash, fine, I won't buy anything from you.

Schools taking this route would deserve every bit of the enmity they get. Legal? Sure. Sketchy? Yep.
How is this different from my local filling station that charges me less for cash versus credit? Yes it is the opposite but still perfectly legal. Surprisingly I think it may end up the opposite eventually if they do both since the online one costs them more.

Officiating perspective here - most schools pay electronically now versus cash or direct check. With the e-Ticketing its taking longer to get paid surprisingly since it is no longer cash from the till. I will be curious to see how this works with the requirement of using the new DragonFly system this year (which includes pay).