2023 EBC Baseball

Shoutout to Alliance, that a big sweep for them.

I have a feeling everyone in the EBC this season is able to beat anyone, but we have known this. Mainly saying in my opinion, there is no true top dog, which will turn this into a highly competitive league and make every game that much important.
Agreed. My speculations have changed quickly, I think Marlington, Alliance, and West Branch all have a shot for the title. Carrollton is sneaky good, too. We learned quickly that Salem is the most talented (this we already knew), but have very minimal depth, so I see them at the 3/4/5 spot. Should be interesting!

Agreed. My speculations have changed quickly, I think Marlington, Alliance, and West Branch all have a shot for the title. Carrollton is sneaky good, too. We learned quickly that Salem is the most talented (this we already knew), but have very minimal depth, so I see them at the 3/4/5 spot. Should be interesting!
Have you been able to check out a Salem game? I haven't seen anything live just curious how they look regarding the "eye test"?

We are looking good, Alazaus threw a great game and I was surprised with Frazier's performance as well. He kept our talented hitters off balance all night but the errors came back to bite Minerva in the end. We have to clean a few things up defensively and more offense is always needed but I am definitely pleased with how we are looking this early in the season.
Frazier is a quality pitcher. He did pitch well last year. I heard that Minerva imploded in the 2nd inning and made a few errors. I also heard one of better hitters and pitchers went down with an injury and hopefully he is ok. The more I hear about the Lions the better I feel. I guess they actually have some decent hitters. They struggle in a couple of positions defensively but Richeson is a good coach and he will make some adjustments. We only have 1 pitcher with varsity experience so the 2nd games of the league series will be a struggle.

I heard WB is really young and will be scary in the next couple of years.

Frazier is a quality pitcher. He did pitch well last year. I heard that Minerva imploded in the 2nd inning and made a few errors. I also heard one of better hitters and pitchers went down with an injury and hopefully he is ok. The more I hear about the Lions the better I feel. I guess they actually have some decent hitters. They struggle in a couple of positions defensively but Richeson is a good coach and he will make some adjustments. We only have 1 pitcher with varsity experience so the 2nd games of the league series will be a struggle.

I heard WB is really young and will be scary in the next couple of years.
True statement about WB.

And sending my prayers towards the injured player. Minerva is on an up swing I believe and I think it is great for the EBC.

Last night a 7-1 victory over Salem to finish our sweep was huge. We had quality at bats all day long vs the VT commit.

Jr Bruni had a super hard hit double up the middle and went 2-2 with 2BB on the day with a clean game behind the plate.

Sr Dylan Bell had himself a phenomenal day as he went 2-4 yesterday and 4 SB

Fr Bo Davis with a CLUTCH bases clearing double that put us ahead by 4 in the 5th.

and lastly a gem thrown by our guy Trasean Williams as he went 5.2 innings while allowing 2H and K’ing 5 last night.

Today, we had a quick one vs Southeast and their Ace, believe he’s a ‘24 grad and can get up to 87. 12-0 victory in 5. Another day with quality ABs against the guy.

Sr Rome Biggers went 2-3 with 3RBI and 2R and looked extremely sharp in the field.

Fr Bo Davis went 3-3 today at the dish with also 3RBI and a 2B

Jr Bruni had a 1B and an RBI today too.

Bump starter was Soph Valentino Fisk as he went 5in throwing 54 pitches and striking out 2.

Great stretch for my Flyers. I’m excited to see what the season holds for us.

West Branch beat Minerva 13-8. WB is a quality team. They will challenge for the league title, very good baseball team. I will say that Minerva is not as bad as advertised. They swing the bats very well, I was honestly surprised today. They hit the ball very well. I kept hearing that they will be overmatched but they really aren't. They have a decent lineup.

The EBC is looking very competitive this year. This is awesome! Sounds like Alliance is the team to beat.
Carrollton is really good. They play Alliance this week and that is going to be a very good match up. WB - Marlington will be a nice match up too. The jury is still out on both Minerva and Salem. I think Minerva may be better than most people think and Salem has some studs but had a rough start against Alliance. I think anything can happen in the EBC.

Played a very good Perry team last night @ home and won in a very close matchup 5-4. Perry is really good, don’t let their record fool you.

Played exceptionally good defense, and hit the ball well as it took a team effort to beat them.

Jr Ryan Bruni 2-3 with 2RBI
Fr Bo Davis 2-3 with 1RBI

Today, we lost a tough one vs Carrollton 3-2. I Went down to watch our Aviators lose in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the 8th as Birong doubled scoring Broadwater. We didn’t hit well tonight and that was the reason of our loss

Sr Trasean Williams started on the bump for us tonight, as he went 6in, and allowed 2ER and struck out 6.

Sr Hayden Jenkins started for Carrollton and went 7.2in and struck out 13..

Soph Michael Blackwell 1-3 1B 1BB

Sr Rome Biggers 1-4 1B 1RBI

Jr Ryan Bruni 1-4 1B

Sr Dylan Bell 1-2 HR

WB vs. Marlington

4-3 WB coming out on top.

We played clean defense per usual, pitching was solid, and what is helping us the most is how well we are playing small ball. Coach is doing a good job working with what he has. Marlington put up good at bats all night and doesn't strike out a ton but not having Denham hurts. Bates and Skelding have still been hitting well but two bats won't win that much in the league this season. Marlington is a great team but you can tell they are a little short handed this season.

Carrollton 3
Alliance 2
Wasn't there but I heard that this was a very good game and took 8 innings to decide. Both teams are for real. Should be another good one tonight.

Salem beat Minerva 11-1. Minerva made a crucial error in the 2nd and Salem took advantage and exploded after that. I heard that they hit very well.

some really big games again tonight

More of a reader in this chat but wanted to toss this out there. No dog in the fight either but this is embarrassing to not only the sport, but the school and the players. A buddy of mine told me Salem showed up at 4:45 for a 5pm first pitch tonight. If true, that is a complete lack of respect for the players on the team and is a terrible look. Salem has had 2/3 of their best seasons in school history the last 2 years and this is how you treat the team?? Absolutely embarrassing. Could you imagine a varsity basketball team arriving at 6:45 for a tip off? A football team at 6:45 for opening kick? I’m sure NBC was there and can either confirm or tell me Im wrong, but I absolutely can’t believe that. I just flipped the gamechanger on and saw the Wilms kid gave up 2 runs early. You can not expect a pitcher to go through a full routine that fast. Complete joke and things like this need to be brought to the administrations attention. Lack of respect for the program, which in all honesty seems to have been the best program in the school on the boys side the last 3 years.

More of a reader in this chat but wanted to toss this out there. No dog in the fight either but this is embarrassing to not only the sport, but the school and the players. A buddy of mine told me Salem showed up at 4:45 for a 5pm first pitch tonight. If true, that is a complete lack of respect for the players on the team and is a terrible look. Salem has had 2/3 of their best seasons in school history the last 2 years and this is how you treat the team?? Absolutely embarrassing. Could you imagine a varsity basketball team arriving at 6:45 for a tip off? A football team at 6:45 for opening kick? I’m sure NBC was there and can either confirm or tell me Im wrong, but I absolutely can’t believe that. I just flipped the gamechanger on and saw the Wilms kid gave up 2 runs early. You can not expect a pitcher to go through a full routine that fast. Complete joke and things like this need to be brought to the administrations attention. Lack of respect for the program, which in all honesty seems to have been the best program in the school on the boys side the last 3 years.
Their CC and wrestling have probably edged their baseball just slightly. But Salem’s dominance in baseball not too long ago where they went undefeated for the entirety of the season in conference play was unheard of and certainly one of the most impressive feats I have heard go through Salem in a while.
Nonetheless, if this is true, this is ridiculous. High level pitchers should have more than enough time to get adapted to the environment and hit their pre-game stretches. Makes you question the early struggles as a unit and for Wilms in this particular instance - how much of it is faulted to behind the scenes extremities rather than the players simply not performing?
I am at no intent of bashing any staff at Salem - Could also be something as minor as a bus arrival miscue or running behind for some outlying reason. If that be the case the issue falls moot.

More of a reader in this chat but wanted to toss this out there. No dog in the fight either but this is embarrassing to not only the sport, but the school and the players. A buddy of mine told me Salem showed up at 4:45 for a 5pm first pitch tonight. If true, that is a complete lack of respect for the players on the team and is a terrible look. Salem has had 2/3 of their best seasons in school history the last 2 years and this is how you treat the team?? Absolutely embarrassing. Could you imagine a varsity basketball team arriving at 6:45 for a tip off? A football team at 6:45 for opening kick? I’m sure NB there and can either confirm or tell me Im wrong, but I absolutely can’t believe that. I just flipped the gamechanger on and saw the Wilms kid gave up 2 runs early. You can not expect a pitcher to go through a full routine that fast. Complete joke and things like this need to be brought to the administrations attention. Lack of respect for the program, which in all honesty seems to have been the best program in the school on the boys side the last 3 years.
Minerva 3
Salem 2
I was their and yes I noticed they were late, wilms did pitch a very good game but Frazier was darn good too. Great win for the lions today!!

Last edited:
Utterly discussing to hear this. Although it has been an issue before but not quite 4:45. Shape up or ship out to those in charge. Our Salem boys deserve better. Congrats to Minerva on the win

Unreal. Embarrassing for their families. Hope someone brings it to the ADs attention.
Unreal. Embarrassing for their families. Hope someone brings it to the ADs attention.
I completely understand the frustration but I just want to say that Minerva played a very good game and deserved to win regardless is Salem's arrival. And Salem did not play a bad game but the Lions were 1 run better.

After looking at the box scores from the games, it looks like there were some exciting games this week. The league is still up in the air because anyone can beat anyone.

This is a problem in multiple districts. There is a bus driver shortage amongst everything else in society as well. I don’t know how their school system runs but if they are short drivers and they have to run elementary kids home and wait on them to return around 4 or after to get an available driver, that could be the reason. I’ve saw it a couple times already this year. Most of the time the opposing team knows ahead of time and the start is delayed. Even if it was unknown there is no way any reasonable umpire is letting them start without a warmup.

This is a problem in multiple districts. There is a bus driver shortage amongst everything else in society as well. I don’t know how their school system runs but if they are short drivers and they have to run elementary kids home and wait on them to return around 4 or after to get an available driver, that could be the reason. I’ve saw it a couple times already this year. Most of the time the opposing team knows ahead of time and the start is delayed. Even if it was unknown there is no way any reasonable umpire is letting them start without a warmup.
They were late but I don't feel that it had anything to do with the result. They warmed up, Wilms was throwing fine in the first inning. Minerva's first 5 hitters are as good as anyone and Isaiah Frazier is a very good pitcher and kept them off balance the entire game, just like he has done in all of his other starts. Keep in mind the Minerva finished the game with 9 hits and Salem played some good D to keep it at 2-2. In the last inning a freshman drew a walk, a freshman hit a long double, a bunt single loaded the bases and out lead off hitter, Frazier hit a lazy liner over the infield for the win. Salem played a good baseball game but Minerva was 1 run better and Salem being late had nothing to due with 3-2 result. Perhaps Salem underestimated Minerva but the credit goes to Minerva.

couple of big wins by WB I see!!

Many school districts are struggling with a shortage of school bus drivers which would definitely impact a district's ability to transport students to extra curricular events that are scheduled after school. Some districts are fortunate to have school vans in which coaches have been certified to be able to drive to offset a need for a bus, this definitely helps with teams that smaller numbers of athletes.

Facts:

1. Salem arrived late
2. Both teams played 7 innings
3. Minerva was the team that made the most of their opportunities and appeared to execute down the stretch.

One valuable takeaway from athletics is that it prepares you to handle adversity. Sounds like the "main argument" as to why Salem may not have performed "their best" is because of lack of proper warm up time. I say proper, because once off the bus, although they did take the field, stretch, throw, etc., there did not appear to be a sense or urgency to be efficient with the time they had.

Stop making excuses, pointing fingers, etc. If we as adults keep making excuses, our children then learn to accept those excuses and they will fail. The season is still young, there is a lot of ball left to play which allows these young men to continue to learn, grow and develop in the game of baseball and life.

Good luck to all!

The Quakers did not play a bad game. I have a feeling they will get some quality wins..
Players play. It is the duty of the coaching staff to put them in the best possible position to win and compete at the highest of their ability. Showing up 15 minutes prior to first pitch isn’t doing that. Some days you do lose but if you where not put in the position to fully compete at your best that’s where my frustration lies. Not taking anything away for Minerva at all

Many school districts are struggling with a shortage of school bus drivers which would definitely impact a district's ability to transport students to extra curricular events that are scheduled after school. Some districts are fortunate to have school vans in which coaches have been certified to be able to drive to offset a need for a bus, this definitely helps with teams that smaller numbers of athletes.

Facts:

1. Salem arrived late
3. Minerva was the team that made the most of their opportunities and appeared to execute down the stretch.

One valuable takeaway from athletics is that it prepares you to handle adversity. Sounds like the "main argument" as to why Salem may not have performed "their best" is because of lack of proper warm up time. I say proper, because once off the bus, although they did take the field, stretch, throw, etc., there did not appear to be a sense or urgency to be efficient with the time they had.

Stop making excuses, pointing fingers, etc. If we as adults keep making excuses, our children then learn to accept those excuses and they will fail. The season is still young, there is a lot of ball left to play which allows these young men to continue to learn, grow and develop in the game of baseball and life.

Good luck to all!
Not an excuse just putting it out there, any pitcher going to pitch in college has a MINIMUM 40 minute routine. Every arm that I’ve seen in the EBC the last 6 years has. Bruni, Lautenhizer, and the older Rhodes kid to name a few are ones that I’ve seen with my own eyes take an hour to warm up. Showing up that late and putting that pressure on a kid is just a bad look. Seemed like he still gave it his all, and ended up settling in once he was warmed up. Props to Minerva as that’s a huge win. Really curious to see how the league pans out. Anyone at WB or Marlington games last night? I haven’t seen any results. Thanks

The Quakers did not play a bad game. I have a feeling they will get some quality wins..
Agreed the talent on their team is very good. Just seems like the order has a couple holes, from what my buddy was telling me. Still haven’t been able to watch them play or any EBC teams. Been super caught up in the office. Busy time for me. But hopefully the weather stays nice and I can watch all the teams play at least 2 times before tournaments.

Facts:

1. Salem arrived late

Good luck to all!
Same point. Coaches should take vans like so many other schools do. Figure it out Quakers! And yes I’m calling out my own FITFO

Not an excuse just putting it out there, any pitcher going to pitch in college has a MINIMUM 40 minute routine. Every arm that I’ve seen in the EBC the last 6 years has. Bruni, Lautenhizer, and the older Rhodes kid to name a few are ones that I’ve seen with my own eyes take an hour to warm up. Showing up that late and putting that pressure on a kid is just a bad look. Seemed like he still gave it his all, and ended up settling in once he was warmed up. Props to Minerva as that’s a huge win. Really curious to see how the league pans out. Anyone at WB or Marlington games last night? I haven’t seen any results. Thanks
I get and respect what you are saying. But he really didn't pitch a bad first inning. Lead off hitter reached on an error, 2 hitter walked after are few foul balls and a good AB, 3 hitter infield hit to SS that wasn't hit hard enough to make a play, 4 hitter popped out and 5 hitter singled on a grounder that got through because infield was in. Then he struck out 6 and 7. He did a really good job holding them to 2 runs. The kid really battled. I thought Minerva was going to really struggle and I am pleasantly surprised how well they hit in the games a saw this year. The top 5 hitters are tough outs. There line up is much better than is has been for a few years, so far!! They scattered 9 hits yesterday and Wilms showed a lot of toughness getting out of some spots. Frazier was equally impressive.