New National Spring Prep League Introduced.

tom 48

The league intends to allow high school players to profit off their name, image and likeness without restrictions. It is slated to have teams in Cleveland, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, New Jersey, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco and Tampa.

Could the state disqualify any player from playing in the fall if they get NIL money?

Last edited:

The league intends to allow high school players to profit off their name, image and likeness without restrictions. It is slated to have teams in Cleveland, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, New Jersey, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco and Tampa.

Could the state disqualify any player from playing in the fall if they get NIL money?
Regulation under the 7.4 section prohibits this participation for Ohio students to begin with, because the dates it’d span is under that disallowed August 1 to May 31 window.

00DF7E25-6E27-4370-8CF2-BF2613AC2784.jpeg

Last edited:
Regulation under the 7.4 section prohibits this participation for Ohio students to begin with, because the dates it’d span is under that disallowed August 1 to May 31 window.

View attachment 42346
It's not just the dates, all activities must be non-contact. I suspect this announcement is just a trial balloon to see how badly it gets shot down. He didn't even do enough homework to know Ohio students can't participate in this.

Last edited:
I hope it gets shot down. We don't need "AAU Football". I think we need to refocus on community HS football in Ohio. It is what makes the sport great. Playing for your school with the band in the stands and the whole community rooting them on is so much better than these new prepackaged teams/leagues trying to profit off of the great game that was built over a century.

No need for NIL discussion:

"Potential recruits could pay what Woods called a “player development fee” to participate in the league, similar to AAU basketball."

What would be extremely difficult to have this league work for the following reasons:

1. Having your best players participate would be paramount, but what players would see this as being worth it to put injuries on the line?

2. Track Season

3. What is the benefit to joining this league? Most players at Sophomore level they would be looking at are already verbally committed, much like say the NFL Combine, why risk your value in this thing?

4. How is money being made other than charging the players, in turn, how could players profit from this?

Anyone trying to do something like this *in addition* to a traditional high school career will obviously fail. But we will eventually see someone try something like this as an *alternative* to a high school career. Which will probably also fail.

No need for NIL discussion:

"Potential recruits could pay what Woods called a “player development fee” to participate in the league, similar to AAU basketball."

What would be extremely difficult to have this league work for the following reasons:

1. Having your best players participate would be paramount, but what players would see this as being worth it to put injuries on the line?

2. Track Season

3. What is the benefit to joining this league? Most players at Sophomore level they would be looking at are already verbally committed, much like say the NFL Combine, why risk your value in this thing?

4. How is money being made other than charging the players, in turn, how could players profit from this?
Small capital operations can be profitable, and generally successful, in less contact-intensive sports like baseball/softball, basketball, volleyball and soccer. Business model that relies on volume f(x) = interest (customers) and timeframe longevity. Trying to capitalize on football isn’t possible in a small capital operation — it would likely take 50M at least, and a ton of patience, to get something revolutionary like this idea off the ground and past a first year.

Your post highlights the conceptual challenges of the idea well.

— — —
tbh, I really wouldn’t be surprised if this gets ran as some scummy operation where they’ll end up targeting inner-city youth as the primary clientele and what ends up happening is they get the kids to trade in their fall football eligibility for an opportunity to be the only football played nationally come spring.

Straight connection can be drawn between ‘NIL’ allure (which, BTW, no promise that a kid will obtain any NIL money) and who is going to be clientele. Relationship between economics/poverty and the belief that sports can be the pathway to a better life short-term and long-term.

Small capital operations can be profitable, and generally successful, in less contact-intensive sports like baseball/softball, basketball, volleyball and soccer. Business model that relies on volume f(x) = interest (customers) and timeframe longevity. Trying to capitalize on football isn’t possible in a small capital operation — it would likely take 50M at least, and a ton of patience, to get something revolutionary like this idea off the ground and past a first year.

Your post highlights the conceptual challenges of the idea well.

— — —
tbh, I really wouldn’t be surprised if this gets ran as some scummy operation where they’ll end up targeting inner-city youth as the primary clientele and what ends up happening is they get the kids to trade in their fall football eligibility for an opportunity to be the only football played nationally come spring.

Straight connection can be drawn between ‘NIL’ allure (which, BTW, no promise that a kid will obtain any NIL money) and who is going to be clientele. Relationship between economics/poverty and the belief that sports can be the pathway to a better life short-term and long-term.
They'll 'finance' their participation fee based on their expected NIL rights. They then collect NIL rights, but probably won't cover the original Fee. They'd then owe the financing once they're in college, or after.

They also aren't covering insurance.

One step closer to the total dismantling of intercholastic sports.

The cesspool known as the AAU will pale with regards to the cut-throat actions that will come with this mindset (that middle school and high school athletics should emulate major college athletics)

I absolutley cannot wait to see the first news story involving a parent whining that their kid got taken...... I won't feel sorry for them one bit.

I think you can see this is pretty much a scam, since the "organizers" didn't even bother to see if this new league is in accordance with the rules of the state associations. Caveat emptor!

I think you can see this is pretty much a scam, since the "organizers" didn't even bother to see if this new league is in accordance with the rules of the state associations. Caveat emptor!
I just don't understand where they're going to get the fans to support such a league. It's clear they're not going to play them but they still need funding for stadiums, travel, practice, uniforms, equipment, etc.

I just don't understand where they're going to get the fans to support such a league. It's clear they're not going to play them but they still need funding for stadiums, travel, practice, uniforms, equipment, etc.
Private businesses (tax write offs) would probably the biggest funding. The no insurance thing, is a huge red flag, I didn't read the article but I am sure they are a LLC and will file bankruptcy first injury that is serious.

I don't know how it will work or how it will happen but sooner or later something like this will happen and it will sway the balance of power in high school football. Like I said I have no idea how but a governing body including the OHSAA will make it work.

NIL Money coming from what? This seems like a total disaster in the making.

Trading Cards? Please.

At least IMG Academy can have concern about it.

It won’t be supported by fans, it’ll be supported by tuition and corporate sponsors, ideally.

Seems like the fans really don't matter in this equation. The goal is to sucker enough young athletes to pay the bill for a couple true stars to come to this league. Once they get that one or two stars to sign with a big-name college, they hope they will be viewed as the farm system for college football.

Seems like they are trying to reinvent something that already works really well so the owners can line their pockets by taking over the sport. Not impressed with this league or the owner that is trying to ruin a very good thing.

Just waiting for the "I'm doing it for the underprivileged kids" line that is sure to be coming.

If this league comes to fruition, I think it will be like the United States Hockey League where players leave their home and their high school behind to go play in an elite-level league.

All of this work and misleading families to chase a scholarship that only about 3% of high school football players have a chance at. Imagine if the parents who will do this to their kids would invest the same amount of time, motivation and resources into their child's academics?
I love high school football, but this is just insanity.