2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great to hear. The one comment made it seem like that teams were practicing 2 hours a day for 5 days a week.
Not sure if there's a rule against practicing that many days a week, and I wonder if that is the norm in the junior high public school leagues.

When I mentioned 10+ hours before I was just totaling it up because if you're coaching, most times you're going to arrive earlier than the kids for practice, plus stick around afterwards until each kid gets picked up. Then on game days, if you're a Varsity coach for instance, you'll have pregame warm-up, then a game which can run 90 minutes to 2 hours, and potentially after that, cleanup of the field.

It's not uncommon for football coaches to put in 10-12-15+ hours, in a given week. And some/many of them don't have a child on the team the team they coach. It's definitely a big time commitment.

Last edited:
Not sure if there's a rule against practicing that many days a week, and I wonder if that is the norm in the junior high public school leagues.

When I mentioned 10+ hours before I was just totaling it up because if you're coaching, most times you're going to arrive earlier than the kids for practice, plus stick around afterwards until each kid gets picked up. Then on game days, if you're a Varsity coach for instance, you'll have pregame warm-up, then a game which can run 90 minutes to 2 hours, and potentially after that, cleanup of the field.

It's not uncommon for football coaches to put in 10-12-15+ hours in, in a given week. And some/many of them don't have a child on the team the team they coach. It's definitely a big time commitment.
Sure, I took it as they were practicing 10 hours a week.

St James was 5-3 during the season and lost their first playoff game to Cov Cath. Are we sure they had 50+ kids on Varsity. I saw them practicing one night when I went to a 6th grade B game at St James. Maybe 30 players at most were there. I’m not disputing anything said here but just relating what I saw.
I'm not sure if it was 50 but it was a ton. Even having 35 is a lot if you don't play a full B schedule.

Here is what happens: Coach plays everyone and team loses while starters play maybe 2 qtrs. and the stars play 3. Backups are getting 1-2 qtrs of real game action. The backups all play the entire B game meaning starters play 2/3 qtrs and backups play 5/6. This is real life scenarios that happen and can be frustrating for all involved.

I'm not sure if it was 50 but it was a ton. Even having 35 is a lot if you don't play a full B schedule.

Here is what happens: Coach plays everyone and team loses while starters play maybe 2 qtrs. and the stars play 3. Backups are getting 1-2 qtrs of real game action. The backups all play the entire B game meaning starters play 2/3 qtrs and backups play 5/6. This is real life scenarios that happen and can be frustrating for all involved.

I'm not following your example. Starters play 2/3 qtrs and backups play 5/6? I think your math is off, and there are B games every game? Why not just have another division in the league if you need B games.

I'm not following your example. Starters play 2/3 qtrs and backups play 5/6? I think your math is off, and there are B games every game? Why not just have another division in the league if you need B games.
For some schools....

Play game on Saturday and all the kids play... A lot of the starters have to sit for all the kids to get time...

B game on Wednesday that involves no starters. Subs playing 3/4 qtrs in that game as well.

St James was 5-3 during the season and lost their first playoff game to Cov Cath. Are we sure they had 50+ kids on Varsity. I saw them practicing one night when I went to a 6th grade B game at St James. Maybe 30 players at most were there. I’m not disputing anything said here but just relating what I saw.
I think some have the years confused. Not sure what their numbers were last season but they absolutely had around 50 for the 2021 varsity season.

If you have 22 kids, there's no reason everyone shouldn't be getting time.

And the starters need rest, especially as they get older. Once you hit varsity, most kids can't play the whole game especially when it's hot. They need breaks. Especially at the varsity level. So the starters "sitting" is out of necessity. You need capable back-ups that have to be developed and given opportunity.

I think some have the years confused. Not sure what their numbers were last season but they absolutely had around 50 for the 2021 varsity season.

What I'm reading then is St. James has a high and low team due to their high numbers. High team plays on Saturdays and low team plays during the week. That is a pretty unfair advantage to normal teams competitively speaking. That is a lot of coaching for a staff, but if it works for them as long as kids are getting playing time that is important. I'm surprised the league didn't step in to divide the team up. Could their low team have just played in the smaller school division?

I’m so glad Trey’s nephew was cut 10 yrs ago. I go to sleep happy knowing it has left such a permanent scar on his soul. His unhappiness gives me life.

I’m so glad Trey’s nephew was cut 10 yrs ago. I go to sleep happy knowing it has left such a permanent scar on his soul. His unhappiness gives me life.
Good one. That's actually pretty funny.

Glad I'm always on your mind.

Oddly random as well. I'm sure this is heading somewhere.

It's not going to end well in the next couple of years for Omar however. That talent gap is growing wider and he knows it. Should have developed more kids instead of just the "studs". Also, if anyone wants to look back and assess fact vs fiction over that same period of time, it's clear who's been right and who is clueless.

What I'm reading then is St. James has a high and low team due to their high numbers. High team plays on Saturdays and low team plays during the week. That is a pretty unfair advantage to normal teams competitively speaking. That is a lot of coaching for a staff, but if it works for them as long as kids are getting playing time that is important. I'm surprised the league didn't step in to divide the team up. Could their low team have just played in the smaller school division?

Im not sure what James was doing when they had all those kids. I just remember them having around 50 during their Saturday varsity games in 2021. If they actually divided up the teams then I would think the B team could have absolutely played in division 2 or 3.

For some schools....

Play game on Saturday and all the kids play... A lot of the starters have to sit for all the kids to get time...

B game on Wednesday that involves no starters. Subs playing 3/4 qtrs in that game as well.
Yes, but in my experience, the subs are only playing a couple minutes in the fourth of the A games. Sometimes a bit more if the game is out of hand.

I have no idea Trey's motivation with his posts, but his posts in this thread scream soccer mom and participation trophies.

I have no idea Trey's motivation with his posts, but his posts in this thread scream soccer mom and participation trophies.
He’s bitter and it shows. There’s legitimate ways to be critical of Elder athletics without it coming off as personal. These attacks are extremely personal to him.

Yes, but in my experience, the subs are only playing a couple minutes in the fourth of the A games. Sometimes a bit more if the game is out of hand.
Yep, I would agree with this. Most of the coaches in the league are pretty good about knowing when to make whole unit substitutions. Others, not so much.

Yep, I would agree with this. Most of the coaches in the league are pretty good about knowing when to make whole unit substitutions. Others, not so much.
Yes, and I'm not sure why they don't. A while back, our kids lost a game they led 6-0 the whole game when our subs came in with five minutes to play in the game and and kids on the other side stood on the sidelines and never played. It wasn't a westside team.

Just discussing some changes that are think are necessary for the league to exist in 5-10 years. It's not on death row, but there are things coming that require some vision (BOL impact, less kids playing football so more developmental time needed).

People get so mad when an outsider recommends change here. It's very odd. You all take it personal when it's just different ideas.

Sure, everyone likes to win, but it's as much about developing a broader scope of kids. That's not happening.

Throwing kids in with 2 minutes left of a blowout isn't development. It's pity.

Just discussing some changes that are think are necessary for the league to exist in 5-10 years. It's not on death row, but there are things coming that require some vision (BOL impact, less kids playing football so more developmental time needed).

People get so mad when an outsider recommends change here. It's very odd. You all take it personal when it's just different ideas.

Sure, everyone likes to win, but it's as much about developing a broader scope of kids. That's not happening.

Elder along with the entire West Side of Cincinnati don't deal with change very well. Your posts have been accurate for a long time!

He’s bitter and it shows. There’s legitimate ways to be critical of Elder athletics without it coming off as personal. These attacks are extremely personal to him.
What attacks are you talking about? I've said:

* They need to develop more kids because they don't go get athletes
* They focus on grade school stars too much
* They should eliminate the daddy ball going on with some of the panther feeder programs, because it's hurting their quality of player. When daddys are forming and coaching these teams in the early grades, they aren't out for Elder's best interest, they are out for their kids and their buddies best interest. Elder should take a stronger stance with the younger grades as well like they do with the 7th and 8th grade. The basketball talent in the frosh and JV classes is bare.

And yes, I usually stay away from saying a class is talented, but those 2 classes are significantly less talented and you can tell with just the eye test.

News flash. You're not an outsider. Maybe you didn't graduate from Elder, but you have been around long enough and followed Elder long enough to no longer be considered an outsider.

News flash. You're not an outsider. Maybe you didn't graduate from Elder, but you have been around long enough and followed Elder long enough to no longer be considered an outsider.
But people know I didn't go to Elder, so they immediately throw out my ideas as "personal attacks". They're not. It's just another view of things that you would think would be at least respected and debated. You don't have to agree with me, but it's not like the items I've brought up are completely out of left field.

IMO, people know these things exist, and are afraid to confront them because they want to stay tight with the in crowd and not ruffle feathers. But like I said, that's my opinion.

Having lived on the westside for a long time now, I have no issue calling out what I see with my own eyes. So many people get bent out of shape when I bring those topics up, which tells me I'm on to something. The reactions wouldn't be so vile and continuous if I didn't hit a nerve.

I love westsiders, but when it comes to this stuff, they will go to the ends of the earth to protect their establishment practices, because they know it benefits them. Alot of people say they love Elder, but really they love their kid playing at Elder. I'm convinced there's a large group of daddys who would rather see Elder struggle than have their kid not play. There's zero chance those pockets will ever be on board with Elder branching broader to get more athletes. Those spots are taken.

Last edited:
Somebody woke up one of the four Moeller posters. Did your new coach quit yet. Glad you like a lot of change.
And right on cue, a westsider gets butt-hurt for someone telling the truth about the west-side. Immediate protection and mob mode. Protecting the establishment.

Elder along with the entire West Side of Cincinnati don't deal with change very well. Your posts have been accurate for a long time!
How many times do you think Glen Galemmo has been turned out in prison? I wonder if Carl is jealous. No wonder he cries so much.

I also like how this loser thinks the attitudes differ drastically when comparing Sycamore township to Cleves/Miami Heights. News flash, both are mostly white & conservative. Isn’t mean Jean Schmidt their Rep? Yeah, she’s really progressive.

Last edited:
How many times do you think Glen Galemmo has been turned out in prison? I wonder if Carl is jealous. No wonder he cries so much.

I also like how this loser thinks the attitudes differ drastically when comparing Sycamore township to Cleves/Miami Heights. News flash, both are mostly white & conservative. Isn’t mean Jean Schmidt their Rep? Yeah, she’s really progressive.

When people from the eastside think of Elder, they think of Price Hill not Cleves/Miami Heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.