OHSAA D1 Chatter

Of course all the heavy favorites will win their weight classes, they're that good, but if you had to bet your house, your pickup, and your dog, who would you bet it all on as winning his D-I weight class?

Really looking forward to the Eagles early matchups and the overall team race.

I think Perrysburg pushes 5 into the finals. Eds, maybe 3. Can Perrysburg do enough to push the Eagles? Can the depth of Brecksville make a run?

Can't wait for Friday!

(BTW Make the State Tournament a Thursday-Saturday event again)

I actually think St Ed's got some rough draws in some key weight classes, which makes the team race a lot closer than people think. Kade Brown, Butler, Sanderfer, and O'Brien all got brutal draws, imo.

I actually think St Ed's got some rough draws in some key weight classes, which makes the team race a lot closer than people think. Kade Brown, Butler, Sanderfer, and O'Brien all got brutal draws, imo.
Agreed- What happens if Butler has back-to-back tough weeks, an early upset w/ Brown in the loaded 113 class, Eaton has been an enigma on the mat this year???

Lots of question marks and one has to feel the top guys for Perrysburg (Blaze bros, Avalos, Denkins, and Takats are certainly going to put up points and i'm sure a handful of bonus which could be huge.

Agreed- What happens if Butler has back-to-back tough weeks, an early upset w/ Brown in the loaded 113 class, Eaton has been an enigma on the mat this year???

Lots of question marks and one has to feel the top guys for Perrysburg (Blaze bros, Avalos, Denkins, and Takats are certainly going to put up points and i'm sure a handful of bonus which could be huge.
Exactly. Avalos, for the second year in a row, is on the opposite side of virtually any title contender. Takats won against Miller, and rightfully won the lotto to be away from Miller and Vanadia. So both of those guys should walk to the finals. Denkins has a tough second round match though. Both Blaze brothers will bonus into the finals. So at minimum 4 in the finals with a lot of bonus points a long the way. Denkins top 3 guy. Evans and Dodd should place and score points. I will say, on the flip side, Jake Wood did get a pretty brutal draw himself at 157. He's probably going to have to beat Metzger again to place. Chavez doesn't have a good draw and neither does Parrish. However, St Ed's draws effect the guys that we expected to be on the podium, where Perrysburgs bad draws are mostly for their fringe placer guys.

Of course all the heavy favorites will win their weight classes, they're that good, but if you had to bet your house, your pickup, and your dog, who would you bet it all on as winning his D-I weight class?
Not really convinced that there are all that many "heavy" favorites, unless you call six a lot. I see the Blaze brothers, Joy, Denkins, McDanel, and Russo as fairly heavy favorites.

Last edited:
120 Weight Class:
1. KF-1 Aiden Allen, Cincinnati LaSalle, (11), 37-8
2. PB-4 Adam Butler, Lakewood St. Edward, (10), 36-9 (22:I-106-2nd)

I think these two will wrestle twice this weekend. Whomever wins the first one loses in semi final to Blaze. That sets up a rematch in the conso semi final.

Last edited:
Just from a number’s perspective I thought all 14 for St Ed’s and 10 for Perrysburg was a bit of a win for St Ed’s especially with Waugh winning his district giving him a 1 seed. Could have easily been 13 and 11. That being said I don’t love St Ed’s draws. Agree with Snapinscore, Kade Brown, Butler, Sanderfer, and O'Brien got tough draws as did Waugh being a district one and getting Teddy Gregory first round. Though obviously Butler’s was self inflicted. Don’t really love Gregory getting Andrews in round 2 either. On the other side I like Peterson’s draw and think he has a good chance to place. And I like Slaper’s draw as well.

Just from a number’s perspective I thought all 14 for St Ed’s and 10 for Perrysburg was a bit of a win for St Ed’s especially with Waugh winning his district giving him a 1 seed. Could have easily been 13 and 11. That being said I don’t love St Ed’s draws. Agree with Snapinscore, Kade Brown, Butler, Sanderfer, and O'Brien got tough draws as did Waugh being a district one and getting Teddy Gregory first round. Though obviously Butler’s was self inflicted. Don’t really love Gregory getting Andrews in round 2 either. On the other side I like Peterson’s draw and think he has a good chance to place. And I like Slaper’s draw as well.
Karson Brown also got a noce draw in a tough bracket. And Eaton got an absolute gift.

Division I – predicted state placer order of finish
106: 1. Ethan Timar (St. Edward), 2. Rylan Seacrist (Brecksville), 3. Emeric McBurney (Massillon Perry), 4. Huggy Williams (Olentangy Liberty), 5. Ayden Dodd (Perrysburg), 6. Brock Blankenhorn (Mount Vernon), 7. Kurt Mokros (Olentangy), 8. Adam Gelman (Sycamore)

113: 1. Kaiyon McKinney (Elyria), 2. Mason Rohr (Massillon Perry), 3. Karson Brown (St. Edward), 4. Jaxson Rosselli (Olentangy Liberty), 5. Johnny Green (Aurora), 6. Konner Lambers (Elder), 7. Brett Stanley (Brecksville), 8. Garrison Weisner (Oregon Clay)

120: 1. Marcus Blaze (Perrysburg), 2. Micah Medina (Oregon Clay), 3. Adam Butler (St. Edward), 4. Andrew Myers (Upper Arlington), 5. Aiden Allen (Cincinnati LaSalle), 6. Jack Dinwiddie (Wadsworth), 7. Joey Thamann (Elder), 8. Salvatore Palmisano (Mayfield)

126: 1. Ryan Avalos (Perrysburg), 2. Austin McBurney (Massillon Perry), 3. Joseph Sanderfer (St. Edward), 4. Phoenix Contos (Toledo Waite), 5. Jace Jett (Brecksville), 6. Joseph Baumann (Dublin Coffman), 7. Jayden Cochran (Miamisburg), 8. Marshall Morency (Anderson)

132: 1. Jaxon Joy (Wadsworth), 2. Kaden Jett (Brecksville), 3. Vinnie D’Alessandro (Mayfield), 4. Kade Brown (St. Edward), 5. Nick Blackburn (Mentor), 6. Cole Evans (Perrysburg), 7. Holden Huhn (Cincinnati LaSalle), 8. Ty Harter (Loveland)

138: 1. Omar Ayoub (Dublin Coffman), 2. Ryan Bennett (St. Edward), 3. Dy’Vaire Van Dyke (Walsh Jesuit), 4. Wyatt Brock (Harrison), 5. Chase Pluhar (Brecksville), 6. Londen Murphy (Moeller), 7. Antonio Shelley (Mentor), 8. Diego Chavez (Perrysburg)

144: 1. Brock Herman (Brecksville), 2. Jeremy Ginter (Toledo Whitmer), 3. Ty Wilson (Dublin Scioto), 4. Israel Petite (Nordonia), 5. Lucan O’Brien (St. Edward), 6. Matthew Szczepaniak (Lakota West), 7. Nick Hart (Marysville), 8. Greyson Woodcock (Dublin Coffman)

150: 1. Wynton Denkins (Perrysburg), 2. Conner Kleinberg (Springboro), 3. Eugene Harney (Sycamore), 4. Christian Giltz (Massillon Perry), 5. Bradley Eaton (St. Edward), 6. Jake Keirn (Wadsworth), 7. Tyler Deericks (Olentangy Liberty), 8. Connor Holm (Elyria)

157: 1. Ethan Birden (Dublin Coffman), 2. Chris Earnest (Wadsworth), 3. Maclain Morency (Anderson), 4. Logan Smalley (Reynoldsburg), 5. Jake Wood (Perrysburg), 6. Andrew Supers (Medina), 7. Jack Willen (Cincinnati LaSalle), 8. Evan Rizzo (Brecksville)

165: 1. Joey Blaze (Perrysburg), 2. Tyrel Miller (St. Edward), 3. Brandon Batson (Glen Oak), 4. Carson Thomas (Cincinnati LaSalle), 5. Tyler Hicks (Beavercreek), 6. Carson Mize (Marysville), 7. Jack Marconi (Avon Lake), 8. Jack Hoffman (Springboro)

175: 1. Myles Takats (Perrysburg), 2. Jarrel Miller (St. Edward), 3. Luke Vanadia (Brecksville), 4. Jeremy Olszko (Nordonia), 5. Andrew Liber (Toledo St. Francis), 6. Colton Powers (Marysville), 7. Matthew Kowalski (Springboro), 8. Sam Libby (Mason)

190: 1. Camden McDanel (Teays Valley), 2. Brady Quillin (Olentangy Liberty), 3. Wyatt Ferguson (Oak Hills), 4. Coen Grimm (Wadsworth), 5. Myles Johnson (Springboro), 6. Johnny Slaper (St. Edward), 7. Lukas Stiles (Medina Highland), 8. Gage Yackee (Toledo St. Francis)

215: 1. Dylan Russo (Olentangy Liberty), 2. Max Vanadia (Brecksville), 3. Brentan Simmerman (Little Miami), 4. Teddy Gregory (Stow), 5. Antonio Bottiggi (Painesville Riverside), 6. Will Adkins (Moeller), 7. Alex Taylor (Mount Vernon), 8. Aiden Weimer (Springboro)

285: 1. Aidan Fockler (Massillon Perry), 2. Aaron Ries (Wadsworth), 3. Roosevelt Andrews (Barberton), 4. Lucas Stuerenberg (Moeller), 5. Nate Gregory (St. Edward), 6. Mustafa Woodi (Shaker Hts), 7. Abel Ngoh (Miamisburg), 8. Richard Thornton (Springboro)

Not that long ago, Micah Medina was a #18 at 126 (if I remember correctly). He had wrestled Blaze fairly well last year, but this year - after moving down to 120, it hasn't been that close. Be interesting to see if he can come through like he did his freshman year by taking first at district by beating both the #2 and #3 ranked guys at 106. Then - Covid and no state tourney.

I hope Clay gets at least one guy on the podium. Weisner coming on strong, but has a tough field to deal with.

Not that long ago, Micah Medina was a #18 at 126 (if I remember correctly). He had wrestled Blaze fairly well last year, but this year - after moving down to 120, it hasn't been that close. Be interesting to see if he can come through like he did his freshman year by taking first at district by beating both the #2 and #3 ranked guys at 106. Then - Covid and no state tourney.

I hope Clay gets at least one guy on the podium. Weisner coming on strong, but has a tough field to deal with.
Don’t know about Weisner but 113 D1 looks ridiculous.

Traditionally St. Edward meets or exceeds expectations. They do a great job in the consolation brackets that beef up those team points. They traditionally have a very high winning percentage in 3rd and 5th place matches. All that said, in a year where they aren't likely to win 4 weight classes, you never know. D I is loaded and a tight team race is quite likely.

In the past, has there ever been a district that was not represented in the state finals?
That's an interesting question that I've never seen before. (y)

EDIT: Without digging, I'm gonna say there must have been.

Last edited:
So is there any stream for the early rounds? With technology and the impetus to grow the sport, it'd be a real shame if there was no streaming until the finals.