• Sycamore Mohawk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Henry

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Attendance 4,265 for Richmond Hts / Russia..

only a few hundred less than Crestview/Hiland

Horrible attendance today for each game

I think the biggest challenge for Richmond Heights is the battle against over confidence. It's a tough battle when everyone keeps telling you how good you are. I think the Russia game was an eye opener for them. As good as they are they are still just kids. I would not be surprised to see the state final end up being a win by a larger margin.

What’s your obsession with Richmond Height’s fans and student section? This is a hoops forum, talk hoops. I recommend you create a separate thread on the Richmond Heights crowd.
Actually community amd fans are a big part of high school hoops hence the discussion. Nothing wrong with not having many fans there at all. People just notice that's all. Richmond Heights has a lot more people in their city then places like Berlin or Russia which is why people wonder. Nothing against RH. They are a great team. If they truly wanted competition they wouldn't "make sure" they stayed in D4 and would play at least in D3. That's a fact and people will talk about it so im not sure what you expect.

Looks like Richmond Heights had about 10-15 students in their student section who all look like middle school kids.
0D7B0BF0-258C-425F-BCB9-BDB8FE2C9241.jpeg

Actually community amd fans are a big part of high school hoops hence the discussion. Nothing wrong with not having many fans there at all. People just notice that's all. Richmond Heights has a lot more people in their city then places like Berlin or Russia which is why people wonder. Nothing against RH. They are a great team. If they truly wanted competition they wouldn't "make sure" they stayed in D4 and would play at least in D3. That's a fact and people will talk about it so im not sure what you expect.
They are a big part in small communities where there is nothing else to do or live for. It’s sad that the most important thing a lot of people will ever do in their lifetime in these small communities happened when they were teenagers at a sporting event. It’s really kind of sad.

Richmond Heights is a great example of why many have lost interest in HS basketball in Ohio. Looked it up and Richmond Heights has a population of over 10,000, yet they are playing in the D4 division. Most communities of 10,000 are D2. Russia has a population of 650, a true D4 community. This doesn't pass the smell test. It is obvious RH is a glorified AAU all star team. Not denying that they are a very talented team. Look at the make up of this years State Tournament participants. Mostly private schools along with Africentric and RH, public schools in name only that have extreme advantages from drawing athletes from large population areas. There is no way small town teams can compete with this. I don't see it changing. It is what it is, and it is leading to the death of HS sports.

Richmond Heights is a great example of why many have lost interest in HS basketball in Ohio. Looked it up and Richmond Heights has a population of over 10,000, yet they are playing in the D4 division. Most communities of 10,000 are D2. Russia has a population of 650, a true D4 community. This doesn't pass the smell test. It is obvious RH is a glorified AAU all star team. Not denying that they are a very talented team. Look at the make up of this years State Tournament participants. Mostly private schools along with Africentric and RH, public schools in name only that have extreme advantages from drawing athletes from large population areas. There is no way small town teams can compete with this. I don't see it changing. It is what it is, and it is leading to the death of HS sports.
Well said

And Russia is a 45 minute drive to Dayton and RH is 3 hrs. Whatever. Games aren’t scored by how many fans are in
They are a big part in small communities where there is nothing else to do or live for. It’s sad that the most important thing a lot of people will ever do in their lifetime in these small communities happened when they were teenagers at a sporting event. It’s really kind of sad.
Moron.

I agree with a lot of this, but population alone of a community does not necessarily correlate with school age population. Check Wikipedia or a similar source. Richmond Heights as a community has a relatively high median age (46) and only 18% or so of those 10,000 people are 18 or younger. I imagine they also have relatively high rates of open enrollment and private school enrollment with kids going elsewhere.

It’s entirely possible for a community of 10K to find themselves in D3/D4 without trying. Many urban, and an increasingly large number of rural communities, have residents that have raised their kids and remain in their homes. Without available housing, a community is not inviting to younger families. It’s been mentioned on here before, but there are kids leaving RH to attend neighboring districts, charters and private schools. Factor those things together and you have a small student body. A quick look at Google Maps shows a community with little land to develop and grow. Many green spaces are designated park areas, so I would anticipate them being in a lower division going forward. I am not entirely familiar this situation, but some of these parents might be moving their families to RH to escape neighborhoods like this one in East Cleveland:
1679152896078.jpeg

Horribly coached team attempting to take charges
I do think they are a fairly well coached team. It's not just some jumble of talented pieces. When the ball has energy and moves they are really good.

One of the constant "targets" of ire, Harvest Prep in D3, I think is an extremely well coached team and well run program.

And you have me all wrong amigo. I’m for kids going anywhere they want to improve their situation. But I am against trying to add make believe layers to arguments why people may have issues with AAU high school basketball teams
Every school at state is just the AAU team for that area. Funny listening to white rural AAU teams complain about those cheater urban AAU teams 😂

Every school at state is just the AAU team for that area. Funny listening to white rural AAU teams complain about those cheater urban AAU teams 😂
Russia is a white rural AAU team? AAU teams aren’t predominantly from the same school system that they went to grade school. Let me know which major AAU teams out there that are from the same grade school. I’ll hang up and listen. Again….I’m all for Richmond Heights doing what they are if it improves lives. Just don’t portray what they do as the same as MAC teams because it isn’t. Doing that just tries to pull a card in to this game that doesn’t belong.

Wrong. The rural teams from west central and northwest Ohio that are good rarely have transfers. Maybe SE and East district teams do. I think Crestview has one, Etzler, and it's because his dad moved home from the Columbus area (Teays Valley??) to be the basketball coach at his alma mater. His kid was probably going into either 8th or 9th grade when he took the job.

I will say this. If somebody actually put together a SCAL elite, MAC elite, WBL elite, NWC elite, etc., team, that team would be awfully damn good in D3 or D4 and would win at least half the time at state against the teams everyone loves to complain about.

Wrong. The rural teams from west central and northwest Ohio that are good rarely have transfers. Maybe SE and East district teams do. I think Crestview has one, Etzler, and it's because his dad moved home from the Columbus area (Teays Valley??) to be the basketball coach at his alma mater. His kid was probably going into either 8th or 9th grade when he took the job.
I know white schools transfers go for academics and black schools athletics. Northwest logic