Transfers and player movement

High school transferring does bother me, not what high school athletics is about.

May 2018 transfer rules changed it is easier to transfer to a public district that has open enrollment than a private school.

Last edited:
Why should it bother me? College athletes transferring doesn't bother me either.

It actually amazes me how much this stuff bothers other people.
This answer is like the posters who say just practice harder when their once in a life time team gets wiped out by somebody like St. V. in a state championship game. Carry on with this thread.

My opinion on this definitely changed over the years after witnessing the landscape and coaching in high school basketball now in Ohio, Wv and Pa. Talented kids should be able to do what is best for their basketball future just like the coaches who jump ship. Competition at the top is fierce in all Ohio divisions and three or four teams have the state championship on lockdown in each division. With the hope of winning state gone, players are now looking to find a team and a coach that fits their skill level and gives them the best opportunity to get their school paid. Maybe it gives them a chance to play with friends or win a league title, or just get to play if they sitting on a team that is too good or too deep for their skill set. Maybe it’s a combo of athletics and academics or maybe it’s bad team mates or lack of discipline. All are possible. As far as building super teams, it’s just the landscape now. For those who say it’s not what high school is about. We said the same thing about college and now we have the portal which makes it hard for hs seniors to get recruited. In the end I’m not trying to pay those kids college tuition, it’s them so who am I to say they should stay and lose out. Things change.

This answer is like the posters who say just practice harder when their once in a life time team gets wiped out by somebody like St. V. in a state championship game. Carry on with this thread.
Lol then the better team wins the game no coach is complaining about losing to a catholic school they are talking about their teams effort and performance its not about who you play its how you play

Because its not what HS Sports should be about! Whether it bothers you, me or anyone doesn't make it right.
What is HS supposed to be about exactly? A lot of HS is about preparing yourself for you future and hopefully that leads to some success. Choosing a high school based on education or extra curricular activities or programs like music, band, baseball, art, etc just does not bother me .

It doesn't bother me when some kid picks a high school for art or violin and I feel the same way if a baseball player chooses Walsh or Moeller because that is his hobby/interest.

I respect the fact that it does bother people. To each their own. I should also point out I don't have kids..just a sports fan.

Last edited:
What is HS supposed to be about exactly? A lot of HS is about preparing yourself for you future and hopefully that leads to some success. Choosing a high school based on education or extra curricular activities or programs like music, band, baseball, art, etc just does not bother.

It doesn't bother me when some kid pics a high school for art or violin and I feel the same way if a baseball player chooses Walsh or Moeller because that is his hobby/interest.

I respect the fact that it does bother people. To each their own. I should also point out I don't have kids..just a sports fan.
Lol, name me two kids that changed HS's because one has a better art or violin class?? Let alone name me ONE kid in the whole state that changed HS's 3 times chasing that superior art program. Bet you can't. And HS is about growing up in a community with other friends and family. And please I don't buy the colleges can't find you if you're not on a winning program. But both of these have been kicked to death, you asked what its suppose to be and I gave MY OPINION.

Lol then the better team wins the game no coach is complaining about losing to a catholic school they are talking about their teams effort and performance its not about who you play its how you play
Yes the better team that gets kids from 5 counties is the better team that won the game. Coaches don't openly complain but you're clueless to think what goes on isn't BS. And you're also clueless to say no coaches complain as I can give a few that did openly complain about the nonsense.

Are once in a life time teams owed a state championship? Maybe one school’s once in a lifetime team is only good enough to be a regional runner up or champ. That’s just how it works…..settled on the field or court not because a school is due or it’s owed to them

Yes the better team that gets kids from 5 counties is the better team that won the game. Coaches don't openly complain but you're clueless to think what goes on isn't BS. And you're also clueless to say no coaches complain as I can give a few that did openly complain about the nonsense.
Many have openly complained….while attempting to do the same things behind the scenes that they complain about. Can I introduce you to Mo Douglass head football coach at Springfield?

With the hope of winning state gone, players are now looking to find a team and a coach that fits their skill level and gives them the best opportunity to get their school paid.
This is an awful statement. There may be less than 10% that do this. There needs to be an in depth story done on just how few kids get a basketball scholarship. D1's yes for most, D2, particials at best and after that it's pay to play. How many people pay thousands of dollars for decade for their kid to play AAU ball to get recognized, only to pay another 4-5 years of college?? The whole process is ridiculous.

Are once in a life time teams owed a state championship? Maybe one school’s once in a lifetime team is only good enough to be a regional runner up or champ. That’s just how it works…..settled on the field or court not because a school is due or it’s owed to them
No but they are owed the same chance as every school and shouldn't have to face a team thats QB travels thru 3 counties to go to that school, ditto on 3 offensive lineman, ditto on LB's and RB's. Hoban has more D1 football players on their team than most D1 schools have in a 20 year span. Great coaching I guess.

Fixed it for you don't put one coach as what most coaches do.
Couple vs many. Ok chief. If a star player wanted to “move in” or transfer to a school how many programs that do it the “right way” would refuse to sell their program to the player and simply say “if we see you on day 1 we see you….good luck”? My guess is not many

Cincy Moeller just beat Walsh Jesuit in baseball. 17 of the 18 starters on both sides have signed to play baseball with colleges. Now let me know how many public schools have their entire starting lineup as college players but yep all equal.

Cincy Moeller just beat Walsh Jesuit in baseball. 17 of the 18 starters on both sides have signed to play baseball with colleges. Now let me know how many public schools have their entire starting lineup as college players but yep all equal.
So just last year, in Ohio, the entire final four D1 baseball teams ( Northview, Kenston, Grove City, and Mason) were all public schools.

And, 3 of those 4 teams knocked off a private school (St I, Walsh, Moe) in their regional final to advance to the final four.

Were you whining about equality last year? 🤔

So just last year, in Ohio, the entire final four D1 baseball teams ( Northview, Kenston, Grove City, and Mason) were all public schools.

And, 3 of those 4 teams knocked off a private school (St I, Walsh, Moe) in their regional final to advance to the final four.

Were you whining about equality last year? 🤔
Nope, just take the % over the long haul not just one year. And not whining just stating facts?

If you build it, they will come. What is wrong with sending your kid to a school where if he or she performs well they will probably be in line for a scholly. You don't see many scouts in any sport lining up to see a public school contest simply because there is not the same quantity of potential athletes going to the next level. If you have an above average athlete in any sport and are willing to cough up the tuition money in exchange for more eyeballs on Johnny or Joanie then go for it. I have no problem with kids in private and/or parochial schools simply because there are as many non athletes that attend these schools for reasons other than an athletic scholarship. If you want to rag on private and/or parochial schools for imbalance then take your petitions to the state legislature and/or the OHSAA and have them rework the rules and regs. So tired of the whining and low information posters that can't get it through their thick skulls that this is a free and open marketplace in all endeavors including education. GBM 💪 ⚾

Nope, just take the % over the long haul not just one year. And not whining just stating facts?
Sure…..what about your last sentence is just stating facts. Is it unfair that a higher percentage of Harvard grads have 6 figure offers out of college than Wright State grads? Is it unfair that a higher % of football players in the south get college scholarships than those in Ohio? It may just be that these colleges are more likely to give scholarships to players a solid player from one program over the other because of the reputation of that school. If money wasn’t an issue would you send your kid to Harvard or Wright State? I mean Wright State is right down the interstate……how many colleges do you have to drive past to get to Harvard?

meanwhile, in the other D1 semifinal, the losing team surrendered 14 opposing free baserunners via walks or hit batters… in a game that played to 9 innings.

Sometimes the best publics alive don’t have good teams, or good enough teams. Had they somehow survived that game, it wouldn’t make a difference if they played Moeller, Elder, DeSales, Mason, Lakota West or whoever the hell in the state final. Still would’ve lost.

Sure…..what about your last sentence is just stating facts. Is it unfair that a higher percentage of Harvard grads have 6 figure offers out of college than Wright State grads? Is it unfair that a higher % of football players in the south get college scholarships than those in Ohio? It may just be that these colleges are more likely to give scholarships to players a solid player from one program over the other because of the reputation of that school. If money wasn’t an issue would you send your kid to Harvard or Wright State? I mean Wright State is right down the interstate……how many colleges do you have to drive past to get to Harvard?
Well derailing this thread a bit but HS and college "should" be different animals. no? Another scenerio back at you. If salesman A is selling gadgets in one county and salesman B can sell them in 6 counties, who is going to do better? Is their boss going to tell salesman A to just work harder and longer? No, its a nearly impossible task?

Well derailing this thread a bit but HS and college "should" be different animals. no? Another scenerio back at you. If salesman A is selling gadgets in one county and salesman B can sell them in 6 counties, who is going to do better? Is their boss going to tell salesman A to just work harder and longer? No, its a nearly impossible task?
I appreciate your scenarios but there is no such thing as equal opportunity in the sales world either. Are you really saying that these kids are owned by the public school district that they grew up in and shouldn’t be able to go to a school that they feel gives them better opportunity…..public or private? Because here in Columbus it happens in the public schools as much as the privates. More often than not the schools that are perceived to give the kid better opportunity are historically successful programs. Pickerington Central has kids wanting to “move in” from all over the state…..there is no Saint or Bishop in front of their name. Should they be thrown out as well along with the Catholics?

Lol, name me two kids that changed HS's because one has a better art or violin class?? Let alone name me ONE kid in the whole state that changed HS's 3 times chasing that superior art program. Bet you can't. And HS is about growing up in a community with other friends and family. And please I don't buy the colleges can't find you if you're not on a winning program. But both of these have been kicked to death, you asked what its suppose to be and I gave MY OPINION.
Are you being serious??

I am from the east side suburbs of Cleveland. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many people I have known since 8th grade up until now who chose to "change schools" because of an athletic or academic program or a interest their child had. Meaning instead of continuing the public education and going to the local public 9-12 they SWITCH it up and find a private that suits their needs, often bases on their child's interest (common sense)

I grew up in University Hts. We literally have the HIGHEST percentage in the state of Ohio of any community for kids going to private school. Around 45-50% of UH kids are in private schools.

Anybody from my area can verify there is a sizable group of people in UH, Cleveland Hts, Shaker Hts etc who are public school K-8 then go private for HS.

I agree
That’s not
What
High School sports is about but unfortunately the parochial schools have the advantage of recruiting everywhere, this subject has been brought up before. Should the parochial schools have their own state championship and conferences or should everyone including the public schools have open enrollment.
This used to be true, but Richmond hts, Garfield Cleveland hts have been doing great recruiting.
Public schools have huge advantage on getting transfers over Catholic it’s much harder to transfer into a Catholic school once you played a year in highschool. Public just lie and get an address or move. Catholic schools have advantage getting kids out of middleschools. But once in highschool public has a huge advantage on transfers, These are facts

This used to be true, but Richmond hts, Garfield Cleveland hts have been doing great recruiting.
Public schools have huge advantage on getting transfers over Catholic it’s much harder to transfer into a Catholic school once you played a year in highschool. Public just lie and get an address or move. Catholic schools have advantage getting kids out of middleschools. But once in highschool public has a huge advantage on transfers, These are facts
Maybe no one saw this the first time:

High school transferring does bother me, not what high school athletics is about.

May 2018 transfer rules changed it is easier to transfer to a public district that has open enrollment than a private school,

What bothers Me is when these kids and their runners post about them transferring before they have even enrolled in the school. Saw some fancy graphics for two transfers to Aiken before school was even out.

I was in favor of the previous transfer rules that were more stringent and prevented a LOT of this Willy Nilly transferring. I didn’t care about how the transferring affected the basketball teams record, I was concerned about how it affected the kids. In talking with many student athletes 5-10 years ago they felt were having their lives disrupted for a sport when they got moved to a new school and the transfer rule protected many of the kids from being switched on the whim of a parent.